Open Thread: February 26th Camp NotesBy
- The Yankees fell to the Phillies this afternoon by the score of 5-4. Eric Wordekemper allowed the game-tying and go-ahead runs in the the eighth inning on the bloop single that probably should have been caught by Colin Curtis in left. Jorge Vazquez hit a two-run homer over the batter’s eye in dead center, Alex Rodriguez hit two balls right on the screws, and Mark Teixeira tripled. Bartolo Colon was meh at best, hitting 93 a few times and saying afterwards that he wants to work on his two-seamer to lefties. Here’s the box score. (Marc Carig)
- Tex had a bruise on the big toe of his right foot after Cole Hamels hit him with some kind of offspeed pitch in the first inning. It’s the same toe he broke last year when Vin Mazzaro got him with a pitch. Other than that, no one got hurt. (Carig & Carig)
- Before the game, the Yankees had their annual meeting with the player’s association. Turns out that former Yanks Tony Clark and Mike Myers work for the union. (Sam Borden)
- Andrew Brackman said his hip felt just fine, which is weird because yesterday we heard it was the groin that was giving him trouble. Maybe he just felt like giving up update on an irrelevant part of his body. (Carig)
- None of the regular infielders will play tomorrow, and neither will Andruw Jones, Russell Martin, or Frankie Cervelli. Ivan Nova, Sergio Mitre, Boone Logan, and Dellin Betances are scheduled to pitch. (Ben Shpigel & Bryan Hoch)
Here’s the open thread for the night. The Islanders and Nets are the only local teams in action, plus the Rockies and Diamondbacks will be on MLB Network starting at 11pm ET. Until then, MLBN is showing some college baseball. Talk about whatever, go nuts.