Open Thread: 2/21 Camp NotesBy
Day two of workouts is in the books. Here’s the latest from Tampa…
- As always, Chad Jennings has today’s bullpen and hitting groups. The big leaguers all threw yesterday, so today was featured all of the minor leaguers and non-roster invitees. David Adams, Justin Maxwell, and Andruw Jones were the only non-catchers to hit. All three are coming off some kind of injury, though Jones said he feels great and was able to get in better shape this offseason after knee surgery.
- We have our first injury of Spring Training. George Kontos tweaked his oblique during his bullpen session, but hopes he’ll only miss a few days. Joe Girardi suggested that it could be a few weeks, which is no surprise since obliques are tricky. If he does miss more than a few days, he’ll fall behind the rest of the pack in the competition for that last open bullpen spot. [Jennings]
- Adams and Maxwell got a little one-on-one instruction from Mick Kelleher at second and Robbie Thomson in left, respectively. The perks of showing up to camp early, I suppose. [Jennings]
- “I’ll believe it when I see it,” said David Robertson when asked about Mariano Rivera possibly retiring. “When you talk about replacing Mariano Rivera, I don’t think that can be done.” Amen, David. [Jack Curry]
- Joe Girardi accidentally mentioned Eric Chavez when talking about his bench, then backtracked. This is only noteworthy because the two sides have been talking about a contract recently, and this could be taken as an indication that a deal is all but wrapped up. [Joel Sherman]
- The annual team bonding exercise will be held on March 1st, the day before the Yankees’ first exhibition game. [Bryan Hoch]
- If you have ESPN Insider, I highly recommend reading today’s blog post from Buster Olney. He spoke to Michael Pineda and others following the big right-hander’s first official workout as a Yankee yesterday. At this time of year, it’s hard not to get excited when you read stuff like that.
Here is your open thread for the night. All three hockey locals are in action, but talk about whatever you want here. Go nuts.