Apr

Yanks will remain on rotation, Garcia starts Saturday

Following tonight’s game, Joe Girardi announced that the Yankees will remain on rotation and Freddy Garcia will start Saturday’s game against the Tigers. Ivan Nova will pitch Friday and CC Sabathia will pitch Sunday. The Yankees could have used Thursday’s off day to skip Garcia and delay his next start until next Monday against the Orioles. That’s what I would have done given how awful Freddy’s been, but whatever.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. Reggie C. says:

The notebook strikes again!

I guess Joe G expects the BaBip crushing Garcia to even out a tad. I think i’ll take the Prince and Cabrera to spearhead a 10 spot.

2. pistol pete says:

It makes sense not to give up on Garcia yet. He’s a veteran who was very good most of last year. It’s really surprising he’s pitching so poorly and lost command. If Hughes implodes like he very well might having Freddy in the five hole after Andy returns is very possible. Freddy’s been pitching like crap but giving him another start still seems like the right thing to do.

3. Manny's BanWagon says:

In Yankeeland, once you get a spot in the starting rotation, the only way to lose it is to commit a murder…maybe.

4. Plank says:

I would imagine Pineda isn’t close enough to return to start thinking about how to alter the rotation, regardless of what all his doctors decide.

I still maintain Pettitte coming back is a long shot, but even if he stays on track, he isn’t close enough either to think about how to alter the rotation at the present time.

Skipping Garcia makes sense, but letting him pitch so he can work out the kinks makes just as much sense.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

With the new wild card rules and Tampa being a pretty damn good team, the objective shoud be to win as many games as possible which in the instance should mean skipping over Freddy especially against a team like Detroit since he’s been just brutal this year.

• mustang says:

This!

• Plank says:

It’s entirely possible though, that letting him pitch rights the ship. It’s also important to remember the relief the Yankees are expecting in the form of Andy Pettitte and Pineda never arrives.

Not saying you’re wrong, just saying that just because you want it to work like that doesn’t mean it will. Skipping Garcia may help the Yankees win more games in 2012, it could also cause the opposite.

• mustang says:

“letting him pitch so he can work out the kinks makes just as much sense.”

Kind of agree, but I would still skip him. He can work out the kinks in 10 days.

5. RetroRob says:

Pineda to get second opinion.

Darvish shuts down Yankees.

Garcia to pitch again!

The.Sky.Is.Falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/RABers

6. mustang says:

I don’t understand why they don’t let Sabathia pitch Sat. on normal rest, Kuroda Sun. who has handled good hitting teams thus far and Garcia can face the light hitting O’s on Mon.

What’s wrong with this plan?

• mustang says:

Correct if I’m wrong but didn’t Sabathia pitch awful with extra rest last year? The guy likes the ball every 5 days why even fuck with it to accommodated Garcia???

Management is smart then me on this one because I’m completely lost on the logic.

• Fin says:

I’m guessing the Yankees want to get Garcia as many starts as possible before Petite is ready. I think they want as much information as they can get on what to do with the pitching staff. Does petite replace Hughes or Garcia? Does Phelps replace one? Does Phelps get sent down? Its really too early to make any solid decisions and getting a few more starts under Hughes and Garcia’s belts before deciding is probably a good idea.

7. Yankee Clipper says:

Ohh my god, lets cross our fingers and pray…

8. pistol pete says:

Great pitching by Kuroda tonight. If he pitches like that all year he’ll win fifteen.

9. DannyC says:

i wonder if phelps will get a shot at the rotation some time during the season. pettite will take garcias spot next month but why not give phelps garcias spot till andy gets back

10. LiterallyFigurative says:

I have no issue with letting Freddy start for the time being. It’s still April. Freddy needs to find his command.

Obviously, Andy’s return will force a move. But I’m still good with letting the guys pitch for now.

Phelps will be on standby.

11. Zach says: