Jul

2011 All-Star Game Thread

Now it counts! Seriously, how dumb is it that this glorified exhibition will decide home field advantage in the World Series? I can’t wait for that fifth inning matchup between Aaron Crow and Hunter Pence to decide whether or not the Yankees get to play three or four games in the Bronx come late October, assuming they make it that far of course. Don’t want to jinx it.

That said, the All-Star Game isn’t boring, at least I don’t think so. I just hate that it impacts the World Series. It’s fun to see all the different players and a new pitcher every inning, usually I’m fumbling around MLB.tv to see these guys play, and for this one night they’re all playing in one stadium. That’s pretty cool. Here are your starting lineups…

American League

Brian McCann, C
Lance Berkman, RF
Matt Holliday, LF
Troy Tulowitzki, SS
Scott Rolen, 3B

Roy Halladay, RHP

The full rosters can be seen here. David Robertson and Russell Martin are the only other Yankees actually at the game and eligible to play after Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mariano Rivera, and CC Sabathia backed out. If needed, the two managers have confirmed that Jose Valverde and Brian Wilson will serve as closers, and Valverde apparently rehearsed a new jig should he close out the game. Seriously. Anyway, first pitch is scheduled for 8pm ET and can be seen on FOX. Talk about the game or anything else your heart desires here. Enjoy.

1. Brooklyn Ed says:

Youkilis to Millar: cowboy up means walk off against Yanks at Yank stadium, NOT goofing around. Someone’s mad that Cano beated A-Gon last night.

• first time lawng time says:

Wait. What did Millar say about cowboying up? I’m confused.

• Brooklyn Ed says:

Millar asked Youkilis why was the fans screaming cowboy up to him? Youkilis explained cowboy up to him, since Millar started the whole cowboy up when he was with Boston.

2. Xstar7 says:

over/under: 3 2001 World Series Game 7 references by BuckCarver?

3. first time lawng time says:

This is the dumbest controversy ever. Who gives a shit if Jeter shows up or not? It’s the guy’s 12th selection. People say, “oh the fans want to see him!”. Ummm hello?! They have had the opportunity to watch the past decade and a half in the post season and All star game (and Jeter is far more impressive in the post season than for the 3 innings he plays in a dumb exhibition game). People need to get the fuck over it and look for something else to complain about.

Why should he be required to fly 5(?) hours to Arizona. Wave to the crowd. Then fly 5 hours back to NY. That is so draining and stupid. The guy gets 3000 hits. Big fucking deal. Let him chill with his family and Minka for a few days. Respect his decision.

Also ref: Troy Tulowiski LMAO “Im Jeter’s biggest fan!”

And ref to

• mbonzo says:

One Yankees fan I work with wouldn’t stop complaining about how Jeter wasn’t playing yesterday, he said it was a baseball travesty and he should be ashamed. I told him Jeter doesn’t play for baseball he plays for the Yankees, and I think it takes a greatly humble man to sit out an allstar game and miss out on the limelight of a such personal achievement for the better of his own team. He didn’t say a word, as he shouldn’t.

• bexarama says:

I don’t think Jeter’s particularly humble, and your explanation is likely giving him way too much credit. But I understand him not wanting to play – I understand any player not wanting to play. And if he went and didn’t play, and I saw some talk about him throwing out the first pitch/generally getting celebrated, he’d definitely get slammed for that. I kinda can’t believe this is even a controversy. (And yes, I know I’m giving it attention by talking about it.)

• mbonzo says:

I think the average player would want to be in the allstar game after such a huge milestone. It appears Jeter is not playing so that he can rest and make sure he’s healthy when the season starts back up. To me he’s passing on the standing ovation and praise he’s most likely get from the Arizona crowd so that he could get some extra rest for the Yankees. If I was in his shoes I’d be playing that game simply because the attention would be awesome.

• People (i.e., self-important sportswriters) are pissed because they’re upset that the All Star Game is turning into the NFL Pro Bowl: utterly irrelevant and an uninteresting afterthought.

What they fail to grasp is that the ASG turning into the irrelevant and uninteresting Pro Bowl was pretty much unavoidable. Because (dirty secret!) the ASG is pretty irrelevant and uninteresting.

There’s multiple reasons why the ASG was a bigger, more central showcase event three decades ago (and more) than it is now; reasons such as the scarcity of televised access to MLB games, the lack of interleague play, the lower salaries of ballplayers, lower leverage of ownership, and concurrent lessened financial/competitive detriment if injury to a star player occurs; lack of cable TV fragmentation of viewership and fan interest, etc.

When I was 7, the ASG was appointment viewing because it was my only chance to see some of these great players play and I had nothing else to do.

Today, I can waste my time in a billion new ways and watch 17 hours of Asdrubal Cabrera game footage in HD with three mouse clicks and a credit card number.

Why should I really care about a game that doesn’t count that also doesn’t feel like a real baseball game played between two teams I don’t have a familial loyalty to?

(And yes, it still doesn’t count.)

4. Jonathan Harker says:

It’s an abomination that Jeter isn’t there to tip his cap. That lone gesture would be enough to solve world hunger and Jeter wants no part of it. Disgraceful.

5. mbonzo says:

National league lineup looks a lot better to me.

6. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Bochy picked Brian Wilson as the closer over Joel Hanrahan or Craig Kimbrel. Shocking, I know.

• mbonzo says:

Could be that Brian Wilson is the better closer. Would you pick Kimbrel over Mo based on ERA?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Don’t compare Brian Wilson with Mariano Rivera. That shit it is not even funny. Kimbrel should close.

• vin says:

I bet Mo could grow an even better beard if he wanted to. Never doubt that man.

• mbonzo says:

Thats not the point. Mo and Wilson were pretty much the best closers going into the season. Kimbrel has 66 IP to his name. You’re too enamored by small sample size.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Once again you go with the comparisons. Mo is the greatest of all time while Wilson in just another good closer who hasn’t even been that great this year. I would take Kimbrel tonight over Wilson.

