Oct

Open Thread: Same old A.J.

Unhappy with being a platoon DH, Lance Berkman will now be performing the YMCA with the grounds crew after the sixth inning. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The big news from A.J. Burnett‘s simulated game this afternoon is not that he threw 80-plus pitches for the first time in close to two weeks, not that he felt great about his curveball and changeup, but that he plunked two batters. In a simulated game. He got Greg Golson with a two-seamer on his fifth pitch (after his first sailed to the backstop) before getting Austin Kearns with another two-seamer later on. It wouldn’t be an A.J. Burnett outing without erratic command so this is just par for the course. I can’t wait until those two pitches to Golson and Kearns are extrapolated into more #LowPitchingIQ articles and the like. It wouldn’t be the same old A.J. without ‘em.

Oh, and apparently Mark Teixeira has a black eye. He says he got it while messing around with his son. Whatever, as long as he keeps hitting bombs and catching everything hit within a time zone of first base, he can do whatever he wants off the field.

Here’s tonight’s open thread. The Knicks are playing the Celtics in preseason action (meh), and both the Isles and Devils are playing real games that mean something (not against each other). Yeah, it’s that kind of night. You guys and gals know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Apollo22237 says:

Lance Berkman doing the YMCA would be pretty darn funny.

2. Carlosologist says:

Game 1 of the NLCS will be legendary. I’m expecting perfect games from both.

3. Big Stein says:

Oh, and apparently Mark Teixeira has a black eye. He says he got it while for messing around on his wife with his son.

/fixed

4. Richard Iurilli says:

Random thought: Lance Berkman has a very large chin.

5. danny says:

2010: season of the mysterious black eye?

6. Tom Zig says:

Didn’t Kearns strike out in the simulated game?

• Apollo22237 says:

Kinda. They announced that Kearns was up next, then instead of wasting pitches, they automatically put the K in the scorebook.

7. Kit says:

My brain has decided to make up for the lack of actual baseball by making my dreams about baseball. Cliff Lee pitched game one and the score was 23-0, Rangers. I have never disliked sleeping more.

• bexarama says:

Didn’t you also have some dream where Andy got over his injury then said he wasn’t coming back because he “didn’t fuckin’ feel like it” or something like that? Was that you? If so, your baseball dreams are TURRRRRRIBLE. ;___________;

• Kit says:

Yep, it was me. And I hate my baseball dreams so much =(

• CBean says:

Shortly before the ALDS started I had an anxiety dream that Hughes got hurt and AJ had to make his start. And I’m one of the minority rooting for AJ and I still woke up nauseous at the thought.

But it was fine. Hughes was fantastic.

/knocks on wood anyway

• Kit says:

That sim is either unintentionally funny or intentionally mean.

• vin says:

Oh man, I pitted the 2010 Yanks up against the ’09 Yanks. I ran the simulation 3 times, and the ’09 Yanks were up 3-0. Then the ’10 version came back to win the next 4. I can’t wait until this 30 for 30 documentary gets made. This is what dreams are made of.

• bexarama says:

Every single simulated game on that thing is utterly absurd, I’ve found. Like, I was just running 2009 NYY vs. 2010 NYY and in Game 2, 2010 Pettitte gave up eight runs over five innings. He struck out 12, and walked in four runs. Apparently Andy Pettitte = Nolan Ryan now

• bexarama says:

…I should also add that he got the ~win~ because 2010 Alex Rodriguez hit five home runs, including a grand slam. Yes. Five. You read that right.

• vin says:

In game 6 of my ’09 Yanks vs. ’10 Yanks, I had CC starting vs. CC. ’10 CC pitched a CG shutout. Pure domination. ’09 CC gave up 8 runs in 4 innings. The ’10 squad won 14-0.

• Ray the Anti-Handle says:

Sooo, I’m pitting the 1927 team vs the 2010 team. CHoP was on the team. He gave up 13 runs in 3 innings in relief. Ouch.

• yankees1717 says:

oh man, put the 2010 yanks vs. the 08 yanks, and the 10 yanks won 11(!!!) straight games including four 10-run blowouts. wow.

• Kiersten says:

Is it weird that baseball is like 96% of my life and I NEVER have baseball dreams. I’m usually good about remembering my dreams but I cannot remember one baseball dream I’ve had.

• Not weird at all. I’ve never dreamed about baseball as far as I know.

• Kit says:

I don’t think it’s weird. I don’t have baseball dreams often, but when I do they seem more like anxiety dreams. I just think I’m crazy or overly anxious or something.

• first time lawng time says:

I’ve had one. It was back during that 4 game set vs Tampa and I dreamt that we had a 5 run lead, Wood comes in and gives up 8, we come back Mo blown save.

I’ve also had dreams about some of the players but they were not baseball related so we won’t get into that.

8. vin says:

Is anyone else going through baseball withdrawls? The waiting is the hardest part.

9. Kevin in Princeton says:

Two things:
    1. AJ hasn’t pitched in a while, I’ll cut him some slack in a simulated game for being pretty wild.
    2. Why the hell is everyone on the Yankees getting a black eye?

10. The Yankees taught him well. Marcus Thames was a raw talent, with only one year of high school ball, but the organization knew how to prepare him.

