Nov

Open Thread: Yankees on Twitter

I don’t know how many of you out there use Twitter, but it’s turned into the go-to place for up-to-the-second news and information. Not just about baseball either, though that’s mostly what I use it for. Anyway, I wanted to compile a list of all of the Yankee players and prospects on Twitter in case you missed any of them, so here it is…

The Yanks’ 2009 fifth rounder Caleb Cotham was on Twitter for a while, but apparently he deleted his account at some point. Oh well. You can also follow David Robertson‘s wife Erin (@ERob3) and Swish’s better half JoAnna Garcia (@JoAnnaLGarcia). Here’s the full list of MLB players with verified Twitter accounts. I recommend David Price, Will Rhymes, and the king of big leaguers on Twitter, Logan Morrison. Obviously some are more active than others.

As for the individual teams, you of course have the big league club (@YankeesPR), plus five minor league affiliates: Triple-A Scranton (@SWBYankees), Double-A Trenton (@TrentonThunder), High-A Tampa (@TampaYankees), Low-A Charleston (@ChasRiverDogs), and Short Season Staten Island (@SIYanks). They’ll tweet lineups, injury news, signings, stuff like that. If there are any Yankee players or related personnel you know of that aren’t mentioned above, well quit holding out and post them in the comments.

Oh, and follow everyone at RAB too. There’s me (@mikeaxisa), Ben (@bkabak), Joe (@joepawl), Steve (@SteveH_MandAura), and then @RiverAveBlues and @RABFeed. The former is for quick comments, discussion, and random links, the latter automatically tweets a link whenever a new post goes up.

Once you’re done with that, use this sucker as your open thread for the evening. MNF has the Steelers at the Bengals, and that’s pretty much it for sports. Talk about whatever you want, just be cool.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Carlosologist says:

Topic of the night: George Steinbrenner, our beloved and hated late owner, has been included on the Veterans Committee ballot for posthumous induction into the Hall of Fame. Who here thinks he makes the cut?

2. bexarama says:

Billy Ripken you are soooooo stuuuuupiddddd

Also highly recommended: Travis Snider (@lunchboxhero45). He talks about food a lot. It’s cute.

3. How about a shout out for RAB readers on Twitter, huh?

I’m @rebeccapbp, and you are… (let’s get a list going)

4. @oldhossradbourn
    @ozzieguillen

Also Granderson is going to be on Martha Stewart tomorrow lmao

5. Tom Zig says:

Betances has Twitter? GTFO. Awesome.

6. YankeesJunkie says:

Honestly, I am not a big fan of twitter. What does it offer that face does not. However, I am person that does not really care to share what he is doing at every hour. Hearing that I am in MGT class for the next hour and half sounds like something only my parents would be interested in.

7. Thomas Tu says:

Lol. Dellin is hood. I love it.

8. 28 this year says:

did we figure out who Joe’s pitching target is?

9. He hasn’t tweeted in over a year, but @Burul21 is da Jesus. (unconfirmed)

10. T.J. says:

On another baseball forum I post on someone posted this. I’m not sure which part is more unrealistic:

Joba, Montero and another mid-level prospect to KC for DeJesus and Greinke

Greinke then flipped to San Diego for Heath Bell and another pitcher.

11. Not Tank the Frank says:

Phil Hughes’ facebook account is hilarious. I saw we had a friend in common so I clicked on his profile and looked through some of the public pics. His profile pic (at the time I checked it out) is him in a locker room in a sleeveless, black, heavy metal “Marduk” t-shirt and camo bicycle shorts on with someone’s hand reaching out from behind him and between his legs. I was like…WTF! He definitely seems like a prankster. Just though I’d share that.

12. Sean C says:

I work second shift (and live in IL) and recently got promoted. I pretty much sit there and make sure everyone on my team goes out and does work. I sit on my laptop and surf the interwebs until all hell breaks loose, and I can only go to ESPN and RAB so often. That said, I can’t WAIT for baseball to start so I can renew my MLB.TV account and get paid to watch Yankees games. Is it fair, probably not. Is it awesome, yes. Does anyone have suggestions for daily Yankee reading (ESPN-NY makes me sick to my stomach with how irresponsible it is in regards to “reporting” about the Yankees…) outside of RAB?

• YankeesJunkie says:

You could motivate your employees in the meantime and hope to watch the Yankees from a higher position.

• Sean C says:

That would indeed be good, but it would move me out of seconds, so I could just watch Yankee games at home. Which would be better. There is much logic to your statement.

• YankeesJunkie says:

True, even though the higher salary might be nice you would have to watch the Yanks at home, or wait till the next day.

13. Carlosologist says:

A comedic gem: The Yanks should trade Phil Hughes for Prince Fielder.

