May

Chavez leaves game with small fracture in left foot

Update (3:28pm): Chavez has a small fracture in the fifth metatarsal in his left foot, which is the bone adjacent to his little toe. No idea how long he’ll be out, but it’s obviously a disabled list thing. Maybe they’ll call up a utility infielder that can actually make a throw to first.

Just FYI, Ramiro Pena has not played since fouling a ball of his foot on Monday, though Triple-A Scranton hasn’t played in either of the last two days because of a rain out and a scheduled off day. If he’s not healthy enough to come up, the other 40-man roster options are Brandon Laird and Kevin Russo, but neither has done much with the bat this year (.230 and .224 wOBA‘s, respectively).

Original Post (2:07pm): Eric Chavez left today’s game with an apparent left foot injury after legging out an RBI triple in the fourth. He pulled up lame about halfway to third and called the trainer out. After a consultation that focused around Chavez’s left foot, the Yanks’ medical staff had to help Chavez off the field. Alex Rodriguez replaced him at third base. We’ll update with more as it comes.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. rek4gehrig says:

Let Nunex play, let Nunez play
    chant chant clap clap

2. mike_h says:

doesnt look good, probably a DL stint. Does this mean Laird or Jorge Vasquez get a shot?

• AndrewYF says:

Laird definitely not, he’s been doing a whole lot of nothing at AAA.

Vazquez doesn’t really fit either. He hits from the right side and reportedly is not much of a 3rd baseman. We might just have to see Ramiro Pena or Kevin Russo for a while. Having a good bench was nice while it lasted.

3. Urban says:

Torn Lisfranc ligament?

4. Midland TX says:

Hope this isn’t another lisfranc. That summer with Bruney and Wang was ridiculous.

5. Chris says:

After a consultation that focused around Chavez’s left food

Mmmmm…. Left food…

6. Neil says:

With the Chavez injury history it’s hard to be optimistic.

7. shrimpd says:

haha lol

8. J.R. says:

Think this means a call up for Pena?

9. YANKS1FAN says:

What is wrong with you people…..’EL DESTRUCTOR’ Vazquez is coming to town to hit B-O-M-B-S!!!!!!!!!!

10. bonestock94 says:

It was nice while it lasted. May god rest his soul.

11. Monteroisdinero says:

Achilles? Whatever it is doesn’t sound good. It’s a shame that professional athletes are asked to run.

We ask so much of them these days.

12. Jorge brosada says:

noooooooooooooo

hopefully not a long DL stint

13. Jon G says:

Sounds like a small fracture – 4-6 week type of thing. Hopefully that’s all it is… I’m guessing they call up Pena since he can actually throw to first, and they let Nunez be pinch hit/run guy.

We’ll see I guess…

I’d love to see Vasquez up here one of these days, but they need someone who can field third adequately

14. Jon G says:

I was thinking when Swish was up with bases juiced that if we don’t get more there, we’ll regret it… One of these days Swish will come through.

If we have a stronger swisher and a refreshed Hughes in the 2nd half (and a hughes who doesn’t tire late-season like he did last year), that will be a big boost!

15. Kyle says:

I wish Nunez broke his stupid face

16. Fairweather Freddy says:

Nunez problem isn’t fielding, its throwing. Hope he can improve cause it looks like he can really hit.

17. Urban says:

I think the question is if they bring up Pena, do they also keep Nunez. This might require two moves. DL Chavez, send down Nunez, and bring up Pena as the all-purpose infield defender, and bring up Vazquez as a potential offensive option off the bench. I gather the issue wiht Vazquez is opening up a roster spot.

18. GlassHalfEmpty says:

Boy could we all see the results of this series coming? Monday against Verlander they should have had like 5 or 6 runs early on and they got three. Luckily Valverde blew up and they eeked out a win. Tuesday, CC was a little bit off and they decided not to hit against Brad Penny! Wednesday you could have turned it off right away as it was clear from the beginning that Scherzer was going to befuddled them. Then today, another lousy effort with RISP and shoddy fielding. Anyone who thinks Jeter’s bat will kill them this year is nuts…he makes all of the plays you should in the field and sometimes that is worth more than a couple of knocks.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Sometimes, but not all the time. I’d rather take Pena who looks like he can hit just as good and field better. Two extra base hits this season? Where is Eric Duncan when you need him?

19. Jorge says:

I’m sure Eduardo Nunez can grow up to be a nice MLB hitter. However, that’s not what he’s on the bench for and, if he can’t hold up his own defensively, I’d rather have the lighter-hitting guy up.

• RL says:

But wait! Isn’t he a potential “every day” MLB shortstop? Jeter’s replacement???

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I’d take him over Jeter right now. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ramiro Pena over Jeter right now.

• RL says:

Not sure I would. His errors are eliminating the advantage of his hitting. Pena? I don’t know, maybe. At lease he can play D. Not sure he’s back form his foot injury yet though.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Jeter can’t get the ball out of the infield. He kills this team offensively along with Posada this season. The runs he could have produced are worse than Nunez’s errors.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Plus we all know Nunez is better defensively than what he’s showing. It looks to me like Jeter is done.

20. Fairweather Freddy says:

Lets give the kid a break. He hardly plays, and its tough when you don’t play alot. Nothing wrong with his fielding, its the throws and it looks like his footwork is out of whack. That can be corrected. A little premature to be throwing him under the bus so soon. But hey thats just me. I still think the kid is gonna be a good player

• Urban says:

I agree. He has skills. Yet he might not be made for being a back-up SS, playing once a week to ten days. If that’s the case, he might be better off playing daily in AAA.

21. Thomas Cassidy says:

Even when the guy doesn’t have a real injury like he has in the past, he breaks his fucking foot. Why didn’t I see this coming?

22. Smallz says:

Chavez is really made of glass. Shit. I’d say they call up Russo to let Laird play everyday rather than letting him rot like Russo. Pena was hurt I am pretty sure so thats out.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I’d call up Laird. I don’t want to see Russo. At least give Laird a shot and see what he can do.

23. Grandyman says:

Laird come on down.

24. tomaconda says:

I saw Pena hit the ball off his leg. He needed to be helped off the field. No way you see him.

25. jsbrendog says:

at least it wasnt his back so he isnt crippled.