Mar

Open Thread: Injury Updates

Kevin Millwood made it to Tampa. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

All of the roster and transactions news was posted this afternoon, but Chad Jennings offered up some injury updates as well. Let’s recap it here…

• Tonight’s game was canceled because it’s pouring in Tampa, so Curtis Granderson was unable to do his scheduled work this afternoon. “Very close to it, if not on it,” said the center fielder, referring to being ready for Opening Day. Grandy wants to play in a game before Opening Day, but the final game of the Grapefruit League schedule will be played tomorrow afternoon. I guess the good news is that he’s not far off from returning. (Update: John Flaherty says Grandy took batting practice inside and could play in a minor league game tomorrow, weather permitting.)
  • Once healthy, Pedro Feliciano says he’ll only need “a couple of bullpens” to get himself into game shape.
  • Chris Dickerson‘s hamstring injury is “manageable” and doesn’t seem to be much of an issue.
  • Frankie Cervelli will be free of his protective walking boot for good tomorrow.

Anyway, that’s it. No game tonight like I said, so you’re going to have to dig around for something else to watch. The only local team in action is the Knicks, who’ve managed to lose nine of their last ten games. Same ol’ Knicks even with Carmelo, eh? You all know what to do, so have at it.

Categories : Injuries, Open Thread

1. bakekrukow412 says:

No Montero :/

2. Undertaker's DongKey says:

My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,

3. cano is the bro says:

why does Evan Longoria own an AK-47????

4. Craig says:

So does anyone have an idea as to what torment Cliff Lee will face when the Phillies come back to the Bronx in either a WS or Interleague?

5. Pak says:

Fantasy talk:
    I had my draft last night with school friends, 12 teams, but many many spots.

I had 8th pick

RP: Jonathon Papelbon
    RP: Joe Nathan
    P: Leo Nunez
    P: Brian Fuentes
    P: Kerry Wood
    Bench: A.J. Burnett, Mike Pelfrey, Jake Westbrook

I know, a lot of spots but whatever. I get to rotate guys in everyday so it’s good.

What do you guys think about my team? 1st place gets around $200

6. Kiersten says:

Fantasy help.

So this guy in my league hardly has any starters and a ton of closers (we did pitchers as one position, no distinction between relief and starter) and I only have one closer and a ton of starters. He wants to make a trade but I have no idea who to trade and what would be fair.

Starters I have:
    King Felix (not trading, obviously)
    Hamels
    Latos
    Cain
    Billingsley
    Hughes
    Bumgarner
    Matusz
    E. Santana
    Cecil

Relievers he has (only saves, no holds):
    Marmol
    Feliz
    Papelbon
    Putz
    Nathan
    Chris Perez
    Leo Nunez

Any opinions on what would be a good/fair trade and who of those starters I should be willing to give up?

• Kiersten says:

Oh and pitchers stats are wins, saves, ERA, K’s and WHIP.

• Pak says:

Get Feliz for a Santana or a Cecil, high strikeout/innings guy for a high saves guy

• bexarama says:

Marmol is the best closer you can get there. Putz and Chris Perez (and Nunez too, to an extent) are getting underrated… maybe trade one of your lesser starters for that? Maybe like, Marmol + a lesser reliever for Billingsley or Latos, is that at all fair?

• boogie down says:

I Agree that Marmol’s the best of that bunch and that Putz and Perez are being underrated.

Kiersten, I don’t think you should trade any of your top 4 pitchers, as you’re sure to have a pretty dominant rotation with those guys at the helm. Two of Billingsley, Hughes and Bumgarner for two of Putz, Nathan and Perez seems like a good deal to me. I have Nathan on my fantasy team and he’ll share the closer role for much of April before reclaiming it outright, so keep that in mind.

• Kiersten says:

Who would you guys recommend me keeping between Matusz and Bumgarner?

My problem is that obviously in real life I don’t value relievers as much as starters, but I have no idea how their value translates in fantasy. Is one good starter a fair trade for 2 decent relievers? Will I be OK with just two closers?

Would something like Santana for Putz and Perez be a fair trade?
          Also, if I pick up 2 for 1 then I have to drop a bench player, which isn’t a big deal, but then I’d have 12 pitchers.

• bexarama says:

Bumgarner? I really like Matusz but he’s in a hitters’ park and a rough league. Bumgarner’s team isn’t great with scoring runs but it’s a pretty good team and he’s got a much easier league.

