May

Pettitte will start for Yankees on Sunday

Via Marc Carig, left-hander Andy Pettitte will officially return to the Yankees this weekend and start against the Mariners on Sunday. Brian Cashman made the announcement this afternoon.

Pettitte, 40 next month, had mixed results in his various minor league tune-up starts, including five runs in five Triple-A innings this past weekend. For what it’s worth, Ken Rosenthal spoke to a scout who said Andy’s stuff “lacked crispness” in his latest minor league outing. Pettitte got his pitch count up to 95 in his last two starts, so stamina isn’t a huge concern. Obviously there will be quite a bit of rust to shake off after a year away from the game.

Ivan Nova is currently lined up to start Sunday, but that doesn’t really mean anything. Phil Hughes is scheduled to start Saturday and David Phelps on Monday, and I would count on one of them moving to the bullpen to accommodate Pettitte. The smart money’s on Phelps.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. art vandelay says:

whoop !

of the top of anyones head …. who would have normally started on sunday?

2. Bavarian Yankee says:

nice. Welcome back Andy.

3. Cris Pengiucci says:

Hope he’s ready and up tot he task. Anxiously looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

4. jon says:

Vs the Mariners eh

so its going to be a AAAA start for andy

5. -Mac- says:

I believe you are correct sir, makes the most sense. Let Hughes continue until he pitches himself out.

6. Fin says:

I would have liked for them to give Andy one more start at AAA. I think it would have been good for him as he hasnt been sharp and it would have given them another look at Hughes and Phelps. Hughes has shown improvement over his last couple outings but I wouldnt have minded seeing him one more time before moving Phelps out of the rotation.

With Phelps seeming to be destined for middle inning relief, I hope they send him down to AAA and keep him stretched out as a starter. There are plenty of guys to fill that role. I think we will see Phelps back in the rotation sooner rather than later.

7. Urban says:

I was figuring another start against AAA hitters would help him shake off some more of the rust and help with his command before facing major leaguers.

Yet not surprised the Yankees decided to have him debut at home, and against the Mariners, who some may view as a AAA lineup.

8. Bonnie Parker says:

Great news. With the loss of Mo we could really use Andy. The team has been lifeless over the past week. Swisher’s return helped and Andy will help even more. 3-4 against teams like the Os and Royals won’t win us the division. Longoria is out so this is the time to capitalize.

• Steve (different one) says:

Checks…

Yup, the O’s are tied for the best record in baseball.

Obviously they aren’t this good, but maybe we shouldn’t be thinking about them as doormats anymore?

9. Erica says:

Alright!!!

(I feel like I need to jump up and kick my legs out sideways, pumping my fist as though I were in an 80s movie – and then the shot would just freeze. That is the excitement level here.)

10. JonS says:

Fate says Montero will go 4-5 with 2HR, 3B, 1BB, 1K, a double shy of the cycle.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

No that would be off of Pineda.

• Josh S. says:

As long as the Yankees win, I don’t care what Montero does!

• Erica says:

Nooooo, not a Montero comment!

• Havok9120 says:

I, one of the Lords of “STOP THE MONTERO UPDATES” was about to say the same thing.

Murphy’s Law (and a vengeful God who’s still ticked at me for ruining his prelate’s fancy hats) demands that the outcome be this so that we can have a comment thread full of silly posts about how this is proof that we should have kept him because “he was obviously built for Yankee stadium…”

• Erica says:

HAHAHAHA, I was thinking the same thing. I want Montero to pwn n00b-Andy just so everyone can lament about his greatness.

Listen, I love Montero as much as the next person but what’s done is done guys! It’s like stalking your ex’s Facebook twice a day – they’re not in your life anymore, so move on, please!

• Urban says:

Montero comments will have to be allowed during the Mariners’ series.

• jjyank says:

It’s not like they’re not allowed now. His name still shows up in every other thread.

• Havok9120 says:

Will we at least hear all the people who “aren’t complaining, just updating everyone on what a Yankee farmhand is doing,” give us input if he goes 0-4? They never seem to do that right now. Oddly, they nearly all disappear on those nights, and those that stay don’t give us an update…

• GardnergoesYardner says:

I might just abandon the site for the weekend. Otherwise my computer might crash from all of the comments every time Montero gets a hit.

• Midland TX says:

My issue isn’t with Montero comments per se. It’s with dumb Montero comments that state or imply that nobody knew how awesome his potential is. Nobody is surprised when he hits homers out to right-center at Safeco, or knocks in the tying run in the 9th with a double, like he did last night (or runs off the field after the second out, like he did last night).

If you can’t (or pretend not to be able to) understand that that the trade was a potential killer bat for a potential killer arm, that was intended to strengthen each team’s main weakness, then STFU and GTFO.

• RetroRob says:

If nothing else, the pitching issues the Yankees have been having confirm why Cashman was targeting a high-end, young arm. More valuable to the team than a DH, ocassional catcher.

