Oct

“Juuust missing to run the count full, 3-2″

There’s still two hours until first pitch, so I figured this was a good way to kill some time. Positive vibes, you know? That 2-2 pitch looks more and more unbelievable with each passing year.

Categories : Days of Yore

1. Nuke LaDoosh says:

Juggernaut !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. bonestock94 says:

Man, no way the new stadium is as loud and shakes like the old one. No freaking way.

3. JGS says:

Catcher should of kept his body more still while the pitch was on the way.

4. Gerry Davis says:

That pitch was clearly a ball..

5. Stuckey says:

Eh, Yankees had 2-innings-without-breaking-a-sweat Mo back then.

Yankees were gonna win that game and the series anyway.

6. Sheepmeister says:

personally i think that call looks more and more believable each passing year with the way postseason umpiring goes.

7. Kevin says:

That reminds me of how the stadium used to be and how it use to sound. THe new one can’t hold a candle to it.

8. Jon in CUO says:

For anyone missing Tino – don’t worry, we’ve still got him:

9. vin says:

That team could do no wrong.

10. Rainbow Connection says:

I love Tino, but did anyone hear him with Sterling a week or two ago? I couldn’t understand half of what he said (even when he managed to spit out a few words here and there). Great player, bad communicator.

11. thenamestsam says:

Interesting to see that in light of the piece Mike Fast wrote for BP a few weeks ago about catcher framing. That pitch is definitely a strike, but I don’t think the catcher does a good job of framing it at all. He drops his head to watch the ball at the last second, which is one of the things that was specifically mentioned in that article as making it more likely for the pitch to be called a ball. Additionally, he moves his hands so much as he receives the ball, snapping them down and then back up quickly. Combined, those two factors make it a lot tougher for the umpire.

12. jon says:

Someone asked Nova if winning this game would be the best in his life

his response

13. PFOJ says:

Anyone know where video of Leyritz’s walk off in 1995 can be found?

14. Ivan says:

Watching dat still gives me goosebumps…wow wat a moment.

15. Rainbow Connection says:

Since when does Gardner have the same voice as Nick Swardson? Strange!!!

16. 4_Everbronx says:

Wow, haven’t seen this in a while…I was in my mid 20′s.

17. Pasqua says:

Ah, 1998. The Yankees couldn’t lose, and Joe Buck still sounded like he gave a shit…

• Heisenberg says:

Great one. I do wish you could get highlights that were a bit longer like the embeded video. I realize the pitch before was the part of the set up to Tino’s homer, but I’d just like a couple pitches beforehand on all big moments, just so it builds up a little.

18. anon says:

I miss the way there wasn’t a steady camera angle in the house.

19. billysbartender says:

always loved the shot of someones beverage flying off the old upper deck. goddam i miss the old upper deck. made homers beautiful!!

20. Slugger27 says:

i miss the siren that the stadium played during homeruns during the 90s dynasty.

21. JFH says:

It was a strike 1998 and is still a strike today. But, I remember those Yankees as being very good at taking advantage of 2nd chances. TM made the most of that extra pitch.

22. Uncle Mike says:

The Padres had already blown a 5-2 lead in the 7th. You do that, you don’t deserve to win the World Series, and San Diegans can stop complaining about it.

23. Owen says:

It didn’t occur to me at the time but Knoblauch looks like Emilio Estevez circa The Breakfast Club.

24. Foghorn Leghorn says:

this pitch right here is why i always debate against replays or just having replays on home runs. There have been many instances where a questionable call keeps an at bat going only to yield a key hit such as this.

what should’ve been strike 3 turns into 4 runs.

25. Accent Shallow says:

I’d never seen the overhead angle before. Previously, I’d thought that it was outside, and parallax made it look like a strike.

But . . . that’s a strike. Outer third, and certainly high enough. Probably the catcher’s fault, as someone mentioned upthread.