I have just started this whole fantasy thing too so I have no idea what fair trades are. Santana for Putz/Perez seems fair to me, but I don’t know much. Who’s on your bench/your normal team so I could offer advice on who to drop?

• Kiersten says:

I have Montero on my bench, so I’d probably drop him and just snatch him up if I can when he’s called up. Which I’ll probably know before anyone else in my league since I check RAB like 15 times a day.

• boogie down says:

I actually did something similar: I dropped Montero, after drafting him with my final pick, in favor of Denard Span. Keeping an eye on his AAA production and RAB should make a preemptive pickup somewhat easy.

• boogie down says:

You shouldn’t value relievers highly in fantasy. As your league’s scoring structure is set up, a reliever’s greatest value will come almost exclusively from his ability to provide saves. This renders excellent set-up men like Hong-Chi Kuo and Mike Adams effectively useless in fantasy. (Adams may become an attractive mid-season pickup if/when Heath Bell is traded)

Fantasy experts often advise players not to pay for saves, i.e. draft a stud closer relatively high. I agree with that logic b/c the amount of innings a closer throws isn’t enough to significantly alter your staff’s overall ERA or WHIP, even if he’s below average (think Matt Lindstrom).

Though you’d be OK with only 2 closers, I suggest you get a third, assuming that’s what most people have. With too few relievers, your rate stats stand to worsen, as you’ll have added innings from presumably lesser starters (since you’ll always hold onto better ones). However, more starters means more gross W’s and K’s.

Weigh the win and K capabilities of your frontline, never-gonna-trade-em starters against those of your opponents’. If you match up favorably, and I think you will, acquire a reliever. Even if you get a reliever who’s merely average but can get saves (think Kevin Gregg), he won’t hurt your rate stats as much as a similar starter simply because the reliever pitches fewer innings.

Lastly, don’t go 2 for 1, because then you’ll have too many pitchers and not enough position players manning the bench. If you could get Santana for Putz or Perez, I think that you’ll still have made an excellent trade, considering the rest of your staff.

Hope this helps.

• boogie down says:

Oops, in the face of “[y]ou shouldn’t value relievers highly in fantasy,” I think I need to explain my rationale behind saying Santana for Putz/Perez is good. As your staff is pretty damn good, a lesser starter for a legitimately good reliever, straight up, is a fine trade. Regardless, you should look to replace a couple of the pitchers you have with position players, be it through trade or FA.

However, if you can pull a 2 for 1 trade and then use your surplus pitching to acquire some position-player depth, you’ll have done a thoroughly good job of improving your whole team.

7. NC Yankee Fan says:

my fantasy team
    Mixed 12 Team League
    Hr, RBI, SV, K’s, AVG, WHIP etc…
    C Brian McCann

P Jaime Garcia
    P Tim Hudson
    P A.J. Burnett
    P Javier Vazquez

What do you guys think?
    Chose 10th Overall.

8. I hate the Rangers even more right now.

9. bexarama says:

Here is my 20-team league team so you can all laugh at it:
    C Brian McCann
    1B Prince Fielder
    2B Ben Zobrist
    SS Elvis Andrus
    3B Dan Johnson (lol)
    OF Jason Heyward, Juan Pierre, JD Drew
    UTIL/BN Juan Uribe, Sean Rodriguez, Ryan Doumit, Johnny Damon, Kosuke Fukudome

SP Jered Weaver
    SP Ricky Romero
    RP Craig Kimbrel
    RP Mike Adams
    P Travis Wood, Brett Cecil, Joel Peralta, Jeremy Guthrie, Phil Coke, Brandon McCarthy

And then again, here is my team in a 4-team league:
    BN Brett Gardner, Jorge Posada, Brandon Phillips, Casey McGehee

SP Cliff Lee, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia, Max Scherzer
    RP Joakim Soria, Carlos Marmol, John Axford, Jeremy Hellickson
    P John Danks, Colby Lewis, Aroldis Chapman

I also drafted Andy >_>

• NC Yankee Fan says:

Maybe a lack of power on 20 team league team.
      I would trade excess pitching like a Brett Cecil for power.

• 20 teamer: Awesome C/1B. Rest of the infield? Not so much. OF is okay w/Heyward and Drew, just gotta hope for health.

