Dec

Yankees sign Leonel Vinas to minor league contract

Via Bryan Hoch, the Yankees have signed 19-year-old right-hander Leonel Vinas to a minor league contract after being called to Tampa for three private workout sessions. He spent the summer pitching for a Hank Steinbrenner sponsored youth team here in New York, defeating Mariano Rivera Jr.’s team at Yankee Stadium for the “Boss’s Cup.” Vinas struck out 168 batters in 84 innings this year, throwing no-hitters against Adelphia University and Suffolk Community College. According to the article he throws a fastball, curveball, and changeup, and will start his career as a reliever in rookie ball next season.

I’m always a fan of long-shot stories like this, so I wish him nothing but the best of luck.

Categories : Asides, Minors, Transactions

1. Tank the Frank says:

Is this the kid that was featured on YES I think on Yankees Magazine recently?

2. We’ll see your Cliff Lee, and raise you a…

(Kidding, obviously. Love the longshot stories, hopefully this kid will work out.)

3. dalelama says:

This off season gets more depressing by the minute….

• Esteban says:

Why does this depress you?

• DanMizer says:

People are not getting that the yankees current team was two games away from another trip to the world series… who did they lose? Nick Johnson, Javier Vazquez, and Marcus Thames????

Seriously… why no faith? why do the yankees have to go out and get everyone for people to be happy.

this is why everyone states that yankee fans are spoiled.

my buddy keeps sending me emails with keith law links about why Russell Martin wont be good….. we dont need him to be russell martin 3 years ago… we just need him to replace an ineffective Francisco Cervelli….

please people.. we will be fine.. have you been alive the last 15 years?????

• peteypabs says:

yanks lost kerry wood too… and possibly pettitte

• dalelama says:

Obviously I meant baseball depression not real depression…LOL…One championship in the last ten years…I have lived through two WS championship droughts 64 thru 76, 79 thru 95, and I just think this team is gradually headed there…aging stars, other teams younger with better farm systems, no improvement over this off season, and too many humongous contracts not producing to their costs. I just saw an aging, slow team, with one pitcher we could rely on at the end of last season. The Red Sux improved significantly as did the Sillies. I know one big trade can change things or we could squeak into the playoffs and catch lightning in a bottle but I think our chances of winning the WS have decreased from about 33% last year to about 10% in 2011. Hope I am proven wrong.

• Andrew Brotherton says:

So our top 10 overall farm system doesn’t inspire you which includes at least 6 arms with at least #4 or better stuff, the best hitting prospect in baseball, tons of up the middle talent and prospects in the next few years by the boatloads. The Red Sox did not improve dramatically, and honestly the Phillies broke even, they replaced Jayson Werth with Cliff Lee which filled one hole and created another hole. We improved our only real hole which was a catcher with Russell Martin. Also we had the 12th most stolen bases in the major leagues last year, we also have very few humongous contracts and the ones we have are slipping away evidenced by our only 18 million dollar luxury bill payment. There are very few teams that have as much youth as we have, there are very few teams with better farm systems, there are very few teams with more speed than we have? Sorry that you don’t have any faith in your team..why don’t you go follow the Red Sox.

4. A.D. says:

How could he avoid being drafted?

5. 18 K/9. Ridiculous. I’d like to know his number of walks, though. Looks like he might power through the system. I like this signing.

6. This kid loves Borat, huh? (Mentioned in an article I found and facebook.) Ima call him Borat.

Read that he has a mid 80s fastball. Anyone know anything about him or know of more recent scouting reports?

7. Christopher says:

I’ve heard that Mariano Jr. isn’t a very good player through a mutual friend. That tells me the type of competition that he faced was sub par.

• Dr. O says:

and I worked with a guy that played community college ball with Evan Longoria that said he would never get out of AA. Its hard to figure out how good a teenager is going to be should he dedicate his life to baseball.

8. tomaconda says:

Mariano Rivera Jr

JIMP’d

9. aldot says:

And when they showed this signing on the local news tonight they said that “last year he was a gang member” — their words, not mine. If he clicks this could be a way cooler kid-makes-good story than we realize.

10. dennis says:

Looks like hank finally has a horse in the race. (pun intended)

11. Miles says:

he was not a gang member, trust me !

12. oh hell says:

This qualifies as worst offseason in 19 Years. Who is next-Signing of Tj beam or Desalvo.

13. Jorge says: