Nov

Open Thread: Are you ready for some football?

(Photo Credit: The RAB Bullpen)

Yankee Stadium isn’t looking much like a baseball park these days. The infield is gone, the pitcher’s mound has disappeared, and there are giant goal posts behind the plate and in centerfield. Army and Notre Dame meet in the Stadium on Nov. 20th, then a month later the Pinstripe Bowl will be played between still unknown teams. Kinda looks weird, no? Hey, anything that makes the Yankees money, I’m all for it. Derek Jeter‘s inevitable contract won’t pay for itself.

Anyway, here’s is your open thread for this fine evening. The Rangers, Knicks, and Nets are all playing in various cities at various times. Chat about whatever you like, and go ahead and be as vicious and you want.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Carlosologist says:

I saw The Pitching Paradigm today on MLBN. It was a really informative piece. The evolution of pitching is a very interesting topic, and I think these guys nailed it on the head.

2. What is this… football… thing you speak of?

3. Cashman: I’ll give Derek 3/60.
    Close: I want more.
    Cashman: I’ll also throw in two free luxury box seats to every Pinstripe Bowl we host.
    Close: I said more, not less.

… aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, SCENE!

4. Bryan L says:

Seems like the “Main” level is gonna be the best seats to watch these games.

5. ZZ says:

Mondesi,

I’m going to blow your mind like I did bexy a week ago.

I don’t dislike or hate UZR.

6. Billy Ripken has to be a typical Yanks fan. He just has to. He suggested that we should sign Lee, Crawford, and bring back the three wise men.

7. bexarama says:

I would just like to say the thread about the Gold Gloves was A++++ funny

8. Has anyone noticed some ‘Yankee fans’ have resorted to calling Jeter a bad guy because of the rumors of what he wants in his next contract? I’ve noticed it a lot around the interwebz, it’s insane.

• bexarama says:

They’ve been doing it for a while. Outright pisses me off. Sorry he wants to make money like… I dunno… everyone else on the planet.

Look, if Jeter starts holding the franchise hostage because he wants A-Rod years/money, that’s one thing. But do we really have to call him an asshole because Heyman talked to someone who guessed at what Jeter might want in an ideal world?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Jeter is a bad person unless accepts a 3/3 deal.

• I won’t subject RAB readers to the pain, but if you do a search for Jeter on Twitter, you can find some of the most moronic comments on both sides of the issue. Some fans don’t understand how the Yanks could ever let Jeter reach free agency. Others will give up on the team if he isn’t resigned. Others think he sucks. It’s stunning.

• Bryan L says:

I cannot wait to hear all the Red Sox fans bitch and whine about this tomorrow…

• bexarama says:

My Tumblr feed is full of people who are like “OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG WHY HAVEN’T THEY SIGNED JETER AND MO AND ANDY YET??????? WHY ARE THEY FRREE AGENTS OMG.” It’s really obnoxious and they do this every day. I want to point out to them that no one has signed, it’s not like the Yankees and Jeter/Mo/Andy are squabbling or whatever.

• steve (different one) says:

At least they’re consistent. When A-Rod opted out, all I heard was how Jeter was above such material, earthly desires.

For 10 years I think 90% of Yankee fans believed Jeter plays for nothing more than the love of the game and free batting gloves.

9. If the season ended today, the Pinstripe Bowl matchup would be Kansas State (6-3) v. Louisville (5-4).

(falls asleep)

10. larryf says:

Michigan would be a good get for the Pinstripe Bowl. Largest alumni, exciting offense, 6 wins-bowl eligible.

11. Seating is horrible. It’s almost like they didn’t have football in mind when they built this stadium.

12. Bryan L says:

So I just looked up pricing for the Notre Dame / Army game, and the cheapest ticket is $125…

I’m watching from the subway tracks. Who’s in?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Maybe if it was the 1930s. I will just relax and watch college football games that matter…and Nebraska versus Texas A&M.

13. MikeD says:

Speaking of football — the Brit kind — when are the Yankees buying Manchester United to trump the lame-ass buy of Liverpool FC by Henry?

