Feb

Open Thread: 2/14 Camp Notes

Jesus in the cage today. I has a sad.

Spring Training hasn’t officially started yet, but there’s a contingent of players already down in Tampa preparing for the season. It’s never too early to starting rounding up camp notes, I know we’re all yearning for baseball. All of the source links go to Twitter, so while you don’t have to necessarily click them, you should follow all of the writers covering the team. They work hard 12 months a year to give us all the info we crave, so show them some support. Here’s what happened today…

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone, here’s your open thread. The Rangers, Islanders, Devils, and Knicks are all playing tonight, but talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

(Photo via Geoff Baker)

Categories : Open Thread

1. LawStudent says:

Seems like all our pitchers emphasize their changeups in camp.

2. the creator says:

i love the comment about Adams.

3. Dropped Third says:

Anyone else the the report the yankees have “serious interest” in jorge soler?

4. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Finally a “Little” buddy to replace Leche for Cano.

5. Jimmy McNulty says:

Thoughts on the Mystery team for Burnett? I’m gonna guess the Reds.

• Johnny says:

Phillies.

They’d like to continue the tread of stupid offseason signings—Papelbon, Pierre et al just aren’t enough.

• MannyGeee says:

I love the thought that it could be Miami just because I would love to see Ozzie’s head explode when AJ has a BAD AJ day.

that could be sooooooooo much goddam fun.

• Garcia says:

If Dave Duncan were still around, I’d say the Cardinals.

But in all seriousness, I’m on board with the Reds. Jocketty has been pretty wily thus far this offseason, and they could use AJ as an insurance policy for Chapman’s rotation transition, Cueto’s fragility, Leake/Bailey’s development, and Latos’s ego.

AJ would also make a legendary tandem with Bronson Arroyo if they both stayed in the rotation. I’d put the over/under at 80 HR allowed.

6. RetroRob says:

Cano and Pineda friends.

Roger Clemens has a problem with this.

7. Nick says:

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining a first year keeper league. I’m looking for 5 more active owners. http://games.espn.go.com/flb/l.....gueId=1485
    Here are the league settings.

8. Monterowasdinero says:

Montero in the Arizona sun: Oh the agony.

9. Slu says:

Who in camp is in the best shape of their life?

10. Troy and Abed says:

How can you post that picture? I was perfectly fine pretending Montero was not traded and perhaps he just never existed. In all seriousness though, I think I like the Pineda trade but that picture is depressing.

11. Craig says:

Too soon to order my Pineda #35 shirsey?

12. Johnny says:

By the way, how bad is it going to be when the Mariners come to the Bronx and Montero drops a bomb off Pineda into the right field stands

13. DR says:

I have to present a potential topic for a paper in my Historical Methods class to my professor tomorrow. I want to do something baseball related. Does anyone have any suggestions on topics about baseball that relate to politics or U.S. history?

• Mr. Green Jeans says:

what about the free agent issues and curt flood. that is interesting stuff.

• Johnny says:

Curt Flood is totally a great call. Reserve clause sounds it would be good for what you’re looking for. Of course, Ken Burns’ Baseball and Lords of the Realm are probably good starting points.

• Sarah says:

Lots to choose from.

Why baseball/pro-sports get an antitrust exemption.
      The labor movement and baseball/pro sports.
      You might be able to find good material on the Congressional investigation into steroids. Look at cultural/political influences on the feds being involved in a wholly private matter.

• G says:

This can get iffy, but I wrote a research paper on how baseball in the 1920s affected American life, focusing mainly on its power as a unifying force in a time of division.

Baseball: The Golden Age has fantastic info that supported the paper really well. Got a 98 on it too, so I guess it’s a legitimate enough topic.

14. Foghorn Leghorn says:

just read that Henry and Werner are off to jolly ‘ol England to deal with their racist soccer player. i hope that investment continues to take his focus off the red sox.

15. Mr. Green Jeans says:

Lin does it again…this is awesome…and I don’t think it has anything to do with race.

16. Garcia says:

I once wrote a paper about the beyond-baseball politics of the Negro Leagues, specifically about how Commissioner Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis was a very well connected man and was heavily influenced by segregationist national politicians of the day. I also spent a good deal of time talking about how NY State’s Fair Employment Practices Act and the Quinn-Ives Act basically forced Branch Rickey into integrated the Dodgers long before he planned to.

Another interesting take would be the position that is taken by some African American historians – namely that integration was just another way for white business owners to oppress African Americans. The Negro Leagues/teams were arguably among the most prosperous black-owned business ventures of the early 20th century, and not everyone feels as though integration was a step in the right direction for racial equality in sports.

17. RobertGKramer@AOL.Com says:

Mike, How does Justin Maxwell’s shoulder look?