Feb

Open Thread: 2/20 Camp Notes

A.J. showed up to work in a different part of Florida today.

Pitchers and catchers had their first official workout of 2012 today, a day after reporting to camp and taking physicals. We’ve already recapped Joe Girardi’s press conference, but here’s some other news and notes from Tampa…

• Chad Jennings has the full list of bullpen and hitting groups. All six members of the five-man rotation threw today, though the only non-catchers to hit were David Adams and Justin Maxwell. Both are coming off injuries.
  • Speaking of injuries, Russell Martin said he wants to be smarter about trying to play through them this year. Anecdotally, he seemed to hit better when getting regular rest last year, so Frankie Cervelli is pretty important in 2012. [Buster Olney]
  • Michael Pineda threw a few sliders today, which surprised Girardi since it’s still so early in camp. Martin liked what he saw though, specifically that slider. He also said Pineda’s command was much better than expected. [Jack Curry & Mark Feinsand]
  • Phil Hughes is ahead of schedule, throwing 40 pitches today when most other guys are throwing 20-25. Reliable velocity readings won’t come until the games start, however. [Andrew Marchand]
  • Mariano Rivera‘s delayed arrival to Spring Training lasted all of one day. The closer was in camp today, and he told reporters that he knows what he’s going to do after the season as far as retirement or another contract. “I know now, but I don’t have to tell you,” he joked. Sadface. [Feinsand & Olney]
  • The group of guest instructors this year includes Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Goose Gossage, Ron Guidry, Tino Martinez, David Wells, Lee Mazzilli, and Lou Piniella. [Pete Caldera]
  • As you see above, A.J. Burnett was in Pirates camp today. He spoke to Kevin Kernan yesterday, and said pretty much exactly what you’d expect him to say. He’s turning the page, he’ll remember his time with the Yankees fondly, yadda yadda yadda.

Here’s your open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are playing each other, and that’s pretty much all you’ve got in terms of local sports. You folks know what to do though, so have at it.

[Photo via the Pirates]

1. Rebecca says:

Mo sounds like he’s doing what Moose did. =(

• Delaware - Ralph says:

I just hope he does indeed announce his retirement during the year so that he can get the type of send off that the great one deserves.

• Johnny says:

I don’t feel all doom and gloom over this being Rivera’s last season (which it appears it is). I’m looking forward to seeing Robertson enshrined in that position, and him hopefully being a Yankee lifer as well.

2. BronxBombers98 says:

Hi guys, I currently have 9 spots that I need to fill in my Yahoo fantasy baseball team. The I.D. number is 42871 and the password is moneyball. The live draft is set to for Sunday, March 11th at 6 pm est.

3. TinoBambino24 says:

Burnett totally ripped his old organization today. He claims that he was being tweaked with. Yeah, because he started sucking, so of course as an organization you’re going to get down to the flaws of a pitcher; especially one that costed $16,000,000 dollars a year. Good riddance, bunghole.

• Johnny says:

Do you have a source where he is quoted?

• Havok9120 says:

……

umad?

• KL says:

He didn’t rip them. He is just in denial. He is a 35 year old power pitcher who doesn’t throw as hard as he use to. You either adjust like Freddy Garcia and Mussina or fail like AJ Burnett. His average fastball velocity was down to 92.7 last year. From 2003 to 2007, he was always around 95. He still pitches like a power pitcher and now can’t get away with mistakes in a strike zone like before.

That’s why people were tinkering with him. Is he that stupid not to realize it? Because the fastball isn’t there. He can’t rare back and throw a 98mph heater down the middle on a 2-0 or 2-1 count like he did with the Marlins and Blue Jays. Even in the NL, if he tries to pitch like he did with the Yanks, he will be a mediocre pitcher.

• sangreal says:

He didn’t rip them (at all) — he didn’t even disagree with you. He said the tweaking started after he had some bad games.

The only thing that sounded remotely negative was his comment that he doesn’t care how the Yankees rotation looks now, but even then his point was just that he is focused on his new team. It was a stupid question.

• Steve (different one) says:

” I got to play with a team that a lot of people won’t get to play with, Hall of Famers, and I played for a great Manager, great city”

Total ripping. What a jerk.

4. Johnny says:

I don’t think he’s exactly ripping anybody.

“I’m not saying it wasn’t fun [in New York]. I get to run around the bases again, hit, things like that. It’s been fun, it’s been great. I have no regrets. I got my ring there. I got to play with a team that a lot of people won’t get to play with, Hall of Famers, and I played for a great Manager, great city. That chapter’s closed. Now, it’s time to move on to the next one.”

5. The Manchine says:

Am I the only one that would’ve preferred Blake DeWitt to Chavez?

6. CJ says:

On the Russell Martin thought, I think romine can play defense well enough to play in 2013 with a quality DH.
    Romine + $10 million DH >> Ibanez + Martin

7. Jamey says:

My friend had a brain fart when the deal was still in process & said how it wasn’t “leaving much time for AJ to get to Pittsburgh”, forgetting about the whole Spring Training down south thing. Then we started joking about the Pirates cutting costs by making them have Spring Training in the North East in March & decided if they continue to suck that absolutely should happen. Pictures of Tabata & Mccutchen angrily stretching in a blizzard. Good times.

8. Monterowasdinero says:

The Pirates had a pretty good first half last year. I hope AJ does well for them.

AJ, Posada, Montero, Noesi, Golson, Kim Jones……who else did we lose?

9. Lincline says:

Just looking for some second opinions for my keeper league team. I have three spots left for 6 guys:

Ryan Braun (round 1)
    Josh Hamilton (round 2)
    Jesus Montero (free agent pickup so last round)
    Bryce Harper (round 16, someone else drafted him than dropped him)
    Michael Pineda (round 23)
    Mike Napoli (round 18)

Any input is welcome.

10. Ted Nelson Loves Russel Branyan says:

Do you guys think Russel Martin will end up as a type A free agent after the season?

• Jesse says:

I believe Russell has two L’s, not one.

• Steve (different one) says:

Don’t think it matters too much, since the yanks would have to offer him what, $12.5M, to be eligible for compensation? Might not be the worst thing in the world to have him on a one year deal, but that is a lot of $$ for Martin.

• Plank says:

There’s no more type A or type B compensation. Players cost a draft pick if they turn down an offer of the average of the top 125 (I think ) salaries in MLB. If they decline, they cost a first round pick, if they aren’t offered that, they don’t cost any picks.

This season they had to make a hybrid system because the new CBA came into effect after the signing period began.

11. CNP says:

a songs off the new Bruce album are leaked on youtube…gonna be an epic cd