Aug

Ahead of Irene, Burnett fizzles out again

Over their past six games, the Yankees have taken on such AL powerhouses as the Twins, A’s and Orioles. One might expect the Yankees, a 97-win team, to go 4-2 or maybe even 5-1 against such inferior competition, but alas, they have not. They are 2-4 vs. the AL bottom feeders, and two of those losses came from the arm of A.J. Burnett, who’s not even giving the Yanks a chance.

Tonight, Joe Girardi could have pulled Burnett in the second as he did Saturday in Minnesota. Since Phil Hughes couldn’t last three yesterday, though, Girardi couldn’t risk overworking the bullpen again. He chose instead to let Burnett tough it out, and A.J. didn’t deliver. Through five innings, he threw a whopping 116 pitches. He allowed nine earned runs on nine hits — eight of which went for extra bases. He also walked two and threw three wild pitches. The Yanks, who lost 12-4, never really had a chance.

After the game, everyone involved sounded frustrated. “I’m frustrated,” Joe Girardi said, speaking for everyone. “Part of my job is to remember it’s a person out there struggling. It’s not just an employee of the New York Yankees. It hurts me to see someone struggling. We’ve got to try and fix it.”

“It’s not acceptable, but the bottom line is, I can’t worry about my numbers right now,” Burnett said. “Even if I pitch great the rest of the year, I’m still going to have bad numbers. I’ve got to get on good track. I’m going to get on a good track. I can’t worry about my ERA, my 9-11 record.”

It’s all well and good for A.J. and Girardi to talk about improvement, but after the double headers this weekend and once the five-man pitching rotation gets straightened out, A.J. shouldn’t be it. As I said last weekend, he’s one of the Yanks’ top five starters in salary only. He hasn’t thrown a quality start in ten outings, and his 7.79 ERA since the start of July is utterly abysmal. Adam Warren could do this job for $16.1 million a year less.

On the bright side, A-Rod broke his homerless streak after reaching the 105 PA plateau; Jorge hit another home run; and Nick Swisher continued his torrid summer. He’s now hitting .268/.383/.455 on the season and has hit five home runs over his last eight games. Go get ‘em tomorrow or whenever the next game is.

Saturday’s Double Header Postponed

The Yankees and Orioles have already postponed Saturday’s double header due to the looming hurricane. Instead, the Yanks and O’s will try for a Sunday double header with games at 1:35 p.m. and 7:35 p.m. The two teams will play one game on Monday, and the Orioles want to make up tomorrow’s game on Sept. 8 at 7:05 p.m. The Yankees have a West Coast road trip that begins the next day, and the team is going to fit this change tooth and nail. They should have played two today, but the Orioles seem intent on screwing over the Yanks one way or another.

Categories : Game Stories

1. Jesse says:

God, the Orioles are such pricks.

• Jesse says:

And Nova would have pitched today, which means he could have pitched in the second or third game in Fenway, and since he starts on Sunday he can’t. Here’s a big Fuck you to Baltimore.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Their front office is full of Josh Becketts.

• marty l says:

probably its “buck”. never got over losing in’95, getting fired, and watching torre run off 4 out of 5. realizes he’s lost his “baseball genius” tag. just another baseball lifer. with a scowl. hope he doesn’t get another broadcasting gig after this.

2. stuart a says:

try warren, try phelps, try manbam, try noesi burnett shoulb be out.

how many chances does this piece of crap get? he has been bad for 2 years and in his first year he was decent. folklore will tell you he was more then decent the #’s tell you he was decent and for every game 2 in the WS there was game 5 (I think) against the angels.

he does nothing good. he is a bad fielder, walks to many batters, hits to many batters, leads the league in wild pitches, gives up a ton of homers, and has no idea what he is doing out there. If i hear them say more time “he has great stuff” i will barf… also michael kay who says the yanks have no options it a moron. really no options. is noesi, warren, phelps, manbam, etc going to be any worse? maybe but probably not and they may be better…

phelps and warren are legit AAA pitchers who may be major leaguers…give them or others a chance……………..

• Jesse says:

Warren did pitch today for SWB so he could pitch Wednesday or Thursday, Noesi isn’t stretched out, but maybe they could risk it. But I agree, this is getting ridiculous how they continue to run him out there. He is probably the worst pitcher in the history of the franchise with the amount of games and innings he accumulated during his time here.

• Ed says:

Don’t remember the 90s huh?

Just off the top of my head Tim Leary, Andy Hawkins, and Kenny Rogers all hung around for multiple years and were at least as bad as the ’10-’11 version of AJ, probably worse.

