Oct

Open Thread: Yanks win even when they don’t play

Evan Longoria (3-for-4, 2 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI) was the Yanks' best player today. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

The Yankees wrapped up their ALDS victory last night, but they won big today as well. The Rays topped the Rangers by the score of 5-2 this afternoon, forcing a Game Five on Tuesday night with Cliff Lee taking on David Price. That means that neither pitcher will be able to start Game One of the ALCS on Friday, and the earliest they’ll be available is for Game Three. Yeah, both could start Game Two on three day’s rest, but so far both clubs seem to be against pushing their aces like that. Either way, thanks for the win Tampa, you served your purpose. I wish you no luck in Game Five.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The Reds will send Johnny Cueto to the mound to save their season against Cole Hamels and the Phillies at 8:07pm ET (TBS), while the Eagles and 49ers are the late NFL game (8:20pm, NBC). Talk about whatever you want here, just don’t be a dick.

Oh, and send in some mailbag questions using the Submit A Tip box in the sidebar. We spaced on that last week and we need some fresh post-ALDS questions. Thanks.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Why do these Charles Schwab ads have to be in that obnoxious animation?

• Mike Axisa says:

And really, what’s so wrong with a vineyard?

• Mullens says:

I live in Ranger land in Southeastern Oklahoma. I have no desire to face the Rangers for two reasons. Too much stress on me and I think the Rays are a better draw. Rays may have been 3rd in the league in runs, but they score a lot of their runs by means of tack on runs. I’ve pretty much watched every single Ranger game and the combo of Wilson and Lee scares me much more than Price, Garza, and Shields. But it really doesnt matter. If the Yanks keep hitting and pitching the way they are, they will be fine. If our 8 hole continues to hit .500 and the team continues to hit with RISP…this team will be very tough to beat. I am for sure rooting for the Giants/Braves to beat the Phillies…those team can pitch, but my lord they cant hit. Only thing that scares me about the Braves is Eric Hinske…he always seems to be on a winning team…I miss that guy…

2. I’ve watched lterally nothing but baseball today and that’s all sorts of awesome.

3. Big Stein says:

Mwaaahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahahahhaha!

4. Carcillo says:

Today’s AL game yields the obvious question, though before I ask it for the general populace, I’d like to say that I myself like the Yankees chances against either of them, especially since their ace won’t be matched up against C.C., but I digress…

Preferred ALCS foe – Rangers or Rays?

I’ll say Rangers, since as we’ve seen just over the last two days, they’re wilting under the playoff pressure. They’ve still haven’t won a home playoff game in their franchise history. And if you remember the last time the Yankees played them, it was utter fucking agony to watch, but as little as a hit with RISP/hit with RISP there, and the Yankees possibly (probably) win two of three there. In fairness, Texas didn’t have Hamilton, but this time around, they won’t have a fucking village of relievers, either. Their hitting is better, the Rays pitching is better.

That said, I expect the Rays to capitalize this time at home, so I’ll merely have to settle with the ALCS I predicted would come months ago…

• Gonzo says:

I think I like the idea of the Rangers going to Tampa, back to TX, back to Tampa, then back to TX to face the Yanks.

• vin says:

I think the Rangers are the more dangerous team. CC and Andy’s lefthandedness won’t be as much of an advantage against them since their best LH hitter after Hamilton is Murphy. Cruz, Young, Kinsler, Guerrerro are all tough righties.

Cliff Lee, even if he would only start 2 games, is a guy I don’t want to see until his December press conference at YS3.

The Rays are a good team, and their starting to hit their stride (amazing what not facing the lefties Lee and Wilson can do for their offense).

They’re obviously deep, but that’s not as useful in the postseason. Especially when you throw a lefty at them…. which I expect them to have to deal with 5 out of the 7 games. Crawford, Pena, Jaso, Johnson, Joyce, and Brignac are all good hitters who are less effective against lefties.

Price is great pitcher, but he’s more Francisco Liriano than Cliff Lee. He can be dealt with. Work the count, foul off some pitches, and try to get him out of the game.

The Rays have the better bullpen, but the Yanks have seen them plenty – which should help.

I have no idea who will win tomorrow. The Rays have the momentum, but the Rangers have Lee. Either way, it should be a great ALCS.

5. YankeesJunkie says:

Stupid question. Under submit a tip what email would I put in?

Thanks

6. bexarama says:

Asked this earlier, but not too many people were around: how many teams have had an 0-2 series deficit in the LDS and come back to win? I know:

1995 Seattle (against NYY)
    1999 Boston (against CLE)
    2001 NYY (against OAK)
    2003 Boston (against OAK)

I feel like there’s one more but I can’t recall who it is. Also, has any team had a 2-0 lead in an LDS, had the series gone to 2-2, and then ended up winning? I think no, just from a precursory look at BB-Ref.

Thanks all. :D

• Ben says:

Those are all the times a team has come back from 2-0 down in the DS.

• MikeD says:

I think that’s it. I’m pretty sure that what the Rays are attempting to do has not been done, which is losing the first two in their home park and then coming back to win. I could be wrong on that, though.

• Ben says:

The Yankees did it in 2001.

• MikeD says:

The Yankees. I think I’ve heard of that team.

Thanks!

• Ben says:

Yup, that was a great series. In game three there was Moose’s performance and the Jeter flip play. In game four they lit up Lidle behind El Duque, and an injured Clemens had a gutsy outing in game five.

• bexarama says:

Zito pitched a two-hitter in Game 3 and lost. Because one of those hits was a HR by The Worst Player In Baseball History.

• Ben says:

Haha, did someone say that in a game thread?

• bexarama says:

There was some recent post where people were hating on Posada. And early on in Game 1 of the DS, too. It’s absolutely AWFUL on Twitter when he isn’t perfect (not trying to say Posada is any good defensively, but even the best defensive catchers allow passed balls and people steal on them). I don’t think anyone called him the worst player in history, but someone definitely called him the most overrated player in baseball history.

• Ben says:

No matter what John Smoltz or Ron Darling would have us believe, the passed ball in game one was definitely a cross up. And, for the most part, the Yankees’ pitchers are not good at holding runners on, so Posada rarely has a chance to throw runners out.

Actually, there was one particular AB in game two where I thought Posada was fantastic. Pettitte struck out Valencia to end the inning. They had gone in on five straight pitches, with Pettitte always going with the first sign. Posada told him to shake, then went with the FB away. Very smart, and it worked to perfection.

With all that being said, Posada is not a good defensive catcher. But he more than makes up for it with his bat, and, at the very least, most of the pitchers seem comfortable with him.

• JerseyDutch says:

That’s it. I remember last night the TBS trio saying it has happened four times. (While they were secretly hoping for a fifth.)

Don’t know about the second question. I can’t think offhand of any time that’s happened but admittedly by knowledge of the LDS is less than encyclopedic.

7. Alex S says:

So did anyone see the mention of Sabermetrics on The Simpsons?

8. All Star Carl says:

Great defense continues for the Reds.

9. Dela G says:

Does this mean the yankees will face “big game” shields in game 1? my god i hope so

10. ZZ says:

Another SS today with a nice UZR hurting his team in the playoffs. Good to know Jeter’s defense hurts his team so much at short because of his UZR.

• Are you serious with this comment? Come on, you’re better than that.

• MikeD says:

I took it as a joke. There is something to be said for being sure-handed, but range is critical.

• ZZ says:

I would take Derek Jeter’s defense over any of the other SS in the playoffs.

I have been saying that since the playoffs started.

• I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about the fact that you implied UZR is bad because someone who made a bad play has a generally solid UZR mark.

• ZZ says:

I was implying that Jeter’s defense is not bad because his UZR is bad especially when personally I put a different type of emphasis on defense in the playoffs.

• Okay, that’s a little more clear.

My take on Jeter’s defense: he’s great on the balls that he gets to, but he could get to more.

• ZZ says:

I agree. I also think Jeter makes more plays compared to other SS than people realize because of how great the routes he takes to the ball is especially on those in front of him.

• I agree he’s good on going up for the ball, but I don’t think it makes as much of a difference as you’re saying. He had the third fewest total chances in the AL and the two guys behind him played 20 fewer games (though Bartlett, fewest TC among qualifiers did have fewer chances per game than Jeter).

