Oct

Open Thread: Yankee Statistical Leaders

(AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Now that the season’s over and we’re just killing time before the ALDS starts, let’s take a second to look back on some of the Yankees statistical leaders this season …

Position Players (min. 150 PA)

AVG: Robbie Cano (.319), Nick Swisher (.288), Marcus Thames (.288)
OBP: Brett Gardner (.383), Cano (.381), Mark Teixeira (.365)
SLG: Cano (.534), Swish (.511), Alex Rodriguez (.506)
ISO: A-Rod (.236), Tex (.225), Swish (.223)
wOBA: Cano (.389), Swish (.377), Tex (.367)
HR: Tex (33), A-Rod (30), Swish & Cano (29)
RBI: A-Rod (125), Cano (109), Tex (108)
2B: Cano (41), Tex (36), Swish (33)
BB: Tex (93), Gardner (79), Derek Jeter (63)
K: Swish (139), Tex (122), Curtis Granderson (116)
SB: Gardner (47), Jeter (18), Granderson (12)
fWAR: Cano (6.4), Gardner (5.4), Swish (4.2)
bWAR: Cano (6.1), Tex (4.2), Swish & Gardner (4.0)

Pitchers (min. 40 IP)

ERA: Mariano Rivera (1.80), CC Sabathia (3.18), Andy Pettitte (3.28)
FIP: Mo (2.81), Joba Chamberlain (2.98), Sabathia (3.54)
xFIP: Joba (3.34), Mo (3.65), Sabathia (3.78)
IP: Sabathia (237.2), A.J. Burnett (186.2), Phil Hughes (176.1)
K/9: David Robertson (10.42), Joba (9.67), Sabathia (7.46)
BB/9: Mo (1.65), Sergio Mitre (2.67), Joba (2.76)
K/BB: Mo (4.09), Joba (3.50), Sabathia (2.66)
GB%: Ivan Nova (51.4), Mo (51.2), Mitre (50.9)
AVG: Mo (.187), Mitre (.220), Sabathia (.238)
fWAR: Sabathia (5.1), Hughes (2.4), Pettitte (2.1)
bWAR: Sabathia (5.4), Pettitte (3.1), Mo (3.0)

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. You’re on your own as far as entertainment goes; there’s no baseball, football, preseason hockey, nothing. You guys are smart, you’ll figure it out. Have at it, and don’t forget to become a fan of RAB Tickets on Facebook for a chance to win a Yankee hat.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

Watch this video to get psyched up, but they didn’t include the 2003 ALDS game I was at lol whatevs.

2. Carlosologist says:

MLBN used wOBA to compare Shane Victorino and Drew Stubbs. Progress!

3. Shameless self promo…did an interview with Josh Norris, who covers the Thunder for the Trentonian. Tons of praise for Laird, Brackman, Banuelos and Stoneburner (I had to think about that for a minute, nearly called him Stonebrenner…) Some real good stuff.

And I’m doing a live chat at eight, not that you’d be interested in such a thing….

4. first time lawng time says:

A couple things:
    1. Marcus Thames is 3rd in avg?…didn’t see that one coming.
    2. What is ISO?
    3. Are you guys going to do a post on the best moments from the second half like you did for the first half?

5. JGS says:

So, because we spent a huge amount of time on this and because you love us, come vote on what you think was the craziest, most unpredictable things to happen in 2010

6. Steve H says:

When is the last time a Yankees OBP leader was as low as .383? I’m guessing quite a while.

7. S.King says:

can someone tell me: where can i legitimately purchase an online viewing of TBS’s coverage of the ALDS. i don’t want to watch “10 camera angles”– i want the actual TV programming, etc.

is that possible?

8. You’re on your own as far as entertainment goes; there’s no baseball, football, preseason hockey, nothing. You guys are smart, you’ll figure it out.

Let’s have monkey knife fights in international waters.

9. forensic says:

How can you say there is nothing on TV??? Troy and Middle Tennessee State are battling in an hour! You can throw out the record books when those two behemoths meet.

10. first time lawng time says:

Posada’s not in any of those categories above, because he sucks. lol whatevs

11. Guest says:

Check out Joba’s FIP and xFIP. He pitched really well this year. Incredibly bad luck in the first half of the season. His FIP and xFIP + Stuff + K/BB ratio = massive positive correction next season? Let’s hope.