Leary was so bad that the Yankees flat out paid the Mariners to take him. The Yankees occasionally include money in deals when it helps them, but I can’t think of another time they sent cash and got nothing back.

Hawkins pulled off the impressive feat of throwing a no-hitter and losing 4-0. If only we had RAB back then, the comments on that game would be hysterical.

3. Pat D says:

I feel sorry for AJ. I just really wish he knew how to figure this out. But the sand in the clock has run out, he cannot be allowed to cost the Yankees a game in this manner again.

Also, the Orioles want the Yankees to play a night game before flying to the West Coast? Get fucking bent. That’s got to be an afternoon game. MLB, if they had any balls, would force it so.

Of course they should have played 2 today, but the Orioles’ shitty attendance would have suffered further.

At least Oakland humiliated Boston.

• Andrew518 says:

I don’t know what it is about AJ. I hated the contract when they made the deal for him, I thought he would be hurt all the time (who could have known that might be a good thing). That said I too feel bad for him, I never had this much patience for others before him, I once did see Kenny Rodgers looking like he was going to cry when he got pulled, and I had a little sympathy, but aside from that instance I couldn’t stand him. I still curse Jeff Weaver, Kevin Brown, and Javier Vasquez. I may feel bad for AJ but the time is here to change something. This just can’t go on.

4. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Call up Warren or use Noesi to start on monday. Then the Boston rotation would be Colon-CC-Hughes, which is not ideal (I’d want CC-Nova-Freddy for a boston series) but AJ in fenway is a must-avoid-at-all-costs.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Never mind not Warren on Monday because he pitched today.

• Jesse says:

Yep he did. But I wouldn’t mind having Noesi start on Monday and then push CC to the Boston series. Sure he’s pitched like shit against Boston, but he’s very capable of pitching a gem there, and really if you look at his Boston starts it’s usually one inning that does him in.

5. Ethan says:

The fact that the O’s want to move the game to Sept 8 AND play a night game really is infuriating. This team is just looking for ways to screw the Yankees. If the game has to be played on Sept 8th then at least be a day game. MLB really likes to screw over the Yankees, how could they possibly accept this?! Playing a game at 7pm means it’s not over until at least 10pm and the Yankees wouldn’t get to the west coast until 5 or 6am. And then they are expected to play that day? Come on, that’s pretty ridiculous.

6. John says:

MLB should say something about playing a night game on Sept 8th. Selig wants to run around saying “all fairness” and “what’s best for the game”…so having the Yankees play a night game THEN fly to the West Coast is best for the game? No Team should have to do that, I’m sure if it was in the Bronx the Yankees would have a day game to allow convenient travel arrangements. I mean they’ve had afternoon games in the middle of the week in the middle of the homestand and they weren’t the ones trying to get out of town asap.

• Andrew518 says:

Once again Selig proves that he will always put money ahead of common sense and what’s best for the game. This is a prime example as to why owners are not supposed to be commisioners

7. David N says:

Or just play two on Monday. Make it a split-admission if they have to. I can pretty much guarantee that all the Yankee fans who fill up Camden Yards for these games will be in no rush to get home on Monday.

8. Brian S. says:

I will be frustrated if we lose any of the next three games against this team. Matsuz, Britton, Simon should be easy prey.

9. FWIW, before Friday night, Burnett had the worst ERA+ of any Yankee starter in history with at least 92 starts for the team. It’s not going to look any better when Baseball Reference updates the play index later today. (table)

10. FIPster Doofus says:

Burnett’s a joke. So are the Orioles. So is Selig.

That is all.

11. mbonzo says:

“After the game, everyone involved sounded frustrated. “I’m frustrated,” Joe Girardi said…”

That about sums up YES’ “dramatic” post game for you.

12. Sarah says:

It does seem like the MLBPA is going to have to get involved re: Sept. 8. There entire purpose of the union is to protect the players, and the Orioles idea for making up the game is unacceptable. Joe is justifiably pissed, and if I’m in the front office, I’m reminding Selig how much money my team contributes to MLB, and how much money the Os make when my team comes to town.

It’s still sort of unreal that the alleged reason for not wanting to play a split today was “the Os don’t know what game to pull.” Isn’t the obvious answer obvious: Monday. If by some miracle, all 5 games go off without a hitch in the first 3 days, then hey, EXTRA DAY OFF. Since everyone knew that wasn’t going to happen, absolutely no reason to make that excuse.

I’m considering offering my legal services to the team. In exchange I want a very small amount of AJ’s salary.

13. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Will the sunday night game be blacked out because of fucking ESPN? or is there an exception with DHs?

• Sarah says:

I wonder if there is/will be with tomorrow’s pending natural disaster.

MLB – not prepared for Hurricane Irene.

• mbonzo says:

I don’t think either game is on ESPN. According to the Yankees website, YES has both games.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Yeah I know, but what about the normal ESPN sunday night game, and it’s exclusive time slot? will that will have the game blacked out on YES? Sorry if I wasn’t all too clear.

• mbonzo says:

I seem to recall a few Sunday night games this year outside of ESPN. Their exclusive time slot only goes so far.

• The Humungus says:

Yeah, when Texas is at home on a Sunday and not on ESPN, their games start @ 5 (because of the heat) and aren’t blacked out, IIRC.

14. first time lawng time says:

Why don’t they just stick Burnett in the bullpen? He’s only hurting the team if he continues to go out there.

• mbonzo says:

A better spot would be the DL, but the thing is, these games don’t mean very much, and its worth a few loses if they can get good AJ on the mound for the playoffs.

• Andrew518 says:

I think the meaning of these games is still to be determined. Sure they look like a lock for the playoffs but a lot hinges on what happens in the West. I always want to win the division, this is the Yankees and I don’t really feel that great about the Wild Card. I might rather play Texas over a short series with Verlander, but if the Angles come through in the West I’d much rather play a team with one dominant pitcher over a pretty complete staff in Anaheim.

• Len S. says:

Good AJ doesn’t exist anymore during the second half of seasons. Please, I don’t want to see this guy on the mound as a starter during this year’s playoffs.

• Charles says:

Eh he might be ok in low leverage 5-6 inning roles (light version of Cory Wade basically) but I wouldn’t trust him with runners on and having to make a key pitch with his knack for wild pitches.

• Steve S. says:

Their answer will be “His stuff doesn’t translate to the bullpen”.

As you can see, it translates great to the starting rotation.

15. crawdaddie says:

I’m not so sure they will be able to play those Sunday games particularly, the early one.

16. stuart a says:

feel sorry for aj. the guy is a dope who makes $16 milll per year. feel sorry for someone who needs the sympathy not a overpaid clown.

• Charles says:

I have no sympathy for a guy who just quits like AJ, you could tell once he gave up that 6 run inning he was done, the Vlad infield hit was the nail in the coffin for me.

17. MannyB ace2be says:

It certainly looks and sounds based on what he always has to say for himself and his always playing shit down that he just doesn’t give a shit if this team succeeds. I honestly believe that aj is of the mindset that the yanks alrdy payed him and he just goes out there and half asses his starts

18. MannyB ace2be says:

I mean when was the last time the yanks had a starter that basically guaranteed a loss every 5 days and they just stuck it out and let him keep losing. I know it’s cliche but it’s the Fu king truth if the boss were still alive and running shit AJ would not b starting every 5 days

19. tom says:

With expanded rosters I would like to see the Yankees send all their normal starters ahead to the West Coast and put out a mockery of a lineup in Baltimore that night. Ideally they should take out a full page add in every Baltimore paper telling folks they do not intend to have a single regular starter even present at the game that night.

Not sure how many 15 day DL folks there are these days, but they should be able to cobble together a mostly minor league team.

As an added bonus from about the 5th inning on they can start beaning the first batter of every inning and give a top of the cap to Schowalter after each HBP… if they use pitchers that normally wouldn’t be on the expanded roster they won’t need to worry about the impact of 5 game suspensions. (they can also just sign a bunch of folks and DFA them the next day if they can work around the 40 man roster restrictions.. where’s Scott Proctor at these days?)

I would love to see them turn it into a farce…

• tom says:

And they can have Posada manage the game and not even bother with 1st and 3rd base coaches….

• Bob Stone says:

That is a great idea. I love it.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

• NIck says:

I agree with everything, except for the beaning part (maybe I’m too nice). I would put the ad/press release out a few days in advance too to make it perfectly clear that the yanks are treating it like an exhibition game. Don’t even have the starters at the ballpark, let them fly out earlier that day so that they have the rest for the west coast trip. It can be done-

C Jesus

RP Ayala
      RP Whelan
      RP Noesi
      RP Pants Lendleton

• Cuso says:

Wow.

Everyone thinks this is a good idea?

So everyone thinks that the Yankees should say “Here, Orioles! We consider these to be our shittiest players on our 40-man roster. Screw what our shitty players think because we don’t need their contributions in the upcoming playoffs. It’s more important for us to make a point to a potential 65-win team that fills Camden Yards to 60% capacity at most. And 75% of THAT amount is comprised of Yankee fans.”

This is a good idea?

