Apr

Open Thread: A Quick Survey

Larry Rothschild phoned his answers in. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Let’s cut right to chase here and be frank: we’re looking for ways to better monetize the site, and one of the best ways to do that is by improving our advertisements. Hosting costs ain’t cheap, yo. In order to do that, we need to collect some information from you guys, the readers. Please take this quick, 15-question survey to help us get a better idea of our target audience, which we can then use to hopefully get rid of those shocking meat videos in the sidebar. The survey is completely anonymous and even if it wasn’t, we’d still never distribute your information elsewhere. At least not for free anyway. Kidding, I’m kidding. I swear. Seriously, please click the link and give us a minute of your time. Thanks in advance.

Once you’ve done that, use this as your open thread for the night. The free preview of the Extra Inning package is still in effect, so there’s baseball on somewhere. The (New York) Rangers are also playing what is essentially their biggest game of the season as well, so that should be fun. Talk about whatever, go bananas.

Note: Friend of the site Alex Kresovich (who produced the intro music for our podcast) has a beat in the running for the NBA2K12 soundtrack. They’re now down to ten finalists after 11,000+ submissions, and you can vote for Alex through Facebook. All you have to do is click the link, then click “Like” for Alex Kresovich, “The Return.” That’s all. Thanks.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mike Axisa says:

Heh, I really left MySpace in the survey? That’s what I get for using an old template.

2. Alex K. says:

Thanks a lot for the support!

3. Sheepmeister says:

For the record, I enjoy the D-rob Dry Hump Counter

4. Tommy says:

Create RAB T-Shirts and sell them. I will buy one, and I don’t even care if you rip me off.

5. pete says:

know what’s weird? I visit this site 4-5 times a day, nytimes once or twice every day, and netflix pretty much every day, and I couldn’t think of two more sites.

River Ave Blues comprises a solid 50% of my internet time. Well done, guys.

6. NJ_Andy says:

Any chance you’d be willing to share super general results with us?

I don’t know how invasive that is, but it could be cool to know the general age range of RABbis.

7. jon says:

Honestly? I use ad block on my chrome browser i dont see any ads

• radnom says:

I don’t simply to support the site, but if any of the ads caused me even slightest annoyance I would remove it from my ‘exempt’ list.

I’m only noticing the ‘meat’ advertisement for the first time now that its been pointed out, and honestly all I am is amused at the contrast between than and Drob.

• pete says:

yeah just don’t click on that one. I’m a vegetarian and I believe in all that shit, but I still don’t think people should click on that. Horrifying.

• Brian in NH says:

Dude those “shocking meat” ads are funny to see, since I know on more than one occasion Axisa has mentioned eating Wendy’s prior to a friday chat.

LoHud’s ads usually have one for some strip club in Nyack called Stiletto. I always feel a little weird reading LoHud at work because of that.

8. YankeesJunkie says:

So…clicking on ads of River Ave Blues good, or do I actually have to do something when I get to those ads.

• Mike Axisa says:

They’re based on impressions, so it just goes by the number of people that visit the site.

• YankeesJunkie says:

How many hits does RAB usually get on a day. It has to be anywhere from 40-80 K at least?

• Rey22 says:

Do the hits count of we have an ad blocker?

• Mike Axisa says:

Yes, don’t worry about that.

• radnom says:

Ehhhhh…..this far from true in most scenarios. Although I’m not familiar with your situation directly, I doubt its that straightforward.

Depends on the adblocker/ad network but there are two basic kinds of ad blockers – those that simply hide the ads and those that outright refuse the connection. Unless you have advertising set up through your host, you will not get impressions from the later (well I guess unless they pay you via the honor system). This obviously doesn’t apply if they also control your analytics, but thats undesirable for many other reasons.

For the record, Chrome’s blocker falls under the first category, and so always provide impressions. The more popular plugins for Firefox tend to be in the later category, but it varies.

9. Esteban says:

What did everyone else say for their favorite non RAB site? Non-baseball?

10. Jake S says:

Where can I buy some SHOCKING MEAT?

11. If you get some scantily clad women ads I would consider taking off my ad block.

12. YankeesJunkie says:

So I am still thinking about the Soriano debacle on Tuesday not really on how poorly Soriano did, but why Giradi did it. At that point of the game the Yankees chances of winning were at 95.6% which does not seem like the proper situation for your second best reliever. It seems better suited for a guy like Robertson, Ayala, Logan, and even Chamberlain to close out the last two innings. When a pitcher like Soriano enter the game it should be at a time when the Yankees are up by 2 to down by less 1 possibly 2 depending on the situation. The same goes for Mo while Joba is a little more fungible as even if he gets used three days in a row, more than likely Robertson is backing him up. Either way it is not only an improper use, but an inefficient use as Ayala would have probably had a very similar success rate in getting the Yankees through the 8th than Soriano, let alone Robertson. IMO the Yankees should be using Soriano, Rivera, and even Feliciano to a lesser extent as pitchers to be used in high leverage, close game situations. This leaves Joba and Robertson for the sixth and seventh and possibly 4 or 5 run games depending on workload. With the rest of the innings being distributed to guys such as Ayala, Logan, and Colon (who when he goes in should be used at least 2, preferably 3 innings). I always get a little annoyed when the Yankees have a fairly big lead after six and they go to pen and use three or four reliever instead of going to the long man to finish the game which is of low leverage situation. Even though the Yankees lose the long man the rest and the better part of the bullpen would be ready to go in the pen the next day. This is just my little rant though.

• CS Yankee says:

Maybe the 4 run lead wasn’t the best use but who would of thunk that he would yield 4 runs (actually didn’t, but did).

A great closer on a bad night can give up 2-3 pretty quickly, but 4 is almost unbelieveble. It should have given Mo more cushion.

Ayala & Logan are real weak and will likely be DFA by June although I wanted Logan’s head early last year and he did well the last 4 months. I can’t stand LOOGY’s walking LHB’ers.

Drob would of been a wise choice to use starting the eight as we had room and he needs work…Ayala not so much.

13. Ben D says:

I would bet that if you folks ran an annual fundraiser to help pay site costs, a lot of readers would chip in. It could be a simple paypal thing. I’d certainly contribute.

14. SamVa says:

is today the first DOTF?

(prays)

15. CS Yankee says:

Mike,

Did the survey & it wouldn’t let me send saying I missed a question. I answered everything (even #10)…had to exit after trying 4 times and making sure it was right.

16. Jerome S. says:

Matt Garza has a FIP of -0.48 right now.

Insanity.

17. JerseyDutch says:

Apparently Nishioka broke his leg on the Swisher slide. Hope he gets better quickly.

18. Across the pond says:

I’d be willing to purchase a “premium” account. Say something like $50-$60 a year or something to get ad free content.

19. Mike Myers says:

The Indians released third baseman Matt Cusick, one of the two players they received from the Yankees in last season’s swap for Kerry Wood. The other player – Andrew Shive – had been previously released.

So, what your sayin’ is……it was actually a salary dump?

20. This Year says:

I tried to do survey, but it did not submit. I think because it wanted 5 non-Yankee blogs. I answered “none” and it acted as if I had not answered a “required question”. Bug in survey. Just so you know.

21. Sevrox says:

I’m in the not-quite-but-very-close-to-50 age range and enjoy the banter. Def a glitch in the survey at that same locale.

22. Seaver says:

Tell Ben to kick in a few extra bucks

23. pat says:

The Sanchize has left the building.

24. Pat D says:

Anyone know if YES and DirecTV ended their pissing match? I haven’t seen/heard anything.

25. V says:

So… I’m thinking of ditching work at 2 pm tomorrow to watch the game at a bar in Manhattan. Anyone else up for that?

26. Dela G says:

Great win today. The twins are always fun to defeat

27. Jake H says:

Survey done. Hope that helps

28. BigDavey88 says:

Mike Axisa, you just got surrrvvv-

-veyed.

… Had to do it.

29. It'sATarp says:

If a team have a weak farm and little chance of making the play offs…are they more likely to sell low for solid but not top prospects to restock farm with depth or go high in hopes of landing a stud prospect?

30. Tom Zig says:

Whatever happened to registration?

31. Brooklyn Ed says:

so apparently, the Yanks might be Aceves this weekend in Boston.

32. The209 says:

You guys could hold an auction on NoMaas:

highest bidder can use your names again for 24hrs or something.

33. Poopy Pants says:

Fun fact of the day: David Robertson’s ERA is still 0.00.

34. Hey Mike, was wondering if you knew anything about a draft prospect, John Norwood, OF, Seton Hall Prep, West Orange NJ. They are the #1 team in NJ and constantly churn out draft prospects (Porcello, Eric Duncan) and just through bad luck they are the team I am making my first varsity start against tomorrow (thanks coach). My friend has been bragging about Norwood and I wanted to see what he really has. Know anything, Mike?

35. Stratman9652 says:

Mitch Williams just refered to the RedSox as a lunchpail carrying blue collar team… why has nobody slapped the stupid out of this guy yet?

36. Kipper the Dog says:

I love the D-Rob Dry Hump Watch. It’s glorious. Mitch Williams should be allowed to express himself, he should only read the TelePrompTer.

37. Dave says:

If/when you go to a paid app, can you keep the price at 99 cents?

Love the site, though I rarely comment.

I feel obligated to write something witty… but I got nothin.

38. Francis says:

Via Deadspin.. some guy might a Yankee/Red Sox “Rebecca Black” inspired video.

Watch at your own risk.

39. Plank says:

If I were you, I would ask for the locations of where people live and how many games they attend per year. I would think advertisers on a baseball blog would want that information. Unfortunately, living in Asia and attending 0 games a year probably doesn’t help in that regard.