• bexarama says:

IMO, you can’t just blindly look at FIP/xFIP for Joba. He genuinely was not locating well at all, and he was getting hit hard when he didn’t locate, which is what usually happens. He got much better in the second half of the season, IMO. He’s really talented, so he’s got great stuff and could still strike out guys/not walk too many even when he was struggling, but I couldn’t just write off his struggles as “well he was getting unlucky.” I’m certainly not giving up on him.

(Also watch out, ZZ’s gonna get ya)

• Guest says:

But how could a guy who was locating terribly still strike out guys at a rate of one guy per inning while walking very few?

I understand that a guy with great stuff could look nasty against one hitter strike him out, and then miss badly on location with other hitters. But doesn’t every pitcher miss on location? I’ve seen CC, Mo, and many others look nasty for extended periods of time, but even they still make mistakes during their hot stretches. It’s just that not every mistake gets hit hard in fair territory without getting caught for an out. I think Joba had a stretch where he was incredibly unlucky and an unusual percentage of his mistakes were getting crushed and finding green (or the seats).

I mean, if a guy can locate well enough to consistently strike people out and not walk anyone, I find it hard to believe that he can still make SO MANY mistakes that his ERA would be as bad as Joba’s was as of late July. I think I saw somewhere that Joba had the second worst ERA among relievers who threw a certain minimum number of innings as of late July. Think of all the bad relievers there are in baseball. There are (figuritively) too many to name. And Joba’s ERA was worse than almost all of them. All while sporting very impressive K/9,K/BB, FIP and xFIP rates.

Given his performance in the second half of the season and his prior track record (admittedly uneven but MUCH better than the first half of this season), I think the ridiculously large number of runs he gave up in the first half of the season can be chalked up more to luck than to anything else.

• Ed says:

When he missed his spots, he was getting too much of the plate.

If you’re not getting enough of the strike zone, you walk a lot of guys. If you’re getting too much of the strike zone, you’ll give up a lot of hits. He was very inconsistent at the time. He’d dominate one night, then get lit up the next. My feeling is that he had an issue repeating his mechanics, but that’s just a guess with nothing to back it.

One thing to keep in mind with all the BABIP and luck and all that averaging out – that’s all based on the assumption that you’ve got typical major league pitching. Have someone throw fastballs down the middle instead of aiming at the edges of the strike zone and you’ll see line drive rates and BABIP jump up. Rates that are out of line could just be luck, or they could be signs of a real problem.

• Guest says:

I saw the games and I saw him get way too much of the plate. But every pitcher misses his spot and gets way too much of the plate. Seriously, count the number of times fastballs over the plate are fouled back, inexplicably taken for a strike, or turn into loud outs.

I will concede that Joba was likely doing this more often during his down stretch than he was during others. I just don’t think he was missing his spots nearly as much as we remember. I don’t see how he could have been striking people out and not walking people at elite rates if he was missing his spots often enough to have one of the worst ERAs in the game. I think his results were so out of line with his career performance before and after this down stretch as well as so out of line with his rate stats that I find it hard to believe that most of his problems weren’t caused by bad luck.

• ZZ says:

(Also watch out, ZZ’s gonna get ya)

Heh :)

12. Gonzo says:

Do you guys think A-Rod will ever lead the team in WAR again?

My gut says yes if he can avoid injury, but I am not sure.

13. Hey, does anyone think we should pursue Gerald Laird this winter to upgrade Frankie Cervelli?

/on-topicsinceit’sanopenthread’d
    /Idon’tactuallycareaboutthis’d
    /throwingthatonecommenterabone’d

14. first time lawng time says:

So even though Liriano’s apparently a really good pitcher, like over have the guys in our lineup half good numbers against him. They may be small sample sizes, but that’s good for us. IDK the exact numbers but I’m pretty sure it’s true.

Also, I’m pretty sure there’s only one guy with goo numbers against CC, so I like our chances in Game 1.

I just made that last paragraph up so don’t take my word for it.