And here’s the eventual champion of that four team league, FIP to be Square:

C-Mauer

RP-Bell
      RP-Thornton
      RP-Nathan
      P: Gallardo, Latos, Billingsley, Anderson, W. Rodriguez, Carpenter, Morrow

• bexarama says:

20 teamer: Awesome C/1B. Rest of the infield? Not so much

Yeah you don’t have to tell me. I’ll just hope Andrus magically develops 15 HR power and steals a bunch of bases and scores a lot of runs, Zobrist bounces back, and Dan Johnson… um… I’ll play him when the Yankees and Red Sox play the Rays………

OF is okay w/Heyward and Drew, just gotta hope for health.
        Yeah :( I have like 75 OFs but they all seem to have health issues :/

P: John Danks
    P: Jason Hammel
    BN: Chris Narveson
    BN: Juan Gutierrez
    BN: Matt Lindstrom

• bexarama says:

I might be down to trade a pitcher for Branyan or Thome.

• YankeesJunkie says:

I don’t like how one of your two pitchers are not in the NL, but at least you chose two very good AL pitchers, one being in a huge park. Also Hosmer won’t make an impact on the Royals until at least the second half if that with Kila and Butler.

• Tom Zig says:

Well I grabbed Hosmer off of Free agency because I noticed that all other young guys were being snapped up already.

Pineda, M. perez, Brandon Belt, Montero, Ackley are all gone.

11. NC Yankee Fan says:

Pitching is weak, trade Branyan for a pitcher or outfielder

12. boogie down says:

My 2nd and final FBB draft — 12-team league w/ the following categories:

Hitting: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, OPS, XBH
    Pitching: W, L, CG, SHO, SV, ER, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, QS
    *weekly minimum of 30 IP*

Team Name: Hole Camels

Roster:
    C Matt Wieters
    1B Victor Martinez
    2B Kelly Johnson
    3B A-Rod (lean, mean, odd-year A-Rod)
    SS Starlin Castro

RP Brandon League
    P Tommy Hanson
    P Wandy Rodriguez
    P Jhoulys Chacin
    P Brian Matusz
    Bench: Hong-Chih Kuo
    (Everyone else in the league is also utilizing only two RP)

• YankeesJunkie says:

One of the things other than not being more statistically inclined for the RAB league is the min innings only being 10. You could easily win ERA, WHIP, and SVs with relievers alone and spot start your good starters against poor teams. Not saying it is full proof, but I feel the limit is too low.

• boogie down says:

Yeah, my buddy is the Commissioner of my other league and he had originally set the minimum innings requirement to 7. I told him to up it to 25 to avoid exactly what you just said. Otherwise, why not get three excellent pitchers and load up on relievers. That way, you’d not only steal ERA, WHIP, and SVs without a problem, but you stand a chance of being competitive in categories that are starter driven, like W’s and K’s. Obviously, you’d need 3 knockout aces, but with the pitching depth available, they’re not overly difficult to acquire. During weeks where they’re pitching well, multiple outings by 2, or all 3, could give you a shot at nabbing a win in W’s and/or K’s.

13. Cecala says:

I was proposed a trade

I give up: Jose Reyes
    I get: Alcedes Escobar, Andres Torres, Ted Lilly

Right now my outfield is pretty stacked with Jay Bruce, Rasmus, Stanton, Cuddyer, Hart,Soriano, Dejesus, and Hall if he plays OF.

I think its a bad trade on my part.

14. YankeesJunkie says:

I am starting a 20 team league on ESPN. Unlike the other official RAB leagues this is totally based off metric weighting. It is a 20 team league and the draft is on Wednesday at 730 EST. It will be head to head competition on a weekly basis with all 20 teams in a single division. Hope to see you guys and gals there.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/flb/t.....eId=229055
    Password: Yankees

15. RubaDoob says:

my fantasy team in a 10 team league, i had the 8th pick

c- weiters
    1b- cabrera
    2b- phillips
    ss- drew
    ss/2b- castro
    1b/3b- dunn
    of- soriano,snider,choo,markakis,fowler
    util- mcgehee
    bench- c. jones, y. molina,r. martin, freese, f. sanchez

p- king felix
    p- price
    p- oswalt
    p- morrow
    p- romero
    p- wolf
    p- davis
    p-buehrle
    rp- soria

how’d i do?

16. bonestock94 says:

Not to beat a dead horse but LOL at all the people that now like Longoria less for owning an AK47. The law-abiding gun owners in this country aren’t the problem…

17. Camilo Gerardo says:

10 team league. it’s been awhile, but it looked quality to me with guys like quentin and beltran who could make a big return. pitchers are all green, eh. didn’t know lidge was messed up, but saves is just one point out of 15 h2h

C- Santana