• ZZ says:

Also when I first mentioned I would take Jeter over anyone else, someone said we’ll see what costs their team first, range or lack of sure handedness.

We saw what cost teams first in the playoffs so it was a response to that person.

• ZZ says:

There are other things other than sure-handedness I think Jeter is good at but just keeping it simple with that reference.

• In the short term, I think lack of sure handedness would cost a team more, whereas lack of range would hurt more over the long term. Still, though, lack of range could hurt a lot when there are grounders that could/should be fielded that leak into the OF, thus bringing a run in.

• Gonzo says:

Left in the playoffs, or in the playoffs when they began? I say this because JJ Hardy is pretty good with the glove.

11. ZZ says:

That’s why you do the jump throw Jimmy.

Have to take notes from Jeter.

12. So the announcer said Cole’s W/L record was deceptive. Then why bring it up?

13. Carlosologist says:

Ahaha Mike Scioscia made an appearance on The Simpsons.

14. YankeesJunkie says:

Is anyone else surprised with the unwillingness to have pitchers go on three days rest.

• MikeD says:

If indeed they’re refusing I am surprised. In the case of Cliff Lee, he might be concerned he could injure himself right as he’s about to score big time as a free agent. CC, of course, did just the opposite.

In Lee’s case, he did have a back issue, so it may be the team being careful here, wanting him to be at full rest.

• Ben says:

But Lee also didn’t do it last year, which leads me to believe that he likely just isn’t comfortable with the prospect of not having normal rest between starts.

• MikeD says:

True, although the question is Lee the one refusing to go on three days rest, or are his teams just not asking. Of course, he could come forward and tell the manager he can go on short rest and perhaps he did. More likely, he didn’t, and if the team senses he’s hesitant, they may not want to risk it. Having Cliff Lee lined up for game 5 is not a bad thing, but it does mess up the possibility of having him open the Championship series, which is good for the Yanks.

• Kit says:

He’s never done it before and in the case of the Phillies and the Rangers he was their best pitcher. They probably wouldn’t want to risk him getting hurt by sending him out there on short rest when he’s never done it before. It might affect him negatively and cost them the game/series. Though it is a bit suspicious that they were planning on going with a 3-man rotation and changed it suddenly. I guess he was uncomfortable.

• MikeD says:

The change from a 3-man to a 4-man does seem as if someone complained, and that would have to be the pitcher. The team may have also made the decision based on how Cliff Lee felt after his start, but it’s probably more of a Lee issue (on his side).

• Mike Axisa says:

Yes. But hey, it’s good for the Yanks.

• first time lawng time says:

No,because pitchers are spoiled pampered little brats.

Except CC obviously. He’s a real man.

• Carlosologist says:

Cliff Lee and David Price have no experience going on TDR, so I’m only really surprised that Washington hasn’t tried to run Lee into the ground.

• Big Stein says:

no, in Cliff Lee’s 9 year career, he has never-ever pitched on 3 days rest.

So I can see why they’re hesitant to try something new during a short postseason series.

15. JerseyDutch says:

They’re running the Mo and Joe commercial to death.

Question: Do you think they have a region-specific version for each market?

16. MikeD says:

I really want “Parker” to be caught in that commercial. He annoys me.

17. first time lawng time says:

Alright, in honor of one of last night’s comments, I decided to do a “Top 3″ of funniest comments of the season. I haven’t been here the entire season so I might be missing some. Here are my top 3 funniest comments in no particular order:

1. posada sucks lol whatevs
    2. The Jason Kubel Rant
    3. Carl Pavano’s Moustache

Agree/Disagree?

18. Instead of showing stuff from a video game, why don’t they just show an overhead/blimp/helicopter shot of the stadium?

19. nathan says:

Great job Tampa.

Now go play a 15 inning 18 pitcher game.

