Sep

Open Thread: Beatdown in the Bronx

From left, Roger Maris' sons Roger Maris Jr. and Richard Maris, daughters Sandra Maris-Fallo and Susan Maris, widow Pat Maris, sons Kevin Maris and Randy Maris pose by Roger's plaque in Monument Park to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Roger Maris' 61 home runs in 1961 before the New York Yankees baseball game against the Boston Red Sox Saturday, Sept. 24, 2011, at Yankee Stadium in New York. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

See what happens when the A+ lineup starts against a left-hander? The Red Sox had no chance this afternoon. The Yankees scored eight runs off Jon Lester in less than three innings, meaning Boston’s bullpen will be that much more taxed for tomorrow’s doubleheader. Good times, good times.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The Mets are playing the second game of their doubleheader against Phillies (Gee vs. Blanton), and MLB Network will have the Rays and Blue Jays (Niemann vs. Romero). There’s also a ton of college football on, but talk about whatever you like. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. handtius says:

if we have a 2-1 game lead in the first round, why don’t the do a semi bullpen game? have burnett start with the understanding he’ll go 3 inning, then go straight to the best of the bullpen? wouldn’t this make more sense? burnett is usually good through the first 3-4 innings and then they get stuck with our best arms in short relief? wade, soriano, 2 from roberston, 1 from mo. and if we have a big lead, you send in the lesser arms.

• Griffey's Grotesquely Swollen Jaw says:

so a usual Burnett game then?

instantrimshot.com

• Monteroisdinero says:

My thought was we would do this in the 3rd game with Bart and Freddy.

• handtius says:

i could see that, but bart has been giving it up early. i don’t see him as a guy you want throw as hard as he can in a short spurt. with all the movement he generates, he could end up losing that which has mad him successful this year.

• Jesse says:

Absolutely not. I’m gonna pretend I didn’t read this.

• handtius says:

lets pretend you didn’t make this comment and you actually explain yourself. ok? good. it’s worked before. i know the theory that if you keep changing pitchers, one will have a bad day, but with our guys down there, those are few and far between. what is the alternative? throw cc on short rest and then not have him to open the next series? not a good idea.

• Jesse says:

And it’s a good idea to have A.J start a playoff game instead of CC to clinch a series?

That’s not a bad idea, that’s a stupid idea.

• Plank says:

So you want CC to pitch games 1, 3, and 4?

• Jesse says:

Nope. I want the Yankees to win the series. I’d have my rotation look like this in a 5 game series:

1.CC
              2.Nova
              3.Freddy
              4.CC
              5.Nova

Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if they had a 2-1 series lead after game 3 and they’d have CC to slam the door in game four.

• Plank says:

Ah, see now commenter was talking about game 4. Still though, calling someone’s idea stupid is unnecessarily harsh on an internet message board. What’s your idea?

I disagree with the AJ part of the plan, but if the bullpen hasn’t been taxed at all, it may be preferable to a Bartolo, Hughes, or AJ start at some point. The idea is clearly not stupid, you just disagree with it. So do I, but I can recognize that it’s not stupid.

• handtius says:

so, you rather have cc start the last game of a 5 gmae series then the first of the 7 game series? that leads to less cc starts in more important games. if you don’t want aj, then go hughes for a few or bart. i’m just talking about the idea of throwing a bullpen game and not focusing on aj. forget aj exists (which would be easy for you) and the yanks don’t have a 4th but have a good long reliever, what’s wrong with trying this route? and now you can grow up and have a discussion instead of trying to insult someone else ideas.

• Jesse says:

When did I say that I want him to start the final game of a 5 game series and then pitch the first game of the next series? I’m pretty much saying I want my best pitchers to pitch as often as possible. And btw, if he were to pitch game 4 and win that game he’d be going on three days rest if he started game 1 of the next series which is no big deal at all.

And I don’t need an anonymous person to tell me to grow up. My God, you’re not my parent. I know a terrible idea when I see one, and starting A.J in a playoff game is a terrible idea. If you get insulted by what I said I suppose I’ll apologize, but that’s weak on your part to be offended by that.