• mbonzo says:

Theres not comparison here. Mariano was the best closer from the AL and Wilson the best from the NL. Sure Mo is the best, but what I’m saying is that a slight difference in ERA over half a season doesn’t make a difference when we’re talking about closers because they don’t pitch enough for their numbers to be significant over a few months. By your logic Valverde should be starting over Mo because he has more saves over the last few months. Thats a joke, its small sample size. Kimbrel is a kid who has a bright future, but Wilson has been the best current NL pitcher over his career and deserves to close despite what a 23 year old has done in a few months.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Mo gets to be the closer because he is Mo and he has legacy and still the best closer regardless of the number of saves. Also, Brian Wilson has been a good closer for all of 2.5 years so that is not what I would call some amazing career. Also, Heath Bell has been as good or better than Wilson for a longer period time. However, I guessing he is going with Wilson because Bochy is the manager and that is fine, but the smart choice is Kimbrel and Bell even before Wilson IMO.

• DCBX says:

He’s gotta go manage the guy for another 10+ weeks after this. Hanrahan and Kimbrel deserve props, but let’s be real.

• steve (different one) says:

I say the same thing as when Torre or Girardi made a “controversial” all-star decision: to the victor goes the spoils.

Win the WS, you get to put one or two of your guys on the team.

No problem with that at all.

7. Kevin G. says:

I would thing Berkman would be more of a prototypical DH than Beltran.

8. dalelama says:

I think it was pretty shitty of Jeter to be a no show especially since he was voted in by the fans.

9. vin says:

Tulo and Cano… pretty talented 8th hitters. Exactly how much power does Joe Torre have with MLB anyway?

• Pat D says:

I think he has the same job that Bob Watson had?

Like, I think he’ll be the one to determine lengths of suspensions and such.

But I’m probably totally wrong on that.

10. Brooklyn Ed says:

Who would had thought that Clippard is an All-Star before Kennedy and Joba?

• YankeesJunkie says:

Not me, but I would have never thought his fastball would go from 88 average in 07 to close to 93 this year. Good for him though.

• DCBX says:

Damn! seriously.

• vin says:

As Clippard, Kennedy, Melky, Axford, Coke, and Dunn have showed, just because a guy isn’t deemed worthy of a 25 man roster spot on the Yankees, doesn’t mean they can’t be valuable to another team. Nor does it mean that the player can’t turn into a good major leaguer.

11. Xstar7 says:

Kruk just called Bruce Bochy “one of the smarter managers you’ll ever have.”

Whatever floats your boat Kruky.

12. Pat D says:

First pitch isn’t scheduled for 8 PM, Mike. It’s probably scheduled for like 8:45. Duh.

Also, what’s the over/under on the amount of times that BuckCarver mention 1) Jeter not being there and 2) the other 3 Yankees not being there?

I’m going with 5 1/2 and 3 1/2.

13. MikeD says:

Is Prince Fielder 5’9″? He looks several inches shorter than Cano, who I think is listed at six foot.

• Xstar7 says:

Prince is 5’11″

• MikeD says:

He is listed at 5’11?. He’s not. For whatever reason, players like to be listed at aleast six foot, so anytime I see a player listed just a little under 5’11?, I’m sure they’re adding an inch or two, but don’t want to go crazy and add three. No way Fielder is more than 5’9? based on that photo next to Cano.

I’d rather have the players list their real heights. More interesting to see “smaller” guys (not that Prince is small by any accounts) to show you don’t have to be tall to play baseball.

14. Mike HC says:

Just saw the season premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and it definitely did not disappoint. Absolutely hilarious. Larry David just gets funnier and funnier over time.

15. Greg says:

Babe Ruth next to Ortiz! Blasphemy!

And Joe Buck has sounded hoarse this year

• Mike HC says:

Definitely. Either that, or the sound system is making him sound like that.

• MikeD says:

From Buck’s Wikipedia entry:

Vocal cord ailment

In 2011, shortly after broadcasting Super Bowl XLV for Fox, Buck developed a virus on the nerves of his left vocal cord. Despite the ailment, which according to Buck “came out of the blue” and has hampered his ability to raise his voice, he has continued to broadcast baseball for Fox during the 2011 season.[20

• Mike HC says:

Nice research. As much as I don’t enjoy listening to Buck, that is too bad for him. Might be time to start mixing in a new go to guy for Fox though.

• MikeD says:

I though he was sounding even more monotone and emotionless on the broadcasts, so I ran across some mentions of his vocal cord issue. As much as I’m not a fan of his baseball broadcasts, I really am not wishing he lose his voice since that’s how he makes his living.

16. Mike c says:

The opening montage had babe ruth standing next to big papi… What a crock of shit, glad jeter didn’t go to this garbage

17. Greg says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

18. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

HA! Buck FAIL!!

19. steve (different one) says:

The real reason for the Jeter-flap:

Every sportswriter in America wrote articles in advance blasting A-Rod for skipping the All-Star game. When he elected surgery, they realized they couldn’t use them, but no one wanted to waste all that eloquent prose. A few search and replaces, and boom, Jeter roasted.

20. YankeesJunkie says:

Just for the lulz here is the wiki for the 2011 World Cup of American Football. Guess who is dominating?!?!?

21. Mike HC says:

Did Robertson have to show ID to get into the stadium?

22. Brooklyn Ed says:

of course the Yanks gets booed in Arizona.

23. Brooklyn Ed says:

dudes…Johnny Venters looks old. Looks like a 10 year vetern.

24. IRF says:

Arizona was completely unaware of who to cheer and who to boo.

25. Mike HC says:

I’m pretty sure that Brian Wilson is more scary awkward than funny. Not sure why people think he is funny. Maybe they are too scared to have any other reaction.

26. Pastadivingarod says:

Did the fox guy ask cano what the yankees have to do to catch boston?
    One game back?..
    Hate fox

27. Mike HC says:

I think all of the mainstream media love for the Red Sox has turned much of the country against them much like the Yanks.

• Greg says:

Boston fans have to accept that they are the bad guys now. Although the Red Sox still havre ESPN in their pocket.

28. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

DH rules in an NL ballpark. Is this a first for an AS game?

29. Pastadivingarod says:

Jered
    Going to get bombed tonight.