Still hoping the plan unfolds the way it was designed, but a year later now.

• pat says:

Lol, he’ll manage to hit a triple?

11. OldYanksFan says:

OOH NOOOOO ANDY WILL HAVE TO PITCH TO TEH JESUS!!! DUCK!!!

12. Slu says:

I hear that Phil’s stuff really plays up in the bullpen, so maybe they will move him there?

I am only half kidding….

13. Jesse says:

Can’t wait!

14. Cy Pettitte says:

Andy Pettitte is a startin’ pitchah!

15. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

I think Felix is pitching Saturday so that is good news for Andy. Cautiously optimistic for him.

16. V says:

Crap. I would be able to go Sat or Fri but not Sun

17. Manny's BanWagon says:

I would have liked for him to have pitched better in AAA for a start or 2 before throwing him in against a major league team but as Mike said above, the Mariners seem to fit the bill.

• jjyank says:

I would have liked to see him get another start in AAA, but not because of the results. I really put no stock in that stuff, I’m sure Andy was throwing 3-2 changeups and other pitches in situations he wouldn’t normally just to work on getting himself ready. But yes, if he’s going to start somewhere, the M’s offense isn’t much better than some AAA offenses, so whatevs.

18. Knoxvillain says:

The Yankees are so stupid. Less than five minor league starts and they’re already calling this Pettitte guy up? They will ruin him just like they ruined Joba.

19. The Moral Majority is Neither says:

I like Mitchell in the long role, so Phelps in AAA to start makes sense to me.

20. Havok9120 says:

Ah, sure, they’ve called him up….

BUT IS HE IN STEINBRENNER’S BOX??!

21. Bullwinkles says:

Am I the only one that’s not all that confident about Pettitte coming back and doing well. He seemed to get hit around in the minors, so why would he better up in the majors? I have to agree that I would have liked to see him do better in the minors before I called him up. Don’t call him up for nostalgia’s sake, make sure he will do better than Phelps or Hughes.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think it’s difficult for a 40 year-old guy to come back after a year off. Yes.

You have to temper how much stock you put into those rehab results. Yes, we’d feel a lot better if that last start went “he put it all together and went 8IP, 0ER, 0BB, 8K,” but the fact remains that guys making rehab starts are going to make very different decisions on the mound than in an actual game. With a veteran like Andy, you give him the benefit of the doubt that he’ll know what’s working come gametime.

• jjyank says:

This. I said something similar above somewhere, but in his minor league starts, Andy is not pitching a game like he would for real. He’s trying to get his pitches where they need to be. Just for an example, let’s say Andy’s fastball and changeup are major league ready, but the curve is lagging behind. Andy is gonna throw that curve in situations that might normally call for a fastball or a change, because he needs to get the repetition in for that pitch. None of this was true, I have no idea where Andy’s pitches are individually, but the concept is the point.

• Bonnie Parker says:

He probably doesn’t care if he gets hit around in the minors because he’s working on his different pitches in various counts. I think he’ll be fine. Andy knows how to pitch. Moyer is 10 years older and still chugging along.

22. OMG! Bagels! says:

I’m glad Andy is coming back. Fingers crossed that it’s Andy and not the ghost of Andy. We need some good news.

• jjyank says:

I’m optimistic. Cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. I take comfort in Andy going out with a good year (minus the DL stint) in 2010. He clearly had something left in the tank when he walked away from the game, so I think he still does.

23. Stormy says:

I am quite excited, I got tickets for my family on Saturday for Mother’s Day and Andy is my mother’s favorite player. Going to be a great day! But now the question remains, is this the Andy Pettitte of old?

24. Darren says:

To-day is a great day! Andrew will pitch a 17 inning shutout, much the same as he once did in yesteryear, as green young rook, in 1897 playing for the old SpiderEaters of The Bronx.

/A.B. Cockleswaite, The Afternoon Picuyne

25. Dalelama says:

The smell of panic is quite malodorous.

26. Tom says:

So does Phelps get sent to AAA? or do they DFA Garcia (and put Phelps back in the long man role?

I can’t see them carrying 2 LOOGY’s and 2 long man again; and I’d hate to see Phelps used in short relief.

Though after going a week with a 2 man bench, Girardi may see a 2 man bench as a luxury and go the 8 man pen again?

27. GardnergoesYardner says:

So glad for Andy that he is finally back in MLB. Hopefully he can provide some quality innings, but I feel a bit more comforted just seeing his name there.

Plus if he pitches well we can sign him to a 9 year deal so he can catch Moyer in all of those useless categories that he holds the record in.

28. RetroRob says:

I’m hoping Phelps goes out tomorrow and throws 95 pitches, seven innings, three hits, no walks, no runs and strikes out seven.

The discussions it will cause will be great.