May

Friday Night Open Thread

(Al Bello/Getty Images)

The Yankees don’t open their three-game weekend series with the Athletics for another few hours, so use this open thread to bide your time. The regular game thread will be along a little closer to first pitch. The Mets are playing the Padres (Dillon Gee vs. Anthony Bass) and MLB Network will be airing a game as well (teams depend on where you live), but the biggest game of the night is the Rangers vs. Devil (8pm ET on NBC Sports). If the Devils win, they move on to the Stanley Cup Finals. If the Rangers win, they’ll play a Game Seven. Talk about whatever you like here.

Categories : Open Thread

• Knoxvillain says:

I don’t think the Yanks would if they’re serious about the 189m payroll, which I assume they are.

It was a nice thought, but not too realistic. I was hoping they would sign him though. Let’s be happy that the Twins locked up Mauer before he hit the FA or else he’d probably be catching for us.

• jjyank says:

Ah well. I really don’t have a problem with the defense first catcher type. I’m far more worried about the rest of the roster than I am about the potential #9 hitter. Martin on the cheap wouldn’t bother me.

I had a bad feeling that if the Yankees signed M Montero or Napoli, it wouldn’t work out well. No reasoning at all, just my gut speaking.

1. Knoxvillain says:

I really, really hate West Coast games.

• jjyank says:

I actually like them. I’m up that late anyway, and because it’s a Friday, I’ll be good and toasted for the game by the time it starts!

2. Countryclub says:

For the few that are interested, Metallica is streaming live from Rio right now on you tube’s live channel.

3. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Do we root for Boston or Tampa this weekend?

• Knoxvillain says:

Boston, because they won’t be in the playoffs this year.

• Bo Knows says:

never root for Boston

• jjyank says:

THIS. It would be against every moral fiber in my being.

Maybe this sounds mean, but I will root for…injuries. Nothing career threatening, but a few hammy pulls on both sides would be nice.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

The way things have been going for the Red Sox, they’d be lucky if someone *only* suffers a hammy pull.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I live in St. Pete, so fuck the Rays and their hot start to the season.

Fuck the Red Sox on principle.

Shockingly, it’s easier right now to “pull” for Boston, for me. That said, I don’t want “2 of 3″ on either side. I want a straight sweep.

4. Chad Gaudin the Friendly Ghost says:

We don’t get My9 in my area, just YES. So I turned on YES and saw Yankeeography and slammed my remote in disgust that I was going to miss a second game this week.

Jokes on me, it’s a west coast game.

• Knoxvillain says:

It’s okay. I was on vacation in North Carolina the past several days and was looking forward to see how they played last night. When I got on ESPN to check the box score, my day was ruined.

5. DERP says:

Rutckyj is pitching again. I’m kinda excited.

• Bo Knows says:

He’s caught Betances syndrome…he’s walked four (as of right now)

Speaking of Betances he’s walked 5 and he’s in the 2 inning

• jjyank says:

*sigh*

I really like Betances as prospect, but he just can’t keep walking this many guys and expect to remain a starter. I really hope he puts it all together, but he is just asking to be bullpen’d.

• OldYanksFan says:

Over his MiLB career, Betances has BB’ed more than 4.5/9. In AAA, it’s over 7.5/9. Sorry, but that doesn’t even play in the BP.

• dixie_flyer says:

I don’t think that you can even count on him as a reliever…he had an ugly line tonight: 2 IP’s, 2 Hist, 4 BB’s, 3 ER…and only 31 of 65 pitches were strikes…I hate to say it, but when I see him on the mound he reminds me of Daniel Cabrera

• Knoxvillain says:

Betances will never be anything. I like him, but I’d be surprised if he ever played on the Yankees again. He needs to go to the bullpen or cut down on the walks.

• Bo Knows says:

Betances problems all lie in his legs, he has an insanely long stride that makes him prone to both collapsing on his backleg (which causes his pitches to miss way way up) and leaves him finishing in a crouching position while literally stumbling off the mound. He has a consistent arm angle, but his lower half makes it almost impossible for him to be able to hit the zone.

