Feb

Open Thread: February 26th Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

Today’s news…

• The Yankees fell to the Phillies this afternoon by the score of 5-4. Eric Wordekemper allowed the game-tying and go-ahead runs in the the eighth inning on the bloop single that probably should have been caught by Colin Curtis in left. Jorge Vazquez hit a two-run homer over the batter’s eye in dead center, Alex Rodriguez hit two balls right on the screws, and Mark Teixeira tripled. Bartolo Colon was meh at best, hitting 93 a few times and saying afterwards that he wants to work on his two-seamer to lefties. Here’s the box score. (Marc Carig)
  • Tex had a bruise on the big toe of his right foot after Cole Hamels hit him with some kind of offspeed pitch in the first inning. It’s the same toe he broke last year when Vin Mazzaro got him with a pitch. Other than that, no one got hurt. (Carig & Carig)
  • Before the game, the Yankees had their annual meeting with the player’s association. Turns out that former Yanks Tony Clark and Mike Myers work for the union. (Sam Borden)
  • Andrew Brackman said his hip felt just fine, which is weird because yesterday we heard it was the groin that was giving him trouble. Maybe he just felt like giving up update on an irrelevant part of his body. (Carig)
  • None of the regular infielders will play tomorrow, and neither will Andruw Jones, Russell Martin, or Frankie Cervelli. Ivan Nova, Sergio Mitre, Boone Logan, and Dellin Betances are scheduled to pitch. (Ben Shpigel & Bryan Hoch)

Here’s the open thread for the night. The Islanders and Nets are the only local teams in action, plus the Rockies and Diamondbacks will be on MLB Network starting at 11pm ET. Until then, MLBN is showing some college baseball. Talk about whatever, go nuts.

1. felixbanuelos says:

I’m excited to finally watch Dellin. And even though phelps disappointed, noesi looked really sharp

2. NJ_Andy says:

No Martin, no Cervelli….Jesus is coming.

3. mbonzo says:

What I learned today.

Bartolo impressed me with his heat, but his command needs some serious work. He did face the best of the hitters though, but they did hit the ball pretty well off him, though it’ll only go down as 1 run, 2 hits. I did feel like towards the end of the 2nd innings he got himself together and made some nice pitches for groundballs. Hopefully that wasn’t a fluke, that was just him settling in. I was kinda expecting him to implode like Joe mentioned.

Joba looked seriously filthy. There wasn’t one bad pitch I saw from him and he was throwing 94 already. It pissed me off seeing him pitch so well after colon and knowing he’ll probably be a 6th or 7th inning guy, but oh well.

Robertson’s fast ball was as deceptive as ever.

Phelps’ speed wasn’t there, he was throwing low 90′s while he was sitting mid last year. Thats about right for the first outting of the season though. I did see some beautiful curve balls, but he really needs to get a hang of his slider and changeup because they looked very hittable.

Noesi has insane control for a prospect.

As for the position players, I liked Cano’s at bats, he kept the same patience that helped him hit so well last year.

Arod hit the ball hard, but what made me even happier was that he was running hard. He seemed to open his hips up the last few years after the surgery, but today he looked like a different guy running. I forgot how athletic he used to look.

Cervelli also looks like he’s more athletic. He talked about how hard he’s been working with Cano, and then preceeded to double in a run off a beautiful first pitch almost in the dirt. He hit the ball pretty hard both at bats; he might be Cervelli but I’m allowed to be impressed with him sometimes.

You can’t really have anything bad to say about spring training, its too early in the season to be negative.

4. Regarding Brackman, the hip and groin are somewhat connected, and the pain can spread all the way down to the knees, as it’s all in the same area. When Brackman says his hips are doing just fine, he is probably referring to the hip joint, which can cause groin trouble.

5. Angryankee says:

I was at the game and thought the defense was “first game of spring training” sloppy. Colon seriously dropped off in his second inning of work and struggled to find the strike zone. I too thought Joba was the bright spot for the Yanks. Props to Jorge Vazquez for crushing the ball all day. The pregame was a nice tribute to St. George and we had a fly over by 2 navy F-18s. At a spring training game! Attendance was 11k plus… So maybe the Rays have a legitimate gripe about the St Pete location… Off to Clearwater for tomorrow’s contest!

• Pasqua says:

Actually, Colon amped it up in the second inning, according to the YES gun. After the triple, he started hitting 93 pretty consistently. Other than that, nothing exciting to report. He looked like a guy just hoping the ball didn’t sail over the plate.