• JGS says:

Liriano had TJ after the 2006 season and it wasn’t until this season that he really found his dominant 2006 form again (and he amassed all of 1.2 career innings against the Yankees prior to the surgery), so I don’t know how meaningful those numbers are unless they came this year.

15. Guest says:

Tonight is also the first competitive (preseason though it may be) for Miami Thrice.

Or the Three Kings.

Or the Miami Three Party.

Or whatever they are called these days.

Whether they succeed or fail, I think they will be the most fascinating team in recent sports history. I really don’t think we have seen anything like this in quite some time.

• first time lawng time says:

I call them the dynamic duo with a stuck-up coward who is taking the easy way out to win a championship, rather than doing it on a bad team with no superstars like a real man.

/bitter Knicks fan’d

• Kobe: Man, gimme your fruit cocktail!
        LeBron: Well, I can’t. If I did that, I’d have to give it to you everyday, and I won’t get all my vitamins.
        Kobe: DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU’RE DEALING WITH?!?!
        D-Wade: Chill, Black Mamba! He’s my bitch. If anyone’s gonna stab him, it’s gonna be me. Gotta problem with that?”
        Kobe: You better watch your back, fish. Flash ain’t always gonna be there… next time I come for you, I’m gonna want some cocktail. FRUIT!
        LeBron: Take it! … I’M SOMEBODY’S BITCH!!!

• first time lawng time says:

I hate Kobe. I hate LeBron. I don’t mind Dwyane Wade.

Not to sound mean or anything, I hope LeBron never wins a championship.

Unless he plays with the Knicks of course.

• billbybob says:

Meh.
        When they go 73-9 everyone will be bowing down to him again.

• Guest says:

I think you are saying this in jest, but I really don’t get the “real men wouldn’t have done it” argument with Lebron.

I agree that “The Decision” was one of the dumbest, most insensitive, narcisstic things I have ever seen; so people have every right to hate on him for doing that. (Though I think the vitriol may have been a bit excessive).

But the real men don’t play with other good players argument…confuses me.

As the brilliant Rhodes Scholar, Dr. Sir Herman Edwards, Esq., once told us “YOU…PLAY…TO WIN…THE GAME.” That’s it. You go out there and try to win championships. And if you are a free agent who has already made a ton of money, it certainly makes sense that you would sign with a team that increases your chances of winning a championship. And if you could have some fun a long the way, even better.

So to recap, Lebron signed a 9 figure contract to play with Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, (one all-time great and another perennial all-star who also happen to be his good friends and men he won an Olympic Gold medal with), in an organization run by a guy with 6 rings (and proved his straight Ninja-tude by surrounding them with a pretty good supporting cast), that plays its games in South Beach, Miami. Um…yeah. This seems like the smart choice.

Yell it from “The Decision” all you want; but he absolutely made the best possible choice in terms of winning championships and having fun. I just can’t fault him for doing that.

• first time lawng time says:

I just have an irrational dislike for LeBron now.

• but he absolutely made the best possible choice in terms of winning championships and having fun.

At the expense of his potential legacy as an alpha dog who wanted to win all by himself with a team that belonged to him, yes.

Other men won more than Jordan, but Jordan’s the best ever because he won 6 titles with a team that was unquestionably his. LeBron will never have that now; that team isn’t his, it’s an all-star timeshare.

• first time lawng time says:

The Curse of LBJ: the Heat shall never win a championship ever again.

EVER.

• Guest says:

But why is this so important? I understand that basketball is different than the other team sports because one guy can have a greater impact on the outcome of the game than in the other team sports.

Yet, what is Michael Jordan today? I grew up idolizing Mike, but did you see his hall of fame acceptance speech? Others were offended, but I just found it sad. He may be a well respected global icon with a high Q rating, but the man actually is an island (and, judging from some of his comments, not the most sensitive father that ever lived). He still sees this whole thing as him against the basketball world, even though he is standing on top of it. He essentially turned a team sport into an individual one, with teammates just being a necessary nuisance.

Lebron, going back to his high school days, seems to actually enjoy playing on a team. Given that basketball is a team game, this doesn’t seem like someting we should bash him for.

Would you really rather be a lone wolf, feared by your teammates, and winning championships while being isolated from the other guys who were on the court with you? Would you prefer this to winning the same number of championships (or more)all while sharing a meaningful camraderie and being part of something larger than yourself?

