Nov

Yankees sign Jayson Nix

Via Joel Sherman, the Yankees have signed utility infielder Jayson Nix to a minor league contract with an invite to Spring Training. Thanks to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, they’ll have to pay him a $100k bonus if he’s not added to the 40-man roster or released just before Opening Day.

Nix, 29, spent last season with the Blue Jays. He’s a terrible hitter, owning a .207/.280/.368 batting line (.286 wOBA) in 869 career plate appearances. He did manage to hit 26 homers in 653 plate appearances from 2009-2010 though, so there is some pop in his bat. Nix has played second, short, and third extensively in recent years, and he’s also filled in at both corner outfield spots. His defensive stats aren’t anything special though. It’s just a depth move, I doubt he has much of a shot of making the team.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Brian S. says:

Championship.

2. CANO FAN #1 says:

So good bye chavez

3. Michaeljpoole says:

Hi

Can somebody explain to me how this $100k CBA bonus works, I missed that part of the new deal

thanks
    mike

• Plank says:

If he doesn’t make the team, he will be put in the minors and paid 100K. He gets to opt out at a certain date. I think it’s June 30. He gets paid like a big leaguer for a few months and the Yankees get to keep him until the opt out date at least in case they need him in the majors.

I believe that’s how it works. Feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted.

4. Michaeljpoole says:

and if they cut him during Spring Training, no need to pay?

5. Rainbow Connection says:

My sources tell me that they actually nixed Jayson Sign.

6. felixpanther says:

insurance in case Nunez get trade

• YankeeFan16 says:

That’s what I’m thinking Felix, I think they have a trade in the works that includes Nunez

• mustang says:

Agree something is coming.

• Rookie says:

Seems logical to me.

Also, I don’t know what I’m missing, but his defensive stats look good to me. And when you combine them with the fact that he’s hit pretty well in the minors, it looks like he could turn out to be a pretty decent utility player — especially given his age and his cost.

7. UYF1950 says:

Just my opinion but can he can’t possibly be any worst than Pena.

• MannyGeee says:

This. Peña is a glove first utility infielder, who was actually kinda mediocre in the field last season… I like the depth move, think he might get a call up if he sticks when A Rods inevitable quad strain/oblique pull/broken vagina comes knocking in May….