Mar

Open Thread: 3/19 Camp Non-Notes

The Yankees enjoyed the first of two scheduled Spring Training off-days today, so there’s nothing new to report from camp. The banged up bodies of David Robertson (foot), Robinson Cano (hand), Derek Jeter (calf), Nick Swisher (groin), Russell Martin (groin), and Freddy Garcia (hand) all get some much-needed rest less than three weeks before Opening Day. Andy Pettitte will officially arrive in camp tomorrow, so that’s pretty exciting. Otherwise, today was just a day to take a breather.

Here’s your open thread for the evening. The Rangers, Devils, and Nets are playing tonight, plus MLB Network will be airing a game a little later on. Talk about whatever you like here, go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Mattchu12 says:

Looks like Kuo got cut by the Mariners. Hope he gets a minor-league offer from us, when he was healthy and on, he was pretty filthy. By far a better bet than Willis, imo.

• Urban says:

If he the pitcher who suffers from panic attacks and developed the yips, afraid to throw a baseball?

• AndyisDandy says:

Sounds like a pitcher who has been greatly influenced by Chuck Knoblauch and Khalil Greene.

• Mattchu12 says:

Also known as the pitcher who had a 1.20 ERA over 60 innings in 2010, and an ERA of 3.00 or better in the two two seasons before that.

Assuming you were talking about Kuo.

• Jesse says:

And who held lefty batters to a .095/.159/.111 line in 69 PA’s in 2010 and a .205/.282/.318 line vs lefties in his career.

2. Urban says:

So with the packed AAA rotation, in which rotation will Pettitte be pitching for the first month of the season?

Three starts at A, one at AA, one at AAA?

• Mike Axisa says:

I bet he spends most of his time in Tampa because of the weather. Maybe one or two starts with Trenton since they probably won’t want him traveling with the AAA team.

• DM says:

Exactly. If they were willing to make that first offer, they think he can pitch on the highest level already. This comeback will be treated more like rehab assignment than a proving ground. I doubt it will be driven much by numbers unless they’re ridiculously bad. If he looks like he has his typical stuff, it’ll just be about getting in game shape.

• Steve S. says:

The Yanks won’t need the competition to tell them how he’s throwing. He’s a proven commodity.

• Urban says:

I wasn’t thinking about having him pitch a couple games in AA and AAA to see if he still had it. I was thinking they might want him to face a few more experienced hitters to help him sharpen his pitches before going against MLB hitters for the first time in 18 months. My guess is that’s what they’ll do. Have him build up his legs and pitch some innings in Tampa, and then give him a game or two in AA before it’s up to NY.

3. Craig says:

Phillies projected Opening Day lineup:

Rollins
    Victorino
    Pence
    Thome
    Mayberry Jr
    Polanco
    Ruiz
    Galvis
    Halladay

I know pitching wins, but that team better get off to a hot start, fast.

4. the Oberamtmann says:

Need to know. Are there any decent pc baseball games? I can’t afford a ps2 or 3the to play the show but loved it when roomates had one.

5. Mattchu12 says:

Soria probably looking at Tommy John surgery, this is when we jump and send Soriano and Cervelli to the Royals for Hosmer right? RIGHT?!

• Needed Pitching says:

nah, only if they throw in Alex Gordon and cash

• Craig says:

They have Broxton.

• RetroRob says:

A shame. I remember in 2010 there were teams interested in his services (with the Yankees being one of them if we’re to believe the media), but the Royals didn’t want to trade him yet because he was still cheap and was one of their star names.

A rebuilding team should always cash in on their closers, especially in Soriano’s case. He would have brought back more than most.

• Urban says:

Yeah, I saw that. Certainly doesn’t help the narrative. Actually, I guess it’s just the opposite. It does help the narrative. He shouldn’t be at 3B!

• Mattchu12 says:

I know this is horrible, but I laughed so hard when they did the slow-mo and he had his glove almost on the ground, and then the ball comes into frame directly at eye-level.

He should be at 1B, Prince should be the DH regardless of V-Mart. If they wanted to factor V-Mart into their plans, they shouldn’t have signed Prince who will probably be unable to even stay at 1B in a few years. Great offense, awful defense.

6. Danny says:

When is Pineda’s next start ?

7. Craig says:

So, who else is thanking Cashman for not acquiring this guy?

• Mattchu12 says:

Hand raised. You can probably make the case for Pineda > Ubaldo in the first place based on just pure talent, nevermind the fact that we got to keep all the B’s.

• Alkaline says:

Absolutely. I wasn’t sold on this guy. There were few people I felt comfortable trading Montero for. This guy was not one of them.

• Steve S. says:

I killed the Yanks for not going after him at the time and was dead wrong. Looks like O’Dowd took adavantage of an inexperienced GM in Antonelli.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If you remember back to last summer on here, absolutely no one wanted Ubaldo….

….oh, wait….

• Bo Knows says:

I was well against trading for Ubaldo, based purely on the fact he had spent his career in Colorado

The reasoning behind this is

Colorado, even in the humidor era is a notoriously difficult place to pitch, because of the tendency for pitches to flatten out (due to the lack of humidity the balls do not break as they should in that elevation) so pitchers end up working harder than they would when closer to sea level. (basically 100 pitches in Colorado>>100 pitches anywhere else)

That place is death to pitching, guys wear their bodies out much faster there than anywhere else.

• fin says:

I was against trading for Ubaldo for the package that was being talked about. I never felt like he would be an ace for the Yankees, and they were asking for a package as if he was in the class of CC, Halladay and Felix. That being said, I did think he could be solid number 2 and downside as a number 3. I would have been for acuiring him for the right package. His makeup was always a question while he was in Co. and it seems to be again with Cleveland. Good call by Cashman avoiding that mess.

8. Monterowasdinero says:

Who hits more HR’s to right field this year? Ibanez at YS or Montero at Safeco?

Yes, Jesus hit one out to right center today.

• RetroRob says:

Perhaps a more scary question. Who hits more HRs at Yankee Stadium this year: Ibanez or Montero?

• Monterowasdinero says:

I tried to make it as fair as possible because Raul does not appear to be able to reach the seats in left or center either.

9. bill says:

I did my fantasy draft yesterday, and while I think my team is pretty good, I actually think the yankees are better. That’s pretty crazy.

10. DM says:

“Newman’s response when asked who stands out in minor league camp so far: “(Jose) Campos, the guy we got from Seattle, really looks good.”

• Monterowasdinero says:

I wish we could have seen him throw a few innings with the big team.

• Havok9120 says:

This is why I want him on Prospect Watch so bad. I know I could get the numbers myself from Fangraphs, its just more fun this way.

• Jesse says:

I bet it’ll either be Campos or Betances for the prospect watch. Manny was last year, not sure if he wants to use him again, I don’t know.

• fin says:

It may start out with someone other than Manny, but I think Manny might dominate this year, and if that happens, he would have to be on watch.

11. Corshep says:

I have the second pick in a twelve team league tomorrow and im stuck …

Kemp was insane last year but had a 380
    Babip.
    Braun is so consistent but has the lowest projections and no fielder.
    Pujols had a down year last year but is Pujols.

Any thoughts?

12. Corshep says:

I have the second pick in a twelve team league tomorrow and im stuck …

Kemp was insane last year but had a .380
    Babip.
    Braun is so consistent but has the lowest projections and no fielder.
    Pujols had a down year last year but is Pujols.

Any thoughts?

13. Craig says:

I see your El Duque video and raise you this comedy:

• Havok9120 says:

The El Duque video was way better, and I like a good Vasquez joke.

I’d never seen it before as it predates my serious interest in baseball, and that was hilarious.