14. OldYanksFan says:

Let the Blood Bath Begin!!!!
    Yankees Likely To Offer Jeter $45-60MM
    … likely to offer Derek Jeter a3-year deal worth $45-60m

• How is that a bloodbath? That’s first a huge range of offers and not a surprise. If it’s in the upper ends of what Matthews suggested, both sides will be happy. Perhaps they’ll add a fourth year, and the negotiations will wrap up pretty easily.

• OldYanksFan says:

Well… if he gets 3/$60, that’s about twice, or more, then he’s worth. Since AJ is around for another 3 years, and everyone thinks $22m for Cliff will be in there, we have a pretty inflexible payroll for the next 3 years.

Lets hope nobody gets injured or falls off a cliff.

ARod: $29.5m
        Teix: $23m
        CC: $23m
        AJ: $16.5m
        Cano: $13m
        Lee: $22m
        Jeter: $20m

$147m for 7 players. Wowza!

• I don’t know this for sure, but all indications are that the Yankees can afford to pay. The bigger concern for me are the years. What will Derek Jeter’s offensive and defensive production look like in 2014 when he turns 40? I can’t imagine it’s going to be all that great.

• Reggie C. says:

Lets hope we don’t find out. If Cashman does his job right, DJ won’t be embarrassing himself 4 seasons from now.

• Jerome S says:

I can imagine Jeter being a starter on the bench in 2014, you know? For appearances sake he’s listed as a starting SS but really he’d only play 60 games or something.

• I’m not sure if I’d call it inflexible, Andy and Posada have large salaries and they’ll be replaced by younger talent in the next 1-2 years. That’s ~26m off the books right there.

• candyforstalin says:

3/52,5m would be just about right.

• Reggie C. says:

If DJ wants that 4th year, I would want Cashman to hold firm on keeping the AAS to $12 million. If DJ wants to go for the money, then cap the years at 3/ $15 million AAS.

• If he signs a deal for 3 years and 45 million I’ll do the god damn Papelbon dance.

The only thing you can determine from Matthews shit article was that he has no idea how much money Ryan Howard makes.

15. T-Dubs says:

I highly recommend @mashmore98 and @jnorris427 for all of your Trenton Thunder needs. Also, you can find me at @tylerwilkinson for Yankees, UConn & sometimes-political rants.

16. T-Dubs says:

Is Grant Balfour a Type A/B free agent? MLBtr predicted him signing with the Yanks.

17. JerseyDutch says:

Something’s been bothering me. Why are steroids bad but surgery like Tommy John OK? Granted, TJ is used to repair an injury, but it’s technically not “natural,” which seems to be the complaint against steroids. And if TJ is OK to repair an injury, why is it not OK to take HGH like Pettitte did? It just seems like a double standard. If we’re dedicated to eradicating performance enhancement, shouldn’t everything go including surgery?

• It ruins the purity of baseball or something like that because no other performance enhancer ever existed before steroids…

• mbonzo says:

I agree. I don’t think steroids do as much as people think. While steroids will increase a players strength and reaction time, it will also impede on their “athleticism”. Although these players can react quicker there is more muscle bulk to move which will make them a slower runner, have slower bat speed, and slow down many pitching motions. This is not my argument though.

At what point do you call a supplement illegal? TJ is not a supplement but it is unnatural. What about protein, creatine, caffeine? What supplements can we consider natural if HGH is considered unnatural? All supplements are a product of some sort of unnatural process, if you think players get all their protein from eating meat you’re wrong. IMO baseball should allow players to use substances as long as it is permitted by a doctor. If a doctor thinks it will make a player become a better athlete and have a “healthier” body I don’t understand why its a bad idea when the players do it now in an abusive environment.

Players have been doing supplements and taking drugs to improve their play since the beginning of baseball. The game has changed through time, increasing the amount of games in the season, decreasing the mound height, increasing and decreasing stadium dimensions, Astroturf; all of these are examples of an inconsistent game. If you think Babe Ruth could hit 714 home runs off pitchers like Lincecum, Clemens, or Nolan Ryan and still put up 94 wins as a pitcher, you’re insane. This is a different age for baseball, and although its “cool” to look back and compare Jeter to Gehrig or Bonds to the Babe, its more important to be realistic and prevent baseball players from abusing supplements instead of forcing them to do it illegally.

18. Kevin G. says:

Soooooooo…. anyone other nerds getting Black Ops?

19. FIPster Doofus says:

The Yankees bought their world championship a couple years ago. Anyone who signed Sabathia, Burnett and Teixeira would have won the World Series. Nothing is stopping them from pushing their payroll to $220-230 million.

Sincerely,