Aug

Open Thread: Joe DiMaggio, in stamp form

In an effort to increase interest in stamp collecting (seriously), the U.S. Postal Service is launching a 2012 commemorative program featuring four baseball players “who were perennial All-Star selections and left an indelible impression on the game.” Joe DiMaggio (right, obviously) is the first to be released in preview form, and the remaining three will be announced in the coming days.

I’m not much of a collector, of anything really, but I do have a big cardboard box on the top shelf of my closet with every stupid little giveaway item I’ve ever gotten at a baseball game, Yankees or otherwise. I’ve got more calenders than I know what to do with, more hats than I could ever wear, more magnets than I could ever stick on my fridge. Is that weird? Typing it out makes me think it’s kinda weird.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Mets are playing the Padres at home (Pelfrey vs. Stauffer), and you can also watch the Red Sox take on the Twins on ESPN (Wakefield vs. Baker). MLB Network will also be broadcasting a west coast game later on. Talk about whatever you like here, anything goes.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jesse says:

God, it’d be really sweet if the Twins beat the Sawx tonight.

2. Rainbow Connection says:

I wonder if NOW will have a problem with this?

3. baravelli says:

Uh, didn’t Joe DiMaggio bat righty? Doesn’t the portrait on the stamp show him batting lefty? Is that okay?

4. YankeesJunkie says:

Wang starting tonight against the Cubs and I picked him on fantasy so hopefully he does well.

5. Jesse says:

so let me get this straight, Aj goes tomorrow against Haren, Nova on wednesday and Colon on Thursday?

6. Jake LaMotta's Left Hook says:

Jackie Robinson, Roberto Clemente, and Ted Williams are my guesses for the other 3.

• Xstar7 says:

What, no Babe Ruth?

• Tom says:

If “perennial” all star status were a criterion, then one of the candidates would have to be Stan the Man, a supremely great hitter, who has been poorly served by MLB’s memory machine for decades.

• Brian S. says:

Willie Mays went to like what, twenty-one all-star games? I think he will be one. Since DiMaggio was already picked I doubt Mantle or Gehrig will be chosen. Musial, Robinson, Williams, Cobb, Henderson, Clemente, Koufax…all could be the other ones. Offical guess for the last three: Mays, Robinson, Musial.

7. Yo, everyone, come and meet the TYAholes this weekend:

8. Jimmy McNulty says:

Is Hughes going to make his next scheduled start? He only threw a few pitches before shitting his pants.

• YankeesJunkie says:

No they are going with Burnett. On one hand that sucks, but on the other it makes this turn on a five man rotation.

9. Kevin G. says:

Over/Under Number of Mets that get hurt tonight: 1.5

10. Guest says:

ESPN is doing a pretty cool city “Hall of Fame” thing where you vote for the five hall of famers that played in that particular city. It’s across all major sports and no active players are eligible.

You look at the list of potential candidates for NYC, and its really clear that this is a baseball town(or at least was a baseball town for a LONG time).

My five (no particular order):

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Jackie Robinson
    3. Mickey Mantle
    4. Joe DiMaggio
    5. Mark Messier

The toughest cuts were Willie and Yogi. Willie because so many of his great years were in San Francisco and when you think of those great Giants teams, your first memory is Thompson off Branca. Willie certainly captured the imagination of baseball fans, but it doesn’t seem like he quite captured the imagination of New York like the above five. Yogi we love, and he was great, but he’s more of a great supporting actor rather than a leading guy.

Messier makes the list, even though his best days were in Edmonton, because I don’t think there has ever been a New York athlete more definitively at the center of a championship team. And when you take into account “1940!”, the hat-trick after the guarantee against a local rival, and the way that 1994 team absolutely owned this city, Messier has to be on this list.

I think the other four are pretty self-explanatory. Not only were they great, they were iconic.

• Adam B. says:

Robinson, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Dimaggio… It’s all baseball but those are the best of the bunch… I think they will put atleast 1 of LT, Namath, Messier, and Ewing just so its not all baseball.

• MikeD says:

No way Gehrig does not make that list.

• Guest says:

Yeah, Gehrig was a pretty colossal oversight on my part.

He has to make the list over Messier. One year can’t trump everything Gehrig did and what he meant to the city. But what a year!

Hockey is probably fourth for me in terms of favorite sports, but I can’t imagine enjoying a team more than I enjoyed those ’94 Rangers.

11. Tom says:

The more I look at that stamp of Dimag, the less I like it. He had what may have been the classic baseball swing. In this representation, he looks awkward.

12. YankeesJunkie says:

For all those that have been complaining about how poor the Yankees minor league system has been it has been a pleasure to see Nova, Robertson, Nunez on offense, and even Noesi in limited and unpredictable appearances have shown that they can play MLB caliber baseball. While none of these players are necessarily huge impact players (D-Rob may be an exception but he still a reliever) they still provide the Yankees with players that provide value, depth, and trade chips for the Yankees to use to put themselves over the top. Hopefully in the next couple of years us fans can talk about players such as Banuelos, Adams, Joseph, Romine, Montero, and Betances have helped the Yankees in 2012 and 2013. Even though Cashman has not been the best GM out there he has assembled a team that has laid a foundation for the continuing success of the Yankees through young cost controlled players and hopefully he decides to stay on past this year.