• Plank says:

If CC is ready to go in a win or go home scenario, he would start for 29 teams out of 30. If they win the game, he’ll still pitch 2 in the next series, if they lose, the season is over. There’s no decision to make.

• Plank says:

What’s with the attitude? I disagree with that plan too, but I would never be a jerk about it.

2. CBean says:

Rays pitching failing when they need it.

3. Monteroisdinero says:

Our best two hitters GOING FORWARD are Cano and Montero. Neither bats in the first inning. There will be changes coming.

• David, Jr. says:

This. You are correct, Sir.

• Rich in NJ says:

I would change are to will be with respect to Montero. As long as they keep him (as they should if they’re smart given the age of their core hitters), he will bat high in the lineup. Cano wil probably bat 3rd or 4th next season.

• Monteroisdinero says:

Agreed. I can see Cano 3rd, ARod 4th and Montero 5th. Tex less likely to throw a tantrum than others.

• bexarama says:

I feel like Tex is actually way more likely to “throw a tantrum” than A-Rod at this point or Cano.

And 5th/4th are probably more important than third, who bats with the bases empty and no one on probably too much.

• Andrew 518 says:

From a production standpoint though, I would see A-rod as the one that should be moved down.

Really for the short term I’d just flip flop Cano and A-Rod, have Montero bat in six spot. Montero will have his day as a clean up/three hitter, I might even prefer him in five hole, w/ A-Rod six, but from a realistic stand point it might be too much to ask A-Rod to drop that far down.

Tex has had an up and down year, too many pop ups, but at this point he provides more power/walk potential than Alex, really more suited to three spot than five or six in my mind.

4. Xstar7 says:

The Yankees still have a shot at 100 wins. They have to go at least 4-1 in the last 5 games which can definitely be done.

Meanwhile the Rays are really missing out on a big opportunity to catch up to the Red Sox. They lost on Boston’s off-day yesterday and they’re already losing 2-0 to the Blue Jays today.

5. Sarah says:

Sort of what I’m thinking.

6. CBean says:

omg it’s like keystone jays in the first inning.

• Chop It Up says:

That was quite simply the most horseshit fielding performance I have ever seen in a half inning of major league baseball. Good though, since Rays tied it up.

7. Sarah says:

I know the Os like playing spoiler, but we have tickets to Game 4 of the ALDS here in Arlington and I want to see the Yanks. So Detroit, get your sh*t together and beat the Os.

8. Monteroisdinero says:

CMW beats the Braves and gets his first hit!

YCPB

9. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I wish they would have started Nova in the day game so we could see a Lackey/AJ matchup.

10. Monteroisdinero says:

Imagine what our offense will be like when our 50M dollars of corner infielders get hot.

11. Kramerica Industries says:

The Rays game is NOT on TV in the Tampa Bay area tonight, in lieu of Florida Atlantic/Auburn football.

Fucken bullshit at its finest. And then we wonder why baseball sucks in the TB market.

12. Karl Krawfid says:

Verlander is getting crushed man.

13. Rich in NJ says:

“This kid is something else.” – Freddy Garcia on Jesus Montero

14. Jesus Freak says:

Kontos for post season roster!

15. Jesus Freak says:

If Detroit goes on to lose (they’re down 5-1 in the 4th), Yanks secure home field advantage.

16. 23553 says:

I’s slightly surprised that Chien-Ming Wang never had a hit with the Yankees ,as even though he was an AL pitcher, he still had 15 AB, not a ton, but enough that odds are he would have a hit. And he had another 18 with the Nationals. But lo and behold, I go to the Nationals game, and in the fourth inning, Wang gets a hit (RBI single), and I see that it’s his first one. So congratulations to him.

17. Oliver Twist says:

Two things were sealed tonight- Freddy’s #3 rotation spot in the postseason and Jesus Montero’s playoff roster and DH spot. Hell of a game. Sweep the Sox and let the Rays do the rest.

