Open Thread: February 22nd Camp NotesBy
The latest from Tampa…
- Derek Jeter responded to Hank Steinbrenner’s comments just as you’d expect he would. “I’m not upset. It doesn’t bother me,” said the Cap’n. “Owners can say what they want. They can express their opinions. I’m not upset.” Jeter joked that he isn’t moving (houses, not positions), and pointed out that construction on his mansion started long before the 2010 season. As for the lack of hunger thing … he said he didn’t see it. (Marc Carig, Dom Amore, Ben Shpigel, Carig, Carig & Carig)
- Mark Prior threw an early morning batting practice session with Bradley Suttle hitting from both sides of the plate. Joe Girardi, Larry Rothschild, Mike Harkey, and pro scouting director Billy Eppler all watched. Eppler said Prior, who threw fastballs, curveballs, and splitters, looked good, and reiterated that the former Cub is viewed strictly as a reliever. (Carig, Carig & Carig)
- Freddy Garcia, Luis Ayala, Buddy Carlyle, Ryan Pope, Bartolo Colon, Sergio Mitre, Robert Fish, and Hector Noesi all threw live BP as well. Colon appeared to have some zip on his heater, though Russell Martin homered off him. Girardi said Garcia looked “pretty good … threw strikes, got a lot of ground balls.” Despite that, Eduardo Nunez took him deep. (Bryan Hoch, Erik Boland, Amore & Shpigel)
- CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, and Rafael Soriano all threw bullpens this morning. Phil Hughes is scheduled to face hitters tomorrow. Boone Logan also did some throwing, but no little girls got hurt today. (Chad Jennings & Carig)
- The position players went through pop-up drills. Riveting stuff. (Hoch)
- In case you missed it, Bartolo Colon will start the Grapefruit Opener.
This is the open thread for the night. The three hockey locals are in action, but neither of the basketballers. Talk about whatever, go nuts.