Feb

Red Sox ink Aceves to Major League deal

Via PeteAbe, the Red Sox have signed former Yankee Al Aceves to a guaranteed Major League contract. Buster Olney says he gets $650,000 with incentives, which strikes me as a lot since he’s still in his pre-arbitration years. Jon Heyman says the Mets also offered the right-hander a guaranteed deal, but Aceves wanted to pitch in Boston.

The longman missed basically all of last season with back issues and suffered various setbacks throughout the year. Then, this offseason he broke his clavicle riding his bike and required surgery to repair the damage. Reports in December said he was expected to miss at least some of Spring Training, and it’s unclear if he’ll be able to start the season on time. Olney says he passed his physical though for what that’s worth.

Aceves will always be remembered for his heroic relief work in 2009, when he threw 84 innings with a 3.75 FIP. The back injuries last year are nothing new though as he also had some physical trouble in 2009. The Mexican Gangster was awesome, and I wish him the best against everyone but the Yankees.

Categories : Asides

1. Off the cuff, I’d imagine the physical for a guy rehabbing a broken collarbone and disk problems looks different than the physical Jeter had to go undergo for his next contract. As long as Aceves’ arm and shoulder look good, he “passed” his physical.

• Dream of Electric Sheeps says:

Theo got physical and found out AA more than passed his test. I believe the contract stipulates more physical stimulation through out the course the season. Frankly, I think Theo got himself a deal.

2. icebird753 says:

wow i’m shocked

3. CBean says:

Aw man, I love Ace and it’s going to be rough seeing him in a Red Sox uniform.

4. bexarama says:

It’s a fine move even if you don’t really expect anything from him, which I don’t. Cue PANIC!!!! though.

I hope he fails miserably, of course, but I really liked him.

5. Riddering says:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Aceves was a special guy in what was one of the best Yankee seasons I’ve followed in my life. I’ll miss him.

6. Urban says:

I’m not liking this one. Not because the Red Sox signed one of our players, but we have openings in our starting rotation and Aceves looks like a potential fit if he really is healthy. Not understanding.

• I will help you understand: The Yankees do not believe he is really healthy.

• Mike Axisa says:

Joe and I mention this on the podcast all the time. The Yankees knew him better than anyone and as far as we know, they let him go without much of a fight.

• Urban says:

Yes, I mention the “knowledge” part in my other response. I do wonder, though, if this has more to do with a 40-man roster spot than taking the 650K risk. I don’t know the Sox’ 40-man roster well enough to know if they might have some weaker candidates in the latter spots than the Yankees do, so they figured that losing the 40th man is no big loss, where maybe the Yankees have the opposite reaction. Perhaps the Sox also figured that if Ace comes back, he’d actually help the Yankees, so from their POV, the 650K might be a good investment.

I want to see Ace come back and be a solid pitcher. Unfortunately, now I don’t!

• He hasn’t been a starting pitcher for nearly three years. He isn’t healthy and has chronic back problems. He doesn’t even really deserve a Major League contract. I’m not too torn up over this one.

• Urban says:

I’m not torn up about it either, yet if the Sox believe he’s healthy enought to pitch (and while being a Yankee fan I like to pick on the Sox, yet I do recognize they are a smart organization), then I think it’s natural to wonder why the Yankees don’t think he can pitch, even out of the pen. I’d be quite happy with him there also, but would give him a chance to start, too.

I do realize the Yankees know far more about Ace then we do, or Red Sox do.

I’d still like to have seen him in camp with the Yanks.

• Steve H says:

I’d still like to have seen him in camp with the Yanks.

That could have happened had the Sox not offered him a major league deal. If this were a minor league invite I would wonder why either he chose the Sox over the Yankees, or why the Yankees weren’t interested. If he was going to get a major league deal anywhere, I’m glad it wasn’t with the Yankees.

• Pasqua says:

That logic makes it sound like the Sox are always “right” and the Yanks should be mirroring their thought process. I think it’s quite evident that the Sox make as many mistakes as the Yanks, or any team for that matter.

• Urban says:

If you’re responding to my note, you should probably read it before responding.

• Pasqua says:

I was responding to you, but in re-reading my comment I can see that it looks critical, which was unintended. My overall point is that, maybe, the Sox see exactly what the Yanks see in Aceves and just made a shortsighted decision to sign him (i.e., a mistake). I would hope to see more people (in general) give the Yankees the benefit of the doubt on this one. That’s it.