18. Karl Krawfid says:

Yankees could be 1.5 games back of the best record in baseball if the Mets hang on.

19. bong hitter says:

hopefully verlander’s arm will fall off soon!

20. Craig says:

So outta Montero, Posada, Jones, Chavez, Nunez- who gets left off? and who would everyone go for as the game 4 starter come CS and WS? I think we can all agree so far it goes CC, Nova, Garcia and then…..

• I think it would be Colon for #4. IMO the long rest would probably help him return to form. No way you leave Jones off the roster, honestly Posada is the most “useless” but even he has a good line vs. Righties, so I don’t know that’s tough.

• LiterallyFigurative says:

First off, you can’t leave Nunez off the team, as he’s your backup middle fielder and pinch runner. I still don’t get the Nunez hate on this site (not saying you hate him).

Posada has the least value, given that Chavez and Montero hit righties, and Jones and Montero hit lefties. Jorge’s spot depends totally on whether Girardi MUST have Romine as backup catcher (even though he’ll never start unless Martin is injured) or not.

• YankeeJosh says:

I don’t think you leave anyone off. That’s your bench and you go with the starting 9 and 11 pitchers for 25. No real need for a pinch runner since Nunez is there. No outfield defensive specialist but Gardner/Swisher/Grandy are fine. No back-up catcher is needed as Montero or Posada could catch in a pinch, if Martin gets hurt or pinch run for.

21. first time lawng time says:

The Red Sox, in their 110 year existence have won at least 100 games 3 times.

The Yankees have reached 100 wins 4 times in the past 9 years.

Just found that amusing and thought I’d share.

• first time lawng time says:

And in case anyone is wondering, the Yankees have done it 19 times total.

• first time lawng time says:

Aaaaaand for even more amusement, the number of times each team has reached 90+ wins:

Boston: 27
      Yankees: 59

• Jon in ???JH says:

The rivalry between the hammer and the nail, my friends.

• Xstar7 says:

And the Phillies have only won 100 games TWICE in their 130 year history (three if they do it this year).

• Craig says:

If I’m a fan of that team, I’m worried. Theyre going thru their annual hitting slump at the worst possible time, Howard’s banged up, and there really isn’t a bullpen. Their pitchers have racked up A LOT of innings, and you have to wonder if it’s gonna catch up with them in the playoffs or not.

• Xstar7 says:

They’re the oldest team in the MLB and they aren’t getting any younger. Howard, Rollins, and Utley are well past their primes. Ibanez is toast. Shane Victorino is having a breakout season but is on the wrong side of 30. Until they traded for Hunter Pence, Dominic Brown was the ONLY player in their starting lineup under the age of 30. Speaking of trades, they’ve pretty much tapped their farm system out acquiring guys like Halladay, Pence, and Oswalt. Of course with that rotation they should be World Series contenders for at least the next 2-3 years. But after that things get a little hazy with all those aging players with huge contracts and no one in the farm system to back them up (unless you still consider Domonic Brown a prospect). I’ve said it before, they’re the definition of a “win now” team.

• Kramerica Industries says:

The Phillies might never win again…

That said, as long as they lose three of their first four or five playoff games*, I think we’all all be happy.

*Wise-ass mathematicians would pick that statement if I had just left it as “three of their first five playoff games”.

22. Rey22 says:

Damon! Still hurting the Red Sox!

23. Tom O says:

Johnny Rocket!

24. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Well it looks like the Sox will have a 1.5 game lead tomorrow sending Lackey and Wake to the mound. There’s a very real chance the Rays and Sox could be tied at this time tomorrow.

25. Monteroisdinero says:

I think Chavez is off the post season roster. Gotta have Montero, Jones, Nunez and Posada (for old time’s sake).

Montero hits righties well. All 4 HR’s off righties-3 of them off quality pitchers and 3 of them to right field.

