Mar

Open Thread: 3/12 Camp Notes

Safe. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

For the first time this spring, the Yankees are playing a night game. They’re at home against the Astros tonight, but the game will not be broadcast on television. Here’s the Gameday link and here’s the rest from Tampa…

Here is your open thread for the night. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, plus MLB Network will carry a game later on. Talk about whatever you like here, go nuts.

1. Chen Meng Wang says:

Hooray an open thread!!! I’ve wanted to brag about this since Friday, I pitched my first perfect game in my life in The Show with Ivan Nova against the Rays at the Trop on Saturday.

• Eirias says:

Congrats! On to the inevitable question: I’ve bought the last half-decade’s worth of The Show. Is the new version really different enough to warrant a new purchase? The bar for a sale isn’t set particularly high, but when I hear of recycled voice-over commentary touting Minnesota’s brand new (years old) stadium, I shudder.

• Mike Axisa says:

I barely played 10 and 11, so jumping from 09 to 12 has been phenomenal. What a great game.

• Johnny says:

12 is amazing. The broadcast animations are something else, and the commentary is actually good this year. They have done a superb job.

I’ve not started any of the season modes yet because I’m waiting for the opening day rosters to come out. Due to the vagueries of the contract they have with MLB and the Players’ Association they can’t include players until they’ve played an official MLB game. So Darvish isn’t in there for instance, and the free agents aren’t quite accurate. But that will be fixed shortly, and then it will be the complete package.

The developers usually do a great job of rating the players, but A-Rod has taken a massive hit this year. I was surprised at how much of his power they’ve cut compared to last year. Players can edit the rosters themselves, so if that proves entirely inaccurate it’s easy enough to fix, but it got me worried that he might actually be that bad.

• Eirias says:

Wait until Knights comes out with his complete roster on OperationSports. It’s a crowd-sourced projects that includes correct AA, AAA, and MLB rosters and ratings (minors only), as well as equipment/stance corrections for all the players.

• Johnny says:

I only found out about the OperationSports website three or four days ago when I was looking for accurate rosters. Usually I just wait for the official The Show ones, but I’ll probably go with the OS roster this year. Do you when the roster is due out?

• Mike Axisa says:

The OS rosters are fantastic. It’s full minors with an emphasis on top prospects, so the Yankees will have guys like Bichette and Campos this year even though the game doesn’t have a true Single-A level. Their Opening Day set is usually out a day or two after the season starts.

• Johnny says:

Here’s one: I threw a perfect game in MLB 10 with Javier Vasquez.

• Mattchu12 says:

I pitched a no-hitter with Pineda against the Mariners, but I walked like four batters. It was still really exciting though, congrats on the Perfect Game!

• G says:

Awesome! I haven’t thrown one in 12 yet, but I had a perfecto with AJ last year.

One thing that continues to bother me in The Show is how easily batters can homer off of Mo. Last I checked it’s really not that easy…

• Urban says:

I’m thinking Bradbury and The Veldt.

Your words are all strange to me.

• I threw a perfect game in the WS in MVP ’05…with Carl Pavano.

• Jesse says:

Congrats. Hate to rain on your parade, though, but if you did it on MLB 2K 12 while taping it, you’d win a million bucks (That’s if no one else has done it already).

• G says:

I’m pretty sure that’s for the person with the best perfect game. Someone will find a way to K 27 in a row on 3 pitches each and win it.

2. Havok9120 says:

Squeeeeeeeeeeee!

Open thread!

3. Mattchu12 says:

Anybody keen on David Pauley? He just got released by the Tigers, and I’ve always irrationally liked that guy. I remember him pitching really good against us once and I loved how he showed no fear even though it was either his first MLB start or one of his first starts.

4. JerryNYG says:

The Show and Madden may be repetitive to a degree, but I buy both each year. The Show has really made HUGE strides in the last two or so years.

