Nov

Open Thread: Name the 2011 Yankees

Spoiler: He’s one of the answers to the quiz. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Nothing terribly interesting has happened on this date in Yankees history, so instead I’ll leave you with this Sporcle quiz. All you have to do is name every player that played for the 2011 Yankees in ten minutes or less. Easy enough, right? Well, you’ll be surprised. I missed four players, but I thought only one of those four was obvious. Give a try, post your scores in the comments.

After you’ve done that, use this as your open thread. There is a football game tonight, the Jets are playing the Broncos in Denver at 8:20pm ET. The game will be on the NFL Network nationally and on WPIX 11 locally. The Islanders are also playing. Talk about whatever you like here, it’s all fair game.

Categories : Open Thread

1. I did that quiz last night and missed Sanit, Garrison, and Valdes. Got Buddy Carlyle with seconds to spare.

The 2009 Yankees quiz was also fun: http://www.sporcle.com/games/y.....09_yankees

2. matt says:

mike, which ones did u miss

3. Soriano Is A Liar says:

Man, that is tough, especially when you have most them filled in, with 10 blank RP spots open. I missed Sanit, Garrsion and Valdes too, plus Jeff Marquez.

4. Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

I got everybody except Steve Garrison and Raul Valdes. (although I had to look up how to spell Amauri Sanit)

5. Jimmy McNulty says:

New CBA is final.

6. Frank says:

Can’t believe I remembered Brian Gordon. missed buddy carlye….

7. Ed says:

How could I forget Pants Lendleton?????? And 7 forgettable others.

8. Mike HC says:

Missed 10, all relievers. Most disappointed with forgetting Mitre (although on second thought, I’m also quite thankful I don’t remember that) and also old favorite Proctor. The others I should have done better with considering the suburb minor league coverage here at RAB, but even then I couldn’t remember a bunch of those either.

• JAG says:

I forgot 10 too, all relievers, probably the same guys. I gave up with 50 seconds left after realizing I was never going to remember Sanit or Laffey’s names.

9. Dino Velvet says:

Red Sox September collapses continues into November

Lucchino undercut his new general manager by rejecting his strong recommendation for manager, and he has now taken hiring process away from baby-Ben and is focusing on… wait for it.. bobby Valentine. Talk about making a dysfunctional situation/team even worse.

• mt says:

Yes, dysfunctional process but I was shocked at the level of manager they had been considering.

They need somebody who can tell Josh Beckett (who given his 2 World Series probably thinks he knows everything in the world) and others like him to STFU when necesssary. I did not see Sveum and MacKanin doing that.

Bobby V has not won a World Series which may hurt him but he will get in people’s faces if need be.

10. mt says:

Missed 2 – Pena (oops) and Mitre(I am sure a mental block) – did pretty good remembering the Garrisons, Laffeys, and Sanits of the world.

11. Rey22 says:

Damn, completely forgot about Carlyle, Marquez, Laffey and Whelan. Felt good getting Sanit, Garrison and Valdes though.

12. vin says:

Pants, Carlyle, Sanit, Marquez, Proctor (doh). Maybe if I played the final 6 minutes I would’ve come up with them, but they’re fungible relievers anyway.

13. Thomas Cassidy says:

Cervelli
    Jones

The 2011 Yankees.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

I mean 2012.

• vin says:

So add Darvish, re-sign Jones and Chavez and call it an off-season? I’m down.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Unless the Yankees make a trade for a solid number two. The prices are too high for them I’d bet because the FA market sucks.

• Jesse says:

Here’s mine:

Sabathia
      Nova
      Hughes
      Burnett
      Garcia

Rivera
      Robertson
      Soriano
      Wade
      Logan
      (insert righty or 2nd loogy until Joba comes back)
      Noesi

Jeter
      Granderson
      Cano
      A-Rod
      Teixeira
      Swisher
      Jesus
      Martin
      Gardner

Nunez
      Laird
      Jones
      Cervelli (wouldn’t be surprised if it was someone else)

• Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat says:

Kontos
      Logan

Jones
      Dickerson
      Nunez
      Back up C

This would be opening day.
      Noesi would be in AAA starting along with Betances and Banuelos.
      And yes, I think they’ll “Derek Lowe” Burnett. (or at least put him in the pen)

• bankers hours says:

Sounds pretty close, I like Cano in the 4 hole between Arod and Tex and Montero ahead of Swisher, it gives left right all the way down the order and negates the 2 leftys at the top late in games with Grandy and Cano. I think it’ll help Arod a lot and Tex is still good protection for Cano. I think Cano will be the MVP next year. Darvish would be a great sign and protect the young players from being traded. I also like Buehrlue to replace Burnett even if the Yanks need to eat AJ’s salary to dump him. He’s too erratic and undependable. I’m tired of listening to game 2 of the 2009 WS, please.