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I think they have Chavez on instead of an extra lefty or Ayala. Mo, DRob, Soriano, Wade, Logan and Hughes/Noesi is perfectly fine for the pen.

• Tom O says:

Don’t you still have 2 more spots open there? I count 11 players, including the other regulars, you could take chavez too, and a player of your choice.

26. Mickey Scheister says:

This extra wild card spot isn’t a good idea, IMO. A one game playoff in a sport where one game really doesn’t decide anything. I understand what they’re trying to do, but what if 5-10 games separate the normal WC winner and the 2nd wild card, even worse what if they’re in the same league? They could have the series be a 3 game series and give the team with best record in each league a bye. Have the series start the day after the regular season ends, or even have a double header in a neutral stadium with a dome to ensure they get the game in, that last part may be extreme. IMO, that’s better than a one game playoff and it still penalizes the WC while rewarding the team in each league with the best record.

27. Jesus Freak says:

Adrian Gonzalez is a comedian

“I think when we get into the playoffs, whoever we play better watch out because we’re going go in being the underdog,” he said after today’s loss. “We’re not playing good baseball, but at the same time we can come out tomorrow and win the two games and pretty much be a lock to be in the playoffs. All these things can turn in a matter of 12 or 13 hours, whatever the case is.”

This is what happens when you’re surrounded by a sycophantic media – you lose all sense of reality.

• Xstar7 says:

“but at the same time we can come out tomorrow and win the two games and pretty much be a lock to be in the playoffs.”

Says the guy whose batting average against the Yankees this year is below the Mendoza line. And with Lackey and Wakefield on the bump for them, the Giant’s offense could probably sweep the doubleheader from the Red Sox.

• ArchStanton says:

Well, he’s right- you really just need to get your ticket to the playoffs punched and go from there. Obviously they have some serious concerns, but anything can happen really.

• JohnnyC says:

Well, they did say he was the perfect fit for the Sox…welcome to the insanity.

• FIPster Doofus says:

I don’t see what’s so bad about this. He’s not really wrong, is he?

• Jesse says:

He’s pretty much saying that the Sox are a lock for the playoffs, which isn’t close to being right. And he thinks they’ll win both games tomorrow which is pretty moronic on his part because they have Wakefield and Lackey going tomorrow. Granted A.J is going tomorrow, but let’s be honest. A.J>Wakefield>Lackey

• FIPster Doofus says:

I’d expect a member of any team to have faith in himself and his teammates, at least publicly. Gonzalez didn’t say anything offensive or arrogant. He said the Sox “can win” both games tomorrow, and he’s right. If they do, they’ll be sitting pretty as far as making the playoffs goes.

• well you know says:

Even if the Sox win both games tomorrow, they might still need to win two out of three against the O’s in Baltimore to clinch.

Far from a lock.

28. YankeeJosh says:

When baseball expands the playoffs, if three divisions are kept, I still like a three game series. It’s pretty simple, have WC #2 host game 1, then have WC #1 hosts games 2 and 3 if needed, with no off days. The series is over in three days and then the Division series can start without too much delay.

If baseball insists on a one game playoff, do away with divisions and have WC #5 at WC #4 for 1 game, and then play seed #1. If you finish 4th or 5th in the league you can’t complain about a one game playoff. If you finish with the second best record and get stuck in a one game playoff because you are in the wrong division, that is unfair.

With realignment there will be a lot more interleague play so the break-up of the divisions will be completely random based on geography, so it would make sense to just eliminate them.

29. DERP says:

Orioles win. Yankees clinch HFA.

• Xstar7 says:

Best team in the American League? Best team in the American League.

• Jesse says:

Although it doesn’t mean crap because of the stupid All Star Game rule determining Home Field in the WS, but it’d be pretty sweet if the Yankees ended up with the best record in the sport. They’re 1.5 games behind Philly for the best record.

• Bill says:

I think baseball should change it back to home field advantage in the World Series to the team with the better record. I mean, NO ONE played for the American League this year. They put way too much stock into an exhibition game that everyone sits out.