20. Joe P says:

Just guts from watching all the games — I think that both teams (TB and TEX) are equally weak in the starting pitching department. Price and Lee cancel each other out, then you pretty much have inconsistency after that. I’m more scared of the Texas lineup than TB right now, but then again if TB takes the best of 5 after being down 2-0 they have massive momentum. I don’t think it’s a “slam dunk” case for either team if you’re a Yankees fan. Forced to choose, I’d say that Texas looked really good against us last time out, and TB’s lineup has looked pretty weak lately. I think I’d rather see TB.

21. first time lawng time says:

Fact: This is the first time in the history of the New York Yankees that the Yankees will advance to the ALCS as a Wild Card Winner.

History not repeating itself. For. The. Win.

• JerseyDutch says:

We were only technically the wild card.

• MikeD says:

How many times have the Yankees been the Wild Card? I thought I read this was the 4th time, yet I can only think of three. The first in ’95. In 2007. In 2010. Is that it, or which one did I miss?

• MikeD says:

Ahh, yes. The Alomar game.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Shh! Shh! We do not speak of it!

Grabs head

• MikeD says:

The advantage of being a Yankee fan is we have tons of great memories and games. The downside is we’ve been in so many playoffs that there is bound to be a few painful ones. 1997 was the least painful one compared to the other two (which shall not be named).

first time lawng time, be glad you were too young. I was, unfortunately, too old to block it out of my memory entirely, but I came close as I didn’t even remember that as a Wild Card year.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

Yeah Mo ‘choke’ in that game !

*Duck*

• first time lawng time says:

What happened in that game?

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Do you really not know?

• first time lawng time says:

I was too young at the time to remember it now.

• poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

We had a ninth inning (I think ninth, anyway. Or was it 8th? Late inning anyway) lead against…uh…I for the life of me can’t remember the team, but we had a lead ingame five of the ALDS. Mo faced Sandy Alomar and gave up a game tying HR. They lost it on a game-winning hit not too long after.

As you can see, I’ve blocked out the details.

• first time lawng time says:

Oh. Thanks.

Sounds kinda like games 4 and 5 of the 2004 ALCS doesn’t it?

Yeah that was probably below the belt.

22. Jon in CUO says:

I’m hoping that a very healthy but very ineffective Cliff Lee gets knocked around by the Rays Tuesday. That way, he wouldn’t be able to shut down the Yankees in the ALCS and thereby make himself even richer this offseason. Plus I’d be able to catch a few ALCS games in Tampa, which would extend my ALCS attendance streak to three years in a row.

23. mustang says:

The Yankees are in the ALCS, the NY Giants blowout the Texans and the Cowboys lose.
    I’M IN SPORTS UTOPIA !!!!

24. Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

The stage is set for Big Game Moseley to shine in TX in game 2. Lee will beat Price on Tuesday!

25. swisher's fauxhawk says:

So, I missed the last half of Braves-Giants. Is it too late to be making fun of Brooks Conrad?

26. vin says:

“In this case, neither condition applied. As someone else observed, there are only so many CC Sabathias. And Cliff Lee, for all his talents, probably isn’t one of them.”

From Neyer’s blog.

Writing about whether Lee (and Price) should’ve started game 4 on short rest.

27. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Oh, cool, here is where my friends are hanging out tonight.

Let me put it out there. I think the Yanks do not need to sign a single free agent next year – but should bring back DJ (3yrs) and Andy (1yr). I pass on Lee. I don’t want his decline years while I have AJ and CC’s decline years…and I want the payroll flexibility. If the scouts recommend, maybe a run at Yu, but that is risky too (unintended rhyme, not trying to go all Dr. Seuss on you.) Maybe one tight little trade for a middle of the rotation starter. Das it!

• Gonzo says:

I think if AJ could be counted on as a solid pitcher walking away from Lee would be easy. The problem is that there is no real FA pitcher in the next couple of years that is Yankee caliber. So, if Andy retires this year or after next year, you have a shakey back-end rotation and you might be forced to deal or rush a pitching prospect.

• Nuke LaDoosh says:

Probably not being rationale here, but I think AJ has another “good” year in him, probably next year.

2011 rotation: CC, Hughesie, Andy, AJ, and (Nova or Trade Candidate.) Saves spaces for Killer B’s. Enables us to bring in a FA OF in a couple of years too (maybe Swish or Grandy only play out their contracts.) For the trade candidate, Maybe Joba, Nova and CoJo or David Adams gets us a solid 3 with a salary commitment.

