Jan

Vernon Wells headed to LAnaheim

Update (9:37pm): The Angels aren’t getting any cash in the deal, they’re talking on the full $86M. Unreal.

Update (7:16pm): Ken Rosenthal says it’s Wells for Napoli and former Yankee Juan Rivera. Toronto is paying part of Vernon’s salary, but it’s unclear how much.

Via MLBTR, the Blue Jays have traded Vernon Wells to the Angels for Mike Napoli. This is not a joke. The Angels really took Wells and the four years and $86M left on his deal for Napoli, who’s still in his arbitration years and has out wOBA‘d Wells .361 to .342 over the last three years. I don’t know what the hell the HaLOLos are doing, but it’s tough not to love the job Alex Anthopoulos has done so far in Toronto.

Given the Angels current state of apparent dismay, I think an Alex Rodriguez for Jered Weaver and Dan Haren offer is in order.

Categories : Asides

1. bexarama says:

The Angels are real dumb

2. radnom says:

The Blue Jays have got to be eating some money that just hasn’t come to light yet. I refuse to believe the Angels are just absorbing that whole contract while still giving up Napoli. Refuse.

3. Hahahahahahaha. -breathes- Hahahahahahahahaha.

4. Wow. That’s some trade for Anthopolous.

5. Oh noes, liek they are totz blocking Trout nao! Yankeez can haz Trout?

Seriously, LOLWTFANGELS?

6. squishy jello person says:

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

7. BavarianYankee says:

OMG, fantastic trade for Toronto. Anthopoulos has done a superb job since he took over.

Memo to myself: Toronto knows how to get rid of bad contracts.

8. This deal is bananas. I guess the Halos decided to give up on the offseason after Beltre, Werth and Crawford decided they didn’t want to play for free.

9. Via @sabometrics: “We have Wells at .271/.327/.458 next year. Napoli .254/.341/.487.”

10. radnom says:

For those of you still bitter at Halo’s Heaven from the ’09 ALCS I recommend checking out their thread on the trade.
    It looks like the original speculation was that Napoli was being traded to the Rays for an unknown return. Jennings name is all over the place, Longoria even makes an appearance as part of a mega-deal. As more and more information trickles in the mood turns from hopeful, to worried, to downright pissed. hahaha

11. This is like when a total newbie enters a long-running fantasy league and someone takes advantage of his naivete. There has to be more to this story than what we know so far, there just has to be.

• radnom says:

Agreed. I think it will come out shortly that the Blue Jays are eating a significant chunk of that contract.

• Ellis says:

Exactly what I thought.

In my first year of fantasy, I traded Bobby Abreu for Luke Prokopec.

12. Angels lose out on Crawford and Beltre, and sign Downs instead of Soriano, and still lose a first round pick.

They dump Napoli, who still is a decent hitter, for Wells in an outfield that already contains Hunter, Abreu and Rivera?

13. Big Juan says:

This is rather bizarre.

14. BavarianYankee says:

Update: Juan Rivera may be part of the deal! WTF are the Halos doing!?

15. Reggie C. says:

I think the same MLBTR link mentions that the Angels might be trying to move Juan Rivera, who’s a year away from hitting free agency. A team like the Rays or Nationals should be all over that if that rumor is true.

The Angels now have two monster commitments tied to OFs both on the very wrong side of 30. Not. Good.

16. CS Yankee says:

Is this why the Angels have the best manager of all time (to make up for beyond boneheaded front office)?

/msm’d

• Preston says:

This trade has a lot to do with their manager’s insistance on playing Jeff Mathis over Napoli at catcher. So I wouldn’t put all the blame on the GM (although their is obviously plenty of blame to go around).

17. Zack says:

I’ll wait until I see how much money is sending before I laugh at the trade.

18. mbonzo says:

Another old outfielder for the Angels. Thats Angels baseball for you.

19. Sheepmeister says:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…(10 more minutes)…HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Since the angels rank #3 on most hated teams behind red sox and phllies, I love this.

20. Mike HC says:

The only logical explanation is that the Angels basically consider Napoli worthless, and were willing to take on a big contract. Still a head scratcher why they would want Wells at that price at all though? I think he could still be a good player, but that salary is ridiculous in the current market.

• Mike HC says:

It is maybe like a “frustration signing.” The Angels seem unwilling to hand out the monster deals to the very best players, and always seem like they are frustrated about this fact. So this is a like a, we have no other way to add hitting to team, kind of trade. I don’t know. It seems like such an odd deal.

• whozat says:

Scioscia hates him, because he’s not a slappy contact hitter that plays defense. He takes walks, hits for power, and is pretty much just good enough at catcher that he can play there.

21. I think Sandy found a guy who could take on Castillo’s and Ollie’s contracts!

Where’s TJSC68 been? He probably would have some hilarious joke about this trade.

• Mike HC says:

The appropriate, corresponding movie scene would have been in the process of being transcribed on his computer.

• whozat says:

“And you ate the whole… wheel of cheese? How’d you do that? Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing.”

(TSJC had a baby, hence his disappearance)

22. Esteban says:

Why does Rosenthal’s article on the trade say that V. Wells re-established himself as one the game’s premier CFers?

23. We still have to see what the actual deal looks like, but man… If I rooted for a team that traded Napoli for Wells, I’d be beside myself. Have we seen a trade worse than this one? Seriously… As annoying as we’ve found them, I feel bad for Angels fans right now. Just imagine… (shudders)

24. UncleArgyle says:

“If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can trade anyone”

25. mbonzo says:

Looks like its Napoli and Rivera. Jays must be paying basically all of Well’s salary.

26. GHOST says:

This has nothing to do with Rivera, Napoli, or wells…This has EVERYTHING to do with the Angels love for the super incredible Jeff Mathis…….No seriously, the Angels love Jeff Mathis for some bizarre reason. They are the Dolan/Thomas relationship of baseball.

27. Xstar7 says:

The Angels are going down the toilet.

28. Preston says:

19 million per for a premiere player in his prime like Carl Crawford was to rich for the Halo’s. But 20 million plus for a declining older player like Wells that requires you to give up solid big league talent is Ok. Sounds like a sound way to run a baseball team. Even if the Jays eat a big chunk of this your giving up comprable money and big league talent for a lesser player.

29. bexarama says:

RT @ShiDavidi: Just heard Angels may not be getting any money from Jays in Wells deal.

Wait, that means the Angels are paying all of it, right?

WHAT????????

• aRX says:

My brain just BSoD’d. This is a stupid deal, but the Jays HAVE TO BE eating some of that salary. If not, the only question is whether the blackmail videos are of prostitutes, or drug use…

30. KyleLitke says:

Remember earlier today when, in response to a Pujols question, River Ave. said that nobody would ever take Teixeira’s contract?

I agreed then. Suddenly I’m not so sure…

• MikeD says:

That was my thought. I figured we’d have to pay about a third of Teix’s contract to move him (not that I was advocating that at all), yet looking at this deal, we might not have to pay any of it. I’d take Teix over Wells any day at this stage.

31. Wil Nieves #1 Fan says:

This makes me very happy. I hate the Angels so much.

32. Jess says:

Deals like this are why Met fans don’t buy for a second that Perez and Castillo can’t be moved. Even the suck that is Jason Bay.

33. Is there something Vernon Wells does better than Johnny Damon? WTF Angels…

34. Mike says:

Dumb. They really should’ve just tried to go all out for Crawford.