I mean, I guess I could see the “ego” benefits of doing it (practically) by yourself. But I don’t get why people seem to think that Lebron’s choice shouldn’t also be a viable option as well.

• first time lawng time says:

But why is this so important?

Because he was supposed to sign with NY that’s why.

/unecessary snippiness’d

• Of course LeBron’s choice is a valid option.

It’s just one that makes certain legacy goals impossible for him. There’s nothing wrong with that for him personally if he doesn’t have those legacy goals.

As sports fans, though, those legacy goals are very important, so LeBron has fundamentally changed how he’ll be perceived forever. If he’s cool with that, more power to him.

• Guest says:

I can hang with this.

My only nit is that there is not a monolithic “sports fan.”

I definitely think that the majority view is that Lebron has harmed his legacy forever with this move.

Personally though, I think I will have a higher view of Lebron because of his move to Miami. I think he has the potential to be a strange Gretzky/Magic/Mike point-2 guard-forward and play the game in a manner that no one has ever quite seen before. I think this Heat team has the potential to play in a manner that we have never seen before, and Lebron makes that possible. Think the late 60′s early 70′s Knicks (ball movement, ensemble play) with much more talent. And I like that he enjoys being a teammate in a team game.

I think if he and the Heat reach their potential, I will respect him way more and think see much better, much more UNIQUE play from him than we would have seen from him if he stayed in Cleveland or went to the Knicks/Nets. We’ve seen the 30 shots a game, “All Eyez on Me” approach to greatness. Jordan perfected it, AI did it in entertaining (if ultimately unsucessful) fashion, and Kobe has excelled at it for over a decade.

What Lebron promises to do with the Heat is an entirely new thing. And I give him “legacy” props for that. While my view is certainly in the minority, I like to think (hope) I’m not the only one.

• Sayid J. says:

I know your comment was largely regarding public perception, but I don’t see why Wade can’t be to Lebron what Pippen was to MJ. Not that I want things to be viewed that way, but there’s Shaq/Kobe, Jordan/Pippen, Bird had an incredible supporting cast, as did Magic. I guess you could say I’m part of the problem, because I don’t care for Lebron much either, but I’m not sure all of this blame on him is entirely fair.

I guess the biggest difference here is that Lebron was a free agent and chose to go join Wade in Miami, while none of the other guys did that. Still, if he, Wade and Bosh had gone to Chicago, although the team components would largely be the same, I don’t think Lebron would be viewed as negatively because he wasn’t joining “Wade’s team.”

• I know your comment was largely regarding public perception, but I don’t see why Wade can’t be to Lebron what Pippen was to MJ.

Because:

Dwyane Wade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scottie Pippen.

Similarly:

Shaq >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scottie Pippen.

Pippen simply isn’t remotely on the level of those guys. Michael Jordan MADE Scottie Pippen. Pippen is the best of the supporting cast, while Shaq and Wade are co-stars on equal footing.

It’s why Kobe forced Shaq out; he knew he’d never equal Jordan’s greatness if all his rings included Shaq. It’s a giant asterisk.

Winning two rings with Gasol/Bynum/Odom/Artest/Ariza/etc. has added more to Kobe’s legacy than all three rings he won with Shaq, because those teams were more loaded and he was part of a duo instead of the alpha dog of a team focused around only him.

• Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids of South Beach

16. Betty Lizard says:

From Chad Jenning’s Tuesday workout article at LoHud:

“As you might expect, both Burnett and Vazquez said they were disappointed but not surprised. Burnett obviously could still play a role this postseason, especially beyond this series. We’ve seen in the past that some managers, when they’ve made decisions like this one, have lost the player. Some players feel slighted, not taken care of.

__________________

My hard heart cracked a little at that statement by Burnett. (Actually, I freely admit I was thrilled we got Burnett and still like the guy.)

• “Joe’s the best manager I ever played for,” Burnett said. “He’s done more for me this year probably than any manager has ever done. He cares about me as a person and as a player. I’ll be down in that pen and be ready to get one out or two outs or whatever I’ve got to do for him.”

But I was specifically told that Girardi sux lol whatevs. This new information is impossible to square.