30. Pastadivingarod says:

Where double duece ?
    Philipi missing a camera opertunity.

31. Greg says:

When will these singers learn to just sing the damn anthem straight and not flutter!

32. Greg says:

Interesting Joe said that last part straight in Arizona.

33. Cuso says:

My God, McBuck only had all year to prepare for the opening segment…

Two syllables in & already a clusterf*ck

34. IRF says:

Geez. They make it sound like the AL has Sidney Ponson and Kyle Davies relieving Weaver.

35. erik says:

did joe buck really just say mo is closing the game??

36. Jerome S. says:

As meh as Washington can be at times, Bochy’s awfullness basically guarantees this for the AL.

37. Cuso says:

Over/Under 2.5: number of ‘Moneyball’ trailers tonight?

38. Xstar7 says:

First pitch swingin’

39. Cuso says:

Curtis, we hardly knew ye…

40. Pastadivingarod says:

I wonder how many inning doc goes

He really is the best in the game

41. MikeD says:

Second batter up, Jeter not being at the game already mentioned.

42. jon says:

how can anyone really vote agon MVP over joey bats?

43. Greg says:

I actually want the NL to win because I know we can win in an NL Park, but the Red Sox cant as shown in interleague play (except agaisnt the Astros)

44. Xstar7 says:

Jose Bautista is the first half AL MVP you fucktards.

45. YankeesJunkie says:

CGSO for Halladay. Heard it here first.

46. Pat D says:

Jeter not there mention and “no question” AGon is the MVP in the top of the 1st.

Yea, I think I’ll only be flipping to this game for the rest of the night. If I miss something, oh well.

47. Cuso says:

They should spice up this game by having Weaver start throwing apples in the 2nd inning.

48. IRF says:

Quick! How many times can you incorrectly say that Agon is the MVP?

49. YankeesJunkie says:

A-Gon clear first half MVP: Obvious troll obvious

50. Pastadivingarod says:

Weavers brother was one of the worst Cashman signings ever. Jeff was a steaming pile of crap as a yankee.

51. Cuso says:

both Florida teams is the answer

52. mbonzo says:

Roy Halladay reminds me a lot of David Robertson with insane command.

53. Pastadivingarod says:

Why is drob in?

54. IRF says:

Drob instead of Beckett because of an injury?

This is incredible

55. Xstar7 says:

David Robertson is in the game already? Wow, this AL team is depleted.

56. BigTimeBartolo says:

hahaha i would be so happy if Josh Beckett got hurt at the All star game. I’m hoping he tore his ACL warming up

57. Cuso says:

enter my conspiracy theory about Washington abusing D-Rob….

where are ya, Bexy?

58. Pastadivingarod says:

Foul
    Nice call Buck! Lol

59. MikeD says:

AL first-half MVP makes great catch.

60. YankeesJunkie says:

That can’t be good for the Red Sox.

Also, why the hell did Weaver only go one inning?

61. BigTimeBartolo says:

Damnn Bautista just earned a small notch of respect for me there

• Greg says:

It happened. You cant change it.

• Mike Axisa says:

Doesn’t mean you have to repeat the same mistake either.

History repeats itself.

• I still don’t even know what this “Kirk Gibson 1988″ reference even means, vis-a-vis Gonzo v. Joey Bats 2011.

Kirk Gibson in 1988 lead the NL in bWAR, despite having FEWER homers and RBI and a LOWER batting average than some of the other contenders (i.e. Will Clark, Andy Van Slyke, Darryl Strawberry, Andres Gallaraga).

In this argument, Kirk Gibson is the proxy for the rightful winner based on sound statistical representations of true production (Bautista), not the incorrect selection based on flawed counting stats and outmoded statistical models (Gonzo).

Greg is arguing against his own case.

• Greg says:

What I meant about Kirk Gibson is that at the time, most people believe and still believe to this day, that that was an absolutely stupid choice for MVP.

The least statistical person can win the MVP.

In that case, becasue people didnt know bWAR at the time, it had to do with the fact that the Dodgers winning the NL West.

• And again, that would argue that Joey Bats can win over Adrian Gonzalez, because he’s the “least statistical” person.

And the people who believe Gibson was a stupid choice for MVP are wrong, Gibson had an excellent season and was a perfectly justifiable choice in 1988.

• Greg says:

What I’m saying is that the record of a team is an important aspect in choosing an MVP.

While Gibson was statistically inferior, his team won the NL West.

• Mike Axisa says:

I don’t understand why you’re rewarding/punishing a player for things beyond his control (his teammates, front office decisions, etc).

• Greg says:

Because that’s what happens.

Only one person in 80-90 years has won the MVP on a last place team. (Ernie Banks).

It might be wrong, but that’s the thinking.

• Andre Dawson, 1987. Cal Ripken, 1991. Alex Rodriguez, 2003.

• first time lawng time says:

I agree with this
                      Although the argument you could make for a great player on a crap team gettig snubbed is, “If his team can get third with him, how was he valuable?”

That argument also affects teams like the Yankees and Red Sox who are full of great players. For these the players can get snubbed if you have the mindset, “Well look Gobzalez’s teammates. He’s on a great team. They probably make the playoffs without him. How was he valuable?@

• CP says:

Just because ‘that’s what happens’ doesn’t mean that you have to agree with the decision.

Why do YOU think that a player’s teammates should impact their chances of winning an MVP?

• Gibson’s team winning the NL West was probably the tiebreaker amongst several good and similar candidates that year.

If Tom Brunansky would have hit .334/.468/.702 with 50+ homers, 35+ doubles, and 350+ times on base in 1988, though, he probably would have beaten Kirk Gibson, even coming from a shitty, fourth place Cardinals team.

After all, Andre Dawson won the exact same award from a last place Cubs team just the year before.

• Greg says:

That Dawson pick is weird considering his BA, his WAR and his RS.

Now before I get called a hippocrit, I think Sabermetrics can help, but they are not the be all and end all

• Again, Greg:

Sabermetrics is not a roster-building strategy. What the A’s did under Billy Beane is not “sabermetrics”.

Sabermetrics is a revolution in player evaluation to better capture on-field value with a better collection of statistical measures. It’s not something the A’s developed or spearheaded. It’s just something they used.