• Accent Shallow says:

Seconded. I really don’t think Lee is going to age well, and he certainly doesn’t have the track record to deserve CC money.

28. MikeD says:

Dynasty? Come on, TBS guys. Only the Yankees can use that term. I will allow the Oakland A’s on the 1970s to also use that term.

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

What’s your definition of a Dynasty?

• MikeD says:

I don’t really have one, but I know for sure the current Phillies are not near having one yet. Red Sox fans from a few years ago were starting to chirp that they had one. Winning two World Series over four seasons does not even register.

The Yankees winning four of five and three consecutively, led by the 1998 125-win team, as part of thirteen straight playoff appearances can be considered a dynasty. I put the 70s A’s in there since they won three straight World Championships as part of a five year period of dominance. I’m not sure that counts, but there is only one organization to win three straight World Series titles not named the Yankees. The A’s.

Some might consider the Altanta Braves and its 14-straight division/playoff appearances one. Some ding them on the lack of World Series titles (save one).

Dynasty is a term that should be reserved for truly significant runs. The Phillies are a ways off.

There is only one Dynasty organization. That’s the NY Yankees. I would think Yankee fans have the highest bar to jump for them to consider a team a Dynasty. In hockey, Montreal had them. The Edmonton Oilers did, too, yet I’m now straying into other sports.

What do you/others think?

• Dream of Electric Sheep/ still haven't register /too lazy says:

I think if you win 4-5 Div titles consecutively and also won minimum of 2 WS during those 4-5 years. I would consider it as a dynasty.

arbitrary’d

• MikeD says:

I think that kind of sums it up. There is an arbitrary, or perhaps subjective, element at play here. It’s similar to asking fans who is a HOFer. Some have a higher bar than others.

Bill James did an analysis (shocking!) of really good teams, and came to a conclusion (shocking, part 2!) that their period of dominance runs about five years. I consider this to be normal run of an excellent team, be it they win one World Series or two, or for that fact none. I don’t view the 1976-1981 Yankees a dynasty, but I do see them as the dominant team of that period.

In most cases, in order for a team to be considered a dynasty, I want to see about decade long period of dominance. So the 90s/00s Yankees qualify. Yes, the Braves qualify, even if they are short on World Series titles.

To me, there have been very, very few dynasties in baseball. It should be a very rare designation. The Yankees have been a dynasty organization, true to the definition, by maintaining power and influence and domination over a period of generations. Within that there have been several periods of dynasty teams for the Yankees, the most recent being the ’96 forward group. I think a lot of fans of other teams have always heard about dynasties, so they want their own dynasty, so latch onto the word when they have a nice run. I don’t see it that way.

Yet, as you noted, it’s a bit arbitrary. My bar is set high on this one simply so we can recognize truly exceptional teams.

• JGS says:

If they are referring to the Phillies, I’ll accept it. If they win the pennant that would be three straight, with a WS win in there, and four straight division titles. That’s enough for me–the Braves of the 90s-00s were a dynasty even with only one title.

29. All Star Carl says:

Utley is afraid to throw the ball

30. Kiersten says:

We’ve been saying all season that when this team starts firing on all cylinders, it’s going to be damn good. Well, it’s a small sample size, but it looks like that’s finally started to happen, and at the right time.

31. DTrainHell says:

Aieeeee! Reds and Phillies in High Def. I feel like I am locked in a candy cane factory running at full capacity. Football or Mad Men here I come.

32. pat says:

Way to give your guy a chance to catch the HR you idiots.

33. Big Stein says:

Twinkie Town MELTDOWN continues.

Now, they want to break up the yankees, cluelessly forgetting the Yankees have been dominate through various periods before the current one.

• bexarama says:

heh, I liked this comment though:

The yankees are good for baseball as a whole…
      …but they are horrible for twins baseball.

• JohnnyC says:

Eh…just contract the Twins. I’m sure they can use the new stadium for rock concerts and wrestling exhbitions.