• bexarama says:

Those articles made me want to cry forever. Yeah, Burnett can’t pitch right now for whatever reason. But he seems like a really, really good guy, I’m sorry.

• first time lawng time says:

He seems like a really nice guy and understands that he’s struggling and is ready to take self-blame.

• Kit says:

I love AJ, so that is really sad. Hopefully he contributes positively for us in the post-season. I have the confidence that he will.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

“Joe’s the best manager I ever played for”
      ————————–
      I would hate to see what AJ would have managed without Joe in this case then.

On the hand, He seem to be a frank and genial individual, I can understand why it’s hard to hate a nice guy.

• first time lawng time says:

Joe seems to, I wouldn’t say baby but I can’t think of another word right now, AJ. What I mean is, Joe always seems to stick up for A.J. in the media and show faith in him. Kinda nice, actually.

• Betty Lizard says:

Please, Baseball Gods, may the Yankees play their hearts out, win and win and win and may AJ have at least a few innings of redemption/glory.

(Off to sacrifice a chicken free range Tofu)

• first time lawng time says:

Seriously though, I hope he has a great season with the Yankees next year, he’s a good guy, he “deserves” it.

Postive vibes, people, positve vibes!

• vin says:

I’m sorry, but where does that fit into our Yankees Attitude Matrix?

• Kit says:

That does seem to cause a dilemma because of the WS ring and all. I’m guessing “Get out of town.”

/Not serious

17. JerseyDutch says:

How’s come those NL dudes only play one game tomorrow?

18. bexarama says:

Non-bold playoff predictions: If the Reds do anything other than get swept by the Phillies, I will be extremely surprised.

19. vin says:

“Where would the Yankee have been without Cano and Sabathia? I’m afraid to think about it…”

Let’s give Mo and Swisher some love too. If Mo had a typical month of September, we might be talking about this being his best season. It would’ve been his lowest ERA, and his WHIP would’ve been closer to 2008′s. His 6.8 k/9 this year was the 3rd lowest mark of his career. Following ’98 (5.3) and ’06 (6.6). And in both of those seasons he was his usual dominant self.

Fun fact about Mo:
    His career ERA is a dominant 2.23. If you take away his rookie year (’95) where he was an unsuccessful starter who eventually moved to the pen, his ERA would be 2.03. Mo rules.

Swisher’s .377 wOBA is the best mark of his career. His previous high was .368 back in ’06. His walks were way down, and his K’s were in line with his career. But he had 22 more hits than he had ever gotten before. His 2B and HRs were good, but not career highs.

Comparing Swisher’s year with his 2006 year…

2006 – .368 wOBA, 141 hits, 24 2b, 2 3b, 35 hr, 97 bb, 152 k, .372 OBP
    2010 – .377 wOBA, 163 hits, 33 2b, 3 3b, 29 hr, 58 bb, 139 k, .359 OBP

He basically traded 40 walks for 22 more hits (with 13 fewer k’s). Swish did a great job of tweaking his approach to make himself a more productive all-around hitter.

• Gonzo says:

Remember when Conor Jackson was mentioned as a possible Swish 2.0 reclamation project?

• vin says:

I absolutely do. Every year people will be clamoring for the next Swisher-Betemit heist. I don’t care what Betemit does for the Royals, he had no role for the Yankees other than utility infielder. Cashman is a genius and a ninja of the highest order.

Jackson did have a nice career going into 2009. Then he contract Valley Fever and the wheels came off. Hopefully he can come back strong next year.

20. Kit says:

My ipod just fell, hit the corner of my computer desk and the screen cracked. Should I wait to pull a Charlton Heston or do it now?

21. Jersey Mike in LA says:

As a Yankee fan in LA I’m looking for anyway to watch the games on the computer, while in the office. I know all about MLB.tv Postseason but that is “companion coverage.” I’ll never understand why MLB schedules playoff games during the day but does not provide a way for their working fans to watch online.

Would appreciate any help.

22. first time lawng time says:

Anyone know how to type the copyright, all rights reserved, or trade marked sign on here?

23. Anthony Murillo says:

Anybody else believe the George King note that Kearns is going to start in LF tomorrow night? I know it’s King saying it but…ugh, Kearns is a K machine.