The A’s under Beane (as described in Moneyball) used the theory that the baseball market undervalued certain assets to try and find good players that were likely to be underpaid, to build an effective roster cheaply.

Any success or failure they had in that endeavor is not a validation or criticism of sabermetric stats like OBP or wOBA or wRC+ or WAR, because they’re not the same things.

• first time lawng time says:

This whole argument is STUPID. We all know who the MVP will be:

Eduardo Nuñez.

Unless Golson gets called up this week. Then things will get interesting. THEN we can have this great debate.

62. Justin says:

Joe Buck shows way too much emotion while broadcasting. He really needs to tone it down. /s

63. Zooboy says:

That Beckett is sooo selfish. Totally disrespecting the fans by not sucking it up and pitching.

64. MikeD says:

Surpsised Weaver only went one inning. Is Washington going one pitcher per inning?

65. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

David Robinson = Brandon Arroyo

66. Pastadivingarod says:

The puma lost a lot of weight

67. mbonzo says:

DROB AND CANO!

68. jon says:

way to stay with him cano

69. Karl Krawfid says:

lol Lance

70. MikeD says:

Okay, he was tagged out like four times after he overslid the bag.

71. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

DRob is a true Second Inning Guy.

72. medale says:

David Robertson: 2nd Inning Guy!

73. Cuso says:

Berkman musta thought this was like the Pro Bowl where they don’t tackle here.

No, Lance, we don’t ‘pretend’ to apply tags at the AS game.

74. Jerome S. says:

Agree/Disagree: K. Olbermann’s baseball analysis is terrible.

• tom says:

He knows alot, but he seems — since last year — to have invested deeply in the idea that the Yankees are on the verge of complete collapase, so on that matter alone I find it difficult to keep reading him.

75. mbonzo says:

Anyone get the feeling that Torre is gonna take over for Selig after 2012?

76. Pastadivingarod says:

Big sloppy FAIL

77. Xstar7 says:

The Phillies lost that game where Lee hit that home run.

78. bonestock94 says:

Oh good

79. Dennis says:

God I hate lee.

80. Pastadivingarod says:

Here comes thenjeter slam

81. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Yay another Jeter isn’t at the ASG reference.

82. Dino Velvet says:

Leave it to Fox to find a way to bash the Yankees at the ASG.

83. Pastadivingarod says:

Pineda can go triple digits on the gun

84. BklynJT says:

… man seriously.. stop it already

85. Xstar7 says:

Oh boy, here we go with Derek Jeter again. Fuck you, BuckCarver.

86. Pastadivingarod says:

Wow slamming jeter that three references so far

87. mbonzo says:

Dare they mention that Jeter and Mo are nursing injuries. CC was snubbed until the last second.

88. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Joe Buck, Please shut up.

89. Cuso says:

The bottom of the 3rd is designated as ‘Bury the Captain’ segment

90. YankeesJunkie says:

Been a pretty quick game so far.

91. mbonzo says:

I love how everyone complained that Jeter made the allstar team, they said he didn’t deserve to be there. Now that he doesn’t go they get all pissed.

92. BklynJT says:

LOL Jeter didnt show up for Gene Monahan’s retirement party either. Class Act

/Media’d

93. BigTimeBartolo says:

Who would you rather have, Pineda or Strasburg

94. mt says:

This missed “national celebration” stuff for Jeter is so over done and hypocritical – AZ crowd would have booed all the Yankees but then cheer Jeter cause he is “different”. Jeter is ultimate Yankee – why shouldn’t he be booed, too?

AZ, take your cheers and shove them.

Also all these same people saying Jeter had to go were also complaining about him being selected in the first place.

95. Mike Axisa says:

Curtis Granderson is so awesome.

96. Cuso says:

Curtis I love u so much more now!

97. Xstar7 says:

Suck it Cliff Lee.

98. YankeesJunkie says:

For tonight I heart A-Gon.

99. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Ha. Fuck you Cliff Lee.

100. Dennis says:

What are pineda’s #’s compared to dellin in AA especially the BB.
    <—2 lazy 2 look up.

101. Pastadivingarod says:

Cliff lee lovebtakes a big hit
    Good job agon you dirt bag

102. Dino Velvet says:

PeteABe must be swooning.

103. pat says:

“WE ONLY DO IT WEN IT COUNTS”

-Sawx fans

104. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Lol Prince

105. Justin says:

I’d be cheering for A-Gon more right now if FOX wasn’t giving him a verbal bj from the first second the camera was on him.

106. mbonzo says:

Cliff Lee’s team is too old for him to play on. Its not fair.

107. Bombers says:

Has anyone seen jeter??? Rumor has it he didn’t make the trip for the game?? :)

• CP says:

I do find it interesting that 4 of the 5 guys that were selected but are missing the game were Yankees (Mo, CC, Jeter and A-Rod).

Not that I care, but I find it interesting.

108. Karl Krawfid says:

Cliff Lee giving up the run and base runners felt so damn good.

109. Cuso says:

Clippard, huh? yikes

110. Jerome S. says:

Knowing Bochy, I expect the most batshit insane guy to come out of the pen. He will also somehow make all of his closers pitch the ninth.

111. Pastadivingarod says:

Ha ha lee pulled in a ASG
    Wifey going to need another scoop of icecream

112. bonestock94 says:

AGon is too awesome to hate

113. IRF says:

I thought Billy Beane wrote Moneyball

/Joe Morgan’d

114. Karl Krawfid says:

Rangers third base coach fails again

115. pat says:

It would be nice to have Clippard, Melancon and Dunn @ their current performance levels in the bullpen right now.

Holy shit Pence as a rocket. Bautista shoulda Rose’d McCann

116. BklynJT says:

The guy had the ball as Bautista hit 3rd base.. Why in the world would they send him!!!

117. tom says:

Pete Rose would have put the catcher in the hospital. Today’s ballplayers are wusses.

118. Pastadivingarod says:

That dammed pompus Jeter he probley wont show up for his hall of fame ceremony either

Willie Mays

119. Cuso says:

Jeter woulda made that play

120. Pastadivingarod says:

Jeter would have had that

121. IRF says:

Ok Justin Timberlake had to be joking right?

