Sep

Feliciano underwent surgery on rotator cuff

Via Dan Barbarisi, Pedro Feliciano had surgery on his rotator cuff on September 8th, and he’s got a long rehab ahead of him. The lefty tried to rehab the injury at Dr. James Andrews’ recommendation, but it obviously didn’t work. There’s a legitimate chance that Feliciano will never throw a pitch for the Yankees, other than that one-inning rehab appearance in rookie ball a few weeks ago. Multi-year contracts for relievers, eh? Never a good idea. Maybe they’ll learn one of these days.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I honestly forgot that he even existed.

2. Bill says:

Sure they’re not a good idea…but if you want a good reliever that’s going to be the price: multiple years. No way around it, unless you go internal.

• Dan says:

That’s kinda the point. You don’t need to go out and get “good relievers.” You can grow them. There are 5 bullpen spots that are fungible. a LOOGY is just an average lefty who cant stay healthy and get righties out. very few teams have a labeled 7th inning guy. If you can develop two pitchers into being short relievers (fireman and a closer) then… POOOF! Theres a bullpen. DO NOT GO SPEND MONEY ON A RELIEF PITCHER!!!

• Cito Wordekemper says:

Easier said than done. In a perfect world, this is the solution.

Who was in the Yankee system before the 2011 season that was ready to step into the LOOGY role?

Youre using hindsight as a guide. All MLB teams look for bullpen help. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

• BK2ATL says:

I have a longer post below on exactly this.

Where are the Yankees on lefthanders in the minors? After Banuelos, who else is there???

Seriously trying to find some answers to this.

• Urban says:

If it was easy to create quality lefty relievers, or just LOOGY’s, teams would do just that and teams like the Yankees wouldn’t be constantly on the search for them, and signing players like Marte and Feliciano.

When the Yankees brought up Phil Coke in late 2008 as a starter, I remember seeing him and thinking this guy might be effective out of the pen. He wasn’t great in 2009, but he was serviceable. I was happy with the Granderson deal, but the one guy I thought they’d miss the most was Coke. Not because he was the most talented, but because he would be the hardest to replace, and his loss would cause the Yankees to go on a hunt for another quality arm out of the pen.

As it stands, the Yankees once again this offseason will be on the market for a lefty reliever. Any team that has one will demand too much in return for a trade; any lefty free agent will demand too much money, and since other teams will also be on the market for a lefty reliever, those lefty relievers can ask for a second year.

Yup, it’s easy to say no team should sign these guys. Teams will continue to sign these guys.

It’s easy to say don’t sign

3. jon says:

i wish i could get 8 million bucks to do nothing for 2 years

• SteveD says:

Id take 2 million for 8 years.

• Jerome S. says:

Admittedly, while it’s easy to take that perspective, it’s really not quite so simple. I doubt that Feliciano is doing nothing, nor is he glad to be doing nothing. I bet he hates the idea of not playing baseball for so long.

I know that circumstances like this lead us to blame, but we must blame stupid teams. Can’t hate a player for getting injured.

• Guest says:

+ 1.

What would sports media be like if pundits/fans applied this kind of even headed reasoning to all areas of analysis?

I can dream…

• You’re definitely right; I don’t blame Feliciano at all. However, I really wish the Yankees front office was smart enough to realize that a 30+ year old lefty who appeared in career high games for three straight years might not be worth the investment.

4. Rey22 says:

Next lefty we overpay to have him sit on the DL? My guess is Mike Gonzalez

5. Favrest says:

Feliciano? I thought he was pitching in Mexico.

6. Avi says:

For the life of me I can’t understand giving $8MM to a LOOGY (even if he were healthy) and not being aggressive in the draft. I wish someone would explain it to me. There has to be something to it that we just don’t know.

7. Brandon says:

Given the fact that our top relievers recently have been in house/low cost waiver wire guys mid season, I propose we give up on multi year reliever deals. Our top guys in recent years have been Aceves, Mo, Robertson and Wade. Our multi year guys have not been panning out. Farnesworthless sucked, Marte is often injured, Soriano has been hurt this year and just ok when healthy, Feliciano hasnt thrown 1 inning in a Yankees uniform.

8. Jonathan says:

Honestly, in hindsight of course, if we were going to throw away our first round pick we should have signed Scott Downs. If we were in to actually keeping a 1st round pick for once we all know Choate would have been the right move, especially at the price it took. Hey Mike, do we have someone in the system now who could be a good lefty out of the pen next year??

• BK2ATL says:

It’s looking like we’ll throw money at CJ Wilson and/or Mike Gonzalez, if we expect to see a different lefty in pinstripes.

After Banuelos, the names that I’ve come across in our system was Steve Garrison, who was recently DFAed, and Pat Venditte, who’s more of an anomoly, than a true prospect.

9. BK2ATL says:

I’ve always wondered why there are so very few lefthanders in the Yankees farm system. With the short RF porch in the old Yankee Stadium and now this current edition, you would think that LHP would be more of a priority. Yeah, we got CC, but that’s just one, albeit the ace. Boone Logan just had to stick once Marte went down, then Feliciano. He shouldn’t be THE loogy out there.

Banuelos is the only one I can remember since the days of Andy Pettitte. Mike Stanton, thru trade, was the last effective lefty reliever that we’ve had. Phil Coke was decent, then traded for Logan, who probably wasn’t expected to make the roster when we got him.

I know lefties don’t grow on trees, but it appears something that seems to never get addressed in the drafts, or even international FA. We all knew that Pettitte was hedging towards retiring soon, but after Cliff Lee, was there any other plan??? Again, after Banuelos, what other lefties are in the farm system?

Steve Garrison??? LOL. Yeah okay. Now we pick up scrap heap projects Laffey and Valdes, just to see what they have.

Just Monday morning quarterbacking, but why didn’t we really go hard after Aroldis Chapman??? Money? Power lefties are extremely scarce as it is. We threw substantial $$$ at Feliciano, Marte, and Soriano. 2 of the 3 have been pretty much non-existent.

Just asking these questions. Don’t believe I’ve seen it discussed recently.

• The Humungus says:

We also developed Mike Dunn. He was included in the Javy Vazquez trade (he was then traded to Florida in the Uggla deal before this year.)

2 years in the NL:

80.2 IP
      130 ERA+
      1.351 WHIP
      10.4 K/9
      1.94 K/BB

10. Robert says:

I think that the bullpen signings were Tampa’s idea.I hope that the Tampa guys stay out of the baseball decision’s, because if they don’t it will be like 02-07 again.