Feb

Open Thread: February 18th Camp Notes

Great, now he's fat AND a sidearmer? (AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

News of the day…

• Both Joba Chamberlain and Ivan Nova did some early bullpen work, getting individual attention from Larry Rothschild. Joba, like Phil Hughes, is already throwing breaking balls. Hughes did some bullpen work today as well. (Chad Jennings)
  • Freddy Garcia says he can survive at 88-89 mph, but there are days when it falls to 83-84. Yikes. “That’s why I’m here [to win a rotation spot,” said Sweaty Freddy. “If you don’t think that way, don’t be here … I don’t worry about anybody else. I have to worry about myself. If I don’t worry about myself, I’m f—-d.” Ed Price points out that Garcia is a notoriously poor Spring Training pitcher. (Marc Carig & Mark Feinsand)
  • Bartolo Colon came to camp at 267 lbs. and his goal is to lose 25 of them. “The problem’s not the weight, it’s the arm,” he said. “I feel really good right now the way I am, but I feel like I need to go down with my weight a little bit more.” The Yankees have Colon on a special cardio program, but apparently he was throwing 94 mph in winter ball. (Carig, Carig, Jennings & Bryan Hoch)
  • Rafael Soriano will get his first bullpen session in sometime next week, and he’s not expected to need many game appearances to get ready for the season. Oh, and Hector Noesi is expected to be in camp by Sunday following his visit issues. (Jennings)
  • The Yankees assigned Soriano number 29 and Frankie Cervelli number 17, so Frankie didn’t get anything out of the switch. Sucks for him. (Hoch)
  • Pedro Feliciano is rocking Javy Vazquez‘s old number (31), and his friends back home in Puerto Rico told him to “get rid of the voodoo.” Does that make sense? That seems like a weird thing to say. (Hoch)
  • Position players are due to report and take physicals tomorrow. The first full squad workout of the season will take place on Sunday. (Jennings)

Here’s the nightly open thread. The Rangers are playing the Islanders Devils, and the entire NBA is off for the All-Star break. Feel free to talk about whatever your heart desire. Enjoy.

1. Steve H says:

Joba looks more linebacker than offensive lineman, right? Maybe he wasn’t on the right training routine, but I don’t think he just sat back and ate cheesy poofs all winter.

2. Bryan L says:

Joba’s gotta cut the hair.

3. 28 this year says:

94 mph? Colon’s got command, he might actually have something left in the tank.

• MannyGee says:

this won’t last long at 267 lbs, he will blow his back out by May.

Meanwhile, 94 on the gun from Colon means Freddy Garcia is not gettting a free ride to the Bronx, which is good

4. bakekrukow412 says:

Found this, and couldn’t help but post it. Yes, it’s long.
    Queens, NY. (AP) – A seven-year old boy was at the center of a courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over whom should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When
    the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the New York
    Mets, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

5. Kiersten says:

College baseball season starting tonight!

Too bad it’s not on TV. Now that I’m no longer in Miami this isn’t nearly as exciting as it used to be.

6. squishy jello person says:

The Rangers are playing the Devils, not the Islanders.

7. Tony S says:

Go Devils!!!

8. squishy jello person says:

Over/under time!

Mets wins: 72
    Orioles wins: 75
    Jesus Montero Home Runs: 15
    Phillies wins: 95
    Temperature in Yankee Stadium on March 31st: 52
    Inches of snow between now and then: 10

9. T-Dubs says:

Here’s a one-camera stream of the UConn/Purdue baseball game if anyone’s interested.

Should be interesting.

10. Over/Under:

30 HR for A-Rod
    200 IP for Hughes
    5 SV for Soriano
    .315 AVG for Cano

11. Esteban says:

No ones watching the celebrity all star game? Apart from the retired NBA players (and I guess the WNBA players), watching this shows you how bad normal people are at sports. I will say the Biebs has a decent crossover, and Romeo (former Lil’ Romeo), Arne Duncan (yes, the Secretary of Education), and Common are solid players. Oh and Scottie Pippen could probably still play.

12. Joba’s facial expression is like the one from the dude on “Pawn Stars.”

13. Jimmy McNulty says:

I know you guys hate the Cowboys, but this is the best take I’ve seen about the lockout yet.

14. The mantra for the 2011 Yankees is currently “Just fucking win”. Because we’re the Yankees and we obviously need a secondary story to run. So the secondary mantra for the 2011 Yankees is “We Believe in Number 13″. A-Rod was actually relatively quiet last season, his only moment of controversy being the famous Braden incident. His stats also fell off a bit. Sure he hit 30 bombs for the thirteenth straight year, but he also experienced career-lows in everything that matters.

It’s an odd-numbered year, so I bet we can expect a huge season from Alex. Which is why, “We Believe in Number 13″!

15. Tom Zig says:

Look at how fat Joba is, I mean jeez his stomach is even pointy!

16. Xstar7 says:

The Adam Sandler CenterStage is getting a little sketchy.