Anyway, best back to test firing my latest missile off Los Angeles. I don’t think anyone has noticed yet.

14. Steve H says:

If you were to vote for the Gold Glove, how much consideration would you put into playing time? If a guy was Ozzie Smith for 120 games or another guy was just damn good for 150, who would you give the nod to?

15. Dave says:

Mike Green reminds me of Papelbum, still don’t know why…

16. pat says:

Tuesday night TV sucks hard.

17. Kiersten says:

The Canes played in the bowl at Pac Bell a few years ago and it looked so awful. Football is not at all meant to be played in a baseball stadium.

• Xstar7 says:

I saw an MLS game between the Kansas City Wizards and New York Red Bulls that was held in Kauffman Stadium. Things were way out of proportion. And it didn’t look pretty.

18. My pre-game thoughts on the Knicks:

1) The Bucks are playing like shit after a great season last year.
    2) Landry Fields was an excellent find. Should be money for us if he isn’t part of a Melo deal.
    3) I really enjoy being a Knicks fan.
    4) Ronny Turiaf has neat dreads.

• MikeD says:

3) I really enjoy being a Knicks fan.

You’re young. Pain is coming.

As I remind my non-NY Yankee-fan friends who tell me all I know is winning, I remind them that not only was I a Yankee fan during times when they didn’t win, but I have also balanced out my Yankee fandom by also being a NY Jets fan. I know pain.

19. bexarama says:

MLBN has a whole new set of Prime 9s for the offseason, and apparently one of them is “All-Time Pitching Rotations” (it’s not on tonight, but it’s one of the ones they’re planning to do).

Why even show that? We all know it’s the 2009 Red Sox.

20. Dirty Pena says:

I am so sick of people complaining that Boise State should be in the championship. First of all, I definitely think the BCS sucks and there should be a playoff. HOWEVAH, as long as the current system is in place, there’s no place for Boise State over undefeated schools from better conferences.

21. mbonzo says:

OK I am gonna start some controversy. In regards to the Cy Young award being announced I would just like to say that the only pitching statistic that should be followed is… wins. I know the majority of people think era, era+, whip, fip should be evaluated, even a lot of votes come from strikeouts, but I disagree. If I sign a starting pitcher I want them to give me wins, not a low era or high strikeouts. Wins is all that I am concerned with as a GM. Sabathia should win this year because he got the most wins, and I am sure plenty of people will say that Hernandez deserves it but I am not going to decide on the best pitcher based on what he could have done on another team. Hernandez was not the winning pitcher Sabathia was and that enough for me to say Sabathia deserves the award.

Also, I am not a Hernandez hater in the least bit, last year I was extremely mad that he didn’t win the Cy Young. Last year was his year, too bad, this year is CC’s.

22. Mike Axisa says:

Brian Boyle is awesome. That is all.

23. pat says:

Ok quick poll..

And I fully admit that I’m whiny,indecisive and haaaaaate making trades.

I was offered Arian Foster for Steven Johnson, Michael Vick, )who’s on my bench) and Matt Forte. I’m fine with losing Vick and Forte but it’s Johnson I’m waffling over. Is he for real? I’m leaning towards no. He’s had two awesome games and three so-so games where he”s happened to catch a TD pass. Roscoe Parrish is now out for the season and it;s due to get cold and shitty out in B-lo. I’m thinking this is a pretty good opportunity to sell high.

24. Hey, I know most people are against it and it’s been proven to be ineffective, but when I’m sick, I like to turn to leeching.

• mbonzo says:

I agree with you here. Leeching is very underrated, don’t know it until you try it. If it was good enough for George Washington it’s good enough for me.

25. The Bucks are due for a major regression with their FG percentage. Damn, I’ve never seen something this close to perfection like ever.

26. All Star Carl says:

Jorge’s wife says he will DH next year.

Could mean anything, but I will assume full time.

27. Hall and Nokes says:

Wait a second…nobody is forcing me to watch this Knicks game.

[improves life]

28. first time lawng time says:

When was the last time the Knicks hit a 3? Has to be back in Chicago lol.

Also, why is it that the Bucks players can force turnovers and make it hard for the Knicks to shoot and pass, but the Knicks just let the Bucks walk right to the basket or let them shoot from wherever behind the arc?

I mean, do the Knicks know what defense is? They seem kinda stupid…

29. first time lawng time says:

Billie Walker is so stupid…so are his teammates. Your 0-9 for 3s, you hit like 2 of 20 the game before…here’s an idea: stop shooting 3s!

I mean it’s kinda obvious…

30. Xstar7 says:

The bucks just can’t miss a field goal. The Knicks are getting their asses handed to them. The Nets game going on is much more interesting.

31. first time lawng time says:

Why the hell is Gallo on the bench?

Also, Knicks on the bench need to sit their asses down. You’re down by 23 and a guy dunks so you freak out like it’s so amazing? Seriously, wait until your actually in the game and playing like professionals before you get cocky.

I like emotion, but it seemed a little inapprpriate.

32. first time lawng time says:

You know what I don’t get? Is why Gallinari won’t get a haircut. I mean does he not realize how much better looking he is with it nice and short?

It’s so obvious, I don’t get why he’s so dumb about it.

33. I thought this was one of the more interesting things I read today:

“The book itself was a bit of a caricature, not just to me, but to many of the people involved,” DePodesta said.

In fact, the movie based on the book, starring Brad Pitt as Beane, changed the name of its DePodesta character at his request.

“Moneyball has taken on a lot of connotations that weren’t intended,” DePodesta continued. “Moneyball doesn’t have anything to do with on-base percentage or statistics. It’s a constant investigation of stagnant systems, to see if you can find value where it isn’t readily apparent. It can be anything. At the time, it happened to be using statistics to make us better decisions. That’s not always the case. There are new frontiers we need to conquer.”

In a conference call Tuesday afternoon, DePodesta was guarded with regards to what those frontiers are, just as he was when asked about his 20-month stint as general manager of the Dodgers in 2004 and 2005. (“I’m not at liberty to talk about my dealings with the Dodgers,” he said, hinting at a nondisclosure agreement with his former club.)

“Look at how we develop players and people to get the most out of someone’s talent,” he said. “That untapped. It’s an area where there a lot of opportunity.”

One of the main ‘characters’ of Moneyball thought that the book itself, not just the misunderstood regurgitation of it from most media types, was an oversimplified caricature of what it was they were actually doing in Oakland way back then. So much so, that he insisted his name not be used in the Moneyball movie.

Distancing himself from a Hollywood movie doesn’t surprise me, but I didn’t know he thought so little of the book itself.

• Dirty Pena says:

I get the impression that it’s not the book itself he didn’t like but rather how everyone interpreted the book.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Bingo. And he distanced himself from the movie because they cast Jonah Hill to play him, not because of a poor opinion of the book. In fact, I dont see any criticism of the book there.

• The book itself was a bit of a caricature, not just to me, but to many of the people involved,” DePodesta said.

• Moshe Mandel says:

A bit of a caricature is not exactly scathing criticism. I think you are looking to make something bigger here than there is.

• I think you’re reading things into my intentions that aren’t there. Again, I suggest reading the piece.

• Moshe Mandel says:

I read it twice. Please stop telling me to read it. Im not sure why my conclusion is so untenable that you cant fathom that I have read the article and reached a different result than you did.

• I don’t know how anyone could read this sentence-

. . and think he had little to no problem with the book. Further, he wanted his name disassociated from the movie version.

• Moshe Mandel says:

As I said before, he disassociated himself due to a casting decision. This is well documented. And you are right, he did find it to be “a bit” of a caricature. There is a large gulf between that and thinking so little of the book or not liking the book.

• Moshe Mandel says:

Actually, not a casting decision, a characterization decision:

“Believing the script’s image of him was inaccurate and unable to convince the filmmakers to alter the depiction, DePodesta requested his name be removed from the character.”

• No, that’s what I always thought. Read the piece, he doesn’t like the book itself.

