Pitchers and catchers had their first official workout of 2012 today, a day after reporting to camp and taking physicals. We’ve already recapped Joe Girardi’s press conference, but here’s some other news and notes from Tampa…
- Chad Jennings has the full list of bullpen and hitting groups. All six members of the five-man rotation threw today, though the only non-catchers to hit were David Adams and Justin Maxwell. Both are coming off injuries.
- Speaking of injuries, Russell Martin said he wants to be smarter about trying to play through them this year. Anecdotally, he seemed to hit better when getting regular rest last year, so Frankie Cervelli is pretty important in 2012. [Buster Olney]
- Michael Pineda threw a few sliders today, which surprised Girardi since it’s still so early in camp. Martin liked what he saw though, specifically that slider. He also said Pineda’s command was much better than expected. [Jack Curry & Mark Feinsand]
- Phil Hughes is ahead of schedule, throwing 40 pitches today when most other guys are throwing 20-25. Reliable velocity readings won’t come until the games start, however. [Andrew Marchand]
- Mariano Rivera‘s delayed arrival to Spring Training lasted all of one day. The closer was in camp today, and he told reporters that he knows what he’s going to do after the season as far as retirement or another contract. “I know now, but I don’t have to tell you,” he joked. Sadface. [Feinsand & Olney]
- The group of guest instructors this year includes Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Goose Gossage, Ron Guidry, Tino Martinez, David Wells, Lee Mazzilli, and Lou Piniella. [Pete Caldera]
- As you see above, A.J. Burnett was in Pirates camp today. He spoke to Kevin Kernan yesterday, and said pretty much exactly what you’d expect him to say. He’s turning the page, he’ll remember his time with the Yankees fondly, yadda yadda yadda.
Here’s your open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are playing each other, and that’s pretty much all you’ve got in terms of local sports. You folks know what to do though, so have at it.
[Photo via the Pirates]