Nov

Open Thread: Jesus turns 21

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

A very happy birthday goes out to the best prospect in the Yankees’ farm system today; Jesus Montero turns the ripe old age of 21. When I turned 21, I was just starting my junior year of college and trying to figure out where the hell my life was going. Montero already has a full year at Triple-A under his belt and is a .314/.371/.511 career hitter with 162 extra base hits in 380 career games. I suddenly feel very inadequate. Happy birthday kid. Make us all proud next year.

Anyway, here’s tonight’s open thread. The late game has the Chargers at the Colts, plus the Knicks and Nets are both in action. Wish Montero a happy birthday and then talk about whatever you want here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. T-Dubs says:

Jesus = Bust.

/go watch you richard simmons dvd’d

2. I turned 21 in Lisbon and it was amazing.

3. Bryan L says:

Happy Birthday Jesus. Don’t go too crazy tonight.

4. MrJigginz says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,TEH HAY-ZOOS!!!!

5. Thomas Tu says:

I was 21 once. Bout to turn 23 in a few months. I’m about to hit that age where some of the players I like are younger than me. It’s an odd feeling

6. UWS says:

I remember when I turned 21. Hazily.

Happy birthday, Jesus!

7. pat says:

Cortland Finnegan is a piece of garbage.

8. Esteban says:

I really hate that baseball prospects are usually younger than me now. Is it finally time to give up on my dream of being a MLB player?

• I Voted 4 Kodos says:

It’s never too late. Every spring I grab my glove and hope that I’ve somehow magically gained the ability to throw 95+ over the winter.

9. mbonzo says:

Yankees should be in talks with Webb in case Pettitte happens to retire. I don’t think he’ll retire but having all their eggs in 2 baskets for 2 pitching spots is a little risky. I haven’t read anything about the Yankees having interest in Webb which surprises me, since he’s probably the best quality pitcher available if he’s healthy.

• mbonzo says:

Best quality pitcher outside of Pettitte and Lee.*

• UWS says:

The “if healthy” part is scary, though. Webb was really good, but dude hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors for 2 seasons and shoulder injuries are worrisome.

• bexarama says:

he’s probably the best quality pitcher available if he’s healthy.

He is, but he’s not. I expect they have some sort of plan involved in case Andy retires AND Lee doesn’t sign. Depending on Webb is a really bad idea, IMO.

• mbonzo says:

No way should the Yankees depend on him. I’m just surprised I haven’t read about Cashman at least contacting Webb. He’s not gonna replace signing Lee, but if the Yankees can’t resign Pettitte and do get Lee, he’d be interesting to look at as a 4/5 pitcher.

• pat says:

Don’t think anybody has any interest in Webb. He was barely cracking 85 at the end of the season

• mbonzo says:

When he was healthy his fastball is usually in the low 90′s. He relies on command and the dipping action of his fastball. Throwing 85 following shoulder surgery is not necessarily a bad sign. That speed could easily come back but I worry more about the movement of his pitches. Either way, I’m surprised Cashman has no interest in him yet.

• Zack says:

“That speed could easily come back”
          It could just as easily not come back.

He’s not signing until late Jan/early Feb just like Sheets did last year. All he could get is a minor league deal right now, he’ll throw for scouts in a few months and hope that he’s throwing more than 85.

• mbonzo says:

Well theres more to it than in the speed. If he’s throwing 85 with his old motion than it could be a good sign. He could come out throwing 92-93 in January, with a different motion, and I wouldn’t want to touch him. He’s a sinkerball pitcher, so if he’s using the same pitching mechanics and getting the same pitch movement with a decrease in velocity comfortably, I would take a gamble on the guy. If he’s throwing hard with no sink, forget it.

• Zack says:

They’ve already said that Webb has to change his arm slot. So yeah he’s going to be throwing mid/high 80s, with a lower arm angle, with less sink.

Minor league deal or pass.

10. pat says:

I’m putting a care package together, does anybody have any Frankincense? I’m all out.

11. GermanYankee says:

Jesus turns 21 … again? I thought that happened like 2000 years ago. I can remember that as if it happened yesterday XD

12. Gonzo says:

Happy 21st, now trade the guy!

