Dec

Pettitte still leaning towards retirement

Via Marc Carig, a person close to Andy Pettitte said the chances of the big lefty returning for the 2011 season are roughly 30%. “There is a very real possibility that he will retire,” said this person, and I think we all understood that from the get go. I certainly respect that Pettitte is making a major life decision here, but I would really like to see a resolution sometime soon. The wait is killing me, yo.

Categories : Asides

1. bexarama says:

Andy’s friends say a lot of different things.

(weeps everywhere)

• CBean says:

You and me both, Bexy. I just am not ready to let him go.

• JJ Putzer says:

Oh, grow up. Life goes on. Send him a fan mail letter if youre so broken up.

Take down that Bieber poster off your wall while you are at it.

• jd says:

If Andy retires, so be it. Its his decision. However, if Yanks don’t find some pitchers by Opening Day they could be out of it quick and the trading deadline won’t matter.

2. Bulldozer says:

Maybe he’ll pull a Roger or Pedro and come back during the season.

3. A.D. says:

What’s next Girardi lets Jeter, Mo, and Posada out of spring training to fly to Texas and woo Andy?

4. nathan says:

The way this offseason has gone, wont be shocked by that at all.

Maybe a Clemens type of deal would be fine too? Ask him to come in July.

5. theyankeewarrior says:

Another news story about how the Yankees are gonna be STACKED with pitching next year

6. FIPster Doofus says:

This offseason keeps getting better.

7. So Jeff Francis for $5M+incentives should be announced by tomorrow morning at the latest, right?

8. Am I the only one that thinks Andy as already to Cash & co that he’s not coming back, he just hasn’t publicly announced yet as a way to help the Yanks “keep the price down” on his replacement?

9. Mike R says:

Yah. This off season probably couldn’t get any worse.. Atleast we resigned Mo and Jeter. I have no problem with Nova in the starting rotation but Mitre is a complete joke. The fact that Girardi keeps bringing this guy back reflects how stubborn Girardi is. Mitre is not a good pitcher, he’s continued to show that, the guy isn’t even an innings eater.. Man oh man do we need Pettitte back.

10. stuart a says:

well with andy’s $15, Javy’s $11 and saving $5 on Jeter the Yanks have $31 mill. They can spend $20 wisely and in the long run be better off.

how about 3 low risk high reward Jeff Francis types at $4 mill or less each, how about a bench guy or 2 and go from there.

11. Michael Mirabella says:

Jesse Crain has finalized a $13 million three-year deal with the White Sox. That team’s starting to look really good. My pick for the AL Central.

12. David says:

Dang! I was so looking forward to Andy being inserted into the rotations… almost as much as Bexy was looking forward to Andy being inserted into her … thoughts

:-)

13. Michael Mirabella says:

So your saying after losing basically their whole bullpen to free agency the Twins are going to win the Central? Or wait, that’s right, Victor Martinez is going to get the Tigers above .500 and get them the division…what was I thinking.

14. OXXBOW says:

I’ve pretty much given up on Cashman doing anything to bring in a solid starter. And, what the h**l is Mitre still doing on the roster. He’s bloody awful!

15. stuart a says:

mitre will not be a starter.

feliciano is a nice pickup and martin is much better then cervelli so theose are positives…

any chance brackman and others can contribute?? Can’t believe they will not get a high cieling low cost option……

16. Jerome S. says:

I have never known a Yankees team without the Core Four. (Fan est. 2007)
    :’( I knew this day would come…

17. Sandman42 says:

This is part of a bigger problem. They really messed up big time with Joba moving him back and forth between reliever and starter. Even if he wasn’t as dominant as we all hoped, he’d still be a serviceable 3/4 at worst, and for cheap.

Given what happened this offseason, there is no helpful in the foreseeable future too unless one or more of the 3 killer Bs really work out. Offense won’t be able to carry this team in this division and soon the Yankees may not have the pitching to compete with Boston or Tampa.

Not a good position to be in for a team that needs to win now (for the aging stars like jeter, arod, mo, posada )

• The Big City of Dreams says:

That’s why missing out on Lee was such a big blow because he was the center piece of their entire off season. We can’t blame Cashman for not getting him because Lee chose to go somewhere else. What is Cashman’s fault is the misuse of Joba as well as trading over pitching prospects over the past couple of seasons took away from the depth they had. No I’m not saying those guys would pitch like aces but you need guys like those in times of need and right now the Yankees are desperate.

18. AJ says:

If I didn’t love Andy, I’d be getting impatient. But I wouldn’t be surprised he offers to come back for a one-year $18MM deal. But would he be worth it at that price..

19. Rob says:

Mike,
    would you go as far as saying that..the waiting is the hardest part??

20. Yank the Frank says:

Shit or get off the pot.

21. bobmac says:

Has Andy started hanging out with Favre?