Jan

Open Thread: Jets vs. Pats

So who you guys got this afternoon? The consensus is that the Patriots will wipe the floor with Rex Ryan’s team, but I don’t think it’ll be another 45-3 drubbing like last time. Hopefully it’s a fun and entertaining game, that’s really all I could ask for. Kickoff is at 4:30pm ET and the game is on CBS. Talk about it here if you so choose.

1. bexarama says:

Let’s go nuclear winter :\

2. Jets.

Just because my relatives from the Boston area were being cocky about the Patriots when I visited them a week ago.

3. JDDZip says:

If your a Yankee fan and your rooting for the patriots. Then …

4. Zack says:

Man I hate Bart Scott, stop the crying

5. mko says:

Go Patriots! And yes, I’m a Yankees fan ;-). Sorry New Yorkers!

• Leo says:

How is this even possible? Can you please enlighten me? Not to hate on you but I’m just very curious. Same goes for all the other Pats/Yanks fans.

• mko says:

I’m not from New York, but Europe. I don’t have this built-in hate for Boston, just a small bit for the Red Sox.
        I wouldn’t call myself a Pats fan, I just like them more than the Jets right now. But I do respect their play over the last decade – they’re just a really good team. And I respect that.

• Aaron S. says:

It’s actually quite simple. I grew up in New York – hence I am a Yankee fan. When I was growing up I wasn’t a big football fan but I rooted for the Jets because of Curtis Martin and the Giants because of Lawrence Taylor. Then I moved overseas for a few years and stopped following the NFL altogether. When I returned, I was living in MA and became a Pats fan (despite my hatred of Drew Bledsoe). Now, I’m a Yankee fan and a Pats fan. Baseball, to me, still stands hands above all other sports. But when it comes to football the Pats are my team.

6. Ivan says:

Under any circumstances I cannot root for any team in the NE/Boston area. No way! Besides their is no way I can root for those cocky bastards, that asshole of a coach they have, and the players that ESPN keep suckin off (Ok I can live with Brady). Go Jets!!!!

7. Poopy Pants says:

Go Pats (until they play the Steelers, Packers or Bears). F the Jets.

8. JDDZip says:

I love the Jets and everything they stand for. At least Rex Ryan doesn’t bow down to the Pats

9. Januz says:

This will be 35-10 Patriots, the Jets don’t belong in the same UNIVERSE with the Pats. However, there is one guy who can handle New England………….. Ben Roethlisberger. My prediction: Steelers vs Packers in the Super Bowl

• Ivan says:

Tom Brady in the past, has destroyed the Steelers D over the years. Not saying the Steelers can’t beat the pats but still.

10. Esteban says:

So much for Brady’s turnoverless streak haha

11. Ivan says:

I don’t like the offensive play calls in that spot. Your not beating Tom Brady with FG’s. And just like that, the TO goes to watse. Terrible possession their by the Jets.

12. Zack says:

Lol and they point no points on the board

13. FIPster Doofus says:

Nice offensive series and an even better kick. Way to go, Jets.

14. Pasqua says:

I think it’s safe to say that you can’t fucking do that!

15. Poopy Pants says:

Folk Hero!

16. Pat D says:

Now I despise both of these teams, so I’m with bex talking about nuclear winter.

But that Jets offensive series following the INT that should have been a Pick 6 if Scott could run, should be replayed with the Benny Hill music being played in the background.

Considering the Pats are now driving, that could very easily be the turning point of the game. Yes, already.

17. Poopy Pants says:

I want Brady to crush Mark Sanchez’s dreams.
    Then I want Big Ben to crush Brady’s dreams.
    Then I want Aaron Rodgers to crush Big Ben’s dreams.

18. Januz says:

Typical Jets missing the Field Goal after the interception, this game will get ugly very quickly. Good news for the Pats, Mark Sanchez is playing QB, so Ryan chickened out, and still got nothing. Bad News: Next week, if he makes the same mistake, Ben Roethliberger, Hines Ward, Mike Wallace & Co, will put seven on the board.

19. OMG Bagels! says:

I’m a Giants fan who is still delirious over the last Jints/Pats superbowl and the stomping Brady took. I could watch that 4th quarter until the end of time. Though disappointed in the Gmen’s performance this year.

I’m not a big Jets fan (if one at all) but I can’t bring myself to root for the Pats.

Insert Special Ed voice here:

Go football! YEAH! WE LOVE FOOTBALL!!! YEAH!

• Aaron S. says:

The Giants won that Super Bowl thanks to a miracle catch. How exactly did they stomp Brady throughout the 4th Quarter?

• Jimmy McNulty says:

The defensive line was completely lights out that entire game. They tired towards the end, but Tuck and Strahan played like a pair of mad men.

• Ivan says:

Especially Tuck.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Tuck’s surprisingly underrated, he’s a great pass rusher and he’s superb against the run. He’s what allows overrated pass rushers like JPP and Osi to be successful. He’s every bit as good as Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware, or any other DL/LB you can name yet he gets seemingly zero talk.

• Ivan says:

The Giants outplayed the Pats in that game especially the Giants D-line destroying the Pats o-line and thus putting major pressure on Brady. That was the key, and Manning playing terrific in that game too.

20. Jimmy McNulty says:

Fuck Woody Johnson, Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, and that overrated piece of shit Mark Sanchez for making me root for the Patriots.

• Esteban says:

Perfect timing with this comment detective.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Because Sanchez was lights out that drive. He hit a wide open Braylon Edwards and LDT on a flat route. Doesn’t really matter though, looks like the Pats are giving this one away.

• Esteban says:

So if (if) the Jets win, it’s only because the Pats gave it away. Got it.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

They’re playing well, but Brady’s not getting rid of the ball (typically the greats just throw it away rather then taking the sack, look at Drew Brees against the Vikings in last year’s playoffs). The Jets are doing great things with field position, though. Their last score was purely because of pinning the Pats backa and winning the field position battle.

• Jimmy McNulty says:

Yeah, even though that’s not what I said and you’re just an oversensitive homer…I take that back. If the Jets win it will be because the Patriots totally gave this one away.

21. Jimmy McNulty says:

LT. There’s another asshole that I hate.

22. Ivan says:

See Jets, when you don’t play conservative good things happen, not to mention the Pats D is kinda shitty.

23. Esteban says:

C’mon Braylon.

24. Ivan says:

Jets have to score a TD here, not a FG, and TD to really put a solid cusion for the 2nd half.

25. Esteban says:

Gotta say, it seems the Pats are playing a little scared. Or at least without the confidence they usually show.

26. Jimmy McNulty says:

Damn. Braylon’s pretty good. They got him for a second round pick? Pretty good trade, IMO.

27. Ivan says:

Huge TD there.

28. Esteban says:

HUGE first half. I guess the Jets do belong in the same universe as the Pats eh?

29. Esteban says:

Yankees close to trading Gardner to Angels for Ervin Santana, says Mark Saxon of ESPN LA

30. Esteban says:

Shannon Sharpe has some sartorial style haha.

31. Teh Comp Pick says:

Loving what the Jets are doing….Still woulda rather had Fuentes over Feliciano. Fuentes about to get locked up by Oak, the Mausoleum should help him.

• Mattchu12 says:

I would have preferred Fuentes too, he is lethal against lefties. But I would have used him only against lefties, and that’s probably why he didn’t come to the Bronx.

32. Esteban says:

Another terrible throw by Sanchez on that touchdown…

33. Joe West's Music Career says:

I haven’t watched the jets much this season. From watching this game, my impression is they’d have an unbelievable team if they had a quarterback. Is that about right?

34. rek4gehrig says:

Brady’s got the Papelbon blown save look on his face :-)

35. Leo says:

Did anyone catch Edward’s backflip at the end of the game? It was hilarious.

36. Pat D says:

So both conference title games will be #6 at #2.

Hooray for the NFL’s policy of enforced mediocrity parity!

37. bexarama says:

I hate the Jets but goddamn it’s so nice to see UNBEATABLE!!!!! New England lose.

38. Poopy Pants says:

Silver lining: The people of New England are hurting. hehe.