13. A common theme is popping up in Jeter discussions the past few days. Many fans are arguing that Derek isn’t all that hard to replace, and some go so far as to say the team might be better off swinging a deal for a Drew and deploying that 15-23 mil elsewhere.

My first impression is to say no, but the more I think about it, the harder it is to argue with this line of thinking. The best argument is that Derek’s an iconic Yankee, he’s chasing 3,000 hits (something no SS has ever done) and it’s good business for YES and the Yankees to keep him in the fold for another year or so.

But Baseball wise? I can’t argue with it.

• Esteban says:

Jeter will almost certainly provide more on field value than almost of the viable alternatives, methinks. Unless he falls off a cliff.

• mbonzo says:

Maybe I’m thinking too Michael Kay like, but I don’t know if Drew could handle playing in New York, especially in replacing Jeter. The next shortstop for the Yankees is going to have to face the media comparing him to Jeter. I’m not so sure a guy like Drew could produce the same in the AL East either. He has buttloads of potential but I feel old Jeter could reproduce Drew’s recent numbers very easily.

• In all honesty, the next Yankee SS just has to hit. Derek’s glove will be almost impossible NOT to replace with an upgrade.

• bexarama says:

Agreed but finding a SS that can hit consistently and isn’t just a one year wonder is much much much easier said than done.

• Drew’s pretty well known, he’s 27 years old and has 4-5 years in the bigs playing full time. But there’s also plenty of known bats on the FA list, trouble is most are almost as old as Derek.

• bexarama says:

Known bats? Really? I assume you’re just talking about the SS list but there’s no one I would describe as “a bat” there outside of Tejada, who isn’t even playing SS any more (and who probably isn’t a better bet for production than Jeter even if he was).

• mbonzo says:

I posted in another thread about the upcoming shortstops that could replace Jeter. Drew just hasn’t hit consistently to be worth what Arizona wants for him.

Hanley – He’s getting expensive. Could be available after 2012 in trades. FA in 2015.

Tulowitzki – He’s getting expensive too. He’ll probably be available in trades for 2013. FA in 2014.

Reyes – Should be extended by the Mets if he stays healthy. FA in 2012.

Drew – Available now in trades but ARI wants your entire system. FA in 2013.

Of all those players, assuming Reyes has a full 2011 season, he might make the most sense for the Yankees. Tulowitzki would probably require ungodly things to trade for. A trade would probably start with a catcher and a starting pitcher, which the Yankees can handle.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I’d rather go for Hanley. Tulo si an unkown outside of Coors. He’ll still be good but not worth whatever the cost will be.

• mbonzo says:

I like Hanley too but I think the Red Sox will be willing to trade a lot more than the Yankees. They loved the Beckett trade, but don’t tell me that FO doesn’t regret letting Ramirez go. Every offseason I see articles about the Red Sox eyeing him and they are overdue for a good shortstop. I wouldn’t want to touch them in that bidding war.

• We can’t seriously discuss Reyes. The Yanks and Mets will never make a trade of that significance.

• mbonzo says:

I’m referring to a Reyes with “a full 2011 season” on the 2012 FA market. Depends how Jeter handles SS in 2012, but if he looks too old and needs to be moved to OF or DH, Reyes might be the next best option. I don’t see it happening either.

• JerseyDutch says:

Even at 36 it seems like he’s better than anyone else we could get to replace him. Is he $20 million better? Opinions vary…

14. I posted this in OT

Any SABR person want to work out my advanced stats for my softball team?

My triple slash was
    J. Cecala .324/.425/.471/.896

15. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

Having had the experience of seeing Jesus close up in Scranton-priceless.

I have a signed bat, ball and the memory of his answer when I asked him if he was faster than Posada:

“I no fast.”

Feliz Cumpleanos Jesus!

16. mike says:

Montero will either be like Miggy Cabrera, Victor Martinez or a bust

17. pat says:

Stevie you’re my boy and all, but don’t go dropping any more 40 yard TD passes.

• Reggie C. says:

Ugh. That must be eating him alive this moment. Poor Bills.

Steve Johnson is still a WR START going forward. At least for me he is.

18. Bryan L says:

Who of the following players do you believe will be signed at the Winter Meetings?