• Tom says:

I agree with most of this. However, as someone old enough to have rooted for the 1952 Yankees and to have suffered 1965 Shock, when the unthinkable happened, I must say I worry about some ominous signs on this time.

Father Time signs. We’ve seen it Jeter and Posada. It’s not out of the question that Mariano may begin to show evidence of it also. The great Yankee dynasties always needed a component of great of Hall of Fame type guys (Ruth, Gehrig, Dimag, Mantle, Reggie, etc.). They really need now to start developing some super calibre pitchers. Banuelos and Betances, I hope, will fill that bill. But young pitchers….

And then there is A-Rod, with some signs of the age process now showing (if only as propensity to injury).

God, 1965 was awful, for Yankee fans. Only Bill Veeck seems to have seen it coming.

• Guest says:

I can’t imagine what a shock 1965-75 must have been after all the greatness that came before it.

But I don’t think we need to be too worried about the near future.

Yes the “Core 4 plus one more (Arod)” are either retired, in decline, or testing the upper limits of father time, but the Yankees have huge stars in the prime of their career that can carry this team.

CC-Tex-Cano-Granderson is as good a core to build a team around as any in the game. If, (big if), Montero is the Montero of our dreams and one of the young pitchers pans out, I think we won’t have have to worry about 1965 repeating itself.

13. Murph1010 says:

watching the game last night made me miss the old yankee stadium. i loved that atmosphere. stadium was PACKED.

14. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Predictions for the homestand? I say 5-1. Take 2/3 from the Angels and sweep the Rays.

15. Dino Velvet says:

Bill Simmons was on ESPN saying Boston has the best bullpen in baseball.

16. Pants Lendelton says:

Since it’s off topic , I’ll leave this little gem here

It’s a interactive Saved by the bell game on youtube.

Hilarious.

17. Esteban says:

Hah someone just shouted “PENIS” loud and clear during the Twins-Sox game.

18. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Hahaha Pedroia

19. MannyGeee says:

Any one see that Strasburg hitting 98 in his rehab assignment? kid is not human… How long until he blows out his new ligament?

20. Jesse says:

This game has red sox win all over it.

21. Jesse says:

Jesus Montero: 0 for 4 tonight, 1 K, just flew out to deep left center.

22. Jesse says:

I smell a Cuddyer homer here….

23. Jesse says:

well so much for that..

24. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Twins will fuck this up

25. Dino Velvet says:

Crawford doesn’t have any grit.

26. Xstar7 says:

Ha! Ellsbury caught stealing.

27. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Ellsbury – not gritty enough

28. Jesse says:

Did anyone see that Uggla extended his hit streak to 29 games? Joe DiMaggio must be shaking in his grave now!

29. DGeezy says:

Adrian Gonzalez reminds me of Dante from CLERKS

30. Dino Velvet says:

the dribbler had grit written all over it.

31. Xstar7 says:

They’re pinch running for Adrian Gonzalez? They’re going to regret that if this goes into extras.

32. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Didn’t see that coming. real shocker.

33. Jesse says:

why did they pull Perkins?

34. Jesse says:

Jesus Montero 0-5 in SWB’s 3-1 Loss

35. Jesse says:

I would love a bloop and a blast here.

36. BigLoving says:

This stamp is mother fucking garbage! This is what I pay taxes for.

I don’t know why but I feel like my above statement should be narrated by dmx

37. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

We better sweep that sorry team…

38. Xstar7 says:

To anyone who hasn’t seen this yet, it’s fucking hilarious: http://nomaas.org/blog/wp-cont.....xstore.jpg

(emphasis on the top left)

39. Jesse says:

Hey Axisa, the Red Sox gained a half game in the standings. This calls for another parade!

40. Jerome S. says:

I FOUND OUT HOW TO MAKE SALTY HIT BETTER: Let’s put him in a comically small ballpark!

41. nsalem says:

Anniversary 11 Insringhausen’s 2 pitch blown save and loss,

42. Simon says:

When is Jesus going to save us?!?!?!?

Oh by the way, I ordered some RAB shirts, not that anyone should care! Gonna be sporting those with pride lol.

43. godfather says:

The colossal miscue by the experts re DiMaggio is that he was so much better than generally given credit for. He was, of course, big in the big city, so a general reaction prevailed that he wouldn’t be all that were he not in Gotham. Couldn’t be more wrong. His iconic status actually worked against him because it was easier for the press to just go along and not dig for facts. As Bill James wrote, no one was hurt more by his home park as a batter than was the DiMaggio. I once wrote an article detailing the home and away figures for the likes of Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Musial and more than a dozen others. The streak has been heralded for years, but it is never mentioned that he hit in 61 straight in the Pacific Coast League in 1933. His ego was mammoth, yes. But his skills measured up to it, bigtime.