Mar

Opening Day payroll currently at $189M

For the first time since 2007, the Yankees are expected to the begin the regular season with an Opening Day payroll below $200M. Dan Barbarisi hears from the team that the current payroll is right around $189M, but will jump to $192-193M if/when guys like Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon, and Eric Chavez are added to the roster. Rafael Soriano‘s salary essentially replaces Andy Pettitte‘s, so the team still has $20-something million bucks burning a hole in their pocket after Cliff Lee joined those youngsters in Philadelphia. It’s too bad they can’t just buy players from other teams.

Categories : Asides

1. mbonzo says:

Where’s Yu Darvish when you need him?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Yankees don’t need to pay premium dollar for a player that has only faced AAAA competition.

• Cuso says:

you know, I don’t know if that guy is ever going to make an impact in MLB. he’s been hyped for 5 years, and I just don’t buy it anymore.

plus, isn’t his family supposedly big Sawx fans anyways?

2. Not Tank the Frank says:

I’m worried how Cliff Lee will adjust to being part of such a young, up-and-coming team and youthful clubhouse. May be a down season for him.

3. bonestock94 says:

What are the sawks at?

• mbonzo says:

Most likely around $170m
      Cots has them at $162.5m without any of their Buccholz, Lowerie, Bard, and the rest of the newbs. I also think Gonzalez will get a pay raise after his extension. They won’t start opening day over $178m due to the luxury tax cap (sneaky bastards) but I could see them finishing well over $180m.

4. Ultimate Yankee Warrior (James) says:

I stand corrected. 190M with two glaring holes in the rotation is unprecedented.

• JGS says:

208M (per Cots). I guess Aaron Small and Shawn Chacon were pushing out perfectly viable starters

• Tom Zig says:

Everyone in the rotation outside of Randy Johnson, sucked. They had 12 different guys start at least 1 game that year.

• radnom says:

Everyone in the rotation outside of Randy Johnson, sucked.

Thats a shame, because we have 0 starters outside of CC Sabbathia who were better in 2010 than Wang in 05 (Hughes was pretty close) and everyone but Hughes+Sabbathia was worse in 2010 than Mussina was in 2005.

They had 12 different guys start at least 1 game that year.

That doesn’t seem outrageously high to me. For example, the WS winning 2009 club had 9 guys start at least one game. There are better measures of how injured a club is.

• JGS says:

How was Hughes not better? The ERA/WHIP were about the same, but Hughes had much better peripherals and more importantly, threw 60 more innings.

• radnom says:

I was just quickly going by ERA+ since we are comparing 6 seasons apart, and I did say they were pretty close. I figured it was a push, but good point about the 60 innings, got to give Hughes an edge there.

• Tom Zig says:

Going by ERA+, in 2010 Sabathia, Pettitte, and Hughes, were all better than Mussina in 2005.

But fine, in 2009, they had 4 guys make 30+ starts, in 2005 they had 2.

I don’t know what we’re arguing about.

• radnom says:

Pettite is not on the team next year.

And I said Sabathia and Hughes had better seasons than Mussina.

But fine, in 2009, they had 4 guys make 30+ starts, in 2005 they had 2.

Yes, now that is a much better measure.

I don’t know what we’re arguing about.

Who is arguing? You just made a point about the quality of the 05 roster that for some reason made me think to compare to 2011. I thought 2011 would compare a lot more favorably than it did, because as you said, the rotation in 05 was awful.

5. el duque says:

Yeesh. When did we get to be so cheap? Who’s running this team, the Steinbrothers or Scott Walker?

6. mbonzo says:

Could the Yankees DFA Damasco Marte to get his money off the payroll?

• Mike Axisa says:

No, his contract is guaranteed. The only way they get his money off the payroll is if they trade him to a team willing to take on his entire salary.

• Havok9120 says:

They can’t even finagle some way to send him to the minors a la Kei Igawa? While I understand why Marte wouldn’t normally accept that I see no reason for him to say no to it when he won’t be pitching anywhere anyway. And if we do that then his salary is at least no longer counted in the luxury tax, correct?

7. Gonzo says:

This post is screaming for a follow up on potential salary dumps that could help the team at specific positions if injury hits!

• mbonzo says:

This is far from all the players available, but this is who I think the Yankees could realistically check up on.

Prince Fielder
      Jose Reyes
      Grady Sizemore
      Carlos Beltran
      Mark Buehrle
      Chris Carpenter
      Adam Wainright
      Johan Santana

I very much think that Felix Hernandez will be available after the 2011 season considering his salary moves up from $10m to $18.5m. I have this suspicion that Carlos Beltran in pinstripes is inevitable. He was willing to take $20m less in his last contract to go to the Yankees, and he’d be a perfect fit for DH next year. Yankees could work out a sweet deal for him considering his age and injuries. He slugged .545 in old Yankee stadium and .500 in the new one (13 PA). He’s a good DH option if Posada goes down.

• Gonzo says:

You know, I never thought about Beltran next year. He might be a good fit because he can play the field in a pinch. Good eye.

• Reggie C. says:

i’ve always liked Beltran. He’d be the most athletic DH in the league, though i imagine if Andruw Jones works out nicely, i could see Joe G. push to keep Jones as the full-time DH.

8. A.D. says:

The little engine that could Yankees!

9. Sensitive NoMaas Guy says:

If I had $189 million to burn the Yankees would never lose a game.

10. Mike says:

next thread…..Tex to 3rd, Pujols to first!!!

• mike c says:

I wonder if tex could play 3rd, he’s so quick at first I’d think its possible… makes you think if montero can’t catch they’d consider moving him to 1st if his bat is truly superior

11. Mike says:

It’s kinda weird being called an underdog with a 190 million dollar payroll, but I guess that’s what we are.