Nov

Yanks still don’t know how many years Mo wants

Via Ken Rosenthal, Mariano Rivera‘s camp still has not informed the Yankees if the G.O.A.T. is seeking a one- or two-year deal. Either way I don’t believe it will be an issue, but common says tells you that you’d prefer to keep the commitment as short as possible with a guy that will turn 41 years old in just 17 days. If nothing else, this tells us how for along the two sides are in the negotiation process, meaning not far along at all.

Rosenthal also mentions that the Yanks expect Kerry Wood to test the closer’s market. Saves equal money people, both now and in the future. It’s only smart for Wood to see what’s out there.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Matt DiBari says:

One thing about Mo, like I said with Jeter, is I don’t see him embarrassing himself. If Mo gets absolutely lit up, I see him gracefully retiring.

• Zack says:

Different situations i think.
      If he pitches to a 5.00 era as the closer, that stands out and blowing games left and right is more embarassing cause you’re out there alone cause your team fought for 8 innings and you’re the one to blow it.
      Jeter can hit .250/.310/.350 and people can blame the other 8 hitters.

2. Mo will take a 1-year deal with little hesitation. He knows how to play the “aging player” game. All he has to do is be Mo in 2011 and he’ll be back in 2012.

3. mike c says:

it’s kind of hard to give a linear contract to the alpha and omega

4. Klemy says:

G.O.A.T. = God Of All Things? I must’ve missed this meme.

5. Yank the Frank says:

He may just go with one year deals with a player option for a 2nd. Mo will know when it’s time to go. I just depressed the hell out of myself.

• CBean says:

I keep depressing myself by thinking about how, at the end of the 2012 season, we could be in line to lose Jorgie, Andy, and Mo. /sniffles

• Jerome S says:

We’ll be lucky if Jorge makes it into 2012. He’s been falling apart like an old car since 2008 :(

• RL says:

You mean the end of the 2011 season, right? (even worse!)

• CBean says:

Ugh, yes. Wow. I seriously just forgot what year it is. It’s been a long week.

• RL says:

Although I really do think Mo has at least 2 more good years. I suspect Andy will hang it up after ’11 (I expect he’ll return for the ’11 season) and Jorgie’s contract is up. I don’t expect the Yankees will offer him another contract unless they both agree he’s a full-time DH in ’12.

6. seimiya says:

In my head, it makes sense just to go year-to-year with Mo. It’s not like we’re not going to invite him back every year, assuming he does awesomely – or even almost awesomely, I’d say. Even if Mo performed like an average closer, rather than The Most Amazing Closer Ever, I would love to see him back (although it would certainly be strange to see him sporting an ERA ~2.)

7. AC says:

I read not to long ago he said he wanted to go year to year like Petitte does. He’s 41 you know.

8. Kiersten says:

you say that as if he’s human.

9. Striz says:

Leroy satchel paige age 59 kc athletics

10. Amol says:

I’m not really worried about a long commitment. Because of the way Mo pitches, relying exclusively on the perfect placement of his cutter, I have a hard time seeing him being subject to an age related decline into mediocrity. If he ever declines, I think it’s going to be a complete collapse, and if that happens I doubt he’ll stick around just for a paycheck.

11. Tony says:

I rally think Mo can go as long as he wants ’cause the one thing Mo has is God Phil. 4:13 on his Glove “I can do anything through him who gives me strength”

• Tony says:

*really think

• Jonathan says:

right…so all you have to do is get a bible passage stitched on your glove and you can pitch in the majors forever? I think I’ll pay the $50 to get my glove personalized for a $400 K/year contract minimum. If only it were that easy.

12. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

I see a possible contract Personal Srvcs $ written on this just like Jeter’s.
    I believe that won’t count towards the payroll as it’s deferred and for services after retirement.
    Who else would you want your future Aces to learn a thing or two about pitching than from Mo.

And he can teach that cutter…As the story goes Roy Halladay learned perfected his cutter from Mo while at the 2008 All Star game. Both were talking about the Art of Pitching, and Mo taught Halladay his secret weapon…Whether it’s true or not it sure makes for an amusing story.

With all that spare time Joba has had last yr in the pen he “Gotta go To Mo’s”