24. first time lawng time says:

Anyone watching A-Rod’s press conference right now?

He went on a mini-rant on how he doesn’t like to use the term “defend” (in reference to the championship).

The guy is so awkward, it’s so entertaining!

25. JerseyDutch says:

I don’t like the H2O moniker for the Phillies starters. Just sayin’…

26. Hughesus Christo says:

Who wants to watch Four Days in October?

• Guest says:

I’m pretty sure if I go to Hell, I will be compelled to watch that on loop.

I don’t think I have intentionally seen a single highlight, listened to a single bit of commentary, or read a single article about that series on purpose. I really don’t. I was going to school in Boston at the time and I think I avoided every form of newspaper or sports outlet for a full month. I’m not even kidding.

So, if its still unclear, no, I will not be watching Four Days in October.

• Hughesus Christo says:

I’m watching it right now! Bill Simmons should never appear live, anywhere.

• vin says:

Me too. It’s a shame too. I haven’t even watched Ken Burns’ 10th inning yet because I’m dreading the topic being broached.

• bexarama says:

I can deal with it now, because we’ve won since, but I’m not exactly like haaaay guyz dying to watch a like hour-long special on it.

• vin says:

When the Sox beat the Yankees in ’04 I seriously had the feeling you get when someone fairly close to you dies (for about a week and a half). It was a really tough pill to swallow.

But, like you said, it made winning last year all the more sweet. Everything in the universe was restored.

• first time lawng time says:

Peter Gammons.

• Kit says:

And Mitch Williams, drunkenly screaming FIVE ACES!! FIVE!!

• first time lawng time says:

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to where that “FIVE ACES” business started? Or at least an explanation?

• Kit says:

That was Bexy’s meme. I was just helping her build the brand. It was something about SNY (and ESPN, and everyone else at some point), saying that the Red Sox rotation was made out of five aces. It actually started last year, if I remember what Bex said correctly, and continued on to this year and they were wrong. Both times. Mitch Williams wrote an article on the MLB site about how the Red Sox could catch up with the Yankees and exclude them from the post season because of said five aces. Wrong again, Mitch.

• It probably dates back to 2009, when the MSM unintelligentsia claimed that the Sox quintet of Beckett-Lester-Matsuzaka-Penny-Smoltz (with Wakefield and Buchholz in reserve) was the greatest rotation ever assembled in the history of the game.

• bexarama says:

Yep. There was also some sort of ridiculous meme about DEPTH or something.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Gammons said something about having so much depth they could acquire a Smoak like bat in return.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Oh, Brad Penny would probably be the best starting pitcher out there, but unless someone comes up with a Justin Smoak, Matt LaPorta or Brett Wallace — which isn’t going to happen — they are going to hold onto Penny, who is two years removed from finishing third in the NL Cy Young race.

Of course he says it won’t happen but insinuating that the only way they keep Penny and his 5.00 ERA which later got DFA’ed is for someone of Justin Smoak’s caliber is really funny.

• Chris says:

Hmmm….

Smoak: .678 OPS 84 OPS+
                      LaPorta: .668 OPS 88 OPS+
                      Wallace: .615 OPS 70 OPS+

Based on results this year, that probably would have been a reasonable trade.

(Yes, I know their young and still prospects)

• bexarama says:

For me at least – it basically started last year in the preseason, when a bunch of ESPN analysts and the like were drooling over the Red Sox’s projected rotation of Lester, Beckett, Dice-K, John Smoltz, and Brad Penny. The term “five aces” was definitely tossed around quite a bit. Of course, it didn’t quite turn out that way.

Anyway, ESPN was doing it before this season too, and again, it didn’t quite turn out that way. Throughout the season, though, there was still a lot of “I’ll take the Red Sox over the Yankees to make the playoffs because the Yankees’ pitching sucks and the Red Sox have FIVE ACES”-type crap, even when the Red Sox were obviously out of it. Even pretty recently during an ESPN game, they were sobbing about how it was so impossible that Boston’s pitching had been so bad this year, because of the FIVE ACES.

Yeah. (Sorry for the novel.)

• Hughesus Christo says:

Oh, look! A burnt out Paul Quantrill! How did that happen?

27. Dick Whitman says:

Where would we be without Brett Gardner?