I’ve read that the AAA pitching coach and Betances are trying to shorten his stride, they’ll need to keep tweaking until they find that perfect balance.

6. New Balance Cleats says:

Does anyone else find Jerry Remy’s voice incredibly annoying?

7. Mariano's Pimp Hand says:

I’m really enjoying the photos from Al Bello that have been posted on these threads recently.

8. Kramerica Industries says:

Lets go Rangers.

9. Paul VuvuZuvella says:

Ugly night for the River Dogs.

10. Greg says:

Devils score. They are up 1-0

11. Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

6 runs for the Rays against Lester so far in 3.1 innings.

Hahahahaha.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

Make that 7 runs!

• Kramerica Industries says:

Seems like the Rays have had quite a few games over the years where they pounded Lester.

The fact that an offense as bad as their does so is pretty annoying.

• Mo says:

“The fact that an offense as bad as their does so is pretty annoying.”

The Rays have scored more runs than the Yankees this year. That they have done so without the consistent presence of two of their best hitters (Jennings and Longoria on the DL) indicates they are not a bad offense.

• Tom says:

Red Sox announcers blaming the strikezone… 3HR’s is not a strikezone issue.

Lester has not been good this year. He has 3 good starts… SEA, CHI, DET; not exactly powerhouse offenses. He also had a start of 3ER against Tor in 8 innings.

Doubront is now the only starter in Boston with an ERA under 4.00

• Mo says:

The White Sox offense is surprisingly above average but point taken–Lester has been awful, along with the rest of their SPs. I simply object to claims that the Rays offense isn’t good when it is quite good. Might have misunderstood you.

• Tom says:

That wasn’t me talking about the Rays. They have a pretty decent offense (and last year as well – they were 3% above league average).

They play in a fairly extreme pitchers park – this leads to the hitters being a bit under-rated, and the pitching being a bit over-rated.

The White Sox as a team have a wRC+ of 96 (4% below average) and are 7th in the AL in runs scored. I’m not sure they are above average – they get helped a bit by the park.

12. Greg says:

Make that 2-0 New Jersey as they score on the power play

13. Kramerica Industries says:

Rangers have looked terrible this entire series.

Ryan Callahan and Brad Richards need to step up and be the leaders they are expected to be. Otherwise, this series will be over in a couple hours.

14. bob says:

Gaborik has been horrible..go yanks !

15. DERP says:

God late games suck. I’ve been watching the Orioles Royals game and it is boring as hell.

16. Greg says:

Rangers answer with a goal about halfway through the second period 2-1 Devils

17. Kramerica Industries says:

Huge goal by Fedotenko.

Still need to get the second one in order.

18. Greg says:

So far in this series (at least the games that I have seen) is that the Devils win the first period and the Rangers win the second.

19. Kramerica Industries says:

Score!

2-2, just like that. The captain with the deflection.

20. New Balance Cleats says:

How’s everyone’s fantasy teams doing?

Lincecum, Gallardo, and JJ have pretty much ruined mine.

21. Greg says:

Rangers have tied the game in the second period. The pattern continues.

22. Greg says:

Again, if the Rangers win the Cup that’s fine. I just dont want people making fun of New Jersey because it will shred my already thin self-confidence.

• Kramerica Industries says:

If I may ask…

thin self-confidence over what, exactly? I hope it’s not due to sports fandom, because developing low self-confidence over something you hold no control over is no way to go through life.

• Greg says:

No its self confidence in everything. When it is very low, you reach for what you can get. You don’t think Boston fans feel proud and confident that they root for Tom Brady?

• Greg says:

I’m not even a hockey fan but I rooted for the Devils in 2003 and have watched highlights from 1995. It makes me feel good. It might be a form of bandwagon jumping but I need as much as I can get

• Kramerica Industries says:

I’ve had plenty of bouts with mental uncertainty and self-confidence in the past. I know where this stuff comes from, and I agree that it really sucks.