Dec

Open Thread: WPIX and the 1987 Yankees

Ah yes, the pre-YES Network days. Remember when WPIX Channel 11 and MSG broadcast Yankees games? That seems like a lifetime ago now. That’s back when Tim McCarver was actually a pretty good announcer, though he was doing Mets games back then. With all due respect to the guys calling the games now, it’s going to be tough to top the days of Jim Kaat, Bobby Murcer, and Phil Rizzuto in the booth.

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. As far as local sports go, all you’ve got is the Nets at the Knicks in each teams’ first preseason game (7:30pm ET on MSG). Talk about anything you like here, go bananas.

(h/t @flipflopflying)

Categories : Open Thread

1. CMP says:

I remember the days of Phil Rizzuto on WPIX when he was with Bill White and Frank Messer. That was a great team too.

• dc1874 says:

And if you remember they would split it up..2 guys would work TV and the other would work radio SOLO..for thrre innings..then switch around…for another three innings…then the final three innings..it was great hearing the scooter on the radio by himself back in those days!!!!

2. OldYanksFan says:

I started watching the Yankees on WPIX in 1965, on a 12″ B&W TV. However, during that era, I got to hear the greatest broadcast team ever…. The Scooter, Joe. G and Jerry Coleman.

These guys were HIGHLY entertaining… and if you know anything about the 1965-1969 Yankees, you’ll understand… they had to be.

3. OldYanksFan says:

@BMP: They turned into a good team, but both Messer and White, and especially Bill White, were horrid their first year or 3.

• Jesse says:

I think you mean CMP. And in case you don’t see it, there’s a dark blue reply button you can hit to reply directly at the person’s comment you want to reply at. Just trying to help.

4. CJ says:

Texas going after Andrew Bailey now too? If cashman is a ninja what is Jon Daniels?

5. Jesse says:

Quick question, was the first Javy Vazquez prior to the 2004 season a Cashman move or a Steinbrenner move?

6. CJ says:

Does anyone else watch Yankees baseball daily? I dont see many references to it?

7. Craig Maduro says:

Don’t forget about the Tar Heels vs. Texas game. Some of us are lucky enough to bleed the two best shades of blue.

8. CANO FAN #1 says:

If Cole hamels go to the free agent next year what contract you can give to him? I think 6 year 90M is pretty good.

9. Steve (different one) says:

Anyone remember the WPIX “video games”? They would show something like space invaders on the screen, you would call in and if they put you on the air, you would say “pix” to shoot and play the game. Anyone?

10. Gonzo says:

“This Bud’s for you!”

When did they get rid of that?

11. Jesse says:

So, Sean Marshall got traded to the Reds for Travis Wood and two minor leaguers. Any ideas who the two minor leaugers are and what the Yankee equivalent of a trade for Marshall would be? Just curious.

• vin says:

I guess the closest equivalent to Wood is Nova. Wood has a bit more service time. They both pitch in hitters’ parks, although Wood is in the NL… but he is left-handed, which is a plus.

Marshall is really good, but I’m not sure I’d trade a 24 year old left-handed starter with 4 years of control for him. And I don’t believe we know who the minor leaguers are. I don’t worship at the altar of Theo, but he does orchestrate some good baseball moves.

• Robert says:

Nova is alot better than Wood.Wood was 6-6 a WHIP of 1.5, with a ERA of 4.84. Nova was 16-4 a WHIP of 1.3 ,with a ERA of 3.70 in the Al east.

12. Steve H says:

Would you trade AJ (2 years/$33 million) for Peavy 1/$21 mil?

13. Billion$Bullpen says:

Kuroda vs. Oswalt? What are peoples thoughts on that and also on the idea of throwing both of them a one year offer with the idea of whoever signs it first gets it?

• Gonzo says:

To be honest, I’m coming around to the idea of just relying on the AAA depth.

• CMP says:

I don’t see how you could be comfortable with that plan.

Right now the only starting pitcher who is pretty much a sure thing to be better than league average is CC. I can see letting the kids battle it out for a couple of spots in the rotation but considering they refuse to pull Burnett (who’s sure to be among the worst starters in the league), I think bare minimum they need another guy you can count on for a 3+ WAR season like they got out of Colon.

• Gonzo says:

I am not sold on either of those two wanting to come to NY. Then expecting a 3 war season from them is tough considering age, injury, and new league/division.

I’d rather get someone else or stand pat.

• steve (different one) says:

Would be happy with either. I am intrigued by the idea of Oswalt on a one year “make good” contract, where he is intentionally trying to restore his market value. Despite the lazy pace of this off-season, I do believe the Yankees will wind up acquiring SOMEONE. No idea who though.

