Jan

Report: Yankees have talked to Damon about DH’ing

Via Jon Heyman, the Yankees have spoken to Johnny Damon about potentially returning to New York to DH. There’s a “very small chance” they would consider Jorge Posada for the role even though his retirement is not yet official, and apparently they don’t have much money to spend. We heard that before they gave Hiroki Kuroda $10M, right?

I plan on looking at Damon a bit more tomorrow, but I do think there’s some merit to bringing him back as a part-time DH. If nothing else, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Johnny rebounded nicely with the Rays last year, hitting 16 homers with 19 steals a year after going eight and eleven with the Tigers. His walk rate (7.9%) was his lowest in six years however, and we shouldn’t ignore any signs of decline at age 38.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Rainbow Pinstripes says:

I think I’d rather go with Andruw.

2. Mark in VT says:

What about Eric Chavez? Doesn’t it make sense to have a rotation of starters along with Jones and Chavez?

3. Nick87 says:

“Yanks not is a financial position to sign a DH bat.”

That old chestnut.

I know these beat writers can only tell us what there “person with knowledge” tells them, but really. They have spent the whole offseason telling this about the rotation, then Yanks sign Kuroda.

• CJ says:

Blah blah blah.
      “Nick swisher is our first baseman. Noesi will be in rotation. Montero is pujols-like. Bubba Crosby is our cf.”
      Whatever is said publicly, the opposite is more likely to happen.

4. candyforstalin says:

I do think there’s some merit to bringing him back as a part-time DH.

nope.

• radnom says:

Insightful and well reasoned response. Can you name a better option for a lefthanded DH at Damon’s likely price? If Pena is too expensive, he would be a solid plan B.

• candyforstalin says:

2010 vs rhp .337 woba
        2011 vs rhp .313 woba

betemit. hell, posada.

• Preston says:

I do think his reverse platoon split last year is worrisome, since Andruw will be deservedly getting all the AB’s against Lefties. But that is a one year phenomenon and I can’t think of a reason why you would get a reverse platoon split as a result of aging. If anything you’d think you’d get a more pronounced platoon split (like Jeter). Betemit makes some sense, but he’s atrocious defensively and after the numbers he put up in 2011 I’m sure he’s looking to go somewhere he can play a larger role (obviously if this doesn’t happen and he can be had cheaply let’s grab him). Posada needs to stay retired.

• Matt DiBari says:

I still have nightmares of the last goround with Betemit.

• Preston says:

If signing Betemit was guaranteed to end the same way as last time I’d do it in a heartbeat. I’m a sucker for the Swish Hawk.

5. Another Bronx Dynasty says:

Why not talk Posada out of retirement? After all leveryones crying over Montero & saying he is a Posada type catcher…bring back one of the Core 4 for 1 more yr & lets go for a ring!

Last yr after all he had a hard time accepting his role but when he did he did well. In tha ALDS he was clutch…typical Posada.

6. Granderslam says:

Any chance the Yankees can swing a trade for a hitter? Just wondering… I feel like with all that leftover talent, there might be some opportunities… ? Although I don’t like the idea toooo much, I’m not completely opposed to bringing Damon back, I just would prefer someone with a bit more power (Pena-esque).

• RkyMtnYank says:

Damon hit 16 homers with a .261 avg last year and he has a nice YS swing. I would take that over Pena’s what, 18 homers, and that Mo awful .200 avg.

• whozat says:

What happens when you consider numbers that reflect offensive capability more effectively, like power and discipline rate stats?

• RkyMtnYank says:

Not much at all. How many homers do you think Pena will hit? Maybe a couple more than Damon, so that is negligible. Yeah, Pena walks a little bit more but not enough to matter.
          So you think because Pena can hit the ball really really far it makes him offensive capable? I’m not impressed.

• Mike Axisa says:

A couple more? Pena’s hit 28 HR the last two years and that’s his lowest total in the last five seasons. Damon’s career high is 24, and he’s 38.

• candyforstalin says:

for the love of god.

• whozat says:

No, I’m talking about the fact that Pena walked 16.7% of the time last year and Damon walked 7.9%. Which led to Pena having an OBP 30 points higher than Johnny. Which is a big difference.

• Needed Pitching says:

The role would be mostly against RHP.
            Pena vs. RHP last season – .255AVG/.892 OPS/ .383 wOBA
            Damon: 255/715/313

not even close

• RkyMtnYank says:

So statistically you all make some good points. Pena would be marginally better but in part time duty who knows what that would turn into. Especially for the money.
              I’m not a big Damon fan by any stretch but I know do know how painful it is for me to watch Pena so I’d rather not do that.

• Needed Pitching says:

Marginally better??? .383 wOBA isn’t marginally better than .313 wOBA. And part time duty is slightly understating it. Pena could easily start 100+ games even if he was a strict platoon player. .383 wOBA over 100+ starts sounds good to me. As for the money, we don’t know what it would take to sign either, or how much the Yankees are willing to spend, so it’s really impossible to evaluate that aspect of it.