• AndrewYF says:

You mean the Red Sox who misdiagnosed one of their star players and let him reinjure himself, let one of their franchise players back on the field before his foot was fully healed, fully believed John Smoltz’s shoulder would be a playoff difference-maker, etc etc etc?

I laugh when I think of the Red Sox fans fawning over their team’s health department post-2004. Gives me as much of a chuckle as their ‘historically deep’ drafts every year.

7. RL says:

I wish him the best against everyone but the Yankees.

My sentiments exactly. Good for him. Guess the Yankees were concerned about his past (and present?) health issues and were probably not willing to offer a Major League contract.

8. JGS says:

Major League deal? Have fun with that, Boston.

This is normally where I wish the ex-Yankee good luck, but no, not this time. Sorry, Ace.

9. Love thy neighbor, and thy enemy?

10. I’m laughing they have to kick a man off the 40man for a broken Aceves. I loved the man but the back caught up to him.

11. Monteroisdinero says:

Ah, Al won’t a-save-us.

Jesus will.

12. Steve H says:

I think giving him a major league deal would be worse than giving Colon a major league deal. At least Colon pitched this winter.

13. mike says:

wow i didnt realize they had room to waste on the 40 man roster….i wonder if they are postponing the signing until later in the spring when they can play with the DL.

Lets hope he has the same success that the last Yankee swingman/longman had when he signed with Boston

14. Steve H says:

I’m still waiting for the “oops, it’s not a major league deal”, like the $$ in the Wells trade. It just doesn’t make sense.

15. Reggie C. says:

Actually looking forward to Ace’s return even if he will be in a Sox uni. The Mexican gangster never fulfilled expectations for me but he was a solid contributor and lifted our club unexpectedly. Good luck Aceves.

16. Monteroisdinero says:

Aceves is done. No way he returns to his 1-2 years of effectiveness. His motion/mechanics etc. Just don’t see where we will be burned by this one.

17. theyankeewarrior says:

Can’t like giving a guy like that a ML deal. But I have to be honest, it’s annoying that he is a part of the Sox right now. He could have been a major answer to our problems this year. But the back/handlebars can be deadly.

18. Monteroisdinero says:

Talked to Mariano, signed Aceves. They’re playin’ hardball with us!

19. Mike HC says:

Something about this is annoying. The Sox really needed to pick him up. He should pitch for the Yanks, or in the NL only, ha.

20. Avi says:

Something isn’t right here. If he’s healthy, meaning he’ll pitch before June the Yankees should have signed him. If he’s not healthy why the heck are the Red Sox signing him?

• Pasqua says:

Maybe the Sox f’d up! For a fanbase that hates Boston, there are many of us making it sound like they are infallible.

• Urban says:

I think you’re being overly sensitive. It’s okay to ask questions and not just assume the Sox f’d up. It works both ways.

• Pasqua says:

Absolutely right, although I’m noticing a trend in some of these comments that implies (or outright states) that the Red Sox somehow beat the Yanks to the punch on Aceves, which I think is either a) giving the Sox too much credit, or b) giving the Yanks too little.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

Given how the off season has gone that’s probably why some ppl feel a certain way when it comes to the Yankees.

21. Dream of Electric Sheeps says:

The best starting hand in the game…Theo is a boy wonder and a genius!

22. icebird753 says:

Epstein is a hell of a ninja, he’s so young and smart and is able to find jewels from the scrap heap, since as we all know the Sox could never challenge the Yankees in terms of financial power and payroll.

23. cano is the bro says:

I don’t like this at all. Even if Aceves isn’t healthy…fucking red sox

24. i have always liked aceves a lot, and i truly wish him the best, even in boston.
    i will forever remember his 4-inning save against toronto. anyone else remember that?

• James G. says:

Brilliance. I loved that game. He actually was eligible for the win too, but the scorekeeper gave him the save instead.

25. Nostra-Artist says:

Ouch.

Adios, El Paton.

26. nsalem says:

I wish him great health on and off the field. As a Red Sox I hope
    he gets the crap beat out of him everytime he pitches unless it benefits the Yankees.

27. Kiersten says:

I’m not so much sad that he’s gone (cause I believe if the Yankees let him go, they have a really good reason), I’m upset that he’s with Boston wahhhhhh.

28. The Real JobaWockeeZ says:

Boston is going this just to spite the Yankees. Meh.

29. Preston says:

Theo asked ownership to lend him $650,000 to really piss Yankee fans off by picking up a fan favorite. I’m getting sick of that smug little boy wonder.

30. bonestock94 says:

Thats dissapointing

31. Avi says:

I’m just surprised it’s not a minor league deal that becomes a major league deal after opening day so they save on luxury tax.

