Feb

Report: Mariners asked about Mason Williams during Pineda trade talks

Via Jon Heyman, the Mariners inquired about the availability of Mason Williams while discussing Michael Pineda with the Yankees earlier this offseason. Heyman also hears that Williams is drawing raves throughout the game, but that’s nothing new really. I have no problem with trading prospects who have yet to sniff full season ball, but there’s no way they could have done both Jesus Montero and Williams in the same package without getting Felix Hernandez back. I suspect we’re going to hear about many teams asking for Mason in the coming years.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. CJ says:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, they asked about Mason Williams as if he would be thrown in the deal with Montero? That Jack Z comes across as a real clown In these reports. Hopefully, he asked about Williams in an expanded deal.

2. JohnnyC says:

Supposedly he asked for Nova before agreeing to Noesi.

• CJ says:

Nova and Montero for Pineda? No wonder the deal didn’t happen till Jan 13. I give Cashman credit for dealing with him after A. Cliff Lee fiasco B. Starting offer Montero and Nova for Pineda.
      I don’t think that’s negotiating. Nova and Montero guarantees a winning trade. There is no way Pineda will outperform Nova to cover the value of Montero. You don’t have to be an experiences GM to see that.

• Tyrone Sharpton says:

It’s called bargaining. You gotta ask higher than the amount you think you can get

• Ted Nelson says:

Plenty of people thought Noesi was a better prospect than Nova. Nova took a huge step forward last year, but that doesn’t guarantee more success going forward than Noesi.

3. Jay Kap Jr says:

YOU CAN’T JUST GO AROUND TRADING GUYS THAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING YEARS TO SEE PLAY FOR THE YANKEES BRIAN!!! GOD! (Napoleon Dynamite Voice)

All joking aside… I do like the trade Cashman eventually pulled off. Must have been hard for Cashman to not laugh into the phone when Mason Williams’ name came up. Kudos to the Ninja.

4. Reggie C. says:

Just seems like prospect hugging to label Mason Williams an untouchable before he’s had full season success.

5. Rey22 says:

Would have done Montero, Nova and Williams+ for Felix. Hell, throw in Banuelos or Betances in there too.

• Slugger27 says:

i wouldnt even have done montero, nova, and williams for felix, but thats cuz im higher on nova than most on this site seem to be. its 5 cheap years of a mid-rotation guy. its not felix has a cheap contract.

• thenamestsam says:

That would go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the game in my opinion. I wouldn’t trade any two of those players for Felix. People still value him the way he deserved to be valued a few years ago. He’s still relatively young, but he’s no longer cheap and he only has two years of team control left. He’s still incredible, but there’s no way he can be enough better than what you can buy for that money (CJ Wilson for example, or hell, even Kuroda) to justify giving up all that stuff to get him. I think Felix and Pineda are quite close in terms of trade value.

• Slugger27 says:

well, hes under contract for 3 years, and will be paid $58M. 3/58 is certainly a bargain, but its not a HUGE bargain, and definitely not worth montero, nova, williams, plus 1 of betances/banuelos.

its a good contract, but not an evan longoria contract

• thenamestsam says:

Sorry, You’re right. The extra year helps some, but I’d still say that a reasonable projection for Felix and Pineda shows them with about the same value. Give Felix a subjective bump for the extra value of aces in the playoffs and any non-linearity in $/WAR and I’d trade more for Felix than for Pineda, but not by a ton.

• CJ says:

Jack Z is a fool if he could have had Montero, Nova, Banuelos, Williams for Felix. That’s a Herschel Walker deal.

• Landry says:

Please do not ever become a GM…unless its for Boston.

6. CJ says:

“OK Jack Z, so it’s Montero, Noesi, Williams for Pineda, Campos, Smoak”

7. CJ says:

Oh you want Nova, fuck you – pay me Ackley

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

How often does a guy that far down in a franchise’s minor league system get asked about in trade talks? Teams must really like what Mason offers.

9. paul a says:

Oh boy, it must be a really slow news day.

10. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Can’t wait to get really attached and excited to Mason Williams over the next 3 years as he dominates the minors, then have them call him up for about a month and have him prove he was worth every bit of the hype, then have cashman trade him in the offseason

• Bo Knows says:

Sacrificing Jesus has just done something we haven’t seen in at least a decade, a stable and very good rotation. Talented position prospects will now become more of the focus now that all of the Yankee hitters are now either in their primes or past their primes.

Its sad that Jesus had to go but it has opened the door for a very good future.

*How about that Jesus really lived up to his names-sake

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Someone’s still bitter.

• RetroRob says:

Don’t worry. By the time Williams reaches the majors, the Mariners will need a CFer, and with Montero getting expensive, he’ll be traded back to the Yankees for Williams.

• Craig Maduro says:

Don’t worry about that yet. Let’s wait to see if he develops some more power and becomes more Shane Victorino/Jacoby Ellsbury (minus the ridiculous power) than Brett Gardner.

Not trying to knock Gardner, but IF that is what Mason becomes, it won’t be a problem to trade him at his peak for an MLB stud.

11. Gerald Williams says:

I want to see Mason play! I don’t know enough about him, anyone have a decent scouting report?

I’m glad Ca$hman held on to Nova. I really hope Pineda pans out. I have a feeling he will be awesome… maybe not this year coming up, but eventually. Felix would have made me less apprehensive about this deal, but I still think we’ll come out alright. I was really excited to see Montero for a full year, but that’s over now. I’ll be enjoying Pineda’s heat, nasty slider (and hopefully) a complementary change-up!

12. William says:

Meh. Matt Kemp Lite, and emphasis on the LITE

• STONE COLD Austin Romine says:

Wut ?

• Craig Maduro says:

I’m gonna say no.

If Matt Kemp is a Smashburger (or just a really good cheeseburger for those of you unfamiliar with “The Smash”), I’m getting the idea that Mason is a chicken salad wrap – still tasty, but definitely not packing anywhere close to the punch.

I think I just pulled my quad with that stretch.

13. BK2ATL says:

Of course they asked about Mason Williams. And then Cashman asked about including both King Felix and Dustin Ackley in the deal too….

14. RetroRob says:

Watching Peter Gammons ramble on MLBN right now about how Curtis Granderson is one of those players who has played for small-market teams and large-market teams, so he has a unique perspective on the transition that others don’t.

Ummm, Granderson has played for the Detroit Tigers and the New York Yankees. Where’s the small-market on his resume?

15. AC says:

Mason is a good 3-4 yrs away. The kid may be really good just gonna have to wait n see how he develops. We haven’t really developed a hitter since Cano and the departed Montero. Cashman with getting Pineda has a solid foundation of arms. CC Pineda Nova for future with Betances and Banuelos knocking on door I can’t see Cashman parting with the these high ceiling players including Williams. If we need offense I’m sure we can go FA route. Pitching wins in playoffs.

16. JobaWockeeZ says:

Let’s take bets on when he’s traded? if he becomes a top 30 prospect next year he’s a goner.

• First Time Poster says:

Honestly, I can’t really think of the last trade Cashman has made that was considered stupid at the time. It seems every deal he has made thus far has been either praised at the time or come under the understanding that he were dealing from a position of strength to shore up one of the teams weaknesses. IF Williams were to be traded, whenever that may be, I have faith in Cashman that he will surely Ninja his was to make it an overall positive for the Yanks.

I loved Jesus as much as the next Yankee fan, and I could see myself falling hopelessly (and perhaps foolishly) in love with Williams; however, that being said Cashman will make sure we all come out smiling in the end.

17. Craig Maduro says:

Trading Mason Williams in the same deal as Montero and Noesi would have been ridiculous for Michael Pineda – and that is not to knock Pineda one bit. I will say this though (and I hope people respond instead of react), I think it could be a good idea to trade Mason Williams sooner rather than later.

At this point he is a super athletic and “toolsy” player. If I remember correctly he has three tools on display at this point (hitting, defense and speed) while the power and arm are to be determined. Now as I said earlier, I’m not trying to knock Brett Gardner. However, if Williams fails to develop any power than there is a very good chance that he becomes Brett Gardner (he could also be a better hitting Gardner, but considering he hasn’t even sniffed full-season ball yet, we won’t give him too much benefit of the doubt.)

If this is the case, it would be best to include him as a centerpiece or co-centerpiece in a deal for whatever stud the Yanks need over the next season or two.