5. Tyrone Sharpton says:

That’s terrible about Burawa. What do you think of DJ Mitchell? Good pitcher, nice late inning option to me but I’m biased

• leftylarry says:

Burawa has good upside, should be an 8th inning type someday, I don’t think Mitchel’s stuff will convert big time in the majors.
      Strictly a long man.

• Urban says:

Burawa was basically a one-inning reliever in A-ball last year. Mitchell has been a starter, and a decent one, throughout his minor league career.

They’re both projected as bullpen arms, with the differnce being Mitchell is still healthy.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

My completely unscientific opinion? I like pitchers that don’t look completely lost their first time out there and throw strikes. It may just be early in ST in Tampa, but Mitchell looked like he belonged. I’d love to see him get a shot this season.

6. 1stbase says:

The stances and pitching motions look unreal, i love to pitch with soriano just to see his

7. CJ says:

Open thread: who’s going 1st in your fantasy drafts? Who would you take first?

• Mike Axisa says:

I had the first pick in the RAB league and took Tulo. Tulo, Cabrera, and Pujols are all fine first overall guys. I went with the toughest position to fill.

8. jjyank says:

Okay, I got my own fantasy question. My league has two Util spots, which are currently occupied by Nick Swisher and Logan Morrison (Justin Upton and Brett Gardner are in my corner spots). I have Brennan Boesch on my bench, and with him hitting in front of Cabrera and Fielder this year, I could see big things out of him. Who should I start?

9. Pasqua says:

Hello smart baseball fans. Need your imput. Which is a better trade for me (Keeper League)?

I give: Halladay and Jayson Werth
    I get: Curtis Granderson and Justin Upton

I give: Halladay and Werth
    I get: Curtis Granderson and Alex Gordon

Any thoughts appreciated.

10. Johnny says:

This year’s All-Star jerseys look TERRIBLE. The PlayStation 3 MLB: The Show franchise typically has the actual All-Star jerseys (for the past two years I’ve played they’ve had the right design) and what they’ve got for this year is poor.

American has solid light blue, National has solid dark blue—no stripes or extra design or anything. I realize those are the Royals’ colors, but you can barely tell the difference between the two teams. And the team name is bland too. Again, I realize they try to match the hosting team’s uniform design, but I’m not feeling it this year.

11. Manny's BanWagon says:

So today, Ozzie Guillen makes an ass out of himself, as usual, getting thrown out of a spring training game versus the Red Sox.

Heaven forbid that another manager gets more attention than Bobby Valentine, who then proceeds to very conspicuously wave goodbye to Guillen more than once as he walks off the field.

If I’m Hal Steinbrenner and the Yankees get into a brawl with the Red Sox, I’ve got $100K in a briefcase for the first person who knocks Valentine’s front teeth out.

12. I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Jeez Montero continues to mash. And yes I will also chime in when he’s in a 4-34 slump. Anyway, the longer this goes on, the more it looks like he really is the real deal. Good for him.

• China Joe says:

He was always the real deal…at the plate.

• Monterowasdinero says:

For those of us who saw him hit the ball in person-there is just no way to describe it. His opposite field power is unparalleled and when he turns on and drives a ball on a line to the left side it is just laser-like. His swings and misses are awesome as well. Watching him play in AAA was like men against boys and HE was the youngest one out there.

• Urban says:

It’s spring training. But, yes, he is the real deal. That’s been a known.

13. Craig says:

Who plays in more games this year? Wright, Chipper Jones, or Utley? And, how many do each of you think they’ll play?

• Mykey says:

I’m inclined to go with Wright just based on age, although I know that’s not the only factor involved here.

I’m convinced Chase Utley is actually perpetually injured, by the way.

• Monterowasdinero says:

Jones was quoted yesterday as saying he is not sure he can make it through the season.

14. Urban says:

So the Pitcher Formerly Known as Fausto Carmona cut a deal and will continue his MLB pitching career. Is this good news for the Indians?

15. SevenAces says:

That picture is dying for a caption.