Nov

Yankees release Jon Albaladejo

Updated (4:51 p.m.): The Yankees released righty reliever Jon Albaladejo today so he could pursue a contract in Japan. He probably requested the release after an NPB team expressed interest, and the Yanks obliged. The 28-year-old has thrown 59.1 unspectacular innings for the Yanks since being acquired from the Nationals for Tyler Clippard after the 2007 season, though he was a monster in Triple-A. Albie was out of options, so he would have had to clear waivers to go back to the minors next year. He’ll be getting a deal from the Yomiuri Giants, so good for him.

The move frees up another 40-man roster spot. By my unofficial count, there are just 30 players on the team’s 40-man at the moment, but they have a full offseason ahead of them.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. teddy says:

yes, i was hoping he wouldn’t take a 40 man spot

2. Accent Shallow says:

Should have gotten a shot over Chan Ho Freakin’ Park.

3. I didn’t really like how Joe used him this year. He had 10 appearances, half of which were more than 1 inning long. He clearly wasn’t accustomed to that after being a strictly one-inning closer in AAA.

Then again he never did manage to distinguish himself. Here’s hoping he finds success overseas.

4. Joe says:

Smallest glove ever

5. ultimate913 says:

From the black eye to the small glove to the countless amount of times I couldn’t spell your last name, I’ll miss ya, Albaladalabarama.

6. Clay Bellinger says:

Mike lied to us in the chat. He said he’d be with the Yanks for at least April.

7. king of fruitless hypotheticals says:

Alberladingo, you never had a chance. Not your fault…don’t let it affect you–prove it by demonstrating your alberlawesomeness somewhere else.

Good luck!

8. pat says:

Girardi still hasn’t figured out he isn’t a long man.

9. joe lefko says:

Is there anything the yanks can do under the rules to be sure he goes to NPB and not another ML club?

10. GermanYankee says:

wow, didn’t see that coming. I guess Albie could be a rock solid closer for most if not all Japanese Teams. I think he’ll have 2-3 great years in Japan and then come back to the MLB.

11. mbonzo says:

This makes me wonder if the competition is harder in Japan or AAA

12. I bet he went to Japan just so he could play in a nation where people didn’t have problems pronouncing his name.

13. ABS says:

I was PISSED when they traded Clippard for him back in the day, and, obligatory NL v. Al comments aside, it clearly was a bad trade – Clippard has been a great setup guy for the Nats…

• mbonzo says:

You were pissed when the Yankees trade a guy with a 6.33 ERA for someone with a 1.88 ERA? You must be Captain Hindsight.

• ABS says:

So just because a guy has a lower ERA one year he’s better? Clippard much younger at the same level and had a better overall track record.

• Cnight_UP says:

define great…

• ABS says:

Last two years he has had ERAs of 2.69 and 3.07, with only 105 hits in 151.1 innings, 179 Ks, low HR rate and decent walk rate – very impressive for a setup guy. Compare that to Joba, or even Wood, and his numbers are better. I call that pretty damn good.

• Andrew says:

I agree that the the gamble did not pay off, but Clippard is very blah. His peripherals in terms of FIP and just even walks alone are scary, and his crazy luck in 2009 (.207 BABIP against is, wow) have made him out to be a big time reliever, which I don’t think he is based on 2 years’ time. The strike outs/K per 9 are impressive, and that’s valuable, but I think him with the Yankees would be ugly.

14. Monteroisdinero says:

Like Sparky Lyle, Alby went from Cy Young to Sayonara…

/triple A version

15. I feel like he never even got a chance to perform. He was promising in AAA and I was excited to see him play. Now we need another bullpen dude, probably Nova will transition to the pen.

• radnom says:

Eh, I trust teams when it comes to middle relief in the high minors. Every year, every team it seems like there is someone who totally should be getting a chance based on the numbers but isn’t. It usually turns out those guys are either not that good (or just not ready) Colter Bean/Melancon/Albaladejo are recent Yankee examples.

16. tampaRob says:

Larry Rothschild our new pitching coach

17. tampaRob says:

*Rothchild *

18. Yank the Frank says:

Just as well, I could never pronounce his name anyway.

19. tampaRob says:

not speculation..it’s fact

20. Sal says:

Top 5 Highest Probability signings (free agents who you absolutely knew were coming to the Yankees:

1. Jason Giambi
    2. Dave Winfield
    3. Catfish Hunter
    4. Reggie Jackson
    5. Ciff Lee

21. tampaRob says:

Just because I don’t post much doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m talking about. Why would I make that up Tom zig?

22. Thomas says:

The Tigers signed Al Alburquerque and the Yankees released Jonathan Albaladejo. Those are some long similar names for a MLBTR post.

23. Steve says:

Could the Yanks get slick and not add Jeter, Mo and Andy (I am assuming he is coming back) back to the team until after the rule 5 so they can protect 3 more players?

• Rick in Boston says:

Yes, but then you’d have to pass those three minor leaguers through waivers to open up spots for Jeter, Mo, etc.

24. Steve in Seattle says:

The Yanks must have given him an indication privately that he wasn’t in their plans. Or he simply needs the cash.

25. MikeD says:

The Yankees seemed to be in love with Albaladejo when he first showed up and had mediocre stuff. Then he loses weight and changes his approach, putting up some dominant numbers in the minors, and they never give him a chance. Mystery.

• Dave says:

No other MLB team wanted him either. Nobody seeks to play in Japan unless you know you can’t get a job in MLB.

Teams can see through those AAA numbers. Remember Colter Bean and many other AAAA relievers who put up huge numbers in AAA and Yankees fans annually lust over?