122. Justin says:

I think Timberlake is drunk hahaha.

123. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

This is the man who Washington picked over CC, folks

124. pat says:

Can we sign Wilson and then Hamels? That would be nice. F yo couch posers!

125. Pastadivingarod says:

Wilson getting bombed here
    Yeah rangers

126. Greg says:

The people of Memphis have no taste apparently in commentating.

127. IRF says:

“Beer is really the perfect food”

- http://www.tmz.com/2011/06/08/.....mondbacks/

128. Mike HC says:

Joe Buck has turned into everybody’s whipping boy.

129. Cuso says:

Ron Washington: CJ Wilson > CC Sabathia

Rick James: Cocaine’s a helluva drug

130. YankeesJunkie says:

CJ Wilson can go suck a cock.

131. Xstar7 says:

CJ Wilson is stinking up the place.

132. Dennis says:

True all star. Hahahaha

133. BklynJT says:

This is the same CJ wilson that was selected over CC right???

134. Karl Krawfid says:

Now Lee’s boyfriend is getting crushed. I love dis.

135. BigTimeBartolo says:

Bah, fucking CJ Wilson…

136. mbonzo says:

Way to go Wilson. Who woulda thought?

137. Total Dominication says:

Uhg

138. Tom Zig says:

That just cost CJ Wilson some money this offseason

139. bill says:

Turn a smile upside down? What an idiot.

140. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Cocaine’s a HELLUVA drug, Ron.

141. mbonzo says:

Michael Kay makes Joe Buck look like Helen Keller.

142. Cuso says:

I wonder when ‘mainstream’ media will realize that Ron Washington is a not an idiot savant, he’s just a dumb f*ck

143. Pastadivingarod says:

Didnt think it wasposible but wilson is making me forget how badnhughes was last Asg

144. first time lawng time says:

What happened with Justin Timberlake? I’m clicking back and forth. (and, yes, I find this thread more amusing than the actual game)

145. MikeD says:

Why was CJ in there pitching?

146. Xstar7 says:

Coca Cola >>> Pepsi

147. Dennis says:

We should be voting for starting managers next year.

148. Esteban says:

Must be fucking awesome to have a (good) baseball player for a dad.

149. Cuso says:

Papi’s wife fucked the milkman….can u blame her?

150. Mike Axisa says:

Clayton Kershaw is so good. So so good.

• Greg says:

I was thinking about how much of a package that we could use to pry him away from the Dodgers.

I dont think its going to happen, but a man can dream.

Speaking of the Dodgers, how about the Juan Rivera move?

• mbonzo says:

Probably gonna take Banuelos, Montero, and a younger guy like Williams. We’d also probably have to take on some big contracts. No idea why the Dodgers would even do that.

151. Greg says:

Yeah dont talk about the replacements McCarver. Talk about David Ortiz’s cute kid.

152. Pastadivingarod says:

Big sloppy FAIL

153. Pat D says:

Wow, I just read all of that MVP stuff between Greg and tsjc.

Chill, both of you.

You’re both right. If AGon and Joey Bats continue on their current paths, and their teams do likewise, AGon probably will win the MVP. Why? Because that is how BBWAA voters have traditionally voted.

HOWEVER!

In that same scenario, AGon should not win the MVP, Joey Bats should.

And who knows? Maybe the guys who are picked to vote for AL MVP this year show continued evolution that the last few years’ worth of awards have shown.

• But the A’s didn’t win, therefore, wRC+ is a bullshit stat and, thus, Adrian Gonzalez has been a more productive player than Joey Bautista, who is Canadian.

Q.E.D.

• MikeD says:

I liked Klaw’s tweet when the FOX broadcasters said Adrian Gonzalez was the unquestionably the first-half MVP:

keithlaw

OH MY GOD THEY DID NOT JUST SAY THAT

• The fact that Buck and McCarver wholeheartedly agree with Greg should give him pause.

• Greg says:

I had this opinion before Buck and McCarver made their statements. Its how I honestly feel.

And putting those two next to my name is an insult upon insults.

• Then perhaps you should do something to distance yourself from them.

You can start by learning what Michael Lewis’s book “Moneyball” was really all about.

• Pat D says:

It was about a ball made of money, right?

• Greg says:

I get the fact that a team with no money used a new system to win alot of games. And the fact that this system is now used by alot of teams. But ALONE this system has not won a champioship. Integrating this system along with old fanshioned baseball know how is the way to go. RBI’s and BA are still valuable, otherwise why do we still measure them?

• Pat D says:

Because there is this group of people called “traditionalists” who just don’t go away and won’t give up on those stats mattering.

• IRF says:

There is no “system”. Its not some secret, complex code that you just plug into a computer to win a lot of games. Its simply a way of getting the most bang for your buck by exploiting a particular skill thats underutilized by most of the league. 10 years ago that was OBP, thats no longer the case though.

• Esteban says:

WTF does ALONE mean? Scouting will always be useful, and NO ONE DENIES THIS (/simmons’d), especially in the minor leagues where statistics tell less of the story due to talent and age variances. Scouting will always be a part of the game, what is less a part of the game is using numbers like RBIs and Wins to determine the value of major leaguers. And that’s a good thing.

(You know the arguments why RBIs, BA, pitcher wins are not very good stats, right?)

RBIs, and pitcher WIns are used because of convention, not because they’re accurate representatives of the talent/value/contributins of players. Those were some of the first stats counted, and baseball is a game of traditional and is very resistant to change. Jeff Francouer said something like “If OBP is so important, then how come it’s not on the scoreboard?” Now it’s on the scoreboard in most stadiums.

• Pat D says:

I can’t wait to read “The Wit and Wisdom of Jeff Francouer.”

It’ll be as funny as the Chuck Norris Facts books, I’m sure.

• MikeD says:

Gonzalez is leading the league clearly in one category. Grounding in to double plays. He’s on pace for nearly 40 this year. Bautista leads in getting on base, while Gonzalez…

• Guest says:

Totally correct.