“Don Mattingly came down to the instructional league one fall,” Thames said, recalling how the retired Yankee star worked as a part-time instructor, just to pass along the Yankee techniques, the Yankee mystique.

“But really, it was everybody,” Thames said, with Champagne falling all around him in the Yankee clubhouse on Saturday night, after the Yankees had beaten the Twins, 6-1, to sweep their American League division series.

Thames, 33, in his second tour of duty with the Yankees, hit a two-run homer to double their early lead to 4-0 as they poleaxed the Twins, their foils from the Central Division.

“Eight more to go,” Thames said, in a quote straight out of the Yankee Handbook of Standard Phrases to Maintain a Sense of Entitlement.

I can neither confirm nor deny the rumors of me being one of the ghostwriters of that Yankee Handbook of Standard Phrases to Maintain a Sense of Entitlement.

11. Carlosologist says:

(h/t to Carcillo for providing the link)

I got bored, so I decided to answer the year-long question: Are the 2009 Yankees better than the 2010 Yankees? Box score: http://whatifsports.com/slb/Bo.....id=2912387

12. JMK says:

Let me preface this by saying my predictions are historically awful. But for some reason – against all rational and logical thought – I fully expect A.J. to dominate in his start. I can’t explain it; just a premonition.

13. CBean says:

You know the fact that they came out and was like, Yeah, Tex was wrestling with his kid, and we still don’t know what happened with AJ makes it all the more intriguing.

14. Richard Iurilli says:

“#Yankees announce rotation is Sabathia, Hughes, Pettitte, Burnett. Roster is identical to ALDS.”

15. CBean says:

In AJ’s defense, Golson was asking for it. He knows what he did.

(not really. just bored. i miss baseball.)

16. Joey says:

So TSJC, don’t know if I’m late or it’s been said in a previous thread, but… http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/.....id=5682536

Figured you’d be interested

17. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

You know, in Sim matchup baseball, The Rangers with Lee kick the Yankees with CC’s asses.

I’m crushed. Crushed.

18. Bryan says:

I really, really want them to win Game 1 and 2.

19. vin says:

As much as I wanted to see CC pitch 3 times, this rotation does make sense.

Love Hughes pitching on the road to the righty-heavy Rangers.

Love Andy (the lefty) pitching at YS3, and in a potential game 7.

Love CC being able to work out of the pen in game 7 should the need arise (grasping at straws now).

If AJ has to start (and he does), might as well do it against Hunter. Hunter has a hr/9 rate of 1.5 (could be trouble in YS3). He also doesn’t strike people out (has the same so/9 as Mitre).

Maybe having the left-handed CC make 3 out of 7 starts isn’t the best plan.

20. 1927 Yankees vs 2004 Red Sox

Game 1: 6-4 Red Sox
    Game 2: 13-5 Yankes
    Game 3: 13-4 Yankees
    Game 4: 9-2 Yankees
    Game 5: 12-4 Yankees

THE CAKE IS A LIE BOSTON!

21. vin says:

Great post from Replacement Level Yankees Weblog regarding Mo and his pitch frequency (location):

Sweet heatmaps. Really begins to shed a light on Mo’s greatness.

22. candyforstalin says:

i still can’t shake that 4th inning from lee last night. beauty walks a razor’s edge.

23. Steve H says:

Nancy (Bx, NY)
    Hey,Hate to focus in on 1 player like this right now, but I’d really like to know : if Cano plays better than hamilton during this series, does that up his chances of getting mvp by much?.. Do you think his chances are already strong enough and he can really win it? Thanks

Wallace Matthews
    (2:28 PM)
    Hey, Nancy. It’s not supposed to. The MVP voters are supposed to consider only a player’s regular-season performance, and considering Hamilton missed much of September, I would say Cano is right there in the conversation

Sounds like Wally doesn’t know the ballots have already been cast. Good hire though ESPN.

24. swisher's fauxhawk says:

You know, I never realized how physically hideous Boston’s starting rotation was.

25. first time lawng time says:
    …Is that where your poster name comes from?

tommiesmithjohncarlos a/k/a Ridiculous Upside the Elder says:
    Yes ma’am. Tommie Smith and John Carlos are two of my athletic (and political) heroes.

Sayid J. says:
    Don’t forget Ridiculous Upside the Elder.

We’re fast approaching the two year anniversary of the birth of my Ridiculous Upside moniker, you know.

December 9th, 2008.

Although, Mike made the initial joke (and I made the initial joke response) a month earlier on that Veterans Day.

26. VO says:

Since the start of the playoffs I made a vow to only wear Yankee shirts. Tomorrow I am visiting Boston, needless to say I’m excited to piss of Sox fans.

27. Jerome S. says:

I saw a thing on the 1993 WS today, and how Mitch Williams blew game six for the Phillies.

Ha.
    Seriously, it really made me appreciate even more how great it is to have Mo. We will not truly know how great his value to this team is until some time after he’s gone and we lose a big postseason game in the ninth inning.

28. candyforstalin says:

adventureland’s a charming little film.

29. Alex C. says:

Tex has a black eye? Oh boy…

30. bonestock94 says:

Oh man, does anyone else stare at their school material for hours on end without accomplishing anything? Such a freaking drag…

31. It'sATarp says:

Can tex’s son give AJ another black eye