Jan

Wild Card Weekend Open Thread

This weekend is the first round of the NFL playoffs, so use this thread to talk about the games. The Saints and Seahawks kick off at 4:30pm ET (NBC) this afternoon, then later tonight we’ve got the Jets and Colts. Sunday brings the Ravens and the Chiefs (1pm ET, CBS) and the Packers at the Eagles (4:30pm ET, FOX). Enjoy.

1. bonestock94 says:

lol seahawks

2. AJ says:

Anyone else not like football?

3. AndrewYF says:

I don’t know if I should feel bad for rooting against the Jets, because Peyton Manning was the person who first made me care about football. That said, even if the Colts lose at least the Jets win. So, best of both worlds, really.

4. GBOOF says:

i hope so badly the jets can get their act together today and win so that we can hear rex ryan all week talk about beating NE(even tho he already has tried taking shots at brady this week). Then his team can come into foxboro and get torn up.

5. randym77 says:

Interesting analysis by Doug Gray. He took John Sickels’ prospect ratings and assigned a dollar value to each team’s farm system. Nice graph here.

The Yankees have one of the best farm systems in MLB, roughly evenly divided between pitchers and position players.

6. GBOOF says:

i root for the team where i live and i live in NE, my bad if you dont approve.

• bonestock94 says:

No worries, I didn’t realize it would be serious business.

• Esteban says:

I never thought there would be so many Yankees fans who are fans if.other new england teams, but this site has a bunch.

• bexarama says:

Why are you a Yankee fan then? (I’m assuming you are since you’re here, maybe you’re a Red Sox fan who just… came to a Yankee site to talk football???). Not trying to be mean/confrontational/snarky, just wondering.

• pete says:

eh it happens. I’ve lived right outside Boston my whole life, and I’ve been a die-hard yankee fan that whole time. My dad’s a Sox fan, my mom is an unpracticing yankees fan, my brother’s a sox fan, and I’m a Patriots fan, and I don’t care about basketball or hockey, but were I to root for a team in either sport, it’d be the Celtics/Bruins.

When I first started paying attention to baseball, the Yankees had Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, El Duque, Clemens, and so on and so forth. The Sox had, like, Brian Daubach. Ew.

I’ll admit to having always liked Pedro and Manny when they were on the Sox, and Ortiz is pretty affable, too. But I’ve always been a pretty hardcore yankees fan.

7. dalelama says:

Here is a hypothetical question: If you were guaranteed the Yankees would win the World Series this year how many years would you be willing to go without winning another? For me it would be five years.

• bexarama says:

Winning one World Series every five years sounds fine to me.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Me? I’m greedy.

I want another run like 1949-1964, where the Yanks won 14 of 16 pennants and 9 World Series.

(Okay. One WS in every 5 years is reasonable.)

• pete says:

zero. Once a world series is over all I care about is the next one. I can’t really revel. To me the fun of following baseball is the way teams have to foster their own sustainability, how they have to be responsible and constantly have an eye on the long-term.

8. icebird753 says:

Idk why Mike, but whenever I hear you talking, I think of you as a portly, brash Yankees fan. No idea why

9. UWS says:

Geaux Saints (and Jets).

10. YankeeDave says:

Anyone else hoping the Eagles will get clobbered by Green Bay tomorrow? As a Yankee fan living in PA, I am still hearing about the Giants’ epic collapse. I hope the score is something like 48-13 Green Bay, anyone agree?

11. Xstar7 says:

The Seahawks are actually beating the Saints 24-20 at halftime. But I sense an epic 2nd half collapse.

12. southeryankeefan says:

Thank you to every one who gave me advice on how to beg forgiveness in last weeks open thread. She didnt pardon me turned out to be a good thing even how much it hurt