But, I can totally understand the frustration over people failing to grasp the idea that the games best player is, by definition, the games most valuable player. It’s tautological. Kind of like saying a tall person is not short.

But for some reason…the debate rages on.

• first time lawng time says:

Cano or Posada get my votes. Personally, those are my choices.

• Xstar7 says:

Definitely Posada. He’s got the advantage in GRIT factor.

• first time lawng time says:

Puerto Ricans (or any Hispanics for that matter) aren’t gritty, though.

• Xstar7 says:

“That’s why it will be tough to decide between Agon and Bautista; neither of them are gritty.”

Agon plays for the Red Sox. Automatic grittiness

• Cuso says:

Evolution?! The AL MVP last year played in only 133 games.

What you call evolution, I call regression.

• tom says:

The evolution’s been mainly in the Cy Young voting.

I’m with the Bautista consensus here, but my bet is the writers will go for the time-honored Guy Who Helps You Win a Division choice.

• Cuso says:

Ok, I can see it somewhat in King Felix as Cy Young because of his peripherals. But an MVP playing in only 133 games in a division that was won in Mid-May? Sorry, not buying it.

The “uplifting story” of his life made him the “MVP,” not a .359 average.

• Pat D says:

Yea, and he still put up the numbers he did. And his bWAR was still 3rd best, so, ya know, imagine if he had played another 20 games or so.

• Cuso says:

He could’ve played worse, brought any of those statistics down as well.

Those 20 games don’t necessarily improve his stats.

But most pressing is that his “value” were only to his statistical line. NOT to fending off divisional foes, NOT to winning a division, NOT to being integral in the field. Borboun was an excellent defensive replacenent.

Hamilton didn’t win b/c of wOBA no matter who couches it that way.

• Esteban says:

I was arguing with people on ESPN about Bautista being better than AGon. Looks like I was arguing with Greg. Of course, part of being valuable means having good teammates. If you have bad teammates, then you’re obviously not very good. Eduardo Nunez >>>>>>>> Starlin Castro.

154. first time lawng time says:

OMG Joe Buck. It’s not “Dee-Angelo.”. It’s pronounced “Dan-gelo”

With the apostrophe, you just roll everything together.

• first time lawng time says:

Actually, yes you do. In Italian (or any language for that matter), when there is an apostrophe, you just o with it. You combin everything.

• MikeD says:

My family name used to have an apostrophe in it, but it was dropped eventually after they passed through Ellis Island. Nothing got “rolled together” when it had the apostrophe, but it did after it was dropped.

• first time lawng time says:

What?

Take Italy’s national anthem for example: “Fratelli d’Italia”

It’s not pronounced “Dee-eetahleea”; it’s pronounced “dee-tahleea”. Since Italia starts with a vowel, you don’t say “di Italia” you say “d’Italia”. You combine it, because Italian is a very smooth and flowy language.

And the expression, “there is.”. In Italian, it is c’è. It’s “ci” and “è” put together. You don’t pronounce it “chi” “eh” though. You combine it so it’s “Che” (the “c” is pronounced like the “ch” in cheese, not the “ch” in Chris).

Lamb is “L’angello”. There is a vowel,so instead of saying “il lagnello” you say “l’agnello”

• first time lawng time says:

Actually, if you want to get even more technical, it’s pronounced “Dahn-gelo”

• Esteban says:

Wait, who are we talking about? FWIW, there are lots of people who have D’Angelo for a first name who are not Italian and don’t pronounce it the ‘Italian’ way.

• first time lawng time says:

And many people don’t correctly pronounce names that are culturally diverse.

For example, idiots calling up Francesa to talk about Javy would say “Vaz-kwez” instead of “Vas-kez”

The chocolate company, Ghiradelli is “Gee-ra-deh-lee”. The “g” is hard and to be pronounced like it is in “gate” not soft as it it in “giant”. In Italian, if a “g” ones before “e” or “I” it is soft, unless there Is an “h” between them. Same goes with “c”

• You don’t need to be Italian to have that name. It is an Italian name, so I feel it should be pronounced the proper Italian way.

By an Italian, sure. And even then, not always.

Names pass from language to language, though, and get appropriated by the new language to be whatever they choose it to be.

Language is malleable.

If he wants it pronounced “Dee-ANGEL-o”, that’s how it’s pronounced.

• first time lawng time says:

Well, Buck is wrong. In my opinion, cultural names should be pronounced in the same way they would be by the native language. If you want it pronounced Dee-angel-o, don’t spell it with a damn apostrophe. Apostrophes take away syllables/vowels.

IDK how Ortiz pronounces it, but Buck got it wrong.

155. Xstar7 says:

OMG THE HR DERBY SCREWED UP CANO’S SWING!!!1!1!1!1!1!11!!!

156. ItsATarp says:

Stacking lefties…greatt idea

157. IRF says:

I feel like Eric Karros has to say “talk to me” a lot.

158. Mike HC says:

These former player sideline reporters are absolutely awful. FOX should think about scrapping that. Hire some hot women or something.

159. Pastadivingarod says:

Dammed looks like the yankees are going to have to start the WS in philly have to win it in 5 i guess.

160. mbonzo says:

Cano and Granderson are out? Then so am I.

161. Pastadivingarod says:

Wtf is this pitching?

162. Cuso says:

This Walden dude has an arm, huh?

163. deron says:

Some All-Star Trivia:

What do John Olerud and John Burkett have in common? 8 other All-Star player pairs share a similar common bond.

164. Hall and Nokes says:

Wait a minute, is Tyler Clippard the pitcher of record? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

165. Gio says:

Wait: Scott Rolen is an All-Star?

166. Pastadivingarod says:

Wow i miss cervelli

167. YankeesJunkie says:

Thanks AL West for being awful. If the AL wanted to win this game it should have been limited to AL East players.

168. Pat D says:

I’m really hoping that Beckett really fucked up his knee, but after just seeing him sitting in the dugout, I guess we’re not that lucky.

169. Dino Velvet says:

Jeter’s action is so outrageous, it may cost him first ballot induction into the HOF

/yankee-hating-media’d

170. first time lawng time says:

I feel defense is very tough to measure statistically.