He said the Moneyball painted them as relying heavily on statistical analysis to find undervalued assets. But that’s not what they were doing. They were looking everywhere. Scouting, player development, stats. Anything that they felt was underutilized and/or could be done better, they tried to improve upon.

Again “It’s a constant investigation of stagnant systems”

• Moshe Mandel says:

No, he said that Moneyball has taken on those connotations. That specifically suggests that the book itself doesnt actually say that.

• Mo, please read the piece.

• Moshe Mandel says:

I read the piece earlier, and I read it again before commenting. Please dont patronize me. I dont see what you see. He doesnt say Moneyball had a lot of errors or a mistaken perception of what they were doing. He says it has “taken on” those connotations. He seems to be saying what many of us have been saying for a long time: Moneyball isnt about statistics, its about uncovering and exploiting inefficiencies.

• I’m going to repeat this, because it bears repeating and NO ONE EVER FUCKING GETS IT:

34. first time lawng time says:

Do the Knicks know that they should block shots and pass the ball and stuff?

35. Dirty Pena says:

If the Knicks play only 10-12 games like this all year, I’ll be very happy. I’m not sure people realize these recent Knicks have had weeks like this. Many times. Many, many times.

• first time lawng time says:

I was thinking last game how they have competed in every game so far this season and havn’t gotten blown out yet.

Also, pretty sure the entire second half of last season was like this. lol

36. first time lawng time says:

I thought the Knicks were playing the Bucks not the Lakers?

37. first time lawng time says:

So in WS news, something funny to share…I did not hear a single person mention the WS at all. Either during or after. Nothing. I wonder how the ratings were.

38. mbonzo says:

So after Ochocinco made me lose both of fantasy games yesterday I dropped him without even trying to trade him. He has been disgusting to watch.

39. It'sATarp says:

God Philly fans are pissing me off. I was discussing possible lee deals on MLBtraderumors and these phillies fans seem convinced that Lee will accept a lesser deal because he loves philly and wants to pitch with halladay cuz the place is soo great. They even started saying guys like Halladay and Oswalt who came over through trades did so because they wanted to be phillies and loved the place. Apparently to them Free Agents who sign with their team is NEVER about the money but because they do it cuz they love the team/city/fans…WTF this is a borderline delusional view of their team and club. i mean they havea great club but not enough to say people come here for the love not money…And it’s not like one guy saying it but a bunch of philly fans telling me this…

40. Total Dominication says:

RAB’s gone loco today. Time to do something Cashninja, you’re fans are going insane,

41. Westcoastyankfan says:

I just read Lee bought a house in Little Rock, AR
    Little Rock to New York~1200 miles
    Little Rock to Arlington 340 miles
    Am I reading too much into this?

42. Westcoastyankfan says:

Read the article, Kepner makes an interesting comparison between Lee and Sabathia when he signed

43. Westcoastyankfan says:

Jeter is single. Plus Sabathia I believe never moved into the house in the Bay area. Kepner says Lee plans on moving in this off season

44. JobaWockeeZ says:

Red Sox convinced Salty can start at catcher? Varitek may sub in for lefties?

Ar ethey expecting Casey Kelly to go and get a 50 WAR or something? If they pass Beltre and VMart subbing with sub .700 OPS player I would be extremely happy.

The Rays even without Crawford and Soriano still look scary Hellickson, Moore and Jennings in particular in talent that could improve them.

• mbonzo says:

I don’t get that club. They’ve said their top priority is a 3rd basemen, meanwhile who the hell is gonna start catching? Salty is a poor catcher and in his best year hitting, his first, he had a .732 OPS. He hit .248 in AAA this year, maybe they think that he is gaining some power. It just seems insane to me that 3rd base is their priority while they have Youkilis on the team who can handle that, and their catchers are a mess.

• MikeD says:

Salty had a case of the yips. I’m not familiar with any player who fully recovered from it.

It will resurface again, hopefully during a critcal moment during a critical game against the Yankees.

45. That was good and all, real good actually, but this time let’s try it with your mouth more open.