Jun

Cano joins Jeter & Granderson among leading All-Star vote-getters

Robinson Cano overtook Ian Kinsler in the fan voting for the starting second base spot in next month’s All-Star Game, MLB announced. Cano leads by roughly 97,000 votes and is second in the AL with 3.5 fWAR. He trails only Mike Trout. Yeah, the kid’s been good. Curtis Granderson is second to Josh Hamilton among outfielders and remains in position to start the game along with Robbie and Derek Jeter. Mike Napoli, Prince Fielder, Adrian Beltre, Jose Bautista, and David Ortiz are scheduled to start at the other positions.

You can vote for the starters up to 25 times per email address through midnight ET this Thursday; here’s the ballot. I’m not sure if the Yankees will have any All-Stars beyond Derek, Cano, and Granderson. CC Sabathia could get the call again and I suppose there’s a chance Rafael Soriano could make it as well.

Categories : All Star Game, Asides

1. Ethan says:

Sigh. Another year, another bunch of players that are completely undeserving of all star recognition getting in over more deserving players. How on earth is Michael Young, Nelson Cruz, Daniel Murphy, Mike Napoli in line to get all star selections even if some are reserves.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Because baseball makes it about the players the fans want to see, not who is having the best year. Well, at least for position players.

I’ve had my issue with it in the past. I’ve made my peace with it.

• jjyank says:

True, but it would bother me a lot less if the winner wasn’t used to determine home field advantage in the playoffs.

• Get Phelps Up (formerly Freddy Garcia's 86 mph Heat) says:

I’ve said this before, if the game “counts” then the manager should not have to get every player in the game, he should be able to do whatever it takes to win. Let Verlander go out there for 7 innings and then hand it off to the bullpen instead of having to get a new pitcher every inning. You shouldn’t have to replace your lineup with inferior players just so everyone can see them get 1 AB or pitch 1 inning or make a routine play in the field.

• Ethan says:

My comment should be David Murphy not Daniel.

Dear RAB editors, writers any chance on getting an Edit function for the threads?

2. Robinson Tilapia says:

What about the alternate “RAB Troll” ASG? Who are the leading vote getters there? Where do Cano, Granderson, and Jeter stand?

3. jjyank says:

I never really understood why you can vote 25 times. Does the MLB just want the number of votes to be shinier?

• Ethan says:

25 per day, per email. It’s too much. Give it 5, 10, 25 times per IP address and let that be that.

• jjyank says:

I really don’t see the need for more than 1 vote.

• Ethan says:

Unless people wanted to vote throughout the voting period. Like vote the the best players when voting opens and then the best players are the end. I think one vote, one or two weeks before the ASG would be the best.

• jjyank says:

Yeah, that’s not a bad idea I suppose. I just feel like having so many votes just allows the people with nothing better to do more of a voice.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Stuffing the ballot box. When I was a teen, we litterally did that for the ASG. They had paper ballots and we’d get as many as we could stuffed into the boxes. Same thing now, just electronically.

• Hardy says:

There are about 25 home games during the voting period. At one ballot per game, season ticket holders can vote about 25 times by paper ballot. The same “logic” now applies to online voting.

4. Brian S. says:

Reserves:
    C-Matt Wieters, AJ Pierzinski
    1B-Prince Fielder, Mark Trumbo
    2B-Jason Kipnis, Ben Zobrist
    SS-Asdrubal Cabrera, Derek Jeter
    3B-Adrian Beltre, Miguel Cabrera
    OF-Austin Jackson, Josh Reddick, Josh Willingham, Jose Bautista, Matt Joyce, Curtis Granderson
    DH-Adam Dunn, Edwin Encarnacion

5. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Just like there’s an online “Hall of Merit”, we should come up with an All-Merit team each year made up of the actual best players each year as opposed to who the fans want to see.

I haven’t researched the players enough to make one myself yet, but it could be a fun exercise.

6. Cano fan #1 says:

That’s my men

7. RI$P FTW says:

“Of all the unimportant things to waste your time on!!!”

Suzyn