32. Matt :: Sec110 says:

They actually signed him to play soccer.

33. parmesan says:

This sucks. Circa ’09 quality Aceves is an upgrade to the competition of what’s currently in the back end of the Yanks roto. Maybe it was a long-shot for him to return to that form, but obviously the Red Sox believe he’s healthy enough to make an impact. Seems like the gamble should have been worth it.

I have trouble giving a lot of credence to “The Yankees knew him better than anyone”. While this is true in a basic sense, I’m sure the Red Sox have equally capable doctor’s pouring over the dude’s medicals and making legit judgement calls on what Ace can do based on his current health and injury history.

Whatever, just another annoying little happenstance in what’s been a mostly disappointing off-season.

34. The Captain says:

Definitely sucks to lose Ace.

I understand why the Yanks didn’t offer him a Major League deal based on his current health, but it would have been nice to have him stashed in Triple-A as an insurance policy.

35. MannyGee says:

2011 is obviously the year to be a relief pitcher, huh?

$35M to 8th inning guys, LOOGYs getting multi-year deals, and crippled pitchers getting guaranteed contracts…

and Joba remains on the shit list… straaaaaaaaaange

• MannyGee says:

also:

4:45pm: The Red Sox see Aceves as a starter, rather than a reliever, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com. Speier notes that the deal is a split contract that would pay Aceves $200K in the minors.

Soooo… They will be looking to make him a rotation piece (where they have 6 starters, 7 potentially with Dourembert).

Anyone want to tell me Theo DIDN’T do this to be a dick??? Yeah we got 7 starters, you have like 3, but we’ll got throw good money after bad at Ace, b/c he could start games too!!!”

36. Al says:

Cashman is starting to annoy me. Wasn’t Aceves a better option than Colon & Garcia ?

• Zack says:

He’s annoying you by not re-signing the guy who pitched 10 IP last year?

• whozat says:

In 2009, absolutely. In 2011, it’s entirely possible he’ll never string together enough healthy games to make it back to a major league mound. The Yanks know more about his back than anyone else.

• Sayid J. says:

I’d be surprised if Aceves outproduces Garcia next year. I could see Aceves being more valuable than Colon, but Garcia is a legitimate back end guy, which I don’t believe Aceves is.

• DSFC says:

Really? Because of one not-horrible, merely bad season at age 35, after three terrible/injury riddled years?

I’d be shocked if Garcia lasts a full season, and I’ll be floored if Colon lasts a full training camp.

37. DSFC says:

This one bugs me. I’d be lying if I said otherwise. Yes, I understand that it’s a major league deal versus lardass Colon’s minor league deal – you cannot convince me that Colon, Garcia, or the mindnumbingly awful Girardi mascot Mitre(and I like Joey G – just don’t get why he’s such a fan of him).

Yes, a lot of this is just anger that the Yankees are reduced to dumpster diving for the likes of the previously named pieces of garbage. Fandom isn’t always a rational thing, and it would burn my ass to see Aceves pitch well for those scumbucketsm

38. NJYankeeFan says:

I’m surprised the Yankees let $650K keep them from bringing back a relatively young pitcher with ability. If he comes back and is effective, this is a major screw up. I mean they flushed more money than that last year on Randy Winn and Chan Ho Park.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

I guess we’ll just have to trust their judgment. That’s what everyone says right

• NJYankeeFan says:

For a team that pissed away $40 million on Igawa, $650K seems like a small investment. If I were Cashman I’d have at least waited to see how he came back from the clavicle fracture first.

39. mike says:

well this freakin sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

40. mike says:

we couldn’t put together $650K for a deal? Not only does this suck, it sucks even more than he’s on the Red Sox.

Realistically he wouldn’t of been ready til May but still we could have used him

41. dkidd says:

gangster’s winning percentage while with the yanks: .933

we’ll miss you ace!

42. AJ says:

What’s with this wishing him well? He’s wearing a division rival’s uniform, and Boston of all teams. I’m grateful for 2009 and leave it at that.

43. MannyGee says:

is this in the ilk of “Nick Swisher’s ERA with the Yankees”?

44. tim randle says:

Nooo!

but i hope his back does well and he ends up closing cause Papelbon sucks so badly.

Good luck, just not against us.

45. BronxByte says:

This proves what’s been known all along. Boston’s pitching depth is not there. They will need good health all year from their 1-5 starting rotation because there’s no help coming from their farm system if injuries occur.
    They have to take risks to fortify the staff and nobody to use as trading chips at the July 31 trading deadline.