May

Yankees claim Ryota Igarashi off waivers from Blue Jays

Via Dan Barbarisi, the Yankees have claimed right-handed reliever Ryota Igarashi off waivers from the Blue Jays. He’s been optioned to Triple-A Empire State and Brad Meyers was transferred to the 60-day DL to clear a 40-man roster spot.

Igarashi, 33, owns a 6.17 ERA and a 4.42 FIP in 70 big league innings with the Mets and Blue Jays. He can strike guys out with a mid-90s fastball and a mid-80s splitter (8.87 K/9 and 20.6 K%), but he’s also walk prone (6.17 BB/9 and 14.3 BB%). Seems like a move designed to add a little up-and-down bullpen depth due to David Robertson‘s injury.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

*cue faux outrage*

2. Cuso says:

Well at least they didn’t grab Marquis off waivers. I think he’s the only pitcher they haven’t grabbed.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

No need for Marquis. Enough fringe veteran starting arms in AAA taking up the innings the youngsters aren’t right now.

3. I had really high hopes when Igarashi came to the States. Maybe some time in Triple A could help him figure thing out.

4. Fernando says:

Claiming Marquis would have been a bigger cost. I think his salary was around 3M.
    Isn’t there enough depth already at AAA? I counted 7 guys pitching relief (Cedeno, Bulger, DelCarmen, Thomas, Whelan, Whitley and O’Connor), so he makes 8.

• Havok9120 says:

There’s enough depth if you think that the current MLB ‘pen plus Robertson is what we’ll see the rest of the season.

5. viridiana says:

Guess Whelan will never get a chance.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This signing is unrelated to whatever small chance Kevin Whelan has of being a reliever for this franchise.

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

Like clockwork, I’m being made fun of by my Met fan friends, of course.

• steve s says:

It’s two in one week with John Maine. Manny Acosta is probably next (at least he was a former Yankee farmhand!)

7. sabathiasgut says:

Rangers grab Oswalt and the Yanks take this fool? typical

8. M-Three says:

Great we brought in another Chan Ho Park. Hopefully we never have to see this guy pitch for the big league team. Other than D-Rob returning, I’m still hoping that our relief help will come from David Aardsma being available in late-July.

9. Cuso says:

Hello. Clearly, I wasn’t serious about Marquis. I was saying I was surprised we didn’t since it seems we’re jumping on every schmuck that hits the ww.

I’m hoping Iggy here is just an organizational depth move.

10. Cuso says:

I hear Oliver Perez is still out there floating around.

(Lloyd Christmas voice) : “Pick ‘em up!!”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and there would be Mets fans out there who’d go, “watch dat damn Ollie tuhn into a stah in da Bronx….”