• JerseyDutch says:

Their monpolisitic practices lead to despair in the smaller markets.

This comment makes no sense. He makes it sound like we’re the only big-market team out there. We compete with other big-market teams for talent.

• ultimate913 says:

This one makes me laugh:

Along with a floor, I think overall player compensation could go up, along with more fair, competitive play across the league and all markets. It works for other major sports leagues, and would for MLB too.

Haha. That’s the thing though. IT DOESN’T. This dude must have never heard of the Lakers(!!!!!), Spurs or Patriots.

34. Ray the Anti-Handle says:

Just read an article on MLB.com weighing the pros/cons of facing either the Rays or Rangers. I was kindly reminded of cowbells, artificial turf, and catwalks. Ummm, go Rangers?

35. dan says:

here the deal.we play our game………we run the table

36. bronxmissles says:

everybody got to the “TWinkie Town Meltdown” link and vote that the yankees are good for baseball

37. Kiersten says:

Someone at work yesterday said two crazy things to me:

1. If the Phillies don’t win the World Series, it will be an injustice because the Phllies are by far the best team in baseball.
    2. The Phillies are going to have Roy Halladay pitch on two days’ rest.

38. Tom Zig says:

Who is the biggest whiner/complainer?

A. Mark Attanasio
    B. John Henry
    C. Mike Scioscia
    D. Halos Heaven
    E. Other (Please specify)

39. bronxmissles says:

E. Buck & McCarver

40. Something exciting needs to happen in this game.

41. first time lawng time says:

I would like to go on a rant about all of this Yankees bad for baseball and buying championships nonsense.

1. The Yankees buy championships
    Well, last time I checked, there’s no World Series section at the Walmart downtown so IDK how the Yankees could “buy” a championship. Also, I’m pretty sure no player plays for free, so that means every single team pays a player, and the players EARN their championships, therefore, meaning that every single team in the history of the MLB has payed players to win championships for their franchises.

2. The Yankees spend too much money of free agents, making things uncompetetive for small markets
    It’s not the Yankees’ fault that other teams have “poor” owners or owners unwilling to spend money on their teams. Also, the players that the Yankees offer money to don’t HAVE to sign with the Yankees. Noone is forcing them too. Some players, indeed, do sign with teams that do not, in fact, offer the most money (See: Felix Hernandez and LeBron James). Is it the Yankees fault that some players are greedy and take the most money? No. Is it the Yankees fault, some players dream of winning a championship and like the spotlight and New York has the best oppurtunities for that? Ehh, not really.

Are the Yankees the only team that spends a lot of money on their players? Last I checked, Red Sox gave John Lackey a big fat contract, but is anyone complaining about that? No, because it didn’t turn out well like, say, CC Sabathia did for the Yankees.

3. George Steinbrenner ruined baseball

Basbell is a business. That is a fact. And George Steinbrenner simply perfected this business. The goal of a business is to generate a high revenue and make money. That is no different from the busniess of baseball. Signing good players means you’re building a better team. A better team means more fans will pay to watch you, more fans means more merchandise profits. More profits means more revenue and more money to spend on players. IT’S A CIRCLE PEOPLE GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!

And, for the record, I believe someone on here said it this past week:
    To the fans of small market teams out there, if you had an owner with a ton of cash willing to spend money on free agents and give you a team with the best possible chance to win a championship for you, you wouldn’t be complaining would you?

And for the fun of it: a salaray cap will not prevent superstars from signing to one team together, resulting in a paycut. See: Miami Heat 2010 edition.

42. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Just looked deeper into the Phillies. In Sept/Oct they beat Florida (80-82) 5 out of 6, Mets (79-83) Split 6 games, Washington (69-93) 5 out of 6, Milwaukee (77-85) 2 out of 3, Colorado (82-79) 1 game, LAD (80-82) 2 out of 3, and also played well against two winning teams: Atlanta; they beat 5 out of 6 and SD they swept 3 out of 3.

Bring it.

• ultimate913 says:

Slow your roll. We still got the championship series to worry about before we think about whatever NL team will get to the WS.