28. bonestock94 says:

I just had a vision. AJ Burnett will have a sub-3.5 ERA 20 win season with the Yankees. I am sober.

29. first time lawng time says:

Never watched the 2004 ALCS, watching the thing on ESPN right now.

I am really happy I never had to witness this.

30. ZZ says:

Teix is going to have a big ALDS. A you know who big ALDS.

31. Hughesus Christo says:

This film was very well done. I watched because I am an adult.

32. JerseyDutch says:

Is it immature of me to chuckle as I imagine all the Sawx fans that will be bandwagoning for the Twins tomorrow?

33. Kiersten says:

Got tickets to game 1 of the ALCS in Tampa!

Now everyone root for the Rays. Thanks.

34. Kiersten says:

But I actually bought tickets for a game at the Trop. That must mean I really wanna go.

35. bexarama says:

So, predictions for this round.

NYY over MIN in 4
    TBR over TEX in 5

PHI over CIN in 3
    SFG over ATL in 4

If TEX had HFA or ATL could use Hudson before Game 3, I might pick differently. But they don’t and can’t, so I can’t. VERY SHOCKING PICKS I know.

36. seimiya says:

I think we can safely say this year has been Swishalicious.

37. Hughesus Christo says:

Things I want to see this postseason:

1. 28
    2. Melky and the Braves swept before he gets non-tendered and plays for the Long Island Ducks
    3. Lincecum-Halladay NLCS Trilogy
    4. Big Game Dames makes a valiant return.

38. Brandon W says:

Joba this year, 1.4 fWAR. Joba and his not-amazing 2009? 1.8 fWAR.

Just, you know, building the case that Joba should go back to the rotation next year (especially if Pettitte doesn’t come back).

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Well to be fair Joba did have a great season until August. Then he blew up but I agree. He should be back but I doubt he’s in. But thankfully Cash makes the moves and not Eiland.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Pettitte will more than likely be back. Sabathia-Lee-Pettitte-Hughes-Burnett. No room for Joba in there.

• Jose the Satirist says:

Joba 2009 bWAR: 0.1
      Joba 2010 bWAR: 0.4

• Brandon W says:

Thanks, B-R was throwing me errors when I was trying to search for players when I posted that, or else I would have included it for comparison’s sake. The differences there mostly negate the benefit he had on Fangraphs, so even if you assume last season and this season to be equal, it will depend on the next step down (Joba’s value as a starter compared to the next number 5, or as a relieve compared to the next bullpen guy).

• ZZ says:

I’m confused.

How does this build the case that Joba should go back to the rotation?

• Brandon W says:

That he was more valuable pitching 150+ innings last year than he was pitching 71 this year? I mean, it all depends on the next step down, but D-Rob can handle the eighth, it isn’t some magical inning. I’d rather see Joba than a guy like Nova take the 5th spot if we don’t have both Lee and Pettitte in the rotation.

• ZZ says:

But that is completely without context so it tells you next to nothing in terms of proper team construction. Meaning that in no way should it dictate the role the Yankees put Joba in.

39. I’m sure somebody’s mentioned it, but WOW, so much Joba in those leaderboards.

40. FIPster Doofus says:

Epic Yankees dynasty video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC-VLncTPEs

Too bad it’s not longer.

41. Carlosologist says:

I think the Yanks will be more aggressive with Hughes’ progress this season. He’ll be the number 3 out of ST. CC-Lee-Hughes-Pettitte-Burnett. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

• FIPster Doofus says:

That works.

• Kit says:

I’m thinking number 4, actually, but a rotation of CC-Lee-Pettitte-Hughes- and AJ (hopefully looking better and pitching well after receiving an extended amount of help and guidance), makes me really, really happy.

• whozat says:

More aggressive? How? He’s at the point where he can throw a whole season, so they’ll just let him pitch. The “number” thing…after a week or two, it gets all switched around anyway.

• Carlosologist says:

I meant to put next season. By the time I realized it my three minute editing window was closed. Only reason I put him down as 3 was so the lefties could be broken up.

• whozat says:

Yeah, I read next season anyway :-)

My point is more…well, what does “more aggressive” even mean here? Letting him throw 200+ innings isn’t aggressive, it’s normal progression.