Dec

The price for Gio Gonzalez

We already know what the White Sox are seeking for John Danks (though that may change given their imminent rebuild), and today Joel Sherman fills us in on what the Athletics want in exchange for Gio Gonzalez: young, high-end outfielders. Oakland is hilariously thin in the outfield, but so are the Yankees, at least at the Double-A and Triple-A levels. That means they’d likely have to swing a three-team swap to make everyone happy, except me of course. Gio has gotten pretty overrated over the last few weeks, something the hot stove is guilty of doing time and time again. Do not want.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Thomas Cassidy says:

Yankees get Gio Gonzalez
    Athletics get Julio Borbon, Engel Beltre, Mason Williams, and Dellin Betances
    Rangers get Andrew Bailey

Any good?

2. RetroRob says:

I want.

There is no price associated with him yet.

3. nsalem says:

Gio has taken some bad beatings against The Rays, Tigers Yankees and Red Sox over the course of his career. He has pitched well against the Rangers at home but not the case in Arlington. I agree with Mike.

4. jjyank says:

Also do not want. The walk rates scare me. Patient teams like the Red Sox will eat him up in the AL East. He’s got a lot of strikeout talent, but the walks are too scary.

5. William says:

Top Young AL East pitchers
    1. Moore
    2. Banuelos
    3. Price
    4.Helickson
    5. Romero
    6. Buccholz
    7 Nova
    8 Britton
    9 Hughes
    10 Betances

6. Jumpin' Jack Swisher says:

They want a lot. I wouldn’t give up any of the Yanks’ top five prospects for him. Pass.

7. Monteroisdinero says:

The A’s want Golson? Ok and we’ll throw in Romine and Warren/Phelps or Mitchell.

8. CP says:

You know who else has gotten pretty over rated? Danks.

• Thomas Cassidy says:

Thank you. Matt Garza is who I’d prefer.

• nycsportzfan says:

exactly! I mean how is JOhn Danks so highly talked about around here but Gio is a slouch??lol Danks hasen’t ever had a yr as good as GIO has pitched the past 2yrs! Gios also younger and probably not even in his prime quite yet! I don’t get why Danks is talked about on here better then GIO or JAIR for that matter! So what if Gio walks a couple extra guys a game? He can strike guys out and he can pitch to a all most sub 3 era and hes young! GIO is the guy out there for trade in my opinion! Danks and whoever come a distant 2nd to GIO!

Gios freaking 25 yrs old for godsake! Hes all ready won 15games back to back yrs and gotten slightly better one yr to the next! Why would anyone think hes not gonna get a bit better going forward? Its just not logical to think like that! OH wait hes a 25yr old kid who walks a tad to many batters LOL Ya Thats enough to turn you off(sarcasm) lol What 25yr old kid who can K 10guys on any given day dosen’t walk a tad to many?

9. Cy Pettitte says:

“Told #A’s asked #Yankees for either Banuelos or Betances, plus Montero for Gio Gonzalez. Not happening.”

c’mon man.

10. LiterallyFigurative says:

Gio has stuff, but the walks concern me, and moving to the AL East isn’t likely to help matters. Now, he is young, and may figure out a way to curb the walks as he progresses, but why would I give up 2 out of the 3 big prospects for that?

Gio Gonzalez might just be Manny Banuelos, a few years older.

Danks might be overrated, but in all likelyhood the asking price is lower.

11. John says:

I dont think hes overrated….He would be great in New York…especially with run support…He had a 3.12 ERA last year….I know hes in the West but you still face teams like the Rangers. I would trade for him..