• Nuke LaDoosh says:

you know, baseball managers are always thinking 3 innings ahead, and I’m always thinking about the series after the next one…

• ultimate913 says:

There is no guarantee that there will be a next one after this series. Game 4 of the ALCS, I understand. But a series our Yankees might not get to? Let’s rewind there.

43. Tom Zig says:

And on this edition of name that writer!

“The Yankees, of course, have a quality that was missing in the Twins and also seems to be lacking in the Texas Rangers, namely killer instinct.

44. Did the announcer just say the Reds won 5 WS titles in the ’70s?

45. I can’t help it; I fucking love Cole Hamels.

46. Dela G says:

cole hamels is good at baseball

47. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

Phillies were just toally dominating during this series. They really made Cincy their bitch. Now Cincy knows how Minny feels.

48. Carlosologist says:

I wonder if the bubbly is on ice for the Phillies.

49. Is the goal of that BB Torch ad to use the most annoying song ever to help sell the product?

50. People in Philly think that Ruiz is the best fastball hitter on the team?

51. That slider to Ruiz on 0-1 was insane. Wow.

52. Dela G says:

jay bruce sucks at fielding

53. bexarama says:

Okay Reds, time to make this shit interesting.

• JerseyDutch says:

Well, it is the MinorNational League, after all.

That sounds about right with the errors. We’ve been pretty solid on defense so far.

• JerseyDutch says:

I think this reply went to the wrong post but you get the idea. :)

• first time lawng time says:

NL is an effing joke. They got the Diamondbacks, Nationals, Mets (LOL), Astros, PIRATES!, and other crappy teams.

Yeah Phillies may have the best record, but that’s only because they’ve been feasting on scrubs that are no better than the Staten Island Yankees.

54. MikeD says:

And over TwinkieTown, on the question “Are the Yankees Good for Baseball,” we’re ahead 92-82, at least as of ten minutes ago. Feel free to vote if you haven’t yet, so we can claim they can’t even beat us in their own poll!

• MikeD says:

Sorry, link problem. This one should work.

• Januz says:

Lets give some answers to these Yankee Questions.
      1: Are they good for baseball? Lets look at the Yankee MLB merchandise sold. The Yankee gear $$$$$$$$$ gets distributed to teams that are uncompetitive like Cleveland that can’t draw flies to Progressive Field. Where would they be without them?
      2: Do they have an unfair advantage due to their market size? Not in the least. Look at the Cubs. Chicago is not exactly Green Bay and they have not won in 100 years.
      3: If baseball is so uncompetitive, why do more teams win in MLB than the NBA. For example: The Lakers & Celtics are like the Southeastern Conference in Football thats how one sided the NBA is.

55. MikeD says:

Phillies win. Yawn.

56. Carlosologist says:

lol Reds.

57. poster on another computer who happens to be a deuce bag says:

That was a ridiculously dominating performance by Hamels.

58. first time lawng time says:

Fact: Phillies = overrated.

While they may be good, they’ve been feasting on National League turds, that have been unable to expose their flaws.

Yanks can take them.

• JerseyDutch says:

The Reds certainly weren’t competition.

• first time lawng time says:

Exactly. They’re just creating the illusion that they’re the best team in baseball, but that’s just because they played the Reds who probably wouldn’t be in the playoffs if they played in the AL.

I may be completely wrong with that last line, because IDK their record. Correct me if I’m wrong.

59. bexarama says:

So their offense didn’t exactly set things on fire in this series but two of these three games were CGSHO from the Phillies’ pitchers… eesh.

60. Esteban says:

Who the hell was that Asian guy (not a player) spraying champagne?

61. Avi says:

A Yankees/Phillies World Series would make for AWESOME baseball theater.

62. ultimate913 says:

Other fans are constantly complaining about the Yankees payroll and when they realize that a cap isn’t coming any time soon, they’ll change their argument to:

HEY, YANKEES! STOP USING YOUR RESOURCES WISELY! HAND OUT 200 MILLION DOLLAR CONTRACTS TO MEDIOCORE PLAYERS. please?

63. Jerome S says:

According to Marge, Mike Scioscia gained his super-managing powers when he got irradiated at the Springfield Nuclear Plant.