14. Pat D says:

38. Only 38.

I’m ashamed.

15. J says:

If they did this quiz every year I would continue to guess Mitre. It’s always interesting to see how they can manage to bring him aboard for his obligatory handful of mop-ups each year.

16. bg90027 says:

Every time there’s a quiz like that, I waste about 30 seconds trying to remember how to spell Tex’s name. I always forget the i between the e and the x.

It also wouldn’t accept my spellings of “that reliever Luis Somethingorother” for Ayala and “that other scrub lefty” for Aaron Laffey.

17. Damix says:

Missed 10. All RP (Except Brian Gordon)

18. Jesse says:

I didn’t do so great, 41 out of 48. I missed Joba (I feel terrible about that), Carlyle, Gustavo Molina, Garrison, Brackman, Pants, and Sanit.

19. Ed says:

This quiz is clearly malfunctioning. I tried answering “Feliciano” and it wouldn’t work. Did I spell it wrong, maybe?

20. It'sATarp says:

Brian Gordon, Sanit, Marquez and Garrison…curse you AAA yankees. I actually spent the season trying to remember the names knowing one day there will be a sprocle quiz on it and my friend would make me take it =\

21. Jesse says:

Here’s the Mitchell Report quiz.

I’m not even going to begin to try it, at the moment I can only remember a small handful, but thought I’d pass it along if someone does want to try it.

22. Stratman9652 says:

Actually spelling Tex’s name out cost me at least a minute. I before E my ass.

23. Howie says:

44/48

Missed Pants Lendleton, Sanit, Proctor and Marquez

24. Yes That One says:

Missed eight including Mark Teixeira… yes, seriously. Forgot all about him.

• JAG says:

I only remembered him when I realized the number in parentheses was the number of games played at that position. The thought process went: “Who on earth played 150 games at 1B? …oh. Right. …how do I spell that…”

25. Plank says:

Anyone have a guess where Brackman will play next year?

26. bexarama says:

I missed freaking Montero.

27. Chip says:

Ugh, stupid relievers. I missed Sanit, Gordon, Carlyle, Marquez (don’t remember him playing at all), Proctor and Valdez.

28. Crime Dog says:

Scott Proctor was the only one I missed. Scott. Proctor.

Strikes Again

29. Stratman9652 says:

Seriously couldn’t figure out why “Lendleton” wasn’t working.

30. Alex C. says:

Wow, I almost nailed the quiz, I completely forgot about Buddy Carlyle & Amauri Sanit.

31. YanksFanInBeantown says:

37/48

10 Relievers and Brian Gordon, but I should have known Boone Logan and Scott Proctor

32. Dino Velvet says:

Sanchez = Bust

33. scooter10 says:

Missed five…. Ayala, Pendleton, Sanit, Carlyle, Marquez. Should have gotten Ayala and Pendleton.

34. KenC says:

Missed three. Marquez, Garrison, and MEAT TRAY!

35. LazzeriScooter says:

Tebow FTW!!!

You da Man!!

36. Yo! I'm Chris says:

46/48 missed Pants & Sanit.

37. I got 44/48

Missed:
    Laird (stupid)
    Kontos (slightly less stupid)
    Marquez (slightly less stupid
    Whelan (acceptable)

38. Brian in NH says:

i’m embarassed to admit i only got 35. can’t believe i missed wade a boone logan

39. Leg-End says:

Jeff Marquez cost me a perfect score.

40. Operation Slade says:

I feel so dumb 47/48…I missed Betances!!!

41. Ed says:

I got 43 out of 48. I missed Brian Gordon, Buddy Carlyle, Jeff Marquez, Kevin Whelan, and Steve Garrison.

I should have gotten Carlyle, pretty upset with myself.

42. Chris G. says:

I got lucky. I got 48/48. I almost forgot about Granderson though and thought I typed in Montero but didn’t. Good thing I looked over the list real well or else I would have missed those two. I was too busy thinking about the Gordon’s, Laffey’s, Sanit’s, and Valdes’s. Got em all though which makes me happy.