Jul

Rothschild: Colon not hurt, just apprehensive

Via Andrew Marchand, pitching coach Larry Rothschild said that Bartolo Colon‘s hamstring is healthy, but the right-hander is still apprehensive about re-aggravating the injury. It was pretty obvious that Colon wasn’t 100% last night, he wasn’t moving well and it didn’t look like he was pushing off with his usual effort. This is something that he really should have gotten over with a rehab start, and unfortunately bringing players back from injury too soon has become something of a pattern for the Yankees. Remember Chien-Ming Wang in 2009 (hurried back after Joba Chamberlain took a line drive off his leg), Colon, possibly Phil Hughes

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. crawdaddie says:

Yeah, Yankees can’t do anything right.

2. Is This Thing On? says:

Still don’t understand the big rush to get Colon back in the rotation. They had ample coverage w/Nova performing relatively well and Phil coming back.

3. Nuke LaDoosh says:

I’m not buying it. He looked great on July 2nd. Two weeks later he is tentative on it? He had to reinjure it at least a little bit.

• Mike says:

Agree 100%. He was great against the Mets and new he’s tentative? Not buying it. Clock may have struck midnight for Cinderella, I sure hope not though

4. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

At this point, they don’t even have to DL him. Just DFA or release Mitre and call up Nova and let Bartolo skip a start or 2.

5. Gonzo says:

$10 they know he’s not hurt because they asked him if he was hurt.

6. Nuke LaDoosh says:

maybe they expect a Ubaldo deal (or other SP) to happen soon enough that by downplaying any injury to Bart, they hope to not appear desperate.

• Rookie says:

I suspect not appearing desperate was part of their calculation/gamble — one I thought was misguided at the time and which only appears more and more likely to have been so (at least so far) with the passage of time.

7. Monteroisdinero says:

Did you all see the pathetic attempt (with the glove swipe towards home plate) at that second infield hit in the disastrous 1st inning? He cannot move normally and shouldn’t risk further injury to himself and put his team at a disadvantage when pitching. A pitcher who can’t run at his normal speed (however slow) is a time bomb.

• Rookie says:

Amen. Why risk such a critical weapon in the post season for at most a few more wins in the regular season? It doesn’t make any sense that I can see at least. But as Mike says, it does seem to me to be a Yankee pattern. I don’t follow other teams close enough to know if it’s an MLB-wide pattern or not. But whether it is or not, it certainly appears counterproductive to me.

8. Pasqua says:

Something’s fishy here. Why would he be apprehensive in his third start back from the DL, especially when his return start (against the Mets) looked fine and dandy? That alone would make me think he’s felt something “wrong” in the interim.

• Monteroisdinero says:

He re-aggravated his hamstring on out #2 covering 1B but did not call for the trainer or Girardi (who should have come out to assess him).

My opinion.

9. Craig says:

As I have stated, money doesn’t just disappear. It merely transfers from one hand to another. If you were sitting in a Las Vegas Casino, and the most successful gambler in the world walked in and sat down at the roullette wheel, you would be a fool not to shadow his bets. I don’t do Casino gambling, but I do know how to beat the Rothschilds and Rockefellers in their Wall Street Casino. I want you to learn how as well. This, my friends, will be far more enjoyable then standing outside a building with a Protest sign.

1. Open up an online trade account with E-trade or Scott Trade or whoever.

2. Get approved to trade stock options.

3. Fund your online account with a few dollars you can afford to lose. Don’t bet the farm!

4. Buy Put Options on the companies I recommend in these articles and on my radio program. My radio program can be heard on Renseradio.com.

5. Get set up today and start trading Monday morning!