Who is this supposed to hurt?

• NIck says:

It’s not just flippin a bird to the Birds, its the preservation of the off day. The yanks are an old team that is practically guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. They don’t need the win to make the playoffs, and the added rest *may* help avoid injuries and keep the players fresh for the playoff run.

20. your mom says:

AJ Burnett sucks donkey dick! This piece of shit doesn’t even deserve to wear pinstripes any longer. I know Arod’s contract absolutely fucking stinks but AJ’s is a close second right about now. Please DFA his ass ASAP!

Sincerely,
    95% of Yankee fans

21. David, Jr. says:

It is amazing. He just can’t pitch in August!!!

22. Stevis says:

AJ is done…if they insist on sending him out again ,its on Cash and Girardi…enough is enough

23. Ray R says:

AJ is like old faithful: you can be certain he’ll blow every time you watch. Rumor has it he tried to throw his glove into the stands but he was just a bit outside.

24. Rainbow Connection says:

Gotta hand it to the O’s: They are sticking it to the rich kids and doing it within the rules. Just like how the Yanks overspend to kill their competition ‘within the rules’.
    Everyone should stop playing the role of victim.

25. Alfred says:

You know what frustrates me: Burnett doesn’t seem to work on things. When Granderson was slumping last year, he went in with Long to make changes, you hear CC working in the bullpen on a specific issue in his mechanics over the last weeks when he was in a mini-slump, but I’ve never heard a similar story with Burnett.

• Pasqua says:

You are definitely pulling that out of nowhere. The Granderson change is practically legendary at this point…I can’t think of another adjustment having such a profound impact (Halladay’s complete mechanical overhaul, maybe, but that took time and was done at the Minor League level). Everybody works. And when they don’t, you always hear concerns about “work ethic.” Haven’t heard anything like that in regard to Burnett. AJ sucks, and I am no fan, but its pretty unfair to just label him as somebody who doesn’t work on things (especially when the gist of your argument is that you’ve “never heard” of him doing so).

• Bob Stone says:

I agree. Unfortunately, you are probably right. That means he has been working on solving the problem with zero results. That is discouraging.

26. Bronx Byte says:

Burnett shouldn’t be needed for the rest of the year. Adjust the rotation so that on September 1st, bring up Warren and Phelps to pitch the final game against the Sux.
    The results are the same every time Burnett attempts to throw – not pitch.

27. Carl Spackler, assistant greenskeeper says:

If they get rid of AJ, would they keep the cream pies?

28. jayd808 says:

Adam Warren could do this job for $16.1 million a year less.
    ————————-
    Yeah, maybe Warren could beat some of the weaker teams but is he going to go into the post season and deliver a win following a loss in game two of the WS? Me no think so. Either they turn AJ around in September or we can kiss our collective asses goodbye….Girardi is right, Ben.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I don’t know about you, but a CC-Garcia-Nova-Colon/Hughes playoff rotation is fine with me.

• David, Jr. says:

It had better be fine. It is all we have.

• jayd808 says:

You’re right. It is always commpared-to-what. Would I take Lackey & Wakefield in a trade for AJ? No fucking way. We’ll get to the WS but them Phillies still have the rotation. Gimme CJ Wilson and a more mature Nova, Phil with a good year behind him. Now that’s a rotation.

• Pasqua says:

Burnett is not going to be a factor in the postseason if he doesn’t improve. Not even money-blindness can save him now. If this is the way AJ is pitching in a month, he’s not sniffing any meaningful innings in October.

29. Regis says:

Don’t worry! He’s not worrying about his numbers – he is going to get on a good track! It’s gonna happen!

30. Hello Nasty says:

“Hey A.J., can you go watch out for the storm surge? Let us know when the water is above your nose.”

31. Bob Stone says:

AJ is hurting the team right now. He should volunteer to go to the minors to work out his problem if he has any sense of team and winning.

He still gets paid and gives the team a better chance of winning.

32. Kosmo says:

“The guys know I’m out there battling ”. “I’m out there giving what I got, and I guess at the end of the night, that’s not really failure. I mean, yeah, I didn’t get the results, I didn’t execute, but I left it all out there, so now we got to find a way to do both.” A.J. Burnett

What´s the definition of failure ?

33. Alibaba says:

I wish we had a huge lead for 1st place. Then, we could have forfeited the game currently scheduled for September 8. The birds did not want to lose any revenue due to the doubleheader. A forfeiture would cause them to lose considerably more.

• Zach says:

The sad thing is, due to the fact we were 10-2 against the Sux and lost games we should have won (a couple of those games are sadly on Mo), we can’t.