Jayson Werth
    Carl Crawford
    Cliff Lee
    Carl Crawford
    Adrian Beltre
    Rafael Soriano
    Derek Jeter
    Paul Konerko
    Mariano Rivera
    Carlos Pena

19. brian says:

Hey Pat=word

20. Total Dominication says:

So this MR Moss guy is awesome, Posada sucks lol whatevs.

21. OMG Bagels! says:

Jesus’ birthday is today and God’s is tomorrow? Can we get God a new contract? Please whomever is higher than God.

22. YankeesJunkie says:

Gun to your head:

1. Jeter for four years and 80 million dollars

2. Jeter leaves and the Yankees pursue other SS not in the current top 4 of MLB right now and also not Nunez.

23. Reggie C. says:

Brandon Webb was putting together a HoF caliber career. Right? He had a 3-season stretch of posting a WHIP no higher than 1.20. Webb already has the best sinker in baseball, so all the man needs is to get his velo back to the low 90s. I believe he can still be a winning pitcher, but he’ll probably end up in SEA on a 1-year deal.

24. Chuck says:

Jesus= Does not exist.

25. Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

I do not think Jeter is $19-20M a year better than Eduardo Nunez over the next 4 years. We can spend the money elsewhere and still win the WS without Derek.

/blasphemy

• mbonzo says:

I don’t know the economics of it, but I bet that Jeter is $19-$20M a year better than Nunez based on revenue. Nunez will bring in close to anything, while Jeter will sell loads of jerseys, ads, and Ford Edges.

• Xstar7 says:

Yankees without Jeter in 2011= Blasphemy

• bexarama says:

People keep saying this. On who? Yeah, I know we never really know the trade market so we don’t know who would get traded and need an extension. I don’t really want to sign Crawford or Werth considering what they’re looking for. Spending it on DH-types like Dunn probably isn’t wise considering how next year’s team looks. It’s not worth it spending that money on relievers or bench guys. Lee’s already gettin’ paid.

The fact remains, Derek Jeter fits what the Yankees need a lot better than any other free agent available, IMO. Obviously this doesn’t mean PAY HIM WHATEVER HE WANTS~~!!!!

26. Slappy White says:

Is Jesus, who has never played one game for the Yankees, more popular here at RAB than Derek Jeter ?

/just asking’d

27. Bryan L says:

I just made a twitter and added a tried to add a few people on here. If you got one, add me: bryanl26

28. mike c says:

about the all-time yankee team: who’s the DH? i’m leaning towards mattingly over reggie here

29. Kiersten says:

I have 2 weeks and 2 days left of being 21. Sad :(

In other news, how is Jesus’ English? I should drive down to Tampa in February and pick myself up a future millionaire.

• Yo Quiero Montero (formerly LarryF) says:

It is supposedly pretty good and getting better all the time! His parents, however, will have a difficult time conversing with their future daughter-in-law.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I have 9.5 months longer than you! aha!

On your other note, you should practice up on some dance moves and Spanish because there is a good chance he will be at a Robinson Cano level English which is pretty funny to watch during the post games.

• mike c says:

22 is a great year. 26 is the age where birthdays stop being fun

30. icebird753 says:

Montero looks at least 23. No way he’s 21 that’s total b.s.

31. mbonzo says:

Vincent Jackson goes a whole 3 plays before he left the game tonight. Impressive outing.

32. JerseyDutch says:

It’s too bad Montero isn’t a closer. The NY Post headlines would be epic — “Jesus Saves!”

33. Kiersten says:

I CAN’T HANDLE THIS.

It’s already enough that it’s November and I have to get a headache from all the hot stove rumors, now everyone is convinced that Jon Gruden has sign a contract to coach the Hurricanes, but it hasn’t been confirmed yet. SOMEONE EITHER CONFIRM OR DENY IT PLEASE!!!!

34. Avi says:

Happy Birthday Jesus!
    Looking forward to your Hall of Fame career in pinstripes and to the day they retire your number. I hope to be at many of the games when you’re invoking memories of Frank Thomas, Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera.
    No pressure.

35. bexarama says:

I decided I could handle the Joe Girardi thread at NYYFans, at long last. Oh my God. No, I can not.

36. pat says:

Of effing course the Chargers put up 30+ points and Rivers has less than 200 yards and no TD’s. Grrrrrrrrrrr