6. Arod looked a couple years younger today physically, it was nice to see.

7. jon says:

They lost their first spring training game? Just karma. The jewel of spring training is that intra-squad game before the practice games against other teams.

Intra-squad — all Yankees all the time; a special treat to rabid fans.

Joe T. got it, Joe G. not so much.

8. Cuso says:

For what it’s worth: during the YES telecast, it was reported that Tex got a bruise on his big toe on the same FOOT in which he broke the little toe. They said same foot, different toe.

9. jon says:

To Mike – yes, I am complaining about that lost jewel.

I don’t like spring training games – fake stuff (but it still fills the stands).

But the intra-squad game is special. Who was prepared to play (like Andy Phillips, who had the sweetest swing I’ve ever seen). I know, part of the charm of the I-S game is the freedom to roam the somewhat empty stands. But that’s what makes for a lifelong fan.

10. tampaRob says:

I don’t remember much of the first couple inning, was transfixed on Cameron Diaz.. got some good pics of her.hope she’s at every game this spring

11. tampaRob says:

Also.how is dellin betances first name pronounced? Is it dylan or dellin pronounciation wise?

12. ShuutoHeat says:

Hamels hit Teix on the very same foot that was injured last year?

SCREW YOU HAMELS, YOU POS. SCREW YOU!

13. Ellis says:

So can we expect Montero in tomorrow’s game?

14. jon says:

“So ST games are fake, but a team playing against itself is… very meaningful?”

Hey Sparky, it’s all TRAINING. I’d rather see all Yankees, (as well as Joe T, Yogi, and Reggie sitting on the field), rather than some fake competition that means nothing.

But rubes who pay to see spring training games contribute to the Yankee coffers. I guess that’s a good thing.

15. Midland TX says:

I always suspected Mike Myers harbored lefty tendencies.

16. Midland TX says:

Now that Joe Torre is the new Bob Watson, I am curious to see what he does the next time Beckett plunks Robbie Cano.

Will he punish the Yankees more severely for retaliating, to prove he’s not playing favorites? Will he permit traditional tit-for-tat justice between the lines, within reason? Will he do charity public appearances and delegate discipline to an intern?

Here’s hoping for the second option.

17. http://www.pinstripedbible.com.....-hurrying/

Good read. I always think its best to let a player’s performance dictate when he’s promoted. But the idea that players get ruined by being rushed to the bigs is something that always struck me as unprovable, and simply an attempt to blame the organization for a guy who was most likely never good enough in the first place. Part of getting to the show is having what it takes to come back from failure, and that’s on the player. As the old line goes “the good ones will find their way back (to MLB)”.

• mbonzo says:

Which is exactly why I feel Brackman deserves a shot at the rotation. He’s not a typical pitching prospect, where he’s been working on his pitches for the last few years and has only recently figured things out. Coming out of the draft he had stuff that would get major leaguers out consistently. After coming back from surgery he’s relearned his mechanics, and hopefully learned the logics of pitching. Last year tells me he has. While a guy like Banuelos needs to be developed slowly, if Brackman pitches well in March he deserves to be in the rotation competition as much as anyone.

• As a reliever,sure. But I’m not sure Brackman has all the tools to be a starter just yet. The Yanks want him to learn a change up, probably to deal with lefty MLB hitters. That’s no small issue, look at how much Hughes struggled his first few seasons after blowing away the minors. You need more weapons to get MLB hitters out than you do for minor league hitters. If he has a serviceable change and is throwing strikes, then call him up. But if he needs to work on the pitch, or maybe a slider, then leave him in AAA. That’s what the minors are there for, to work on stuff.

• mbonzo says:

His change up is supposed to be his most improved pitch. Scouts from 2010 were saying that, although the speed differences aren’t drastic (it only sits mid 80′s) the spin matches his fast ball. Reporters have called it above-average. I’m sure he could use a bit more work on it, but if its good enough to get plenty of swings in misses in AA and spring training, I’d rather him develop that pitch with major leagues. We’re under the impression that all development needs to be done in the minor leagues, but if their primary concern is to further develop an above-average change up at the cost of keeping him in AAA a year, I think theres plenty to be learned in the majors as long as he’s effective and above replacement.

• Ed says:

I don’t think that’s true at all. Even without the TJ surgery he would’ve been a project. In his 3 college seasons he pitched 43, 28, and 78 innings. His stuff was filthy, but he had very little control. High K/9 and BB/9 rates. Last year was the first season he’s had a reasonable walk rate, but even then it was much higher in AA than in A.

