Happy Thursday, here’s the latest from Tampa…
- “His delivery’s really good right now. He’s way ahead of schedule,” said pitching coach Larry Rothschild about Ivan Nova. “There’s a quiet confidence to him.” Rothschild also said the rotation order behind CC Sabathia has not been determined, but that’s not surprising. (Erik Boland, Anthony McCarron & Dan Barbarisi)
- Derek Jeter, Ramiro Pena, Frankie Cervelli, and Curtis Granderson were among those who took batting practice with hitting coach Kevin Long and Charlie Hayes in attendance. (Boland, Barbarisi & McCarron)
- Hayes is in camp because his son threw for the Yankees brass today. Tyree Hayes, 23, spent the last six years in the Rays and Reds organizations, pitching to a 4.11 ERA with 6.6 K/9 (16.9 K%) and 3.4 BB/9 (8.7 BB%) in 341.2 IP. He never made it out of A-ball though. (McCarron)
- Cervelli took some ground balls at third base, which is as much about shaking off rust as it is working towards becoming a legitimate option at the position. He’s already the emergency infielder, we know that. (McCarron)
- Boone Logan showed up and did some work with strength and conditioning coach Dana Cavalea. (McCarron & Boland)
Also, condolences to Gary Carter’s family. The Hall of Fame backstop passed away at age 57 today following a bout with cancer. You couldn’t be a baseball loving kid in New York in the late-80’s without knowing who The Kid was. For shame.
Here is tonight’s open thread. The Rangers, Islanders, and Nets are all playing, but talk about whatever’s on your mind. enjoy.