Think of it this way: if a ball goes to a player, then he should make that play, right? Well, the problem is that who dictates where the player should be standing? The numbers, in my opinion, do not take into account where the player is located when the ball is put into play.

I really don’t understand how you can use numbers when calculating a person’s defensive capabilities. Also, we witnessed a game against the Brewers in which they played a sloppy game, but there was not one error.

• jon says:

I dont get it either

its easy to measure where a ball is, and how a person gets there but every ball hit is at a different speed, every player plays in a little different position there are just so many variables

• CP says:

It doesn’t matter where he starts, it just matters where he is when he gets to (or misses) the ball.

For example, a SS that moves better to his left would tend to shade hitters more to his right. The fact that he shifts one way or the other shouldn’t really come into play as long as he makes the play.

If you’re a GM and trading for someone, then it’s more complicated because positioning is something that is simple to correct/change, but that’s different than fans trying to compare players.

171. Pastadivingarod says:

Walden and wilson
    Where are these guys
    Danks burley lirano,pavano verlander price shields romero colon gonzales

172. Wil Nieves Number 1 Fan says:

Heath Bell rocks.

173. jon says:

lol those kids had no idea who heath bell was

174. Greg says:

Badass by Molina.

Tip of the cap and then smokes one to left.

175. bill says:

What happened to Ken Singelton? Haven’t heard him in the booth in a while.

176. Xstar7 says:

This game has officially become unwatchable.

177. Pat D says:

Hey, Perez, you fucking douche, this game counts and you’re down 3 fucking runs.

STOP SMILING!!!

178. Pastadivingarod says:

I was expecting to hear joe bucks cancer speach end with a jeter slam
    And its all Jeters fault.

179. Tyler Clippard will get the win if it all holds up.

That just shows how asinine the stat is.

180. Greg says:

BY the way here is a sentence from wikipedia on Moneyball

“Its focus is the team’s modernized, analytical, SABERMETRIC, approach to assembling a competitve baseball team, despite Oakland’s disadvantaged revenue situation”

• Stratman9652 says:

Use your head. Calling a team’s approach sabermetric in those days didn’t take much. It’s not like the A’s just went out and ignored everything traditional and literally pick a team using nothing but computers. You won’t find anyone here who says that sabermetrics are the end all be all and the only stats that matter.

Furthermore… what is your point? Because they didn’t go 162-0 sabermetrics are wrong?

• Greg says:

They didnt win a WS with sabermetrics.

• CP says:

But other teams did.

• Stratman9652 says:

So sabermetrics are wrong?

News flash… The A’s are not the only team to use sabermetrics. There are actually teams that have won the WS using sabermetrics. I hate to use the example, but the Red Sox are a team that is know for incorporating sabermetrics.

Again you completely miss the point. Sabermetrics are not there to replace, or prove wrong, traditional statistics. They are an aid to tell a more complete story, thus allowing GM’s to make a more educated decision using all the information available to them. And I can almost promise you no team including the A’s has ever said “Sabermetrics are the only set of information we are going to use”

• Greg:

A.) Read the damn book. Stop speaking about it from ignorance. It’s not about the A’s using sabermetrics as a way to build a team, it’s about the A’s using sabermetrics to help them find players who were good that conventional statistics didn’t think were good as a player acquisition strategy.

B.) Any success or failure acheived by the Oakland A’s in the late 1990s/early 2000s is not an indictment of modern sabermetric statistics (many of which were not even in vogue a decade ago during the timeframe of that book) as a useful or non-useful way of evaluating whether Jose Bautista is better than Adrian Gonzalez in 2011. The two have literally nothing at all to do with each other. That concept you keep adhering to is beyond fucking asinine.

Billy Beane using OBP to pursue Scott Hatteberg a decade ago has nothing at all to do with the reality that Jose Bautista is slugging .702 and Adrian Gonzalez is slugging .591.

181. Xstar7 says:

Quit sucking Youkilis’s nuts Buck, the only reason Youkilis is even here is because of A-Rod’s bum knee.

182. King George says:

Just browsing around and I saw the Reds and Rockies have bounced around the idea of Ubaldo going to Cincy. Do you guys think the Yankees would inquire? You’d have to think the Yanks would have more to offer for Ubaldo than the Reds, no?

183. Stratman9652 says:

So what are the odds Kimbrel’s arm falls off before the end of the season?

• Hall and Nokes says:

Quite strong. Problem is, Venters is overused too. Braves play in way too many close games because of their lack of offense.

184. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Jeter would’ve hit a tying home run there.

185. ItsATarp says:

AL West showing why they aren’t very good

186. Cuso says:

God! Stop trying to jazz every anthem up! Sounds awful!

187. Greg says:

Bochy is owning Washington in this game. Just like the WS

188. mbonzo says:

2 injuries in this game and they wonder why the injured Jeter and Mo don’t want to play.

189. Dino Velvet says:

Given tonight’s pitching staffs, they should rename the game the Almost All-Star game.

190. bonestock94 says:

Button your damn shirts, Seattle

191. Pastadivingarod says:

Ogando up now wow no chance now.
    Hey weiders you have to go get the ball

192. Dino Velvet says:

Have Buck/McCarver managed to work in a reference to 2004??

193. Stratman9652 says:

“Catchers are used to hitting against pitchers and not catching”

/ShitMcCarverSays

194. Jerome S. says:

Could we all stop going nuts over Starlin Castro??

195. Greg says:

So Walden, Wilson and League failed

196. BklynJT says:

Why are there so many relievers in this year’s All star team?

Kinda like how they chose CJ over CC… I guess Ron Washington prefers second rate pitchers.

197. Dennis says:

Al west should have their playoff spot removed.

198. first time lawng time says:

People need to chill out and lighten up a bit. If Greg thinks Agon should win the MVP thus far, fine! That’s his opinion. It’s not a big deal. He is entitled to his own opinions. There’s no reason to get worked up over it. If he doesn’t agree with Sabermetrics (or whatever it was he said about it) it’s not a big deal.

And as for his opinion on Moneyball, if that’s how he interpretted it, fine. With books, everyone interprets them differently. (that’s why English is kind of a bullshit subject in the sense that there really is no right or wrong answer).