To me, his career stats scream out great stuff, terrible control. He can use the work in the minors.

18. MonteroSmash says:

I would like to mention that Luis Ayaya looked pretty impressive. he was able to get grounders (including from the first batter that actually destroyed the bat on his hands), hitters were swinging over his sinker all the time and he was consistently throwing 92~94mph with great sink (he averaged at around 90mph in his prime). I wasn’t excited to see his last year’s AAA stat but I was fairly impressed today. I hope, unless he absolutely bombs the rest of the appearances, they stick with him in the camp and see if he has a legitimate chance to stick with the club. He was one of the relievers that I liked to watch when he was with Nats (I live in MD/DC area… get to see them everyday on tv) could be a useful ROOGY?

19. You know that pitcher Jason Grilli? The one who pitched against the Yanks this afternoon? Do you know who his agent (of sorts) is?

Yep. The one and only.

20. Monteroisdinero says:

I liked Noesi-same delivery as Nova-hard to tell them apart.

Tex needs to be a bit lighter on his toes but he did hit a rare triple so we know he is healthy.

Golson had 2 nice ab’s. Solid liner to center and good eye-BB.

Gardy did not swing on his 5 pitch walk-not unexpected.

Joba from the stretch with no one on. Even he has given up on starting.

Jorge Vasquez is a strong man but Jesus is stronger.

21. Monteroisdinero says:

Hard to imagine Andrew Jones being much of a defender anymore-the way he ran today. He is either seriously out of shape or has fallen off a cliff as a 10 time gold glove outfielder.

22. S says:

I was never a Joba to the rotation guy, but I’ll tell you what if he keeps pitching like he did today, I’ll jump on that bandwagon faster than Colon at an all you can eat buffet.

23. Monteroisdinero says:

Joba was great but let’s keep it in context. One inning and he didn’t face the best Philly has. Maybe coming in after a tired Colon made it appear better.

Good for today but…

I will say that he did look bulked up and not heavy to his detriment. Would you trade an improved Joba, Cervelli and a non Jesus/Banuelos/Betances for Liriano?

24. Jimmy McNulty says:

Worried about Brackman.

25. LEOLUCCA RANDISI says:

I liked what I saw from Colon,Joba and Noesi. Colon had some heat on his fast ball if I’m not mistaken he threw a 93 MPH Fast ball. Joba looked really good and that big time hitter vasquez looked like a keeper he kind of reminded me of Kevin youkilis with the bat. all in all a pretty good day for day one, game one of spring training, We still have a LONG way to go…

• mbonzo says:

On Vazquez, I will quote you Mike Axisa quoting future Mike Axisa in the 2007 top 30 prospects, “don’t get overly excited about that latest international signee, remember Jesus Montero?”

• Mike Axisa says:

I’ve been wrong countless times before, and I’ll be wrong countless times in the future.

• mbonzo says:

I’d rather you be wrong and have a Montero like player in the Yankees system. No one thought he’d be what he is when he signed, and for that I think its the perfect quote for when Montero finally gets the call up.

• mbonzo says:

To add to that, I read through the top 30 from 2007 on after you posted the 2011 top 30 and its really interesting seeing you and the commenter’s optimism grow every year.

26. gc says:

So I was at a bar in the Philly area tonight and when the highlights of the game came on and the score was announced, you would have thought they won the freaking World Series. They’re already making their plans for a parade down Broad Street.

• Midland TX says:

Boston Red Sox: 2010/2011 Offseason Champions!
      Philadelphia Phillies: Spring Training Champions!

This wouldn’t have happened if we had signed Lee, Crawford, and Gonzalez. Fire Cashman.

27. Jack says:

I just got back from a midget wrestling show. It was glorious.

28. Meh says:

Let’s declare 2011 as the year we will never, ever use “meh” to describe anything. It is lame and overused, especially here at RAB…especially at RAB!

29. SteveD says:

off topic. i cant believe Hank S was not there for the pre game ceremony. He was that sick?? Please.

30. Monteroisdinero says:

Final thought from game 1 of ST:

Scranton will have a big year (again).

31. LEOLUCCA RANDISI says:

mbonzo-What is your problem with international signings? El duque and Hideki Matsui were international signings, how’d they turn out? And as for Jesus montero he has great potential scouts project him to have Manny Ramirez type power and his lack of defensive skills are greatly exaggerated.