Jan

Open Thread: Morgan Ensberg

(AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)

Long before the days of the Mark Teixeira, the Yankees used a number of stopgap first baseman during the end of the Jason Giambi era. There was Doug Mientkiewicz, Josh Phelps, Andy Phillips, and even Morgan Ensberg. Ensberg had some huge years in Houston (.391 wOBA in 2003, .395 wOBA and a fourth place finish in the MVP voting in 2005), but he signed with the Yanks three years ago today after an ugly 2007 season (.318 wOBA) with the ‘Stros and Padres. He was supposed to be a righty hitting option of the bench that could fill-in at the infield corners, but that never materialized. Ensberg had just a .228 wOBA in 80 plate appearances for New York before being designated for assignment on June 1st. He finished out the year in Cleveland’s minor league system, and was out of baseball for good by Spring Training of the following season. Ensberg is now on Twitter and runs a fantastic blog, but like many before him and what will surely be many after him, his Yankees career was completely forgettable.

Anywho, here is the night’s open thread. The Nets are the only local team in action tonight, so you’re on your own when it comes to entertainment. You all know what to do, so go bananas.

Categories : Open Thread

1. bexarama says:

Player A is Frenchy. Who’s Player B?

(Don’t look in the comments section if you are gonna guess.)

2. Bryan L says:

Me and Morgy got the same birthday. I feel special.

Ok, not really that special…

3. squishy jello person says:

Bloody snow.

4. Pat D says:

Stupid snow and ice is going to ruin my birthday tomorrow.

Grumble, grumble, grumble…

5. MikeD says:

So any feelings on Neyer leaving ESPN to parts unknown?

I haven’t been as big of a fan the last couple of years since they had him create the SweetSpot section since I don’t think it really maximized his skills, plus too many jerks would post, but I will miss him. He and Law are really the main reasons I’d circle back there. He’s done probably as much as any writer to popularize sabermetrics over the years, first with his work with Bill James, and then to a wider audience at ESPN.

Any guesses on where he’s going?

• Accent Shallow says:

I’ll miss him.

My inside information is that it’s not Baseball Prospectus.

• MikeD says:

The timing of Goldman taking over as Editor in Chief, and his promise for high-profile writers had me wondering if Neyer might be one of them, but the more I thought about it, I doubt BP could afford him. (Not that I have any knowledge of their finances.)

I’m sure we’ll know soon enough where he’s going.

6. LET SBGL BACK ON BRACKMAN'S DEBUT says:

actually, the nets are sticking it to carmelo right now

7. Monteroisdinero says:

KLong working with Jeter on a new approach at the plate. No more front foot toe tap timing mechanism for the Captain. Hopefully all will be fixed and we can begin the march to 4000 hits and a new contract in ’14.

/dreamin’

8. Brian says:

steroids

9. Miked says:

Anywho??? What are you a sassy woman from the nursing home?

10. Avi says:

Yankees signed Freddy Garcia

11. TopChuckie says:

I missed it, what was the big Yankee related story Ensberg was gonna drop Saturday?