People, let’s all relax.

Also, Agon has been damn good this year. It’s not like he’s arguing for, say, Dustin Pedroia or Derek Jeter.

• Jerome S. says:

First of all, MVP = Most Valuable Player. Not “second most valuable” or “one of the most valuable”, just, “the most valuable”.

Second, we’re waging war over a random dude named Greg shitstarting. He’s the new Gavrilo Princip.

• Greg says:

I’m not a troll. Whatever I say is my honest opinion. I’m not looking to intentionally make people miserable.

• Jerome S. says:

I didn’t say you were. You’re a Gavrilo Princip. He wasn’t a troll. He’s a fucking national hero/criminal of the century (depends how you look at it).

• bonestock94 says:

The constant oversight of Bautista is a tough pill to swallow when he’s been so insanely good the past season and a half. AGon is a amazing but Bautista isn’t human.

• And as for his opinion on Moneyball, if that’s how he interpretted it, fine. With books, everyone interprets them differently.

No. Greg isn’t “misinterpreting” Moneyball, he’s flat out making shit up about it. Because he hasn’t read it and doesn’t get the point it was making, at all, which is plainly obvious in his blatantly incorrect statements about it.

If I say that the Bible is all about Allah’s love for the Shi’ites, that’s not “misinterpreting” the Bible.

199. Pastadivingarod says:

Where are
    Farnsworth,paplbon,gregg,sale,capps

200. Cuso says:

Jeter, Mo & CC are making a point.

East Coast bias, you say? OK, American League….try to win without us, b!tches.

201. Cuso says:

THE GREATEST

202. Xstar7 says:

Heath Bell’s entrance is almost as epic as Mo’s.

203. mbonzo says:

“Please just get me the hell out of SD. I’ll do anything even pinch run, watch me sliiiiiiiiide.”

-Heath Bell

204. Greg says:

Any thoughts on the Dodgers getting Juan Rivera?

205. Cuso says:

Ogando is gonna get lit up

206. YankeesJunkie says:

Oh great Ogando facing good pitching always means good news right!

207. first time lawng time says:

I believe Felix desered it, I’m just wondering what your arguments are

• mbonzo says:

I did this once, and even provided a disclaimer… not a good idea.

• Jerome S. says:

Justin Verlander and Francisco Liriano pitched better than him, but didn’t get the innings. Unlike the Bautista v. A-Gon argument, it was close. If they gave the award to Verlander (who was really the best competition)(also they wouldn’t have) I wouldn’t have argued.

But Bautista is so much better than the rest of the league, it’s fucking mind boggling. One might even venture to call it mind-bottling.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Because he’s better than the two. I’m probably going to have to duck.

• Xstar7 says:

“If Cy Young means most valuable pitcher, why did Hernandez win instead of CC or Price?”

Because he flat-out pitched better than both of them. Regardless of only 13 wins (which can be traced to the awful run support he got, and wins are a silly stat anyway) and his team not making the playoffs.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Depends what you mean by value if your definition value was he gave the most value to a team it was actually Justin Verlander, but since Verlander’s ERA was over a run higher than King Felix Felix got the award.

More specifically by value I mean how many more wins did that player earn for a team than replacement level.

• If Cy Young means most valuable pitcher, why did Hernandez win instead of CC or Price?

Pitcher A: 249.2 IP of 2.27/3.04/3.14 E/F/x, 3.31 K/BB
      Pitcher B: 237.2 IP of 3.18/3.54/3.63 E/F/x, 2.66 K/BB
      Pitcher C: 208.2 IP of 2.72/3.42/3.83 E/F/x, 2.38 K/BB

Which pitcher do you want?

• Matt says:

Nothing about the Cy Young requires the pitcher to be the “most valuable.”

The award is for the best pitcher by performance, and that was Felix Hernandez last year. You can make all of the arguments you want about FIP, but that is more about predicting future success than assessing current value.

The bottom line is that Felix Hernandez, by current, and not hypothetical future performance, was by far the best pitcher in the AL last year. He had a 2.27 ERA and threw quality starts in 29 of his 34 outings. His 13 wins are irrelevant because he got almost no run support.

You can say that he was lucky, but the bottom line is that he still got the best results, and did it without the benefit of run support.

He might not have had the best peripherals in every category, but his actual performance was simply the best.

208. Dino Velvet says:

This game is gonna have low ratings and I blame Jeter.

seriously, the lack of star pitching is making this game dull. No Beard, no verlander, no CC, no Big-Time-Timmy-Jim.

• Xstar7 says:

No A-Rod, Price, Mariano, Jose Reyes, the list goes on. This All-Star game just sucked.

• YankeesJunkie says:

AL West: 1
      NL:5

Fuck the rest of the AL!

This how the playoffs should be set up in the AL East

Red Sox/Yankees vs. Blue Jays
      Red Sox/Yankees v. Rays

Watch the ratings pour in because whatever crap the AL Central and Rangers put out is terrible baseball.

209. Cy Pettitte says:

NO MARTIN??!?

210. Xstar7 says:

SCRUBlin Castro

211. Jerome S. says:

I may hate the Red Sox, but I bet they could take on the entire NL and AL West and Central division all-stars and win.

Same goes for the Yankees.

212. Cy Pettitte says:

good job Cuddyer.

not.

213. Xstar7 says:

RISP fail

And Tyler Clippard getting the win is the funniest shit I’ve heard all day.

214. really bud? says:

yo fuck ron washington. this homer put his guy (cj wilson) in and he gives up a tater to prince fielder. damn, now the yanks have to win the ws in 5 games in order for the home fans to see it.

/death by cocaine

215. Cuso says:

B-dubs just called Karros’ hairstyle ‘immaculate’ in the post-game interview.

Classic

216. Stratman9652 says:

Best part of the ASG… We got to see DRob instead of Beckett.

217. NHYankeesFan says:

This may have been the most boring all star game ever

218. Brooklyn Ed says:

SI_JonHeyman: Krod to brewers

no point of the trade?

219. chris says:

hazel mae lookin sexy as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck