Jun

Kuroda requires compensation to waive no-trade clause

Late last night word got out that Dodgers’ right-hander Hiroki Kuroda will require some kind of compensation to waive his no-trade clause at the deadline. Kuroda is expected to be one of the best available starters this summer, though Joel Sherman reports that the Yankees will not give the 36-year-old an extension to facilitate a trade. Kuroda is currently having his worst season in the States, but he still has a 3.10 ERA with a 3.82 FIP. I’ll take it.

Categories : Asides, Trade Deadline

1. For compensation, we should reacquire Hideki Matsui so that Kuroda can have a friend on the team.

Sincerely,
    Michael Kay

2. I Voted 4 Kodos says:

I’ll gladly send him my Snoopy Snow Cone machine. I can’t think of better compensation.

3. Adam B says:

our stadium makes it very difficult to acquire pitchers… it is frustrating…

4. Foghorn Leghorn says:

One live chicken and a full time hooker to accompany him on road trips…”Oh, me so horny!”

5. TheLastClown says:

dangles ring with fishing pole

6. Jonathan Harker says:

He’s currently an improvement over our 5th starter but CC-Bartolo-Phil-AJ are still above him so it’s not worth it. And it’s just amazing to me how people on here trash IPK because he has a 3.01 ERA in the NL West but Kuroda is slightly worse and it’s yep, sign me up and let’s sell the farm for him.

• I don’t think anyone who advocates trading for Kuroda wants to “sell the farm” for him. The whole point of trading for Kuroda is that he might be available for a palatable smallish prospect cost because he’d be a salary dump for a financially strapped franchise that desperately needs breathing room.

• I Voted 4 Kodos says:

I have yet to see a single person advocate anything even remotely close to selling the farm for Kuroda. Discussing the possibility of trading for someone =/= giving up a lot for him.

7. FIPster Doofus says:

“Compensation”? So he wants us to bang him?

8. Bill says:

His compensation, he gets to pitch in the playoffs. If he’d prefer to stay in LA over a shot at a championship, good riddance. That said though I wouldn’t give him an extension but if he pitches well he might be worth an arbitration offer in what will be a bad year for FA pitchers, but I’d want to see how he does before offering anything.

9. infernoscurse says:

say no to kuroda, he will cost more than what he will give us

10. Dave says:

How is he better than Freddy who is facing AL lineups? Everyone keeps waiting for Freddy to self destruct and it doesn’t happen. Maybe we should stop waiting.

11. infernoscurse says:

if all that would cost kuroda would be a adam warren and a low level prospect and nothing else but money for this year then sure id take him but no long term contract and no big prize prospect for someone who wont really make us any better than we are right now

12. Addison says:

ESPNLosAngeles said on their drive time show today Kuroda wants his deferred money paid upfront, with interest. There was no mention of an extension.

According to the show, Kuroda signed a $12 million deal for this year, but his salary is only eight. He gets a $2 million payment on June 30th in 2012 and 2013.

With the Dodgers financial situation and no guarantee he could get a free agent deal or extension with the deferred payments attached, he decided to request the upfront payment.

Smart move, actually.