Mar

Phelps, Mitchell, Laird, and Kontos all optioned to Triple-A

Via Chad Jennings, the Yankees have officially optioned RHP David Phelps, RHP D.J. Mitchell, 1B/3B/LF Brandon Laird, and RHP George Kontos to Triple-A. All four can still appear in Spring Training games — Phelps will start Thursday’s game against the Red Sox — but they’ve been sent down to start the season. It’s just a procedural move, but it does make the final bullpen spot picture a little clearer. Here’s the first round of roster cuts from last week in case you missed them.

Categories : Asides, Minors, Transactions

1. ROBTEN says:

Is Betances still (technically) in camp? I hate to read anything into that, but if so I do wonder if it means that he’s being given serious consideration as a bullpen option down the road, if not later in the season.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Possible. I also think they may want a closer look at his mechanics. An effective, healthy, Dellin Betances who cuts down on his walks would be a VERY nice thing moving forward for the Yankees.

• Havok9120 says:

This. I’d like to think Rothschild sees something and is tweaking it and wants to see some results before throwing him to the tender mercies of Minor League coaching (not that our AAA coaches are bad….Larry’s just better).

• DM says:

Maybe they’re testing him out in that role in case Robertson has a setback.

2. tyrone sharpton says:

wish they could option Meredith Marakovits back to AAA and call up someone else

• Mike Myers says:

Haha….blocking the other feed will not stop you eh?

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

I noticed “Comments Off” on that Meredith post…looks like they’re trying to keep the site clean..Hahah.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Kinda sad, ain’t it?

• AWESOME Mike says:

yess it is sir, is r trying to take are freedoms of spreech
          just like the bushwrackers taken all the way ti the basnk?

• Slugger27 says:

yeah… been at this site since 07, never wouldve thought avoiding sexual comments would be a priority. it is the internet after all. of course if i was partnered with YES, id listen to them too haha

• DM says:

“partnered with YES”

Bingo! You win the prize for stating the real reason.

• Slugger27 says:

well i dont think the real reason was ever in doubt. i just think its an internet forum… the thought that we’re somehow breaching the sanctity of this place by discussing a sideline reporters hotness is…. laughably absurd.

but again, im not partnered with YES, and if i was id act the same way. not a big deal either way

• It’s not so much about guys like you and DM and Robinson and, sigh, even mustang. Mike mentioned that the Kim Jones thread got pretty nasty, so we decided to nip this one in the bud.

Everyone wants to believe that our every decision is based on our partnership with YES, which, frankly, sucks. Comes with the territory I guess, but you’re basically calling us drones. We’ve had not one word of discussion with anyone from YES about that topic.

Also, thanks for keeping comments on topic, as we request in the guidelines.

• Hypocritical Fan says:

see i did…i was suggesting to option her to triple AAA like the other players. lol hadda get that comment in somehow

• mustang says:

“sigh, even mustang”

Oooh! But I love you guys.

LOL

Heard that you guys are going to Washington I will be hitting Atlanta and Washington on that road trip maybe we can meet. Don’t let the Internet Mustang scare you off I’m actually a very nice guy.

At least that’s what I’m told.

Didn’t know about the Kin Jones thread my bad.

• Slugger27 says:

i dont think everyone wants to believe your every decision is based on your partnership with YES… i think everyone wants to believe your every decision INVOLVING POSTS ABOUT THE YES NETWORK is based on your partnership with YES. its not unreasonable.

but as i said this isnt a big deal. its your site, and frankly, you didnt need to offer any explanation as to turning comments off. i appreciate that you did though. carry on my good man.

• DM says:

At least your comment didn’t get deleted like mine. I dared to ask why comments were turned off.

• mustang says:

I was going to wait to open thread but tyrone sharpton beat me to it (your the man btw) I think she is a step up from Kim but if you look here:

There are some much better choices.

BTW Fuck Censorship

I love you guys.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m not seeing censorship here at all, Mustang. Internet forums set up their own rules. If the guys just want to have a news item, and avoid potential mysoginist crap, it’s their right to disable comments.

• Slugger27 says:

and avoid potential mysoginist crap

rolls eyes

• DM says:

Mike’s planting a seed here; playing chess not checkers.

The goal?

On a freezing drizzle Saturday in January 2017, take your Nyquil, saddle up on the couch, and tune into YES and find out.

Wait for it….

Mike Axisa — Yankeeography.

• Slugger27 says:

seems like a sunday funday power hour type environment would be more suitable for the inevitable hilarity of a tv program like that.

• mustang says:

Agree I’m just a bit tried of all the political correctness in the world. I bit if women ran this site and they had threads on who are the best-looking Yankees the comments sections would be off the wall.

But your right their site their rules.

3. Mike Myers says:

Do you think Phelps would be getting a shot on a weaker pitching team?

• Havok9120 says:

Of course. Any of them would at this point I think. Boston would try them and so would the Angels I think. They seem to be legitimate options for 4/5s….we just don’t need those right now.

4. Cesar "Stairs" Cabral says:

Must….Kill….Clay….Rapada….

5. DM says:

Too little too late for Kontos.

I’m afraid they’re gonna hock a loogy here.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Really had a fantasy of Mitchell-as-Ramiro Mendoza. We’ll need at least one of them during the season once you begin to dip into your 7th and 8th starters. Other than that, like I’ve said before, guys like Phelps, Mitchell, and Warren will have to seize every opportunity given to them in order to crack that rotation. If the team is able to develop one strong starter from their AAA staff, it’ll be fantastic. Doesn’t matter who it is, although my Betances mancrush always like to believe otherwise.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

my Betances mancrush

Yeah, I’m pulling for the 2 B’s, but Mitchell, Phelps and Warren all seem to have the potential to be at least back of the rotation MLB starters. It’s too bad for them that they’re on the Yankees, but it’s great to be a fan of the team! I really feel a couple from this group will get traded this season. Just need the right piece to come along from another team.

7. Naved says:

So we got left is Betances and Warren still left in camp? Betances looked PHILTHY his last time out. Oh here is to hoping he could make the roster that would be such an awesome surprise.