14. Granderslam says:

Jon Heyman wrote that the Yankees aren’t “in” on Oswalt because they have prioritized others. Um, we have heard nothing on the Yankees lately. Any word on who they are prioritizing?

15. Mark says:

The best part of that entire bit is the beginning – with Rudy Giuliani’s ex-wife introducing . She looks doable.

• RetroRob says:

I have an eye doctor for you.

Perhaps it’s just the 80′s hairstyle and the grainy picture quality.

Seriously, I saw the name and was trying to remember why I knew Donna Hanover’s name. Forgot about the Rudy thing.

16. Plank says:

I cringed when I saw the bat and top hat Yankees logo. That thing is terrible.

17. mbonzo says:

White Sox and Danks agree to extension.

My jaw just dropped. Wow.

• James A says:

Yea, I guess that Andy Pettitte 2.0 isn’t going to happen. Gavin Floyd?

• Plank says:

Thank goodness. He never captured my imagination. The should we trade for Danks storyline has to be my least favorite of the past few years.

• Gonzo says:

Looks like they got a decent deal too. Who’s next Cain, Hamels?

• mbonzo says:

To extend? Cain.

Hamels will reach free agency.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’m certain Cain will sign an extension at some point. Hamels I’m not too sure of, but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. Cain not signing an extension would surprise me.

• BK2ATL says:

I wasn’t all in on Danks, but if we got him without parting with Montero and Banuelos, I’d be okay with it. I’ve always thought that we need another quality lefty in the rotation. Chicago locked him up for a reasonable deal.

I think neither Cain nor Hamels will reach FA. Both SF and Philly have the abundant resources to pony up for these 2. That’s just a lot of wishful thinking by Yankees’ fans, just like the Matt Kemp thing.

We really just need to suck it up for a season or 2 and let our own kids (Banuelos, Betances, Noesi, Warren, Phelps, etc.) pitch in MLB and possibly become decent MLB pitchers in the Bronx rather than depending on some team to discard their young ace, OR signing some scrap heap reject.

Yeah it worked out with Colon and Garcia, but I wouldn’t keep going to that lucky well. I’m more than okay with letting the Nova’s and Noesi’s and Robertson’s solidify the staff after CC and Mariano, until Banuelos and Betances are ready.

• RetroRob says:

Robertson? He’s a reliever and will and should remain such.

I’m more than happy for the Yankees to start giving their fleet of young arms greater chances, including living with the growing pains.

• BK2ATL says:

My point was that we gave Robertson a chance to actually pitch in the Bronx, rather than AAA and trade bait. Most were so focused only on Joba, that they didn’t realize how effective Robertson was in 2009 in high pressure situations. I wasn’t surprised by Robertson’s effectively in 2011.

Same with Nova, finally given a legit chance. Hopefully, the same with Noesi and Phelps or Warren. These aren’t the highly-regarded prospects that are actually producing, given the chance. No coddling, no “rules.” They just pitch effectively.

Next up, Banuelos and Betances, hopefully.

• Westcoastyankfan says:

Another door closed

18. Gio says:

knicks/nets is actually their second preseason game, both against each other.

19. BigDavey88 says:

Well that sucks about Danks.

20. RetroRob says:

Reported 5/65, or $13 million per, I’m guessing added to his 2012, so that puts him under team control for six years.

Considering Danks is 26 and how been successful, I was always suprised he was on the market. Maybe he never really was.

21. James d. says:

You know, for a decent amount of readers here, the pre-YES days literally were a lifetime ago. Hell, that 1987 promo was during my age-3 season (I would screw up people’s age projections were I a major league because my birthday is July 2, a day after the B-R cutoff).

Also, Donna Hanover is sure as hell cheery talking about “the cocaine connection in the tragic King suicide pact!”

22. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

1987 Open Thread! I know it wasn’t done for my benefit, but thank you anyway!

23. Claudell says:

Notice the EMPTY right field seats at 0:18 in the video. I remember seeing / going to a lot of games like that back in the day.

• James d. says:

I’d say that almost all the way up to the A-Rod trade, you could go on certain weekday nights against bad teams, or to 1 p.m. Saturday games and see huge swaths of empty seats. After all, Steinbrenner was making noise about moving the team even after the World Series wins started happening.
      Admittedly, the late ’80s were probably worse for that type of attendance.

24. Chop It Up says:

How did nobody mention the sweet Bon Jovi intro? For the 80′s, that was actually a pretty cool promo.