• G says:

I see you’ve discovered time travel. Impressive, I didn’t think we had those in 1985.

This is 2012, please use a real stat like OPS or wOBA. By those measurements Peña is a great hitter.

Peña vs. Righties in 2011: .892 OPS
                Andruw vs. Lefties in 2011: .923 OPS

Put those two in a platoon and you’ve got one hell of a DH.

7. Ken says:

Trade pitching depth for a DH. Any shot at trading AJ for Adam Dunn? Maybe move some bullpen depth for a good bat? Rafael Soriano could go………..

8. Matt says:

I really think Wilson betemit would be perfect to fill the Chavez role from last year an he could be someone who could dh occasionally

9. Plank says:

Damon didn’t really decline or rebound last year. He had the same season he’s had for the past decade and a half with the exception of a few blips here and there. His career has been freakishly consistent.

Can he do it one more year? Probably, though he’s going to get too old one of these years and age 38 is a good guess as the year it will happen. Do I want him in pinstripes? Not when there are better players at similar or lower prices *cough*Pena*cough*.

If it’s a week before spring training and he’s the only one left without a partner, I would be happy to have him back. Not at this point.

• Plank says:

DHs I would rather have than Damon:

Fielder (I know)
      Pena
      Manny Ramirez (I know, I know)
      Kotchman

Butler would be cool if he was available, but I think Pena is better, costs about the same salary, and don’t have to trade Phil Hughes to get him.

10. Brooklyn Ed says:

Take this as a gain of salt…

The New York Yankees have dominated Major League Baseball’s headlines lately for their free agent signing of Hiroki Kuroda and trade for Michael Pineda in recent days. Now they might be at it again for a potent bat to add to their line-up. The latest rumor on the Interwebs has the Kansas City Royals dealing Billy Butler to the Yankees in some deal that includes young pitcher Phil Hughes of the Yankees.

• Granderslam says:

I wish, but it doesn’t seem too credible.

• JohnnyC says:

If they’re bent on keeping their payroll down, it won’t help that Butler is making $8 million in 2012. If they’re willing to pay 8 mil, they’ll sign a FA and keep Hughes, no?

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Agree. And he’s making a lot through 2014. I would like to see Phil go in a trade for a good young hitter with a favorable contract. I’m not interested in Damon or Lee. I’d like to see the hitter provide roster flexibility on the defensive side too and platoon with Jones at DH.

• CJ says:

It makes sense. Kc has hosner moustakas gordon, and I think they have another big hitting prospect (not sure). I’m sure there are teams that really like Hughes, especially outside if NY.

• Landry says:

This almost makes too much sense to happen. I don’t know if he can now, but he spent about half his minor league games in the outfield.

11. P says:

I don’t even see how Carlos Pena vs Damon is a debate. You sign Pena, without hesitation

12. JobaWockeeZ says:

Bring back Matsui so my Montero missing can be somewhat cured.

13. Mark L. says:

If we’re going for a pure DH, might as well save a few million and sign Michael Aubrey to a mL deal

14. Mickey S says:

Manny. On a one year, one million dollar deal.

15. Rey22 says:

Russel Branyan for a platoon DH with Jones. He’ll probably be cheap, hit a couple of bombs at YS, and if he sucks, ditch him and trade for someone at the deadline. He sucked last year, but before that he’s always been a decent option against righties.

16. Heisenberg says:

Seth Smith for Phil Hughes

• CS Yankee says:

Rox get Swisher, Hughes, AJ, Cervelli, Warren & Gardner (plus 20M$ for AJ)
      Yanks get CarGo & Seth Smith

/beyonddreaming’d

17. Monterowasdinero says:

Pena is the guy.

Damon second choice.

Jorge for old timer’s day.

18. tony says:

Lets see where the guy is now. I believe machine said I’m the only one who thinks Damon makes sense. Where are you now.

19. Monterowasdinero says:

Pineda/Kuroda/Pena

will have to help us recover from Montero shock….

20. UncleArgyle says:

If the Yankees are really looking for a platoon DH on the cheap there is an option that might make some sense. Now saying his name makes my skin crawl, but statistically there is merit. JD Drew. Yeah he has no heart and is a pussy, but besides last year he absolutely destroys right handed pitching. He’s younger than Damon and is still an asset in the field. An Andruw Jones/JD Drew DH could be monsterous….and cost effective. Just a thought

21. Dalelama says:

Lets just make Damon our designated post season clutch hitter. It is the one big thing this team is missing.

22. Nathan says:

I wouldn’t mind Johnny back for nostalgia reasons. As long as the price is right and he understands he’ll likely split DH duties. My guess is that Johnny signs somewhere he can get the most ABs to get to 3000.

23. Ken says:

I really think Jason Bay could be the guy. We deal AJ or other BS contracts for him. Or the Mets eat a chunk of his hefty contract……….