Mar

The musical stresses of Spring Training

Mark Teixeira wants to rock, and he wants Yankee fans to know that every single time he strides to the plate in Yankee Stadium this year. The Twisted Sister, in fact, has been filtering through the TV broadcasts during Spring Training as well. So I take comfort in knowing that in 2011, Mark Teixeira wants to rock just as much as he did in 2010 and 2009.

Teixeira isn’t so stuck in his ways. As he explained last year to ESPN, he has mixed it up with his tunes over the years. He used to play Jimi Hendrix’s version of “All Along the Watchtower” and added Pearl Jam’s “Alive” to his Bronx rotation in 2010. Even still, he always just wants to rock.

The Yanks’ first baseman though is a stalwart among changing tastes. As Mark Feinsand and the dear departed Fack Youk explored last May, the Yankee lineup featured an ever-changing mix of current hits and classic tracks. The Baseball Gods cursed Nick Johnson for his using Miley Cyrus during baseball games while Derek Jeter and A-Rod come to bat to their latest favorite. “This Is Why I’m Hot” gave way to “The Way I Live” for A-Rod one year. Or perhaps it was the other way around.

Inside the stadium, we used to be welcomed to the jungle by Axl Rose and Co. before every game. These days, Nelly reminds us that the Yanks have the heart of a champion, and the dulcet tones of Bobby Darin still remind us that it’s Sunday in New York. Those tracks are run by board operator Mike Bonner, but the players generally pick their own songs. It’s a process.

On Monday evening, Curtis Granderson — with some help from 12 Angry Mascots — let us into the process and showed us exactly what song we’ll be listening to this season as number 14 comes to bat. The, uh, fun is well worth the three minutes and three seconds.

Categories : Whimsy

1. Mike Axisa says:

Dan Johnson comes to bat to Safety Dance. What the hell is that?

2. I laughed. If I had to pick my AB music, it would probably be “Flashing Lights”. Makes a lot of sense, I think.

3. AndrewYF says:

If I were a major leaguer I would definitely subject the fans to Friday…every Friday.

• bexarama says:

Way to beat me to the comment. :(

• AndrewYF says:

And honestly, what is the difference between Rebecca Black’s new song, and that song by Miley Cyrus? Why did one get widespread scorn and Miley is spared? Is it because she’s a barely legal and Black isn’t?

• Esteban says:

Today is Friday, Yesterday was Thursday, Tomorrow and Sunday comes afterwards (or something like that). As bad as Miley Cyrus is, this is just comically awful songwriting.

• bakekrukow412 says:

Can someone please tell me who Rebecca Black is?

• Tom Zig says:

You mean party in the USA?

Miley’s song actually has sensible lyrics? and not an excessive use of auto-tune?

Also Biggie Smalls somehow remixed her song, despite being dead for 14 years. (ZoMg CoNsPiRaCy!!!)

• Mike Axisa says:

Tulo uses Party in the USA too, but I’m not sure why. At least Nick Johnson had an excuse since he let his daughter pick it for him.

• Tom Zig says:

I had no idea about Tulo using it. Does he have kids? But I thought that was pretty cool of Nick Johnson **pours out a sip of a 40 oz** to let his daughter pick the song and stick with it.

• Monteroisdinero says:

This was right after Nick sprained his ankle while running along side his daughter teaching her to ride a bike.

• AndrewYF says:

I dunno, Black’s lyrics are pretty straightforward. Not even her lyrics, really, they just had her sing it.

Honestly, even though she didn’t mean it (although maybe the songwriters did), it’s a really hilarious commentary on the horrible vapidness of goes for ‘pop music’ these days. I think I like Friday over any kind of shit Bieber or Efron or Cyrus squeezes out their collective ass, because it’s so devoid of any kind of content it’s actually interesting.

4. bexarama says:

I just hope someone comes up to “Friday” this year.

5. Mike Axisa says:

Also, I can totally see Mark Teixeira coming up to the plate to “I wanna rock” until the day he retires.

6. JGS says:

Pedroia should totally come out to the lollipop guild song

7. oh hell says:

Finally some whismy

8. bakekrukow412 says:

Perfect batter intro music.

9. Esteban says:

I think “Power” by Kanye West is a good choice, though it’s a little old now. I can see A-Rod picking that. Or maybe “All of the Lights.”

A-rod’s worst song was “Lose Control”

10. S says:

How I think they should step up to

Jeter- Empire State of Mind (memories of 2009, for the Captain)
    Arod- “Cinderella Man” By Emiminem
    Tex (Let the man Rock to Twisted Sister; no complaints)
    Cano- “Monster” by Kanye, Jay Z, Nikki Minage (the things he did last year for us no one deserves this song)
    Gardner- “Explosion” by Eli ‘Paperboy’ Reed
    Swish- “Let Me Clear My Throat” by Doug e. Fresh
    Grandy- “Momma said Knock You Out” by LL Cool J
    Jorge- “On the eve of War” by Jedi Mind Tricks
    Montero- “Blow Up” by J. Cole

11. Jonathan says:

Metallica: Ride the Lightning would be a great song for Soriano. It has a very heavy start but you need that guitar solo in there so it needs to be a reliever.

12. Legendary says:

They changed Nelly “Heart of the Champion” halfway through the year last year…Using different songs for different points during the game is a good thing.

I wont go into the YMCA because I dont think it changes until the Core Four retires…

I miss the days when Jeter played Biggie and Puffy all the time. It happened to be because he was friends with them and went to one of their parties the night before.

13. Craig says:

What song(s) did Posada come out to last year?

14. I am not the droids you're looking for says:

My AB music: Thunderstruck by AC/DC

15. Monteroisdinero says:

With all due respect the Grandyman has the greatest song available and it is from 1979/80 by Kurtis Blow.

“The Breaks”…. Clap Your Hands Everybody…

Check it out on youtube. He will thank me.

16. Kiersten says:

You forgot the Boys are Back in Town. It came on the radio yesterday and made me miss Yankee games and sad that I’m only going to one this year.

17. Fair Weather Freddy says:

I think ‘Why Can’t We Be Friends’ would be more appropriate for Soriano

18. joe says:

skip to 1:30. pause. fullscreen. “Fuck Buttons”

19. Klemy says:

Paul O’Neill always had it right with Baba O’Reilly. That song in the classic moments always gave me goosebumps.

20. baravelli says:

I just wanna point out that one of the songs Curtis goes through in the quick clip montage part of the video is Apu singing “Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart.” Classic.

21. cano is the bro says: