May

Open Thread: Back to Detroit

(AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Curtis Granderson has yet to play in Detroit as a visiting player. He was on the disabled list when the Yankees made their lone visit to MoTown last year, so tomorrow’s game with be his first time facing Justin Verlander (in a game that matters) and his first time in Comerica Park’s visitor’s clubhouse. The Grandyman was an All-Star for the Tigers and helped them to the 2006 World Series, so I’m sure the home crowd will welcome him with cheers. I hope he enjoys the homecoming.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets and Phillies (Chris Young vs. Cliff Lee) are your ESPN Sunday Night Game, and there’s bound to be some NBA and NHL playoff action somewhere. You all know what to do, so go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Xstar7 says:

Mets vs Phillies? Gross, no thanks.

2. Epy0n says:

I am still going to watch it because Cliff Lee is quality and I love to root against t

3. bexarama says:

I know Granderson was on the DL when the Yankees played the Tigers at Comerica last year but he faced Verlander later in the year and on Opening Day, no? Unless I just misread that.

Anyway, yay Yankees.

4. Jerome S. says:

Why are the Mets considered “cross-town rivals” like it’s some kind of competition?

• NJYankeeFan says:

They’re as much the Yankees “rivals” as the Washington General’s are to the Harlem Globetrotters.

• MikeD says:

Fire doesn’t have a rivalry with kindling. Lawnmowers don’t have a rivalry with grass. America doesn’t have a rivalry with Costa Rica.

/Baldwin’d

5. Gonzo says:

Getting a little more excited about the draft. I am very curious about this year’s strategy.

6. JohnnyC says:

Any way Matt Purke makes it all the way to us at the 51st pick? His shoulder bursitis might scare off most teams from giving him a 1st round bonus.

• Plank says:

I doubt it.

• I’m not sure if teams will be willing to take a risk with a dude that has shoulder problems. Tinkering with the mechanics to prevent future shoulder issues might result in a lack of stuff.

I think Purke will be available at pick 51, but if he’s not there will probably be plenty of other talented options available there.

• Zack says:

Why wouldn’t Tampa use one of their 10 first round picks? That’s the kind of team that should take a gamble on him.

• Gonzo says:

If he makes it to 51, he’s probably got something wrong with him. If he’s clear medically, a team with multiple compensation picks (Rays, Jays?) Might be wise to take a flyer. They could then do a new wave of draft and follow and see how he performs in the summer like what the Sox did with Ranaudo.

If he still sucks and wants big $, you still have the other picks to sign.

• Pat D says:

KLaw said he’d be wary of taking Purke that high right now.

7. NJYankeeFan says:

Is anyone else having a problem with this site crashing internet explorer?

It’s happened to me repeatedly and I had to start using Safari.

8. mustang says:

Question:

If the starters keep pitching well and Hughes’ problem gets solved whom getting bumped out of the rotation when Hughes is ready to return?

9. Reggie C. says:

April is mercifully over for Nick Swisher. He’s only 30 years old, is healthy, and doesnt appear to be striking out at a troubling rate. Swisher’s April looks alot like his 2008 April.

Its “only” been a month, but Swisher has got to pick it up and start looking something like the ALL STAR he campaigned the fans as being.

10. A-Rod's Wingman says:

3B: Pablo Sandoval
    SS: Troy Tulowitzki
    OF: Ryan Braun
    OF: Matt Kemp
    OF: Alphonso Soriano

• bexarama says:

I voted for Brad Emaus for NL 2B. Seriously.

• MikeD says:

You voted for Adam Dunn at DH? Are DH’s that bad this year? Also, the DH can be any player, right?

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

You can write in, but there’s a list of DHs. I get to play favorites some time, right?

• MikeD says:

Also, you can expect some Red Sox players to make it. Red Sox fans are the worst when it comes to stuffing the ballot box, so you can expect Pedroia to put up a challenge to Cano, and certainly Alex Gonzalez will get a lot of support. Hell, they’re probably voting for Carl Crawford.

• Slugger27 says:

is this a prediction or who u think will get voted? only guy in the AL hittin worse than jeter is adam dunn, and u have both starting… and pujols over fielder?

• A-Rod's Wingman says:

This is my ballot. Jeter was a bit of favoritism, even in a bad year he was still probably the best SS in the AL last year…he’s Derek Jeter he gets a bit of a pass from me. Adam Dunn is my favorite Non Yankee in baseball…I want to see him in a HR derby. Pujols over Fielder, yep. Just a lil slump.

• Tackaberry says:

And voting for Jeter because he is Derek Jeter is exactly why fans shouldn’t get to vote for All Stars and makes the who process worthless. This is especially true because the All Star Game affects who gets home field advantage in the World Series. Shame on you.

• Tank the Frank says:

AL

C – Russell Martin
      1B – Miguel “Johnny Walker” Cabrera
      2B – Robinson Cano
      3B – A-Rod
      SS – Asdrubal Cabrera
      OF – Grandy
      OF – Jose Bautista
      OF – Alex Gordon

NL

C – Miguel Montero
      1B – Joey Votto
      2B – Brandon Phillips
      3B – Ryan Zimmerman (hurt?)
      SS – Tulo
      OF – Matt Kemp
      OF – Andre Ethier
      OF – Lance “Berka Berka” Berkman

11. Pat D says:

ARod’s now 3 for his last 27.

But he’s happy Jeter has his struggles, huh? Am I right?

12. James G. says:

So Gardner is quietly OPSing .700 now…which is kinda, sorta pretty cool.

13. Big Apple says:

sox got a little lucky today…just watched crawford’s walk off…hope that doesn’t get him going too much..

pedrioa really needs to ditch that beard…he looks like perverted munchkin.

14. MikeD says:

I guess I’m rooting for the Mets in this game. A rare situation.

15. Monteroisdinero says:

No changeups from Nova today I think? Is this the Cervelli factor? Just locate two pitches and don’t worry about a 3rd? Nova has an excellent changeup but I guess his slow curve was locating so well they decided to abandon the change. I thought they were going to go to it in the 6th/7th to give Nova a chance to lengthen his start but obviously not.

• Steve H says:

He walked 4 in 6.1 innings. He wasn’t locating well enough. I think he’s got to use the 3rd pitch more, even if to show it and keep it in the hitters’ minds.

16. NHyankeesfan says:

He doesnt seem to be using the slider that he developed in spring training at all either

• pat says:

I think he’s been throw9ng it, he just hasn’t thrown a good once since he K’ed Youkilis in Boston.

17. Slappy White says:

OSAMA IS DEAD, MAY HE BURN IN FUCKING HELL FOR ETERNITY

18. Kevin G. says:

Osama Bin Laden’s dead.

19. Total Dominication says:

Osama bin Laden’s dead body is in US custody.

20. David N says:

News about OBL calls for a Cervelli-style fist pump.

21. JobaWockeeZ says:

We got the bastard.

22. Alfredo says:

Osama Bin Laden is dead!

23. Drew says:

USA! USA! USA!

Now lets play some fucking baseball. Theres nothing more American than that. Suck it Osama

24. Stratman9652 says:

“Do you remember where you were when you found out Bin Laden was killed?” “Yeah, River Ave Blues.” Not sure what that says about my life.

25. Drew says:

Can we have the Osama Bin Ladin Death open thread?

26. Tom Zig says:

via Facebook:

May 1st 1945 Hitler confirmed dead. May 1st 2011, Bin Laden confirmed dead.

27. JobaWockeeZ says:

Voldemort died May 2nd.
    Osama and Hitler confirmed dead on May 2nd.

28. Rob NY says: